Hatcher on ’12 Cowboys: “I felt like God had just cursed us”

Jason Hatcher AP

Cowboys defensive tackle Jason Hatcher has an explanation for last year, and it makes as much sense as anything else around there.

Talking about the series of problems from injuries to the death of teammate Jerry Brown, Hatcher said he wondered if the team had been cursed.

“I don’t want to go back to last year,” Hatcher said, via Rainer Sabin of the Dallas Morning News. “That was a long season. That was a long season. It was a roller-coaster ride. I felt like we had a curse on us.

“I was like, ‘What did somebody do to God?’ I felt like God had just cursed us and we just had to deal with it. That’s the way I felt. Every time we’d get a little bit of daylight, here comes the darkness. Please don’t bring up last year. We just roll in and start off with the Giants and continue to play great. I hope God just keeps everybody safe on this team. We can go and win some ballgames and do what we need to do.”

Of course, the Almighty has apparently decided that the Cowboys go thorugh some adversity, as Hatcher is surrounded by injured teammates up front.

But as long as the locusts don’t show up, having Jay Ratliff on the PUP list and Anthony Spencer iffy seems like something they can overcome.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Hatcher on ’12 Cowboys: “I felt like God had just cursed us””
  1. trodriguez89 says: Sep 5, 2013 7:02 AM

Ya because God cares about football.

2. thegronk87 says: Sep 5, 2013 7:07 AM

Not really…the cowboys just suck

3. andygraham says: Sep 5, 2013 7:10 AM

Don’t blame God. Jerry Jones is the curse.

4. scoonie97 says: Sep 5, 2013 7:19 AM

Yes, it was God’s fault…

And Alfred Morris played the part of Moses in week 17.

5. logicalvoicesays says: Sep 5, 2013 7:34 AM

They don’t call the Redskins God’s Team for nothing folks. #DivisionandsoontobeSuperBowlChampsDealwithIt

6. sportsmeccabi says: Sep 5, 2013 7:41 AM

My god put the curse on you.
    My god is more powerful than yours!

7. uncletuna says: Sep 5, 2013 7:47 AM

Any curse would be because Jerry Jones brought it on the Cowboys…

He doesn’t know football and his empowerment will prevent him from seeing that he’s a failure in his approach to managing his team…

8. southernpatriots says: Sep 5, 2013 7:48 AM

I understand Hatcher not wanting to remember much about last season. Tebow is now unemployed. Hire him as a “curse breaker” or more realistically the public relations/community relations agent with emphasis on kids and the ‘Boys will at least have have happy young fans.

Winning takes care of all these problems. That is true for the ‘Boys, and all teams.

9. exboomer says: Sep 5, 2013 7:48 AM

If you want to see a cursed team look no further than the Bills. The Flutie curse is alive and well.

10. Stupid Lions Fan says: Sep 5, 2013 8:10 AM

Somebody did something to god, so he/she cursed the Cowboys. Got it.

11. kayakattack says: Sep 5, 2013 8:14 AM

Not as much a curse as there were just 31 better football teams last year

12. tv426 says: Sep 5, 2013 8:23 AM

Yes, divine entities are controlling the fate of the Boyz!

13. cowpiesnotcowboys says: Sep 5, 2013 8:30 AM

They are cursed. It’s not only the injuries. It’s having an owner like JJ who thinks he can be an effective GM. It’s years of mediocre drafts leaving them with a few stars but no depth. It’s having a quarterback with just enough skill to tease but not enough consistency to make it deep into the playoffs. It’s overpaying their skill players so badly that they can’t fill in the gaps through free agency. It’s being just good enough to appear that they could make the playoffs but then falling short year after year, but not playing poorly enough to get the top players in the draft.

It’s perfect!

14. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins says: Sep 5, 2013 8:57 AM

If I had omnipotent power, I’d definitely use it to make sure they choke every year just so I could get a good laugh at Jerry Jones’ expense. So yeah, this theory holds up.

15. conormacleod says: Sep 5, 2013 9:02 AM

Cursed you with Tony Romo.

16. gibson34 says: Sep 5, 2013 9:35 AM

injuries were definitely our problem last year. stay healthy and we bring home number 6 SB.

REST OF NFC EAST BLOWS.

HOW BOUT THOSE COWBOYS!!!1

17. harrisonhits2 says: Sep 5, 2013 9:39 AM

This is the kind of moronic statement from players that drive me nuts.

The world is currently full of wars, mayhem, starvation and thousands upon thousands of serious problems and yet this idiot thinks “god” is worried about a football team.

18. ilovemyringlessfranchise says: Sep 5, 2013 9:51 AM

He doesn’t have to curse you, you have Jerry Jones for that.

19. cometkazie says: Sep 5, 2013 10:48 AM

What goes around comes around.

20. nananatman says: Sep 5, 2013 10:56 AM

Don’t count out the locusts yet, I’m just trying to get 50,000,000 into this stupid little see-through-bag. Can’t even put them in Mrs. God’s purse cause they won’t let her into the stadium unless it is the size of a pencil case.

21. axespray says: Sep 5, 2013 2:34 PM

Meanwhile the 2010 and 2012 Packers just go and clinch a playoff spot in spite of having a ton of starters on IR.

22. detroitkillas says: Sep 5, 2013 5:11 PM

Just keep god and religion out of my football!!!