Skip to content

Woody Johnson says Jets have no plans to cut Mark Sanchez

Woody Johnson AP

The New York Jets quarterback situation will likely remain a constant focus throughout the season regardless of which quarterback is ultimately starting from week to week.

For now, Geno Smith will get the start against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday as Mark Sanchez will miss time with an injured shoulder.

Smith could very well remain the starter even after Sanchez gets healthy. However, even if Sanchez is fully relegated to reserve duty the Jets, team owner Woody Johnson said the team has no plans of dumping Sanchez.

Mark will be on the team, I don’t think there’s any question about that,” Johnson said, via Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com.

Sanchez already has a $8.25 million guaranteed contract from the Jets this season, with no offset language to reduce the money owed if he signs with another team. What compounds the problem for the Jets is that even if they did want to release Sanchez, it would be an even further blow to their salary cap space to release him this season. Rex Ryan said injured reserve isn’t being considered for Sanchez at this stage either and it could be a couple weeks before he’s able to play.

For better or worse, the Jets are stuck with Sanchez. How much of an impact he’ll have this season and when he’s able to get back on the field remains to be seen.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Woody Johnson says Jets have no plans to cut Mark Sanchez”
  1. jimthebuilder27 says: Sep 5, 2013 1:04 AM

    Perhaps if the Jets had been responsible with their salary cap instead to making blind moves to soothe Sanchez’s hurt feelings, they wouldn’t be stuck with this clown at QB.

  2. swaggyy says: Sep 5, 2013 1:08 AM

    Not even his hair?

  3. krakyahead says: Sep 5, 2013 1:13 AM

    Jets fans need to boycott gang green Sanchez is not a starter in the NFL and its beyond ridiculous to prolong their season ticket holders and fans misery by keeping him on the Jets roster time to cut bait .

  4. staffordsyear says: Sep 5, 2013 1:50 AM

    All this does is remind me of how much a massive amount of money these guys get paid for sometimes doing nothing really..oh well we watch the games.

  5. footballhistorian says: Sep 5, 2013 1:54 AM

    This guy and Peter O’Toole have double-phallic names…incredible coincidence

  6. sexpanther85 says: Sep 5, 2013 5:08 AM

    It’d be more accurate to say ‘The Jets have no plans at QB.’

  7. easywolf says: Sep 5, 2013 6:55 AM

    Dumbest organization in the NFL, right up there with the raiders

  8. uncletuna says: Sep 5, 2013 7:50 AM

    Cut him? That would mean they’d have to admit they were wrong…

    Please, stay proud Jets, so you will continue to suck…

  9. nananatman says: Sep 5, 2013 10:57 AM

    “We need him to back up Matt Simms.”

  10. harry1941 says: Sep 5, 2013 12:19 PM

    The Viking fans know that Mark Sanchez is not a bad QB. Sanchez took the Jets to two playoffs season, beat NE in one of them. Some NFL team that needs a QB will take him. It was the Jets offensive line that got Sanchez in trouble.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!