Jordan Cameron shows promise in Browns’ Week One defeat

Jordan Cameron AP

Yes, the Browns lost yet another home opener.

But let’s look on the bright side.

Every other team in the AFC North lost in Week One, which puts Cleveland in a four-way tie at 0-1.

Secondly, the Browns appear to have developed a very intriguing receiving threat at tight end.

Third-year pro Jordan Cameron led the Browns with nine receptions and 108 yards in Sunday’s 23-10 loss to Miami, and he also hauled in the Browns’ only touchdown. Quarterback Brandon Weeden showed his confidence in Cameron, targeting the Southern Cal product a team-high 13 times. It was a career game for the 25-year-old Cameron, who had never caught more than five passes for 45 yards in a single NFL game.

One of the four passes Cameron didn’t haul in Sunday deflected off his hands and was intercepted by the Dolphins’ Dimitri Patterson. However, Weeden took responsibility for the pick after the game.

“The one with Jordan [Cameron], I threw that ball behind him, the wind took it behind him,” said Weeden, who was intercepted three times on Sunday, according to a transcript from the club. “That one was on me.”

A loss is a loss, but the Browns do have a foundation of young talent to build upon, and Cameron — a former collegiate basketball player — looks like he has the skill to be one of the core players of their offense.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
25 Responses to “Jordan Cameron shows promise in Browns’ Week One defeat”
  1. coltzfan166 says: Sep 9, 2013 10:55 AM

The Browns lost? What?

2. totallyuselessme says: Sep 9, 2013 11:09 AM

Browns fans have been watching this kid for awhile.

And we’re really not surprised.

3. testappleid20 says: Sep 9, 2013 11:13 AM

Who started Jordan in their fantasy league? This guy!

4. wizwix says: Sep 9, 2013 11:15 AM

Sounds like having basketball skills is a key prerequisite to being a stellar TE. See Gates, Antonio & Denver’s new young star, among others…

5. snakeskinsoul says: Sep 9, 2013 11:18 AM

Offensive line injuries and a QB running for his life…same old same old. Been a Browns fan since the 72 playoff game against the Dolphins…only in Cleveland does “SSDD” meet same sh!t, different decade

6. godofwine330 says: Sep 9, 2013 11:21 AM

My brother picked him up in fantasy football. If I hadn’t gotten Gonzalez I would have picked him up. Glad to have him on my team. This is why they drafted him. Go Browns!

7. laxcoach37 says: Sep 9, 2013 11:33 AM

I am Double Pleased today… As a Dolphins Fan and Cameron Fantasy Owner. Thank you Cleveland :)

8. powpow042 says: Sep 9, 2013 11:56 AM

As a Chargers fan I feel badly for Browns fan. Norv Turner was a good coordinator in the 90’s. The game has passed him by.

9. mykl954 says: Sep 9, 2013 12:04 PM

It’s worth noting that the most successful Cameron in that game was Wake with 2.5 sacks on his way to a 20+ sack season. For someone as great as he is, he’s flying surprisingly under the radar, so let’s first give credit where most due!

10. micknangold says: Sep 9, 2013 12:20 PM

I’d like to see the Browns turn into a contender. Cleveland fans deserve a winner with all they’ve been through with the Browns, Indians, and Cavs.

11. bringbackkosar says: Sep 9, 2013 12:21 PM

great, now all we need is a QB, and WRs who can actually catch a football. Can someone please explain to me how Greg Little is on an NFL roster?

12. scaredhitless says: Sep 9, 2013 12:40 PM

He’ll be even better when he’s catching passes from Teddy Bridgewater or Tajh Boyd next year.

13. bigdawgy54 says: Sep 9, 2013 12:52 PM

Weeden says the wind took the ball behind Cameron!? Give me a break!

14. godofwine330 says: Sep 9, 2013 12:58 PM

I know, bigdawgy54. When I heard the excuse that the wind took the ball behind Cameron I knew right then that this is Tim Couch Part Deux. How come every NFL QB I watch goes through progressions, but Weeden plays like I do when I play Madden – make up my mind before the play based on the expected coverage and stare down the guy I picked pre-snap. That is not the mark of an NFL QB.

15. oldbrowndawg says: Sep 9, 2013 1:01 PM

Still two years away. They’ll be mean in 2015.

16. mrlaloosh says: Sep 9, 2013 1:09 PM

I realize there’s nothing to do in Cleveland but, Please stop talking about your fantasy teams. Nobody CARES!
    I just wish the Saints played the Browns this year so the announcers could say: CAMERON JORDAN BEATS JORDAN CAMERON TO SACK GRANDPA WEEDEN!

17. sportsguy6969 says: Sep 9, 2013 1:16 PM

what a joke the clowns are! its been like 20 years it seems like sense they made the playoffs, and every year its the same old results! i love how you clowns talk all this trash in the preason but once your team is 0-4 after the first month of the season you guys are no where to be found! if the clowns ever want to make the playoffs they need to leave that hell hole cleveland, just ask the ravens how that turned out.. thats why lebron left and thats why the indians always trade away the all stars because even the cleveland teams know they will lose!!!

18. joemontanawasthegreatest says: Sep 9, 2013 1:25 PM

Weeden is a tough guy and all but he needs a totally clean pocket to get anything done aside of piling yards up in garbage time.

The difference between Tannehill and Weeden were evident when they were playing side by side.

19. pooflingingmonkey says: Sep 9, 2013 1:28 PM

If the NFL ever decides to reduce the number of teams, they’ll know where to start.

20. skinsfanwill says: Sep 9, 2013 1:49 PM

Wait until their most explosive offensive weapon (Gordon) returns in 2 weeks. They will be okay. Not a great team yet, but a team that will compete. Too bad Norv will never run the ball enough to have an effective offense. He is RB killer.

21. nananatman says: Sep 9, 2013 2:23 PM

Browns will win this Division.

22. 80sbroncofan says: Sep 9, 2013 4:32 PM

Just think Browns fans. You could have had RG3 if your team didn’t try and low ball the Rams. Then you could have had Russel Wilson, Kirk Cousins or the qb that beat you last night (Ryan Tannehill). So you draft a 29 year old qb. Would have been cheaper to get Bernie Kosair to put the bottle down and come out of retirement to play quarterback for you.

23. kwjsb says: Sep 9, 2013 4:45 PM

Somebody had to catch something …….

24. kwjsb says: Sep 9, 2013 6:41 PM

@8osbroncofan
    They offered the same deal with 2 firsties that year, but Shanny and Fischer were close and that relationship swung the deal.

25. oldcracker says: Sep 12, 2013 3:32 AM

And, we passed on Julio Jones for what?