LaMarr Woodley doesn’t want to come off the field

LaMarr Woodley AP

The Steelers are going to start Jason Worilds at one outside linebacker spot, but will doubtless want to make sure rookie Jarvis Jones gets plenty of snaps too

As long as those snaps don’t come at the expense of the other starter, LaMarr Woodley is cool with that.

Woodley didn’t seem to care for the question about whether Jones might cut into his time.

Part-time player? I don’t think so,” Woodley said, via Alan Robinson of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “The only time I’ve been a part-time player is due to injuries these past two seasons. Other than that, no, I never have been.”

Woodley hasn’t been as productive in the last year and a half because of injuries, with just 4.0 sacks last year. With James Harrison gone, and two largely unknown commodities on the other side, it’s crucial that he get back to his 2008-10 form, when he had 35 sacks.

But yielding his spot to Jones for any amount of time isn’t anything Woodley seems interested in.

“It hasn’t been like that in all the years I’ve been starting [since 2008], and I don’t think it’s going to be like that any time soon, but I guess we’ll have to see on Sunday,” Woodley said. “It’s not like I’m a new player in this defense. When it’s time to go out there and play, I’m going to continue to do what I’ve always been doing, getting after the quarterbacks, doing a great job against the run. And when I’m dropping into coverage, doing good in my coverage responsibilities.

“Everybody knows what I can go out there and do.”

And coming Sunday, we’ll find out how much of it the Steelers intend for him to do.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
44 Responses to “LaMarr Woodley doesn’t want to come off the field”
  1. stillers213 says: Sep 5, 2013 11:36 AM

If you want to stay on the field, then losing that spare tire from last season was a good place to start.

2. crownofthehelmet says: Sep 5, 2013 11:37 AM

Instead of talking about it, go out there and prove you shouldn’t be taken out. Who cares about what you’ve done since 2008, this is 2013.

3. dexterismyhero says: Sep 5, 2013 11:39 AM

They need a full back LaMary.

4. stoogy says: Sep 5, 2013 11:44 AM

He wont have to worry about coming off the field this defense won’t be able to stop any one all season with that horrible pass rush with no covering ability in the secondary. Going to be a sad day in western PA no one is going to want to talk.

5. Steeley McBeam says: Sep 5, 2013 12:09 PM

2013-14 NFL Comback Player of the Year.

6. bobzilla1001 says: Sep 5, 2013 12:34 PM

Seems kinda odd that people don’t use that same “what have you done for me lately” mentally toward the highest paid player on the team, who has “led” his offense to back-to-back 22nd rankings in scoring and hasn’t performed well in a BIG game since the final minutes of Super Bowl 43.
    Steelers fans, myself included, ought to be second-guessers and demanding. That’s all part of being a fan. But most of the time, those second-guessing demands are directed at the wrong parties…
    Funny that a No. 1-ranked defense gets most of the criticism while the other side of the ball goes unscathed, unnoticed and mostly revered.

7. jtbsteeler says: Sep 5, 2013 12:39 PM

#1 defense again and will dominate and confuse Flacco two more times.

8. citizenstrange says: Sep 5, 2013 1:08 PM

In 2011 Roethlisberger scored a whopping seven points in the opening blowout loss to the Ravens.

Last year Roethlisberger scored 19 points but threw a soul crushing pick six with 1:48 left in the game to seal the loss to the Broncos.

And these were at the START of the season when there shouldn’t be an injury excuse for abysmal play.

I guess we’ll see how this opener goes against the lowly Titans who held Roethlisberger to 23 in a Steeler loss last year.

FUN FACT: In 2012 the Titans had the worst scoring defense in the entire NFL — as in rankd #32 — giving up an average of 29.4 points a game.

9. scoobies05 says: Sep 5, 2013 1:12 PM

hey jb….read bobzilla’s post and then remind yourself who won the superbowl last year. and bob…hope your season is enjoyable(other than for a certain 2 weeks)

10. crownofthehelmet says: Sep 5, 2013 1:17 PM

bobzilla, I’m curious…how did you think Roethlisberger was playing the first 10 weeks of last season?

11. walkinginthewasteland says: Sep 5, 2013 1:17 PM

bobzilla1001 says: Sep 5, 2013 12:34 PM

____

Drivel.

Utter drivel.

Ben, the crappy o-line, the crappy RBs, the crappy play calling and the crappy WRs get plenty of flack.

12. steelcurtainn says: Sep 5, 2013 1:17 PM

I expect Big things from Woodleyafter an off year last year. Its put up or shut up for the Wood! Pittsburghs defense will be intact for another top 5 finish(at least) if not number 1 regardless.

13. crownofthehelmet says: Sep 5, 2013 1:27 PM

In 2012 Flacco completed a whopping 52% completion rate and 23 pts in the Wk 2 loss to the Eagles.

FUN FACT: In 2012 the Eagles had the third worst scoring defense in the entire NFL — as in rankd #30 — giving up an average of 27.8 points a game.

14. Joemontanaflacco says: Sep 5, 2013 1:29 PM

Is everyone on the Steelers so self absorbed? What a diva! Check out the Ravens for the definition of teamwork.

15. crownofthehelmet says: Sep 5, 2013 1:53 PM

“Check out the Ravens for the definition of teamwork.”

Was that the Ravens pre-”I’ve got my money and will get plenty more” speech?

16. stillers213 says: Sep 5, 2013 1:55 PM

People are forgetting that a big part of last season’s problems on offense was the horrendous play of the WR group as a whole – all of them! Wallace was particularly bad and has no clue how to get up and fight for the ball. Brown and Sanders kept booting the ball after the catch.

17. scoobies05 says: Sep 5, 2013 2:00 PM

hey crown…u do realize that against a very weak schedule your team finished 8 and 8 and against a much tougher division champion schedule the ravens repeated as division champs and won the superbowl

18. stoogy says: Sep 5, 2013 2:00 PM

Crown you impressed with only throwing over 300 yards in 2 games the first 10 games to start last season before the injury? Both of those games were against Titans and Raiders who had the horrible pass defense last year. BTW the steelers lost both of those game how embarrising.

19. crownofthehelmet says: Sep 5, 2013 2:34 PM

So that’s your measure of a good QB – throwing over 300 yards? Tell me again why you think Flacco is good?

20. scoobies05 says: Sep 5, 2013 2:35 PM

and as far as him not wanting to come off the field….well thats a long run for that out of shape tub of goo

21. stillers213 says: Sep 5, 2013 2:55 PM

scoob – Wood came to camp in excpetional shape this season for a change so your post is a year too late.
    If you’re nice I’ll give you a scooby snack, maybe twwwooo scoobey snacks! :)

22. Nofoolnodrool says: Sep 5, 2013 3:04 PM

scoobies05 | Sep 5, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT

Does the name Charlie Batch ring a bell. For you air bag raven fans its humbling losing at home to a 38 year old grandpa……nah it’s not ………..humbling is a word to complex for the fanboys to comprehend. Batch slapped they get.

23. scoobies05 says: Sep 5, 2013 3:28 PM

hey nofool. sure i remember losing to batch. you all got us that day. it happens. do you “airbag” steeler fans rmember losing to the titans and chiefs en route to an 8 an 8 season and watching the ravens win the super bowl. but its a new year my friend. hope your season in enjoyable. be well

24. Nofoolnodrool says: Sep 5, 2013 3:46 PM

Hey scoobie s I turned off the Super Bowl it was boring but I missed the end zone gift you got. I don’t remember losing to the Titans or whoever as that was last year and I am looking forward to the beginning of the rebuilding process, without shame I might add. It’s time for the little wannabes to have a moment in the sun and for their fans to act like the classless clowns they are.(modeled after the Raven fans)

25. stoogy says: Sep 5, 2013 3:53 PM

so you do admit that is just good at best! I never said Flacco was a great QB “not a ravens fan” but he had a better run in the play off and super bowl last year then Ben ever had or ever will have. Good luck against the Titans week one I am going to love the way their improved secondary makes Ben look mediocre at best!

26. Nofoolnodrool says: Sep 5, 2013 4:04 PM

stoogy says:
    Sep 5, 2013 3:53 PM

0 0 Stoogy we all you get you don’t like Ben or the steelers; however your team affiliation seems to be in question, but my guess is you are a suffering raiders fan. It’s easy to bash another team when you hide your team….it takes areal fan to sow his colors….you are just another trolling hater.

27. z06vision says: Sep 5, 2013 4:43 PM

Ravens 1st loss of the season tonight…..Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. antibenapalooza says: Sep 5, 2013 5:51 PM

I have a suggestion, take Rottenberger off of the field and keep it that way!

Wake up Pittsburgh, you are being taken by him for fools.

29. Deb says: Sep 5, 2013 6:05 PM

@bobzilla …

Didn’t take time to read the Worilds thread before posting my surprise that he’d won the start. Didn’t stop to think that LeBeau doesn’t start rookies, so thanks for that. Although, as an SEC fan, I’m aware of Jones’s weaknesses, I still think he’s better than Worilds and look forward to him moving into the starter’s role.

Re his taking snaps from Woodley in the meantime … LaMarr’s been working hard in the offseason and should be in better shape this year. He won’t have to worry about anyone taking playing time from him as long as he’s the beast we all came to know and love.

30. bobzilla1001 says: Sep 5, 2013 6:27 PM

crown:
    Through the first 8 games of last season, the offense ranked 19th in scoring and the team’s record was 5-3.
    Against the 1-7 Chiefs in game 9, Roethlisberger played only the first half. He completed 9 of 18 passes for 84 yards.
    To answer your question: Prior to his injury, Roethlisberger was playing pretty much the way he’s played his entire career: With plenty of room for improvement from a $100 million quarterback.

31. bobzilla1001 says: Sep 5, 2013 6:32 PM

Deb:
    Who starts is only a formality. Tomlin said during his weekly presser that Jones would play and would play a lot.
    I must say, though, that I thought Worilds played well in the preseason…

32. udontknowjaq says: Sep 5, 2013 6:56 PM

I love the Steelers hate on this board. Its always the same haters. Its to comical reading ignorance. 8 & 8 is all I keep reading and its the Steelers downfall time! I know the Steelers have finished worst than that 7 times the last 40 years. If its a downfall have your fun now history says it wont be long before the Steelers are back up again. Just sayin

33. Deb says: Sep 5, 2013 7:28 PM

@bobzilla …

I’m probably being a little hard on Worilds because I’m still miffed about losing James. Either way, though, the linebacking corps should be okay. The offense is the big question mark and preseason didn’t make me optimistic.

34. stoogy says: Sep 5, 2013 8:32 PM

Crown I admit I am a proud Raider fan. They beat your sorry team last year. Ben is 1-4 against them all time. Last year he had a chance to beat them but couldn’t convert on a 3rd and 9 to an open receiver. They are in a better state in the rebuilding stage then the steelers as well next year they will have an almost unlimited amount of cap space unlike the steelers that will have to restructure all their contracts again just to pay that 100 million dollar baby ben. That doesn’t perform up to par. Most overrated QB of all time that is carried by a a top 5 Defense year in and year out. Don’t worry about bashing the raider either I know they are not going to do good this year unlike you yinzers in western pa that are expecting a SB run.

35. stainlesssteeler says: Sep 6, 2013 1:55 AM

How are all of you self absorbed Ravens fans doing now? Keep predicting, I love watching what happens with your “great” franchise. I guess maybe the front office shouldn’t have let all 10 starters walk away, it was really evident tonight watching the Denver beating. Talk is cheap, but your QB isn’t!

36. crownofthehelmet says: Sep 6, 2013 9:20 AM

stoogy, you obviously have not watched a lot of Steeler games, most overrated of all time has to be one of the more ridiculous statements I’ve read in a long time. His 05 playoff run alone is enough to debunk that myth. Good luck with your season. Maybe you and jmf can play some golf on Sundays in about 5-6 weeks.

37. stoogy says: Sep 6, 2013 10:59 AM

Oh what was I thinking? That 123 yards and 22.3 rating is very impressive to end that play off run against the 25th ranked pass defense in the lg that year. It is embarrising you hold this guy on such a pedistol.

38. crownofthehelmet says: Sep 6, 2013 1:24 PM

Oh yes, it really sucked to watch him in that SB, and then holding the lombardi after. The Raiders would gladly give up the 1st pick of the draft to get someone of BR’s caliber. What’s embarrassing is how envious you are.

39. steelcurtainn says: Sep 6, 2013 4:05 PM

The raiders are a joke. I almost feel bad for raider fans. They can have the regular season wins its all they have while the steelers hold up lombardis. Two Steelers superbowl wins while the raiders haven’t accomplished nothing but getting routed by the bucs.

40. stillers213 says: Sep 6, 2013 4:32 PM

The funniest part about Raider fan his how ridiculous they all look in their Star Wars wannabe outfits, especially when they’re losing. (which is quite often I might add)

41. dimi1919 says: Sep 6, 2013 6:06 PM

I’m just wondering where JMF is.

42. southcarolinamike says: Sep 7, 2013 10:05 AM

This guy wants to be a full time player on a defense that forces punts and creates few turnovers. A lot of guys can be full time on a defense like that. There is nothing special about their defense. Actually, the only thing special about them is their ability to create the illusion of greatness without actually being great. Great defenses creat turnovers.

43. steelcurtainn says: Sep 7, 2013 12:02 PM

Your post is right on. The steelers defense needs to create way more turnovers. Last years total wasn’t going to cut it. I’m amazed with Big Bens injury, the line injuries the steelers had and the inability to create turnovers that the steelers actually were 8-8. I still shake my head when I think of that. Were all hopeful things will turn around. The key(as always) is creating turnovers(as u said) and scoring more points by being able to stay injury free on offense.

44. bobzilla1001 says: Sep 7, 2013 12:16 PM

Mike:
    Defenses create turnovers when their opponents are playing from behind and forcing the issue. How often have the Steelers’ offenses given the Steelers’ defenses comfortable leads to protect?
    The Steelers have been in a scoring slump since 2008. The fact that the team has been to two Super Bowls over the span is nothing short of remarkable.

Deb:
    I’m still miffed about the loss of Harrison, too. All this salary-dumping is very frustrating. I believe in chemistry, which, IMO, is the best “leadership” any team can possibly have. We’ve been fortunate to have had a great defensive run from 2004 to 2010.
    But I believe it’s over. Weak schedules the past two seasons have made the defense look better than it actually was. The scary thing is: Those weak schedules also have made the offense look better than it actually was.