Peyton Manning saw Julius Thomas’s big game coming

Baltimore Ravens v Denver Broncos Getty Images

Prior to tonight’s game, Broncos tight end Julius Thomas had one catch for five yards in his NFL career. In the first half against the Ravens, Thomas had four catches for 97 yards and two touchdowns.

That probably led to a lot of fans asking, “Who is Julius Thomas?”

But Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning saw this coming. Manning said last week on Pro Football Talk on NBCSN that the Broncos had come to rely on Thomas during training camp, and he saw big things coming from the athletic young tight end.

“Well, we’ve had a number of injuries and while you hate seeing your starters get injured, it does allow an opportunity for maybe an unknown to step up and get some reps with the first team and sort of show what he’s about,” Manning said. “And we’ve had some injuries at tight end and Julius Thomas is a guy that I’m sure not many people know about but he has taken advantage of the repetitions he’s received with the first team. He’s an athlete, he’s a big guy that can really run and he really is taking advantage of the time with the starters and has made the most of it. I think he’ll play a big role for our team this year.”

Thomas played only one year of college football at Portland State after previously playing for Portland State’s basketball team, but the Broncos liked what they saw from that one season of football enough that they spent a fourth-round draft pick on him in 2011. It took some time, but that pick is now paying off.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
20 Responses to “Peyton Manning saw Julius Thomas’s big game coming”
  1. hardythekraken says: Sep 5, 2013 10:44 PM

picked up Thomas 4 hours before game time. celebrating my ass off right now.

2. gmitch23 says: Sep 5, 2013 10:53 PM

I started him on my fantasy team. #guru

3. shivablast says: Sep 5, 2013 10:56 PM

Could’ve let me know, Peyton. Instead, I’m sitting here feeling like a complete frittata with Julius Thomas sitting on my bench with 21 points while Demaryius Thomas puts up 1 point. C’mon. I thought we were friends.

4. wearethesteelers says: Sep 5, 2013 10:58 PM

This whole time I thought it was Demarius Thomas, celebrating fantasy points!

5. blue18hutthutt says: Sep 5, 2013 11:03 PM

You kinda expect any QB to say that about their team mate

6. t8ertot says: Sep 5, 2013 11:20 PM

He’s on my bench as well. O well

7. babyjebus says: Sep 5, 2013 11:20 PM

Peyton is looking old with those 4 TD passes so far.

8. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Sep 5, 2013 11:32 PM

The rout is on.

9. sportnorcal says: Sep 5, 2013 11:34 PM

shivablast – maybe he will still make you a pizza?

10. justintuckrule says: Sep 5, 2013 11:34 PM

C’mon goodell. This stinks. You’ve turned the league into a video game. The only people you’ve made happy are the fantasy dorks. Please give us some defense back. I got one foot out the door on this league. Believe me… I spend more on nfl tickets and merchandise than 50 ff players. Level the field and a least get rid of the Ty law rule.

11. chargerdillon says: Sep 5, 2013 11:42 PM

Damn you Peyton the other Thomas! The other Thomas!!!!!

12. wisdomnfl says: Sep 5, 2013 11:46 PM

Ha ha ha ha ravens nice show you stink

13. aljack88 says: Sep 6, 2013 12:01 AM

wearethesteelers says:
    Sep 5, 2013 10:58 PM
    This whole time I thought it was Demarius Thomas, celebrating fantasy points!

—————————————————-

I feel your pain. I kept hoping there was another 8 on that jersey and not a 0.

I also have Prater as my kicker – no f/g’s ?

14. doe22us says: Sep 6, 2013 12:13 AM

shivablast says:
    Sep 5, 2013 10:56 PM

Demaryius caught 1, this may not be the norm.. he is the Alpha option in this offense make no mistake.

15. steelcurtainn says: Sep 6, 2013 12:19 AM

Blown out….What a disgrace on opening day for the ravens.

16. belicheckisgod says: Sep 6, 2013 12:27 AM

So how many Ravens fans still think Flacco was worth all that money? Pretty embarrassing thrashing being handed out to the Super Bowl champs and Flacco (50+ passes 27 completed so far 2tdswith 2 picks and only 271 yards) mean while the old man with a bad neck (who you think your in the same category with)has lite you up for 6 frikin Tds. I’m no Manning fan but man has he made the Ravens look like Super pretenders!

17. ampatsisahypocrite says: Sep 6, 2013 1:24 AM

By the way, the weather delay gave us some hilarious pre-game entertainment. Anyone catch the Dungy interview with Flacco where Joe tried to act like that Hail Mary was all planned and stuff? The highlight was when Joe mentioned that Jacoby Jones had to “slow down” to catch his miracle bomb — gee I wonder why? Maybe because it was so badly underthrown? Nah that couldn’t be it, could it? Nah. It was just a brilliantly designed play, all the way to planning for the Denver DB to slip on the turf before he could pick off the duck.

18. denbronx says: Sep 6, 2013 1:27 AM

Where’s werethechampsandyourenot ????

You ran your mouth all offseason buddy.

How did you like 49-27???

19. orivar says: Sep 6, 2013 6:04 AM

It’s always nice to see a guy have a break out game, they obviously kept him for a reason and this is why.

20. pixelito says: Sep 6, 2013 8:55 AM

I started him on fantasy team, doesn’t everybody care???