Jets releasing Brady Quinn today

Brady Quinn AP

Brady Quinn’s stint with the Jets didn’t last long. But he might be back soon.

The Jets are releasing Quinn today, meaning they’ll open the season on Sunday with only two healthy quarterbacks on the roster, starter Geno Smith and backup Matt Simms. Mark Sanchez has been ruled out with a shoulder injury.

Because Quinn is a vested veteran, his entire 2013 salary would have been guaranteed if he had been on the roster for Sunday. The Jets could still pick Quinn up again next week and just pay him on a week-to-week basis as the season goes along, rather than guaranteeing him his whole salary at the start of the season.

Still, the Jets run the risk of losing Quinn if he signs somewhere else. That could be an option if another team loses a quarterback to injury on Sunday and finds itself in need of a veteran backup.

Quinn was cut by the Seahawks at the end of training camp and quickly picked up by the Jets. He has previously played for the Browns, Broncos and Chiefs.

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
64 Responses to “Jets releasing Brady Quinn today”
  1. f1restarter says: Sep 7, 2013 11:43 AM

Quinn is attempting to set a new record for being released by the most number of teams.

2. h0c2000 says: Sep 7, 2013 11:43 AM

If they can’t get Quinn back, there’s always Tebow…

3. 1pwrightt says: Sep 7, 2013 11:43 AM

The Jets Quarterback situation reminds me of a merry go round. On and off. On and off. I thought last week I heard Quinn may be there starter. Round and round and round and – well you get the point.

4. conormacleod says: Sep 7, 2013 11:43 AM

Thanks for the daily Jets update.

5. lrjets says: Sep 7, 2013 11:44 AM

I hope Quinn finds a team in need for him and he signs tomorrow. The Jets wasted so much money, yet they can’t do the right thing for Quinn?

For shame!

6. jonkchar says: Sep 7, 2013 11:48 AM

I thought he was pretty solid during his time in Seattle. I could see some teams benefitting from having him

7. vicnocal says: Sep 7, 2013 11:50 AM

“Now I’m done.”

8. osiris33 says: Sep 7, 2013 11:52 AM

He may not be great, but he’s better than Smith, Sanchez and Simms– put together

9. thetooloftools says: Sep 7, 2013 11:53 AM

You don’t get CUT from the Jets, it’s called work release.

10. takemytalentstosoutheuclid says: Sep 7, 2013 11:55 AM

ummm… no he’s not. Have you seen him play?

11. mcqphx says: Sep 7, 2013 11:56 AM

2007 Draft-Classic video as he falls down the rabbit hole.

12. ttommytom says: Sep 7, 2013 11:59 AM

The Jets should let it play out between Simms and Smith.

Imagine another Simms in NY? Woody can’t see this?

Sanchez had his chance and is a (future) back-up. Quinn was always a back-up. Kind od obvious you can’t win consistently with back-ups. Lose them and move on…

13. censoredagain says: Sep 7, 2013 12:05 PM

How can any team voluntarily pay this guy? Isn’t it obvious that he isnt an NFL QB? He was horrible in college, why expect him to improve now?

14. graphis56 says: Sep 7, 2013 12:08 PM

In 3-4 weeks, Simms will be starting. (if not sooner.)

15. 1oldpro says: Sep 7, 2013 12:09 PM

That’s quite a stable of thoroughbreds they have there!

16. wearethesteelers says: Sep 7, 2013 12:09 PM

If only they were this quick to give up on Sanchez…

17. phinfan says: Sep 7, 2013 12:12 PM

I personally believe Simms won the battle of QBs to start. Only reason why they are starting Smith in because of money. Money does not talk, performance does. And besides it might be good for him to learn the system on the bench until hes ready. But Simms out played him – why would he not start?!

18. possumsauce says: Sep 7, 2013 12:23 PM

At this rate he’ll be cutting by teams in his city’s park district league by next year.

19. possumsauce says: Sep 7, 2013 12:23 PM

Getting cut, rather. Long night.

20. yanksbills says: Sep 7, 2013 12:29 PM

And here I thought the QB situation in Buffalo was screwy.

21. jrock1314 says: Sep 7, 2013 12:35 PM

The jets signed Quinn to pick his brain on Seattle’s playbook, for the up coming game … Oh wait they don’t play this season !!!! another brilliant move by the second fiddle J-E-T-S!!!!

22. mykl954 says: Sep 7, 2013 12:40 PM

Just another day under The circus’s Big Top.

It’s pathetic that the Jets QB suckage is so severe that the status of a 4-16 over-hyped 1st round draft bust who couldn’t beat out the likes of Anderson, Orton, Tebow and Cassel is at all noteworthy.

23. bennyb82 says: Sep 7, 2013 12:40 PM

Rex Ryan is signing a bunch of bad players in hopes that once he cuts them, the Patriots scoop them up. I do not think it is working…

24. bennyb82 says: Sep 7, 2013 12:43 PM

vicnocal says:
    Sep 7, 2013 11:50 AM
    “Now I’m done.”

Best comment of the day…nobody who has watched football since Quinn was drafted can say they have not seem that ad…

25. jr4real says: Sep 7, 2013 12:49 PM

In any normal situation Simms would be starting this week. But this is the Jets!!

26. showstopper13 says: Sep 7, 2013 12:49 PM

Now He’s done!

27. eatitfanboy says: Sep 7, 2013 12:58 PM

phinfan says:
    Sep 7, 2013 12:12 PM

====

No doubt Simms was the best QB in Jets camp. I don’t care who he was playing against. The arm strength and accuracy he showed would translate to any level. The fact is that it was never an “open” competition. If anything, it was a competition only between Sanchez and Smith, although I don’t even think it was that. I think they came to camp with the mindset of Sanchez first until he loses the job, Smith after.

There was no chance whatsoever that Simms was going to be promoted over one guy making $8M and one guy who was a second round pick. Only a smart organization would make a call like that.

And no one has ever accused the Jets of being smart.

28. themagicman1223 says: Sep 7, 2013 1:00 PM

@osiris33 I know it’s fun to bash the Jets and their quarterbacks but he’s not better than any of the quarterbacks on that roster. Even Sanchez is better than Quinn, that says alot.

29. source7769 says: Sep 7, 2013 1:05 PM

it doesnt take a genius to realize they cut him since sanchez, smith and simms make the 3 qbs on the roster why pay a guy a whole yr when they only need him till sanchez is ready he will be resigned and cut again by week 4

30. philyeagles5 says: Sep 7, 2013 1:05 PM

The right thing for Quinn? The dude is a joke. I’d put him on tebows level he’s that bad. I just don’t get why teams sign this guy.

31. kabasaman says: Sep 7, 2013 1:09 PM

No one cares……we are all sick of the Jets and their drama. Every time I see Rex on the tv, I shut if off…

32. ninerswilldominatelikebefore says: Sep 7, 2013 1:22 PM

1-15 rex gets canned week 6, vinny testaverde finishes off the season, they get the number #1 pick BUT clowney pulls a bo jackson on them..

33. phinfan says: Sep 7, 2013 1:24 PM

eatitfanboy says: Sep 7, 2013 12:58 PM

phinfan says:
    Sep 7, 2013 12:12 PM

====

And no one has ever accused the Jets of being smart.

Exactly the point ‘Money did the talking’. Look at Seattle going with RW3 over high priced Matt Flynn. Gotta roll the dice with the hot hand and Simms out played all of them (not by allot) but still… out played

34. bsizemore68 says: Sep 7, 2013 1:29 PM

5 teams have dropped him, so where are the Miami fans who went crazy when they pass on him in the draft? Bill

35. gudy2shoes says: Sep 7, 2013 1:32 PM

Brady will be a good pick up for someone. He played well in practice and pre season for Seattle, where he received the best coaching in football.

36. thecrabcakestate says: Sep 7, 2013 1:43 PM

It’s hard to believe at this point that Quinn was such a great QB prospect. Just shows you how much of a crap shoot the draft can be

37. denverwally says: Sep 7, 2013 1:46 PM

Knowing the Jets clear expertise at evaluating QB talent, I am pretty sure they just released the best QB they had on the roster.

J-E-S-T’s

38. patriots123456 says: Sep 7, 2013 1:53 PM

The Jet’s decided having someone on their team named “Brady” only tormented them.

39. malibu67 says: Sep 7, 2013 1:56 PM

So much for Charlie Weis’notion that Quinn would be a great NFL QB. …. Wies is now in Kansas – what does that tell us/

40. thegonz13 says: Sep 7, 2013 2:01 PM

The QB’s with the Jets go round and round, round and round, round and round..

41. mulehead70 says: Sep 7, 2013 2:08 PM

Rex Ryan: Ok, Brady, so what can you tell us about the Bucs offense, seeing as they just cut you?

Brady Quinn: Um, Coach Ryan, I was with the Seahawks, not the Bucs.

Rex Ryan (sighing): Give me your playbook.

John Idzik: Sorry, Rex….my bad.

42. thebigtim2012 says: Sep 7, 2013 2:17 PM

Brady has gotten a raw deal at every turn. I’m not saying he’s a great qb what I’m saying is he’s never had a real team around him to show what he could do with a offensive line and some real receivers. Any qb would have looked terrible on the teams he’s played for. He really didn’t look that bad in pre season this year but that’s pre season. He was rushed into starting instead of being able to take the time to develop. Put him with a halfway decent team and I believe he will be all right.

43. blackhawks2010 says: Sep 7, 2013 2:20 PM

Are there any teams left that haven’t released Quinn?

44. brownsclown says: Sep 7, 2013 2:21 PM

Quinn is impressive on the sidelines holding a clipboard; somewhat less so when throwing the football. Plus he really needs a pedicure and Rex doesn’t like players who don’t take care of their feet.

Next stop– the CFL!

45. butchhickory says: Sep 7, 2013 2:25 PM

This team should be talked about as much as me clinbing a tree in my childhood. It’s not relevant anymore

46. msstiller58 says: Sep 7, 2013 2:35 PM

Thebigtim, I agree. Look at the teams AND coaches. If he had a top-notch coach, he could be a good starter and a great back-up. The guy is very intelligent, has two masters degrees. I saw him play at ND and thought he’d make it in the NFL. Still think he could with the right team and staff.

47. bubba703 says: Sep 7, 2013 2:35 PM

As soon as Smith throws an interception or two, we all know J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets fans will be chanting SIMS SIMS SIMS.

48. afcdomination says: Sep 7, 2013 2:50 PM

geno does NOT do well when people question him, or when he plays poorly. he folds, he stops answering questions with the media. that whole situation just screams “Failure”

and Quinn? why even go there. anyone who watched a few KC games last year, can tell you that brady Quinn gets a LOT of credit for throwing away a bunch of close games with silly interceptions. Im GLAD that he did, as it got KC a few things to help them get back to what they were in the 90’s. 1st in the waiver order on every single player cut at 53 cut down, and the top pick.

Quinn is a TERRIBLE nfl QB. there is a reason KC had no problem letting him walk, while paying chase Daniel a ton of money to backup. even little chase has shown SOME sign of life

49. eatitfanboy says: Sep 7, 2013 3:12 PM

butchhickory says:
    Sep 7, 2013 2:25 PM

====

I, for one, felt that your tree climbing career was completely underrated. People then didn’t appreciate the athleticism and quick-twitch muscle reactions necessary to pull off some of the moves you used to overcome adversity when faced with broken branches or angry nesting birds. How you’re not in the Hall of Fame is a mystery.

50. dlk47823 says: Sep 7, 2013 3:14 PM

butchhickory- yet, you still feel the need to comment.

51. dlk47823 says: Sep 7, 2013 3:15 PM

Belicheck makes these moves every year…..then its GENIUS!

52. jetsareajoke says: Sep 7, 2013 3:33 PM

But Simms out played him – why would he not start?!
    —————-
    Uhhhh, it’s the jests. Need I say more?

53. phinfan says: Sep 7, 2013 4:17 PM

But Simms out played him – why would he not start?!
    —————-
    Uhhhh, it’s the jests. Need I say more?

True. However I’m not a Jets fan (division rival obviously) and that Simms kid caught my attention. I’m sure he will start in no time flat if Geno can’t get up to speed. Best of luck.

54. zetotalpackage says: Sep 7, 2013 4:21 PM

The 2007 NFL draft: first three QB picks were JaMeatball Russell, Brady Quinn, and Kevin Kolb. Has there even been a more glaring set of busts?

55. jimatmad says: Sep 7, 2013 5:15 PM

I’m putting the over/ under on Rex being fired at the bye week.

I’d guess the Jets will be at 1-8 or 2-7, and they’ll bring promote somebody to finish the season.

56. jimatmad says: Sep 7, 2013 6:12 PM

Cut by the Browns, Chiefs, and Jets….

That really doesn’t look good on the resume.

57. randyrichbourg says: Sep 7, 2013 6:31 PM

Why don’t the Jets just get all of their players from Labor Finders? Then they could pay them only for days that they actually worked, wouldn’t have to carry insurance, and the players could go back to Labor Finders at the end of every day to get their paychecks. If someone got injured, just tell them not to come back tomorrow and call Labor Finders and order a new man.

58. edavidberg says: Sep 7, 2013 7:15 PM

I don’t think the Jets are too worried about losing him, and if they do they can always sign Tyler Palko or Caleb Hanie who are just as good I mean bad.

59. ytownjoe says: Sep 7, 2013 7:38 PM

Quinn’s done a great job of hanging around as long as he has.

60. mrfrostyj says: Sep 7, 2013 9:20 PM

I think Browns and Chiefs fans would question if you can call what he did “playing” when he was on those teams.

61. greyhawk9 says: Sep 7, 2013 9:27 PM

Yeah they’re definitely set at qb….. Teeheehee

62. mrfrostyj says: Sep 7, 2013 9:34 PM

thebigtim2012 says: Sep 7, 2013 2:17 PM

—————————————————-

That’s pretty funny considering Derek Anderson got 10 wins and a ridiculous amount of passing records with the same receivers and offensive lineman that Quinn couldn’t handle in Cleveland. Not only that but he was almost the only member of the Chiefs who didn’t make the pro bowl last season for obvious reasons.

How many other QB’s in the history of the NFL have EVER heard the words “We’d rather go with Tim Tebow”?

Maybe he can go start a law firm with the other two busts from that draft class. I’d get legal advice from the firm of Russell, Quinn and Kolb.

63. jamesonkersey says: Sep 8, 2013 4:01 AM

Whose draft day fall from grace was worse him or geno?

64. ourballsrbiggerincanada says: Oct 5, 2013 11:51 AM

brownsclown,
    Funny stuff, quinn not good enough for a c.f.l.team.
    (Stop laughing)seriously,not good enough for even
    My home team.the 3-13 edmonton eskimos. Every time we get nfl players with a decent pedigree , to come play 3 down football ,it ends up being a bust!even very good players(see ricky williams,eric couch, many moons ago
    Vince ferragamo) to name just a few. Xceptions of course(doug flutie). A lot of high profile college players come up here thinking they r going to dominate.not so much. Different nuances up here,that some players just can’t get a handle on. And heh,joe theismann once said
    Our little leauge is the hardest hitting football he ever played. Bigger field, u can really get up to speed in the open space,and crush your opponent. Too much for pretty boy quinn. He’s more likely(but probably not) to find success south of the 49th parralell. Imo, he’s a decent enough journeyman to catch on somewhere and take a bakers doz. Snaps a yr. And my gfriend says he looks great carryin a clipboard. I’m out!