Rob Gronkowski doesn’t travel to Buffalo

New England Patriots v Buffalo Bills Getty Images

It now seems all but a certainty that tight end Rob Gronkowski won’t play in the Patriots’ season opener at Buffalo on Sunday.

According to Albert Breer of NFL Network, Gronkowski wasn’t part of the club’s traveling party to New York on Saturday.

Gronkowski was listed as doubtful on the Patriots’ Friday injury report with back and forearm injuries. He was a limited practice participant throughout the week.

With Gronkowski appearing to be out for Week One, veteran Michael Hoomanawanui and rookie Zach Sudfeld could well be Patriots’ lone tight ends for the opener.

One of the game’s top receiving threats at his position, the 24-year-old Gronkowski has caught 187 passes for 2,663 yards and 38 touchdowns in regular-season play since 2010.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Rob Gronkowski doesn’t travel to Buffalo”
  1. wwwmattcom says: Sep 7, 2013 5:35 PM

Welker looked pretty sharp in Denver.

2. beerndrums says: Sep 7, 2013 5:38 PM

There’s only one thing to do Buffalo…pound on Brady any chance you get and if you have a shot at his knees….go for it.Just say what the rookie in Houston said after he took out Kellers knees…”I didn’t want to go for his head”
    You can do it Buffalo

3. skinsfan91 says: Sep 7, 2013 5:49 PM

It’d simply be unfair if this dude never got injured.

4. skoobyfl says: Sep 7, 2013 5:49 PM

The Bills are going to get paid.

5. keepounding1234 says: Sep 7, 2013 5:55 PM

@beerndrums
    Go for his knees if you get a chance? What is wrong with you?

6. truetrue85 says: Sep 7, 2013 5:56 PM

@wwwmattcom: Really? Other than two touchdowns from the 1 yard line (one of which nobody even covered him), all I saw was 4 catches for a pedestrian 38 yards, a fumbled punt that handed the Ravens a TD and a drop on 3rd down that the refs called a catch for some reason. Welker still gets open, but to me he looks old and slow getting tackled every time he catches the ball… no YAC. I like Welker just as much as the next guy, but let’s call a spade a spade shall we.

7. terripet says: Sep 7, 2013 5:58 PM

This guy is done he will never play a full season

8. hamlet423 says: Sep 7, 2013 5:59 PM

You should not advocate for a player to be injured. But I am shocked nobody has tried to “accidently” tackle Belichick a few times. Take him out and the Patriots will really be in trouble.

You could also just let Danny Amendola play and he’ll likely get hurt somehow.

Curious to see how EJ Manuel plays.

9. verybadadvice12 says: Sep 7, 2013 6:06 PM

wwwmattcom says:
    Sep 7, 2013 5:35 PM
    Welker looked pretty sharp in Denver

———-

Welker is a good player but he exhibited the same problems he had in New England. He muffed a punt that led to a Baltimore touchdown on the next play and dropped a key third down conversion ( it was ruled a catch on the field but replay clearly showed otherwise). The guy is a solid player but when it comes down to it you just can’t trust the guys hands.

10. sschmiggles says: Sep 7, 2013 6:08 PM

Oh, so now Welker is “old and slow” now that he’s on another team? He looked like the Broncos’ best receiver on Thursday. He’s going to have a monster year with Peyton. No one can single cover Welker.

I’m looking forward to seeing Amendola, and I think he’ll be a great player for the Pats, but I’m not going to start hating on Wes.

BTW – I’m a Pats fan

11. aljack88 says: Sep 7, 2013 6:17 PM

sschmiggles says:
    Sep 7, 2013 6:08 PM
    ……… He looked like the Broncos’ best receiver on Thursday. He’s going to have a monster year with Peyton. No one can single cover Welker…..
    —————————————————–

Best receiver on the Broncos? Are you serious?

Have you ever watched Demarylus Thomas?

12. truetrue85 says: Sep 7, 2013 6:19 PM

@sschmiggles: I’m not hating on Welker, I love the guy. I’m simply making an honest observation. Like I said, he still gets open, but he’s not getting any separation after the catch like he has done so consistently in the past. To me he looks as if he’s lost a step, and I’ve been saying this since last year when he was on the Patriots.

13. harrisonhits2 says: Sep 7, 2013 6:28 PM

Pats keys to success -

1. Team plane must land safely in Buffalo.

2. Transportation from airport to hotel and tomorrow from hotel to stadium must not be involved in an accident.

3. Brady must not trip, fall and injure his throwing arm walking from the locker room to the field.

Ok they need to do a little more than that but if the Pats lose this game I’ll be very surprised.

Go Pats !

14. aljack88 says: Sep 7, 2013 7:08 PM

@harrisonhits2 – Pats’ fan too, but I quit taking anything for granted a long time ago.

I’m forever stunned by Bill Buckner.

15. sschmiggles says: Sep 7, 2013 7:10 PM

Best receiver on the Broncos? Are you serious?
    ______________________

I said he LOOKED like their best receiver, not that he was.

Let me know the next time Thomas puts up five 100 catch seasons in a row. Thomas is their big play guy, but Welker will be getting the first look from Peyton. It’s not an accident that he was targeted, what, 11 times on Thursday.

16. themagicman1223 says: Sep 7, 2013 7:53 PM

I think we understand what he said, Thomas was still much better than Welker on Thursday. Welker made a couple of mistakes that could’ve been costly, Thomas is much more reliable. His size/speed combination is incredible, just a freakish athlete.

17. titansbro says: Sep 7, 2013 7:55 PM

Typical Boston fans hate on the guy as soon as he leaves town. It’s the same ole story. Ray Allen, Johnny Damon, & Wes Welker among many others. It’s so lame.

18. EJ says: Sep 7, 2013 7:59 PM

Welker will have a huge year with Manning throwing to him. He will easily become Peyton’s favorite target. He was thrown to 11 times on Thursday night, that is no accident.

19. annes22 says: Sep 7, 2013 8:20 PM

Wes looked pretty good to me. He will have a huge year, and Tommy “pretty boy” will miss him.
    The Patsys will wish they never let him go, just wait.
    Amendola will be injured more than he plays.

20. packerfaninsandiego says: Sep 7, 2013 8:32 PM

I don’t get it why players that are not going to play do not travel with the team? Don’t you think Gron could help out the receivers?

21. bcajun says: Sep 7, 2013 8:41 PM

Jimmy Graham turned out better

22. sportsmeccabi says: Sep 7, 2013 8:51 PM

I love the back and forth between fans midseason.

Football is back!

23. fordmandalay says: Sep 7, 2013 8:57 PM

It’s a good idea to rest Gronk since this is basically a ‘bye’ week for NE anyway. Bills 0-16 in 2013.

24. titusyoungslegalcounsel says: Sep 7, 2013 9:01 PM

Welker averaged what 7 yards a catch? My lord, he is so over rated it’s not funny. As soon as Webb covered him he did absolutely nothing and D. Thomas lit them up for 150 yards. Calling Wes Welker a “great” wide reciever is like calling Darren Sproles a great running back

25. floratiotime says: Sep 8, 2013 4:27 AM

And the second prize is … TWO weeks in Buffalo.

26. robuff716 says: Sep 8, 2013 8:52 AM

Gronk is here…..he just made his own travel arrangements so he could be with his family…..