Danny Trevathan: “I thought I was in the end zone”

Danny Trevathan AP

Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan became an early candidate for the Bonehead Play of the Year Award (not an official NFL award) when he intercepted a Joe Flacco pass on Thursday night, raced toward the end zone, then dropped the ball before crossing the goal line. The ball rolled into the end zone, where the Ravens recovered, and what should have been a touchdown was instead a touchback.

After the game, Trevathan said he just didn’t realize where he was when he dropped the ball.

It was a young mistake. I was just in the moment,” Trevathan said. “I thought I was in the end zone. Next time I’m going hold the ball up high and give it to a fan or something. But it’s not going to happen again. I’m growing from it and I’m not let going to let anybody stop me.”

The 23-year-old Trevathan is only in his second year in the NFL, but there’s no excuse for “a young mistake” like that. Even Pop Warner players should know that you can’t drop the ball at the 1-yard line. But Trevathan is far from the first NFL player to make such a mistake: Just last year, Broncos return man Trindon Holliday did it, although the officials incorrectly ruled that play a touchdown. Trevathan said he hopes he can make up for his mistake by making more big plays for the Broncos, the same way Holliday did last year.

“After that he scored like 18 more times, so hopefully I can go ahead and do some more,” Trevathan said of Holliday.

If Trevathan ever finds himself racing toward the end zone with the ball in his hands again, I’d advise him to celebrate like Barry Sanders always did: Wait until the official signals touchdown, then hand that official the ball.

Permalink 129 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
129 Responses to “Danny Trevathan: “I thought I was in the end zone””
  1. canetic says: Sep 6, 2013 7:13 AM

I don’t understand the urgency to drop the ball immediately at the goal line. If you aren’t smart enough to carry the ball into the end zone then you probably shouldn’t be on an NFL team.

2. thegonz13 says: Sep 6, 2013 7:15 AM

The Leon Lett legacy lives on!

3. pc1976 says: Sep 6, 2013 7:15 AM

Muppet!

4. joetoronto says: Sep 6, 2013 7:16 AM

The idiot then went to the sidelines and gave Del Rio flack for being upset at him.

SMH.

5. howsaboutit says: Sep 6, 2013 7:16 AM

woops!

6. browns627 says: Sep 6, 2013 7:23 AM

peyton took care of that mistake

7. 1standinches says: Sep 6, 2013 7:25 AM

I thought you were cut, but I guess you’re still there

8. phinfan527 says: Sep 6, 2013 7:25 AM

Can hear the fantasy owners that had the Denver D screaming you -/:;()$&&& idiot!!! Give him credit though. You can’t get arrested for doing that!!

9. aaroncurryisbust says: Sep 6, 2013 7:25 AM

DeSean Jackson is proud.

10. henryd3rd says: Sep 6, 2013 7:26 AM

I wouldn’t want to be in his shoes when the team is in the film room reviewing that game film today.

11. bujuman69 says: Sep 6, 2013 7:28 AM

Idiot!

12. wnstonchill says: Sep 6, 2013 7:30 AM

No excuses! Hand the ball to the official like a champion would and it’s problem solved!

13. bombayjon says: Sep 6, 2013 7:32 AM

———————————

I would love to see a lot more of that and a lot less of the posing.

14. floratiotime says: Sep 6, 2013 7:35 AM

*cough* idiot *cough*

15. bert1913 says: Sep 6, 2013 7:37 AM

Don’t blame Danny, blame the thin air. Lack of oxygen to the brain can make you do some crazy things

16. t8ertot says: Sep 6, 2013 7:39 AM

You cost me points dumb dumb

17. bobbyhoying says: Sep 6, 2013 7:43 AM

Didn’t DeSean Jackson do something similar?

18. patfic15 says: Sep 6, 2013 7:52 AM

Act like you’ve been there before.

19. cleekk says: Sep 6, 2013 7:55 AM

It also cost them an injury to Woodward who was hit and rolled from behind by a Raven lineman going for the ball.

20. doc305 says: Sep 6, 2013 7:59 AM

tell the truth Danny, you have Manning on your fantasy football team and really wanted him to throw a few more TD’s to really dominate this week.

Thank you Danny, from the bottom of my heart, thank you

21. bennyb82 says: Sep 6, 2013 8:09 AM

He thought he was in the endzone? Of all the players to drop the ball early, I think he was furthest from the goal line.

22. Corey Jeppesen says: Sep 6, 2013 8:12 AM

“and I’m not let going to let anybody stop me.” – why the hell is he talking like he’s fighting the grips of oppression as if “anybody” is out to stop him? Ugh, seems like a dramatic, over the top individual to me.

23. ch1ggs says: Sep 6, 2013 8:14 AM

I couldn’t believe it when I saw him jawing with Del Rio. That’s your coach, dude; and you just made a dumb play.

24. andyb053 says: Sep 6, 2013 8:19 AM

How has this happened multiple times in the NFL?!?!

25. nodindenver says: Sep 6, 2013 8:20 AM

Kid had a pretty good game up until that point. Unfortunate that bonehead stuff like that is what got Wood hurt. Even worse when he shucks off Del Rio upon getting to the sideline. Danny T should be sweating a lot over the next week.

26. marmac2768 says: Sep 6, 2013 8:20 AM

Poor old Leon Lett!! Anytime someone makes a bonehead mistake like this, his name will be mentioned!! Nobody remembers Jim “wrong way” Marshall anymore!!

27. shivablast says: Sep 6, 2013 8:20 AM

I feel like this is a problem that will continue to plague the young players in the NFL. Year after year, you see instances of players thinking they’re in the end zone when they’re not, causing premature celebration. I think Goodell needs to take some time to address this. It’s ridiculous to suggest that the player do something like carry the ball all the way through the end zone, or look down to see exactly where they are. If the NFL wasn’t busy protecting quarterbacks, they could address this detriment to the sport.

28. ronaldmexico7 says: Sep 6, 2013 8:23 AM

Punk

29. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Sep 6, 2013 8:24 AM

“That was such a bone headed play. Who does that?”
    Sincerely, Leon Lett

30. acousticphan says: Sep 6, 2013 8:28 AM

Literally giving away 6 points purely due to stupidity should result in automatically being cut, right?

31. eagleswin says: Sep 6, 2013 8:31 AM

DeSean Jackson did the same thing when he almost scored his first touchdown.

Just like DeSean he seems to be a me first player. DeSean his just playing football to cover the bills for rap label which isn’t generating any income.

32. jaccfrost says: Sep 6, 2013 8:34 AM

If he was working a 9 to 5 job, he’d be unemployed……dropping the ball & talkin’ smack to the boss? Ingrate…..

33. pftbillsfan says: Sep 6, 2013 8:34 AM

Which again you incorrectly attribute to Sanders when Thuan Thomas and Marv Levy started it and Sanders stated numerous time that’s where he got it from.

34. ncheelsboysfan says: Sep 6, 2013 8:35 AM

Apparently “thinking” is not a strength for him. Nor is “taking responsibility!”

Noone stopping you???? Who has to when you drop the ball on the one?

Score FIRST, then celebrate, no wait, just hand the ball to the official dummy!

Way to get your teammate hurt. I am sure he agrees with you.

35. flyinhighwithvick says: Sep 6, 2013 8:37 AM

Somewhere, Desean Jackson is giggling.

36. ctiggs says: Sep 6, 2013 8:37 AM

it cost me fantasy points last night!!!

37. bigjim50010 says: Sep 6, 2013 8:38 AM

I am amazed that a person who possibly played 3 years of youth football, 4 years of high school football, 2-4 years of college ball does not know implicitly where the goal line it. Correct me if I am wrong but the field dimensions do not change from high school to pros.
    It was that thin line between arrogance and confidence. To weak sauce backpedal as to the reason why he didn’t score made it even more humorous.

38. polegojim says: Sep 6, 2013 8:41 AM

Corey – Totally agreed… criticism isn’t oppression… ESPECIALLY when it’s incredibly well EARNED and deserved.

No excuses, no spinning, no minimizing… just say ‘I cost my team 6 points and it won’t happen again’. Even… ‘and I’m counting on giving my team several more of those this year, and they will count on the scoreboard’…

39. qwerty007qwerty007 says: Sep 6, 2013 8:52 AM

Too cool for school…

40. joeknowsnada says: Sep 6, 2013 8:55 AM

What IS it with these guys? Just take the ball into the endzone with you, D_ _b_ss! What, the ball gets too heavy for you at the 1 yard line? I have never seen so many bonehead ball handling mistakes in football like I see these days (last 5 years). It’s an epidemic of stupidity and carelessness that belies the intensity of the coaching these guys receive, or have received, their whole playing lives! What the?

41. vietnambob2473 says: Sep 6, 2013 8:55 AM

I dont care what he does after he scores, he can get a 15 yard penalty for all i care but at least MAKE SURE YOU SCORE. No excuse for a play like that

42. floriostoupee says: Sep 6, 2013 8:58 AM

“I’m growing from it and I’m not let going to let anybody stop me.”

does this idiot realize no one DID stop him, except himself?

43. czech12 says: Sep 6, 2013 9:05 AM

If I lose by 6 or less, I’ll be truly pissed…

44. duece5 says: Sep 6, 2013 9:11 AM

All NFLers today celebrate EVERY play like they won the game on a SINGLE play…….DO YOUR JOB……quit the self-promotion.

There should be a rule…….if a someone self-promotes on a hard hit, he should do the same when he gets burnt for a TD-point to the back of his jersey to show the world it was him who was toasted…..fair enough?

45. throwedoff1 says: Sep 6, 2013 9:12 AM

TYPICAL—-well you know what i mean and then talks back what an idiot

46. skoobyfl says: Sep 6, 2013 9:13 AM

He didn’t want to take the spotlight off Manning, so he was told to drop the ball if needed.

47. bluexpress says: Sep 6, 2013 9:21 AM

Trevathan was a relentless ballhawk at Kentucky and a rock solid leader. Never a punk and lost in this story is how awesome he played. He is primed for a breakout year and this just put a chip on his shoulder

48. schaefer692002 says: Sep 6, 2013 9:21 AM

Too damn worried about dancing!! Then yell at your coach because your dance was an epic fail??

49. lawmancpa says: Sep 6, 2013 9:22 AM

Typical bone-headed play AND response by someone on Denver’s defense. The first was the safety’s “I got too excited” comment from the AFC playoff game. Now, this bozo states “I am young”. Give me a break.

50. mountaindont says: Sep 6, 2013 9:23 AM

As he was coming off the field Del Rio was overheard asking him “Wanna play dodgerock?”

51. FinFan68 says: Sep 6, 2013 9:23 AM

There is no excuse for that. Face it. He put his celebration on national TV ahead of his responsibility to the team. Young, in the moment and other excuses are just excuses. If I were the coach, that kid would not have see the field the rest of the game. He might have even been sent to the locker room. If you are not bright enough hold on to the ball until you get in the end-zone, maybe you shouldn’t be in the NFL. No doubt this kid will never do that again but this is one of those lessons that should never have to be learned through experience. The fact that he is not the first guy to do that is quite sad.

52. powayslugger says: Sep 6, 2013 9:24 AM

Stupidity should have a high price… cut this Re-Tard.

53. phinfan says: Sep 6, 2013 9:25 AM

Even Forest Gump knew to keep running with the football.

‘Thats one running fool.’

54. twilson962 says: Sep 6, 2013 9:32 AM

Ya think?

Good thing they won, otherwise this would be up there with the butt fumble.

55. lionstigersandwingsohmy says: Sep 6, 2013 9:32 AM

I understand the celebrity aspect of the game, people want to be famous, that is why they have elaborate celebrations, to get noticed. But think about this, how many years ago did Barry Sanders retire? And we are still talking about how he just handed the ball to the refs.

56. norseyapper says: Sep 6, 2013 9:34 AM

Another player more concerned with personal showboating over the game itself.
    Imagine if that play had been critical to the outcome. It would be all we were hearing about today.

57. getyourownname says: Sep 6, 2013 9:36 AM

It’s the dreaded SportsCenter Syndrome. Fortunately there’s a cure, but it’s remarkable how many people needlessly get this disease.

58. blackhawks2010 says: Sep 6, 2013 9:38 AM

Oops! Duh

59. schmitty2 says: Sep 6, 2013 9:38 AM

The only thing missing was Don Beebe chasing him down.

60. steelnucs says: Sep 6, 2013 9:38 AM

Dolt.

61. illicitbehavior says: Sep 6, 2013 9:42 AM

Is it possible to have a play go on like this and not bring up Barry Sanders every time? We get it. He used to just hand the official the ball, because he’d been there before. We know. You’ve told us.

Trevathan was stupid. It was a stupid move, but I would love to see anyone on this thread play a game for millions of dollars and millions of people watching you and not want to showboat a bit. I’m sure everyone here would just do as Barry Sanders did, but when you’re done, make sure you get those damned kids off of your lawn.

62. harrisonhits2 says: Sep 6, 2013 9:42 AM

That’s what showboating gets you idiot

63. trollhammer20 says: Sep 6, 2013 9:43 AM

The league could always get rid of this by introducing an actual touch down rule that the ball must touch the ground of the end zone to be a score. This is how it works in rugby.

Not that I advocate that rule change, mind you. It’s not necessary, it would remove great end line catches as a thing (guys would get pushed OB before they could get the ball down), and it would remove my ability to laugh and laugh and laugh at idiotic happenings like this…at least, until it happens to my own team.

64. therealganxt says: Sep 6, 2013 9:47 AM

“Danny, could you come down to the facility and meet with Coach Fox? Also, please bring your iPad.”

65. evilfrasiercrane says: Sep 6, 2013 9:54 AM

No doubt the guy has the IQ of a rock. Duh, where is da end zone. Now I think I’ll argue wit da coach.

66. eatitfanboy says: Sep 6, 2013 9:57 AM

Ummm….Danny? The only person you have to worry about stopping you is you. Use your head, son.

67. myopinionisrighterthanyours says: Sep 6, 2013 9:58 AM

To quote “American Pie,” “You don’t score until you score!”

68. richndc says: Sep 6, 2013 9:59 AM

No Leon!! No!!!

69. cowboylover says: Sep 6, 2013 10:01 AM

Leon Lett’s boneheaded play was not that–that was DeSean Jackson’s boneheaded play v. the Cowboys his rookie season. Leon held the ball out and it was batted out of his hand. Still awful, just not tossing it before crossing the endzone.

70. tformation says: Sep 6, 2013 10:01 AM

He won’t make that mistake again. If he does, he’s truly an idiot.

Man, I miss Barry Sanders.

71. Fried Toast says: Sep 6, 2013 10:05 AM

Put him on the Practice Squad because he definitely hasn’t had enough practice.

72. bahoto34 says: Sep 6, 2013 10:05 AM

In his defense, it’s not like the guy was showboating…he’s was a defensive player, who rarely gets that opportunity, was excited, thought he crossed the goal line and just dropped it. But i agree, avoid the mistake and hand the ball to the ref, can’t go wrong there.

73. vgferenzi says: Sep 6, 2013 10:07 AM

They draw a line on the ground and everything!

74. metrocritical says: Sep 6, 2013 10:09 AM

Not a young mistake, Danny. A dumb mistake. A “Hey, look at me!” moment that backfired. Yes, everyone looked at you.

75. runmarshawnrun says: Sep 6, 2013 10:14 AM

I might have a slightly different take on this than most people.

Dropping the ball was dumb. There’s no excuse, and 10 year old kids know better. But at the end of the day, he made a mistake. A dumb mistake, but it didn’t hurt the Broncos at the end of the day.

What I find most egregious was the clip of him shouting at Jack Del Rio afterwards. That’s insane! What possible defense or argument was he putting up at that point? I would bench that fool for one game for arguing with the coach after the mistake, not for making the mistake in the first place.

76. sixtysfool says: Sep 6, 2013 10:15 AM

Oh Oh my GPS ran out of batteries!

77. falcons999 says: Sep 6, 2013 10:43 AM

At least he didn’t get arrested….yet!!!!!

78. rjg427 says: Sep 6, 2013 10:43 AM

C’MON MAN!!!

this game will take over the entire segment by all of the analysts Monday night

79. peopletrains says: Sep 6, 2013 10:48 AM

How about you just give the ball to the goddamn ref?

80. dabears7190 says: Sep 6, 2013 10:56 AM

Stuff like this CANNOT happen at the professional level. Dozens of guys just got sent home after working their butts off to try to make the team, and this guy decides that giving 100% is not worth it while those former teammates are sitting at home watching on tv.

Unbelievable.

81. jimthebuilder27 says: Sep 6, 2013 11:07 AM

Too bad more people don’t handle themselves with class like Barry Sanders did.

82. djscottyb says: Sep 6, 2013 11:07 AM

Leon Lett was watching this game at the local Hooters. He was watching this play while walking back to his table.

Sadly he spilled his beer before he got there.

83. granadafan says: Sep 6, 2013 11:12 AM

I don’t get dropping the ball as close as possible to the endzone. You don’t look cooler or have better “street cred”. Raising your hands in celebration with the ball looks cool too.
    How about crossing and just spiking the ball? That’s still legal in the NFL…. for now.

84. nananatman says: Sep 6, 2013 11:18 AM

I’ve never seen a player drop the ball so fast so he can go strike a look at me pose for his endzone photo-shoot. Well congrats we’re looking now, strike a pose.

85. chazzmon says: Sep 6, 2013 11:24 AM

Never, EVER celebrate before the deal is closed! In case you forget, Karma has a way of slapping you around as a reminder. Now this will be his career highlight.

86. FinFan68 says: Sep 6, 2013 11:25 AM

bahoto34 says:
    Sep 6, 2013 10:05 AM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    He was not showboating down the field like Deion used to do but he dropped the ball so that he could showboat in the end zone. Very little difference.

As for thinking he was in the end-zone, he may need to get his vision checked. He somehow missed the long white line, multi-colored graphics in the end-zone and the blaze-orange pylon he was running directly towards when he decided to let go of the ball. Guys make dumb mistakes but this one was stupid on many levels.

87. gt40bear says: Sep 6, 2013 11:27 AM

Maybe if players weren’t in such a hurry to say “look at me, see what I did”, these kind of “young mistakes” might not happen. Act like you’ve been there before dumb ass!

88. tombradyswig says: Sep 6, 2013 11:33 AM

by the end of the game, and today, I’m sure this specific play was humorous, considering the final outcome!!
    Good job Denver!

89. thebirdofprey says: Sep 6, 2013 11:41 AM

I agree with everyone else it was a boneheaded play but the kid was playing really well and excellent break on the ball. The person who should be getting grilled is SuperBowl MVP Flacco. There was one play he was under pressure and threw late across the field and nearly 2 defenders picked him off. I thought how does he make that throw? Guess 120 million doesn’t make you play elite in the regular season.

90. somekat says: Sep 6, 2013 11:43 AM

I don’t get it. Just slow down, stop, and put the ball just past the goal line. It would looks much cooler then dropping it the “instant” you go across the line, it would address your “look at me, look at me” attitude, and it would still be a touchdown

once a moron, always a moron

91. bahoto34 says: Sep 6, 2013 11:44 AM

finfan68…..shhhh…stop being so bitter, your dolphins are still horrible

92. jonesy300 says: Sep 6, 2013 11:58 AM

This “personal egotistic,self glorification, look at me hyperactive, self deification. attitude is becoming disgusting. It is certainly insulting to fans, disrespectful to the game and extremely UNSPORTSMANLIKE along with selfishly forgetting that he is a member of a PROFESSION AL team. Thankfully this ingornant action did nothave the ultimate cost of tarnishing a outstanding Bronco performance with a loss.

93. sullijo1 says: Sep 6, 2013 12:10 PM

BREAKING NEWS!

Elvis Dumervil arrested for beating up fax machine with baseball bat…..stay tuned for details

94. steaderic says: Sep 6, 2013 12:11 PM

All of the people bringing up Leon Lett must be Eagles fans. DeSean… DeSean, is that you?

95. juke1220 says: Sep 6, 2013 12:12 PM

Barry = Class

96. sevensgottago says: Sep 6, 2013 12:22 PM

This guy is an idiot; a hot-dogging showoff like Divasean Jackson, who plays for my favorite NFL team.
    Even Dorothy knew where she was, and WASN’T!

97. kcflake says: Sep 6, 2013 12:26 PM

What a Dumbass, or Typical Denver Bronco Player.

98. coseybedaman says: Sep 6, 2013 12:28 PM

It was a young guy who never expected to be in that situation and got too excited for the moment. Clearly no one on this message board has ever made a dumb mistake at their job. Well I have and I’m head to say get over it already! It was a blowout anyway

99. coseybedaman says: Sep 6, 2013 12:29 PM

“Here to say”

100. malvaren18 says: Sep 6, 2013 12:35 PM

They should dump this guy on to the Ravens, he should feel right at home with Dumerville and Stockley.

101. bighurt228 says: Sep 6, 2013 12:39 PM

Yeah……he thought he farted but he smithies pants !!

102. richndc says: Sep 6, 2013 12:47 PM

this was even worse when I saw the video–first, it looked like all he was worried about was his stupid and embarrassing end zone dance–second, his arguing back with Jack Del Rio when getting reprimanded–this epitomizes perfectly what is wrong with many of the younger players today–yeah, its not a big deal, but it shows you the mindset–what a dumb ass.

103. louhudson23 says: Sep 6, 2013 12:49 PM

Perhaps now they will finally consider putting a line to mark the endzone…..and why not some brightly colored objects at the corners,just to be safe,and perhaps the refereee couls actually make a hand signal to confirm a player has made it far enough while still holding the ball?….with all the money the league takes in,you’d think they could spring for it….

104. buckethead1 says: Sep 6, 2013 1:00 PM

He should have immediately been stripped naked of his uniform and pads, made to crawl back to the endzone and then get stoned to death by a section of fans determined on Twitter…

105. thesportgenius says: Sep 6, 2013 1:05 PM

Congratulations you have now replaced the “butt fumble” as the worst blooper ever.

106. chiadam says: Sep 6, 2013 1:08 PM

Thinking you’re in the end zone can be confirmed by looking at the ground. If you see end zone beneath you, jackpot!

107. TheWizard says: Sep 6, 2013 1:09 PM

As long as there’s no real punishment, this will continue to happen every other year.

108. dolphinatic13 says: Sep 6, 2013 1:14 PM

I wonder how fast the “thanks bro” tweet came from Leon Lett?

109. vr30 says: Sep 6, 2013 1:15 PM

Very dumb play but he’s still a good young player

110. ampatsisahypocrite says: Sep 6, 2013 1:18 PM

And Joe Flacco gets bailed out again — this time a pick-six is taken off the stat sheet courtesy of the guy who actually made the pick! Oh is there a better gig in football than to be Joey Jumpball?

Life is great for Joe Flacco, when everybody else does the work and HE collects the big bucks!

111. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 6, 2013 1:33 PM

Forget the stodgy, unathletic oafs who make thinly veiled “stop the posing, give it right to the ref” lines, but you’ve got to make sure you cross the goal line. Period.

112. gorilla559 says: Sep 6, 2013 1:45 PM

Danny Trevathan is selfish and this one play will live on to become his legacy because of that attitude. As the saying goes “You can’t fix stupid”.

113. malvaren18 says: Sep 6, 2013 2:00 PM

This will be a highlight real for many years to come, dumbest play of the year he should be very proud.

114. footballchic777 says: Sep 6, 2013 2:02 PM

Dude! You pulled a Jackson! That’s what I told my husband. De Sean Jackson did that same thing his rookie year! You have to take care of the ball and know where you are at!

115. thecrabcakestate says: Sep 6, 2013 2:26 PM

As a Ravens fan, I thank him for at least taking some attention away from Brynden Trawick.

That said it was a good time to learn from that mistake. The game was already over. Ravens were too far behind and had Torrey smith as the only receiver/tight end who could catch a ball.

Ps. Dallas Clark is DONE.

All of Baltimore is praying for Dennis Pitta to get healthy.

116. joshtanney says: Sep 6, 2013 2:37 PM

ah mistakes happen, he will be a better play for it.

117. joshtanney says: Sep 6, 2013 2:37 PM

player*

118. harrycanyon says: Sep 6, 2013 2:58 PM

It reminds me of that snow board chick a few years ago, that dominated the race and then got cute and tried showing off her “style” at the end, and lost the race.
    Gotta be one of the stupidest things you can do on a football field with the ball. And young is no excuse, the rule is the same pop warner forward, you have to the ball in your hand AFTER crossing the goal line.
    Kid is very lucky Manning scored 7 TDs and this one wasn’t needed to win.

119. tqaztec says: Sep 6, 2013 3:05 PM

“How has this happened multiple times in the NFL?!?!”

Brains are not the first requirement for some players.

120. chargerdillon says: Sep 6, 2013 3:09 PM

Million dollar body with a 10 cent brain.

This is why you appreciate guys like Peyton Manning who do and say the right things.

Too many guys this day and age are out to get the camera just on them so they can act a fool and do some celebration.

Every time I see this it makes me think if they didn’t sit that idiot for the rest of the game, they just sent the message to kids all over nation, me first team second.

121. warhammer420 says: Sep 6, 2013 3:15 PM

I can’t understand this kind of mistake. I mean, is the ball gonna explode if you hold onto it while you’re in the endzone?

122. koolaidsgonebad says: Sep 6, 2013 3:27 PM

Ok, it was a bone head move and he dropped the ball. However, everyone is calling him an a$$ or saying just had the ball off like Barry (RESPECT to Barry!!). But if this guy was better at holding the ball, catching, and taking it to the house then maybe he would be on Offense and not on Defense. Give him a little break…..but only because Peyton allowed them to win. With a loss…bust his a$$

123. bighurt228 says: Sep 6, 2013 3:40 PM

“””””””””””””””””” BOYCOTT ESPN “”””””””””””””””””””””””””

When they roll out the squirrel dancing , crying, murdering phony this Sunday!!!!

“””””””””””””””””” BOYCOTT ESPN “””””””””””””””””””””””””

124. laserw says: Sep 6, 2013 5:27 PM

What Trevathan did was outrageous and unprofessional.

The NFL has a problem – it has clowns getting paychecks impersonating athletes.

Whether it is the show-boating of a player tumbling into the endzone without being tackled or tripping up to jerks like this fool who are supposed to be the best of the best and have only one goal on an interception – score a touchdown.

Acting like this jerk did is unsportsmanlike – show-boating – disgusting and reprehensible conduct for a professional at the highest level.

Players like this should be fired and their contracts torn up and a clear message needs to be sent – the NFL is not the NBA with helmets. If you want to act like a child or a 10 year old on the sandlot, then do it for free and get the hell out of the NFL.

There should be unsportsmanlike penalties thrown EVERY time a player does stuff like this – this is no different than pansy taunting – this is an overt, selfish, unprofessional, stupid action that is only done to draw attention to that particular player.

FIRE THE CLOWNS!

125. manofaiki says: Sep 6, 2013 7:06 PM

2 observations:

Those of you who keep bringing up Leon Lett need to go back and watch that play. He didn’t DROP the football as he crossed the goalline; he had it KNOCKED OUT OF HIS HAND by a Bills player.

If you can’t tell the difference between a guy holding the ball out that has it knocked out of his hands before he reaches the goal line and a guy who simply DROPS IT ON THE GROUND ON HIS OWN, you either need glasses or better functioning brain.

DeSean Jackson & every other tool that’s done this, simply dropped the ball all on their own with no defensive player in sight, the reason they are doing it is this:

They are so hot to do their TD dance they want to get their hands free for the nifty chest-pounding/arm waving/pointing at self that they plan on doing, the ball is actually an impediment.

So they drop it as soon as they can because they are already in TIME FOR MY COOL HANDS-FREE TD DANCE! mode.

You have not scored until you cross the goal line in possession of the football. These self-fumbles are being done because players are more intent on doing their TD dance showboating than on making sure 7 points is going on the board.

126. illicitbehavior says: Sep 6, 2013 7:27 PM

What Trevathan did was outrageous and unprofessional.

The NFL has a problem – it has clowns getting paychecks impersonating athletes.

FIRE THE CLOWNS!

—-

seriously, what is wrong with you? IT IS A GAME.

127. thetooloftools says: Sep 7, 2013 12:26 AM

A Mrs. Gump award winner. (stupid is as stupid does).

128. Derwin Worrell says: Sep 7, 2013 2:59 AM

Dummy! SMH.

129. pigskinaholic says: Sep 8, 2013 11:34 AM

Idiot moment aside.. I think he has the potential to be a solid LB.

If you guys didn’t get a chance to watch the game, he was great in coverage. Made a few good plays on the ball in addition to the should-have-been pick 6.