Pouncey carted off in Pittsburgh

Getty Images

The Steelers suffered a potentially costly injury in the first quarter of the first game of the season.

Maurkice Pouncey, the Steelers’ starting center, was carted off the field with an apparent leg injury early in the game against the Titans.

There is no immediate word on the severity of the injury, but teammates looked very concerned.

The Steelers’ backup center, Cody Wallace, was inactive for today’s game. Kelvin Beachum is now in at center in place of Pouncey.

UPDATE 1:50 p.m. ET: Pouncey is heading to the hospital for an MRI on his knee.

33 responses to “Pouncey carted off in Pittsburgh

1. You should add he was taken out by a Steelers lineman on a cheap looking block intended for a Titans player.

2. What in the hell was DeCastro targeting? That was almost impossible to believe your eyes. It was like a clean torpedo shot at the back of Pounce’s right leg – with no white jersey in site.

3. If Roger Goodell and his crew were so worried about player safety, they would have banned blocking below the knees a long time ago.

4. Steeler fans were laughing at the Jacoby Jones friendly fire case, welp now they aren’t laughing. Not a Ravens fan by the way just know that the ones who did find it amusing are feeling quite sour right now.

More importantly this Week 1 rust is more than usual. Multiple safeties, players taking out their own teammates, and then the usual with the drops and what not.

5. Stiller43 says: Sep 8, 2013 1:53 PM

Jakec4,

Its called a “chop block.” A LEGAL block used by all 32 teams.
    —————————————————————-
    Did I say illegal or dirty? I said cheap looking because that’s what it was, and now the only thing the Steelers have going for them on their offensive line is going to the hospital because of his own teammate trying to chop and missing badly.

6. If its legal, how is it dirty? Its literally ruled clean by the league where almost everything is now illegal.

7. I don’t believe this. Pouncey is a great talent, and we hoped he’d be the heir apparent to Mansfield, Webster, Dawson, and Hartings. But those guys were durable as well as talented. My computer would be of little use to me if it broke every time I put my hands on the keyboard.

8. Stiller43 says: Sep 8, 2013 2:06 PM

————————————————————–

9. That’s okay. Pittsburgh wasn’t built in a day. We have six rings for a reason.”

———-

Ha, yeah, that’s true. It actually took about 12000 days I think. You guys will be counting your ex rings fr a long long time.

10. “If a player is engaged with another player I don’t think a third player can come in from behind below the knees like that. Problem is it is hard to know what DeCastro was doing, and they can’t call a penalty when a player stupidly cuts a guy on his team. I can’t act all high and mighty against the tactic because Marshall Yanda does it. If you’re going to do it this play is the blueprint of what can go wrong.”

Uhh yes that can, please learn the rules before you spout off.

Its legal if the two players are lined up next to each other (i.e. LG or RG and C combinations, not LT or RT and C or LG and RG teaming up) to execute those blocks.

Btw i whole heartedly disagree with the rule, but thats the rule, and thats what all 32 teams do.

11. Uhh yes that can, please learn the rules before you spout off.

—————————————————————

You went and looked it up. Congratulations. I’m sure it will bring Pouncey back soon while Ben has been on the turf about ten times since he was carted off.

12. brent05cards says:
    Sep 8, 2013 2:37 PM
    That’s life paying him back for wearing that stupid “Free Hernandez” hat earlier this year. I Hope hes out for the year and gets cut!
    —————————————————-

I hope you get hit in the legs and miss work for a year, not only that but know what it’s like to endure the pain that comes with them. I play the game and know it very well, it isn’t fun.

13. brent05cards …

Did it ever occur to you that the Pouncey brothers are 24-year-old kids who played with Hernandez and can’t believe their former teammate killed anyone? If someone said your buddy killed someone, you might have a little trouble believing that, too. Was it stupid to wear the hats? Yeah. But you wishing that kind of injury on a stupid kid who did nothing worse than wear a hat makes you a much worse person than Pouncey. Grow up.

14. Deb says: Sep 8, 2013 2:06 PM

I don’t believe this. Pouncey is a great talent, and we hoped he’d be the heir apparent to Mansfield, Webster, Dawson, and Hartings. *********************************

If that’s what you want you’ll have to pull out the horse steroids.

Maybe it’s Karma for a classless organization.

BTW – Nice game today.

15. Has anyone ever noticed the guys who put “reality check” in their user names are the ones least likely to do any fact-checking?

RCB, the thing about a fandom fueled by positive feelings for your own teams rather than hatred and jealousy for anyone else’s is that you feel the love win or lose. You just keep steeping in your hate. It may be a long, frustrating NFL season, but when it’s over, I’ll still be basking in the glow of six Super Bowl trophies and (at least) 15 NCAA championships. 😀

16. As a lifelong Browns fan, realitycheckbaby ur so wrong about the steelers. They might be the CLASSIEST franchise in the league. Check out their RINGS!!!!

17. realitycheckbaby says:
    Sep 8, 2013 4:07 PM
    Deb says: Sep 8, 2013 2:06 PM

If that’s what you want you’ll have to pull out the horse steroids.

Maybe it’s Karma for a classless organization.

BTW – Nice game today.

1 8
    Report comment. Envy is fuel for the weak in spirit. Reality check you have no soul……must be still be butt sore from steeler beatings in the past.

18. Nofoolnodrool says: Sep 8, 2013 5:09 PM

Envy is fuel for the weak in spirit.

______________________________________

Wow, that is deep………Your team got spanked by the Titans, deal with it.

19. 24 year old is hardly a “kid”. Don’t like to see players get injured but let’s stop making excuses for poor decision making for a 24 year old adult.

20. orivar says:
    Sep 8, 2013 2:00 PM
    ——————————————-

I don’t know what fans you’re talking about, I specifically posted about how much I hated seeing ANY team’s player get hurt. So ram it. The thing to laugh at is the Ravens overpaying mediocre Flacco. Now THAT’S good comedy.

21. Pouncey was “Engaged” with another player..I’ve seen the replay 20 times and for the life of me I don’t know what DeCastro was doin..is he Color Blind? Dirty and Illegal and it back fired