Reports: Bruno Mars to perform at Super Bowl XLVIII

AP

According to multiple published reports, we now know who will be playing the Super Bowl XLVIII halftime show.

The Los Angeles Times and the Associated Press both report that Bruno Mars will perform in between halves during the NFL’s title game, which is slated for Sunday, February 2, 2014 at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey. The Times first reported Mars’ placement on the halftime bill.

Mars’ latest album, “Unorthodox Jukebox,” is currently No. 9 on the Billboard charts. He’s had four No. 1 singles as a solo artist, per Billboard: “When I Was Your Man,” “Just The Way You Are,” “Locked Out of Heaven,” and “Grenade.” He was also featured on B.o.B’s “Nothin’ On You,” which went to No. 1 in 2010.

187 responses to “Reports: Bruno Mars to perform at Super Bowl XLVIII

1. I know very little about Bruno Mars, so I looked him up to find out his first album came out in 2010. How is he relevant enough to perform at the Super Bowl? I want the Foo Fighters.

2. At every house/ sports bar I have seen the Super Bowl the half time show has becomes an exodus to the bathroom and or grab another drink.

Mainly because the performers they choose are aimed at pleasing the girlfriends/ wives who tag along and give them 30 minutes of entertainment.

Yeah nothing says fuel pumping adrenaline like Beyonce and Bruno …. SMH.

3. The kid is talented. Has good music. Squeeky clean record. Has a good live sound and live band.

Problem is…he’s not Halftime potential.

4. I think this is another swing-and-a-miss as far as halftime performers. This dude is just another radio darling, and I can’t really see him rockin’ the joint or whippin people up into a frenzy with cheesy love songs.

5. Noooo why? I’d rather listen to nickelback. Seriously, Bruno Mars is terrible. Lol I don’t even watch the halftime show anyways why do I care??

6. This is great news! Bruno Mars is a terrific performer and his music does a good job of reach multiple demographics. Bet it’s a way better show than what the black eyed peas gave us a few years ago

7. The halftime show should be played by a musical group that can absolutey ignite the crowd, get the whole building jumping, and give the fans such a memorable 30-40 min concert experience that for just a moment they forget they are there to watch football. Bruno Mars won’t be firing anyone up, outside of the lucky 14 year old girls attending the Superbowl…

8. Looks like they wanted an artist that would be appealing to women…

I’ll be honest, I think the dude is terrible.

9. Isn’t he like 60 years too young to play the Super Bowl. About time they got someone in their prime instead of 3 decades past it.

10. Who in the heck is Bruno Mars? Never heard of him. NFL screwed up again. Bring back Elvis, someone who can sing and you can understand the words.

11. I’m 46 but I have to say the Bruno Mars is extremely talented. He was spectacular on SNL. Not a huge fan of his musical genre, but he is very entertaining, and he wasn’t born in the 50’s, which is a huge upgrade over typical Super Bowl entertainment.

12. I’m only 36, but when it comes to today’s music, I feel like a grumpy old man. None of it’s any good.

13. greglloydrules says:
    Sep 7, 2013 3:33 PM
    I will once again watch something else during halftime. Alice in Chains or Metallica would’ve been my choice.
    ===

I love Metallica, but I think it’s hilarious that the same fans that bashed them for “selling out” now want them to play the Super Bowl halftime show.

14. I think this is a promising choice. How refreshing to have someone who has a few hits and is probably still on his way up than an act that is well past its artistic peak.

I bet the Rolling Stones would have been sweet during any of the first five or ten Super Bowls.

Maybe we should wait thirty years then ask Bruno Mars to play?

15. jokendave says:
    Sep 7, 2013 3:40 PM
    Now the NFL can’t afford acts that anybody knows? Now I have to find something to do at half time. That bites. Nice call!

====

If you’ve never heard of Bruno Mars, you haven’t listened to commercial radio in 5 years. He has multiple Top 10 hits.

So what is the NFL supposed to do, call you and ask you what is on your iPod?

16. eaglefan94 says:
    Sep 7, 2013 3:13 PM

Here is a nifty idea – read the article. Album is No. 9 on the Billboard and has had 4 number 1 singles. Sounds relevant to me fatso

17. This dude is pretty good. It took me some time to figure it out because I usually don’t listen to the type of radio you’ll find his music on, but his sound is pretty legit.

kind of earth wind and fire mixed with Michael Jackson.

Sord of funky and fun. Makes me want to get my buger sugar on.

18. I dont know anything about Bruno Mars. He may be a very good entertainer. But, if you are going to use him why didnt the Superbowl committee consider like talent? Rick Astley, and Spandeau Ballet are available.

19. I believe that most people would find a group such as the Marine Corp Band would be more suitable and much more deserving to play during the half time of the Super Bowl. Just my .02

20. You have a Super Bowl in NEW JERSEY for the first and probably ONLY TIME EVER and they aren’t going to use Bon Jovi or Bruce Springsteen? That’s a head scratcher!

I know Bruce played it a few years ago but figured one of those 2 would get the halftime gig here

21. @ swaggy

Hey Nickelback actually have some good songs for a halftime show. Listen to “Burn It to the Ground” and “This Means War” when you get a chance.

Problem is the NFL won’t ever call them again after the Thanksgiving controversy.

22. bigshirk says:
    Sep 7, 2013 3:15 PM
    Ohh my lord. Awful. Why can’t we have some Godsmack or some Limp Bizkit.

_____________________

Because a worldwide audience does not want these bottom feeders as halftime entertainment.

23. who the fark is he? if in fact he is a he – which goes along with the general trend in the NFL administration.

24. This is 100% so the women watching the Super Bowl keep the TV tuned to the network, overruling the men’s desire to watch commentary on the NFL Network or ESPN. Look for halftime ads about Michelob Ultra, the Toyota Sienna, Huggies, and what to watch for next week on the View.

25. And I was hoping for Miley Cyrus and forty minutes of twerking and jerking during half-time.

On a serious note, I’d like to read a PFT piece on how the NFL picks the halftime performers. It seems like a real lose-lose decision, but it’d be interesting to know who makes it and the criteria they use to choose the star.

Personally, I’d just as soon skip the half-time BS and keep the game flowing as per any given Sunday. I don’t need forty minutes to hit the head and grab another beer and handful of chicken wings from the kitchen.

26. He was pretty big a while back, but hasn’t really done much of anything in a hot minute– Perfect Superbowl performer. Now if only they could grab Matchbox 20, 50 Cent, and Counting Crows as co-performers, they’d have the perfect Super Bowl lineup.

27. Wish they would have signed the Rolling Stones for one last gig. Yeah, they’re old and almost dead, but they’re still better than 90% of the rock bands out there today. Would’ve loved to have seen them play live one last time!

28. Awful choice. Bruno does have some talent and a decent voice but he is not a good pick IMO. Not my kind of music. Can we plz get Metallica or ACDC?

29. There have been a lot of halftime performers that I don’t like. This is the first one I’ve never heard of. Guess I won’t mind waiting in line to go the bathroom at halftime this year, either.

30. Metallica, ACDC, Bon Jovi???

are yall listening to yourselves? The worst american bands of all time.

If we want old farts to perform, at least pick bands that are actually talented.

Allman Brothers Band or Phish

31. To all the dudes out there saying who is Bruno Mars, it should be Metallica playing…GET OUT OF YOUR MOM’S BASEMENT ONE TIME.

32. Haven’t watch a halftime show in 10 years-that streak will continue. If I want to watch a midget perform I’ll turn on the Wizard of Oz.

33. Maybe he’ll go back to his roots and come out as ‘Little Bruno’ the youngest Elvis impersonator. He was great growing up in Waikiki when he starred in his Dad’s Lovenotes show way back when.
    Baby Elvis Lives!

Bruno, you’ve come a long way baby… wow, just hide the coke and it’s on with the show!

js

34. Wtf is a Bruno Mars? Sounds like a B grade sci fi movie or an ice cream flavor. We’re AC/DC, John Mellencamp, Bon Jovi, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac not available?

35. I read a story a couple weeks ago where former Packers and current Buccaneers TE Tom Crabtree was asked what his favorite halftime show was. He said it was the one during Super Bowl 45. When he was asked why he said it was because he was in the locker room while it was going on!

36. Alright! Another halftime show I don’t have to care about watching! Thanks NFL, always lookin out for me. Now I have all this free time during halftime to do whatever I want!

37. The Onion has a tshirt that says it best, when it comes to all this music preference complaining…those slagging popular bands and promoting bands no-one heard of, just to be different: “Your favourite band sucks”

38. pilot2011 says:
    Sep 7, 2013 4:37 PM
    Metallica, ACDC, Bon Jovi???

are yall listening to yourselves? The worst american bands of all time.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Are you? AC/DC is Australian

39. “Bruno Mars will perform in between halves”. Isn’t that also known as halftime.

Some of you need to get up to speed on your current events. Someone requested Beyonce. Umm, she performed at halftime last year. And sucked.

Someone says Bruno Mars has a squeaky clean record. He did get busted for marijuana (which should probably just be legalized anyway). But for now it’s still illegal in most states.

But yes, at least it’s not The Who, Paul McCartney (if he was performing with The Beatles, then you’d have a real story), or the Boss which some have suggested. No interest in seeing the Boss get up there and look like he’s going to burst a blood vessel.

40. Oh. Looks like they picked a guy ’cause it’s gonna be WAY too cold for scimpy outfits on da ladies. I heard the theme will be igloo and parka based.

41. be honest, this site should be filled with guys, now who really cares about whos performing, its not football, some of yal sound like some ladies, grow a pair

42. C`mon man…..Bring some talent!!!!!,Earth,wind & Fire.Led Zeppelin,Cameo,ZZ top,The Roots,fleetwood Mac,George Cinton, Van Halen.So in other wordz anybody but these nontalented new school bums…….

43. Normally I’d say Slayer is great but no Lombardo or Hanneman and no thanks. Someone said Rammstein and I saw them at Download Fest last year. What a wild stage show they got, certainly would be entertaining as hell.

44. He is an amazing live performer, which is great, but his music is so bland. Not really looking forward to it. Maybe he’ll do a cover instead of just his own music. That would be good.

45. seriously, who has EVER cared who is performing at halftime? I didn’t care when it was the lame marching bands, didn’t care when it was Bruce Sprinsteen, didn’t care when it was Britanny Spears, didn’t care when it was Janet Jackson (well, maybe a little bit that year, lol), didn’t care when it was any of the over the hill acts the last few years, and won’t care next January when it’s Bruno Mars. If not just for the fact it’s out of place in a football game, but live musical performances usually blow anyway with people singing off key, bad lip syncing, and alot of bad dancing.

What are people, like 10, where they are enamored by looking at these narcissists perform their meaningless songs in person?

Just give me a breakdown of the game and what each team needs to do in the second half. That would suffice.

46. baldy55 says:
    Sep 7, 2013 5:22 PM
    CHRIST! Why don’t they get VAN HALEN and a bunch of Victoria Secret chicks on stage and just blow the doors off the joint?

————-

Probably would be great. Someone mentioned foo fighters above. That would be good too. ACDC would be my pick.

47. 12444uggg says:
    Sep 7, 2013 3:18 PM
    I never watch the halftime show, I really don’t understand why it’s an attraction. I’ve got a stereo and my own taste in music.

————

Because it’s massive budget live show. It doesn’t matter if it’s my taste in music, if it’s a great show I still appreciate it.

48. Can you please keep us all updated on all the halftime performances throughout the season. Seeing as how this is ProFootballTalk, I am sure that everyone visiting this site is very interested in who performs during halftime of a game instead of the actual game.

49. not my style. Dude can definitely sing, but so can Barbara Streisand. doesnt mean it fits the context of football. Its too prissy

Personally, I like progressive metal, but I realistically dont expect Between The Buried and Me or even Dream Theater to do a halftime show. But seriously, it can get a little more ballsy than Bruno Mars. Huge bands like Kiss, Motley Crue, or Def Leppard werent available?

50. Oh good! Last year we were able to cook some dinner, and the power outage helped, this year we’ll have a set bathroom break, food prep time. Thanks Super Bowl for knowing nothing about your Super Bowl Audience!

51. The kid is talented. Has good music. Squeeky clean record. Has a good live sound and live band.

Problem is…he’s not Halftime potential.

=============================

Ahhhh, pretty sure he got busted for possession of blow last year…

52. I didn’t know any of his music so I looked up one of his songs you listed on youtube.

The one called “Grenade”

LOL!!!!

That is quite literally one of the most laughably bad songs I’ve heard in my life. It seems like it should be a parody but its for real.

This guy is gonna be the halftime show???????

53. I have no idea who Bruno Mars is. I do like the idea of newer performers instead of the same ole same ole,but how about Avenged Sevenfold or Five Finger Death Punch?

54. I’m on board with the Van Halen folk – the gay decision makers would never go for real entertainment – they expect everyone to bail at halftime anyway.

55. I’m sure Bruno Mars is a lot cheaper than Bruce Springsteen or Bon Jovi. The NFL has a concussion lawsuit settlement to pay out. If they gotta cut costs, I’m sure this is one way to cut it!

In all seriousness, Bruno is a talented guy. I’m not a huge fan of his stuff, but my wife is, and Bruno tends to put on a good live show with a sort of throwback vibe to the 50s, 60s, and 70s, depending on what tour/show you see him perform.

Also, I doubt he’s the only performer.

In my dream world, here are my top Superbowl halftime picks:

Led Zeppelin (with Jon Bonham’s son on drums)
    Guns N Roses (the original, not the “new” one)
    AC/DC

I know those are “old” acts, but honestly, who’s going to beat “Immigrant Song” “Welcome to the Jungle” or “Thunderstruck”?

Or…Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters did a show a while back featuring half of Led Zeppelin…it was pretty awesome. I could dig that as well.

56. There is a small bright side to this. At least they didn’t go for Katy Perry or Justin Beiber. I don’t like any of them. I believe the half time should be an artist who has earned their due. A real performer. Bruno is right in line with the crap they have had lately trying to appeal to the NON football fans. Foo Fighters, The Eagles, Bon Jovi, Prince (have him every year, he evolves, and puts on a REAL show), Willie Nelson, Lenny Kravitz, Kid Rock, Jay Z, etc… Enough with the dancing, lup synching, the over done light, etc.. etc… bring a real MUSICAL artist in to play it.

I don’t have a lot against Bruno, not a fan, but he just hasn’t been around long enough to earn this kinda honor.

57. jokendave says:

So what is the NFL supposed to do, call you and ask you what is
    —————————————
    No they shouldn’t call me. But the obviously shouldn’t call you either. The half time show is for people of all ages, not just for people such as yourself. I listen to the radio but, I do not buy air waves that I believe should be free. I will leave that to people who do not care where there money goes.( The reason you pay a lot for the airwaves is because people will pay. I won’t) I do watch football though. Through out the years they have brought talent from all over the musical industry. Some I have liked, some not. But the difference is I have at least heard of their popularity. Though I live a life that is not on the radio, I have listened to my share of music and I have played venues for years. I am not popular nor famous. But I am far from ignorant. My statement is my opinion. You have yours. I looked up online before my statement. And it is still the same, They shouldn’t have to go to “Mars” for a halftime show.

58. Just when I think Kissing Suzy Kolber is being rough on PFT commenters, you guys manage to make me remember what a bunch of collective dolts you can be.

“Who is Bruno Mars?”
    “I’d rather have Nickelback/Bon Jovi/etc. as halftime performers.”
    “What about MY favorite band that even less people have heard of (Skrillex/Avenged Sevenfold/etc.)?”
    “This guy sucks”

Why don’t you clowns peak your heads out of your parents’ basements and expand your horizons? According to you guys, I’m in the NFL’s target demographic, and while I love metal and classic rock, I can appreciate a talented current performer. This guy produces, writes his own music and puts on a great stage show.

But you morons would rather go ahead and complain (about something, anything) until your teams are eliminated while listening to your Black Oak Arkansas 8-tracks in your mom’s old Pinto.

59. The SB Halftime is always so lame–makes the good old Pete Rozelle days that featured “Up with People” almost look good by comparison….

60. And yeah, I know that Avenged Sevenfold currently has the number one album on the Billboard charts, and I guarantee you less people have heard of them than Mars and they would resonate with a much smaller viewing audience.

Just because the Black Eyed Peas, Madonna and Beyonce all managed to stink during recent halftime performances is no reason to believe every pop performer can’t handle the halftime stage.

61. I agree with most of you , music of today, sucks! There are only a few “singers” who actually SING! The rest just talk; and Bruno Mars is one of the few. The others are Alacia Keys and unmm??????

62. The only way I would watch the half time show is if I’m invited to be one of the fake teeny bopper (lemmings)crowd around the stage. Otherwise, I’ll save my 30 minute deuce for half time.

63. Bruno Mars is the real deal. This from a 56 year old classic rock type dude. You know when someone is THAT good, and this guy delivers. Check out his SNL schtick on Hulu it’s free. Talented, sense of humor, good stuff.

64. nothing will ever top Prince’s performance. i say just get artists with the top album the year in 4 genres. and an awesome marching band.. drumline style. those ALWAYS get people pumped up. why make it more complicated than it really is?

65. If you say Bruno Mars is clean or talented you are sorely mistaken. I work at a concert venue he performed at. He smoked pot on stage during sound check in which he lip synced. He gave the head of guest services 20 backstage passes to give out to “very attractive and thin girls, under 25 who are willing to give it up” His songs are full of sexual innuendos and references, don’t forget he wrote the Cee Lo Greene song F*** you that became a smash hit.

Now why couldn’t they get the northeast most popular live act Phish!! That would be the best halftime show ever. Real musicians jamming and putting on a halftime to remember.

66. One thing I think people are forgetting is that with this being Feb., in New Jersey, and at an outdoor stadium, that it could very easily be like 6 degrees out with a wind chill of -9 with blowing snow and just miserable out.

Maybe a lot of the so-called bigger name bands declined because of that reason alone !

If conditions are terrible out, odds are instruments wont play as well, the music wont sound as good as normal, and if it’s a bad performance, it could actually HURT his/her/their career more than it would help it !

67. Eagles or Tom Petty would be great, anything with Dave Grohl also, as long as we are talking Old……how about getting Blind Faith back together , if anyone other than Clapton is still alive

68. jokendave says:
    Sep 7, 2013 6:32 PM
    jokendave says:

So what is the NFL supposed to do, call you and ask you what is
    —————————————
    =========

Ummm……what are you talking about? I don’t “pay alot for the airwaves”. I don’t pay anything for the airwaves. I’ve just heard of Bruno Mars, like 98% of the population has. You sound like a crazy person.

69. bigbenissuperman says:
    Sep 7, 2013 8:00 PM

___________________________________

Now I would be totally down with this! If Phish isn’t available, get Umphrey’s McGee or Gov’t Mule (the source of my screen name)

70. I’m happy with this choice, for all the people slamming it, you clearly haven’t seen Bruno Mars during a live performance. I don’t know that there’s many that give as energetic and absolutely outstanding live performance as this guy does nowadays. In terms of his music, he’s probably about average but you put him out on a stage and he can get a crowd going. I saw him give an absolutely phenomenal cover of Michael Jackson’s “Dirty Diana” that basically got the entire crowd going wild. He knows how to play up to a crowd, he has music that goes across a variety of demographics, I think he’s a terrific choice by the NFL.

71. I don’t hate Bruno Mars, but he just doesn’t have enough…gravitas…to be THE Super Bowl halftime entertainment. I despise you Fidel Goodell.

72. I hate anybody that’s not Country. When will the NFL ever get a Country Music act for Super Bowl halftime?

73. swaggyy says:
    Sep 7, 2013 3:20 PM
    ——————–

And I would rather shoot my ears out. The only radio I listen to is Sirius NFL radio and Howard Stern.

The Skrillex or Deadmaou5 would be good up tempo music to set the pace for high speed urinating/cooking/telling the wife to to shut the kids up for 2 more hours/drinking excessively. There is a lot to do while the garbage halftime entertainment is wasting valuable time.

74. I wish MTV would bring back the Beavis and Butt-Head Butt Bowl Halftime show – millions, including myself, would watch. In the old days you had In Living Color, Beavis and Butt-Head, WWF, anything other than the garbage the NFL tries to hype for half-time.

How about that amazing Ohio State Marching Band — you want to talk about something that people would tune in to see. How about some local 6 year olds playing pee wee football, I’d rather see that. Stick to football NFL.

75. Who in the name of Neptune is Bruno Mars? I’m not thinking we should have Limp Bizkit, or Godsmack as others have suggested. But how about someone ppl have actually heard of?
    I know the NFL tries to pick artists who have more mass appeal, but there has to be a happy medium between someone who many have never heard of to someone as polarizing as Madonna.
    I am sure there is a happy medium…maybe someone like Journey.

76. Bruno Mars?? And next year, it’ll be Justin Beiber. (insert facepalm). It’s clear the NFL has lost touch with its fanbase.