James Develin does the Patriots’ roster yo-yo

Keith Rivers, James Develin AP

The Patriots continue to shuffle the bottom of the roster, plugging old parts in for new.

The team announced they had re-signed fullback James Develin to the roster, after releasing him Monday.

Develin was cut when they signed tight end Matthew Mulligan earlier in the week, but Mulligan didn’t last long with the Patriots, as he was released yesterday.

So they brought back Develin, who has H-back type skills and has been a good special teams player for them.

Of course, the way the Patriots are churning the bottom of the roster, he could be off and on again before kickoff Sunday, so stay tuned.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “James Develin does the Patriots’ roster yo-yo”
  1. jnbnet says: Sep 6, 2013 10:13 AM

It must be hard to be walking on eggshells at the bottom of the roster….but there have been some real good players who have gone through the same thing.

2. bosfaninva says: Sep 6, 2013 10:26 AM

This is officially known as the “Ross Ventrone Yo-Yo” (tm pending).

3. jjthesportsguy says: Sep 6, 2013 10:35 AM

That must be the H back position that Tebow refuses to play, even if it’s the only way he can continue his NFL career.

4. bosfaninva says: Sep 6, 2013 10:40 AM

Matt Mulligan can go back to his old job of driving a steam shovel.

5. harrisonhits2 says: Sep 6, 2013 10:51 AM

Ross Ventrone, Tiquan Underwood and many others have gone through this with the Pats. I think underwood was cut and resigned something like 15-20 times in the 2011 season.

Belichick always manipulates the roster for maximum advantage against any given opponent.

6. damnsureis says: Sep 6, 2013 11:05 AM

Glad to hear. After drafting him in the third round of my fantasy league I’ve been expecting him to carry my team. I’m glad I passed on drafting Mulligan in the second.

7. bosfaninva says: Sep 6, 2013 11:07 AM

Underwood suffered the ignominy of getting cut the day before the Super Bowl — after getting the Flying Elvis cut into his hair!

8. zam0854 says: Sep 6, 2013 11:57 AM

Boyertown, PA—-their finest!!

9. deadlevelbest says: Sep 6, 2013 12:25 PM

So the Pats feel like they need TE depth. You don’t say.

10. dabirds29 says: Sep 7, 2013 12:40 PM

Develin is a big guy and we know he can block. While we haven’t seen him go up against a big DE, I am sure he can, at least slow them down, if he is put in as a TE. I think he was 3 for 3 with a TD during preseason… we know he’s got good hands. I can see James playing the traditional FB position in addition to H-Back, TE and Special Teams this season. This will give the Pats added depth and versatility.