Report: Zach Sudfeld has hamstring injury

Zach-Sudfeld-Getty Getty Images

The Patriots have three tight ends on their roster. Only two — Zach Sudfeld and Michael Hoomanawanui — suited up for Sunday’s win at Buffalo, as Rob Gronkowski was sidelined with back and forearm injuries.

Now, with just three days until the Patriots’ next game, the club is apparently dealing with more unwanted news on the injury front at tight end.

According to Ben Volin of the Boston Globe, Sudfeld suffered a hamstring injury Sunday at Buffalo.

A rookie from Nevada, Sudfeld was targeted just once in 20 snaps in the season opener. What’s more, Hoomanawanui had just two passes thrown his way in 78 snaps, hauling in one reception for five yards.

It would seem unlikely the Patriots would go into Thursday’s game against the Jets with just one tight end, and the Pats do not have a tight end on the practice squad. The question now is how New England will proceed at the position for Week Two.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Report: Zach Sudfeld has hamstring injury”
  1. harrywarden15 says: Sep 9, 2013 3:33 PM

Sign Tebow back ;)

2. ccjcsr says: Sep 9, 2013 3:37 PM

Who needs a TE when you have the smurfs running around catching slants etc.

3. tedmurph says: Sep 9, 2013 3:39 PM

I think Fells and Ballard are still out there.

4. azarkhan says: Sep 9, 2013 3:44 PM

Now we just need to hear that Amendola is out because of groin pull. Time to give Deion Branch a call.

5. dlbpatsfan says: Sep 9, 2013 3:45 PM

I won’t even go into my ramble mode again. Whole damn offense is softer than…. I don’t even know.

6. ampats says: Sep 9, 2013 3:47 PM

I thought I heard that Ballard was going to sign somewhere. If not, get him back to Foxboro.

I wonder if Sudfeld pulled his hammy watching Brady’s pass bounce off him and into the Bills DB?

Rookies didn’t perform well in the 1st game but they will improve.Expect to see continued improvement during the season.

7. scrap7681 says: Sep 9, 2013 3:47 PM

Aaron Hernandez is still unsigned.

8. cliverush says: Sep 9, 2013 4:27 PM

Tim Tebow, the NFL is calling. This is your chance to play. The Pats had numerous players go through their camp at this position yet only an undrafted rookie made the team. Where the heck are the athletes coming out of college?

9. CKL says: Sep 9, 2013 5:56 PM

Fells, come on down. Heck I’d take Christian Fauria back…get that suit off and put that uni form back on, Christian. Sigh.

10. thebigtim2012 says: Sep 9, 2013 8:18 PM

I know he’s not s tight end but how screwed up is Brandon Lloyd that not only the pats don’t want him back but no other team wants to give him a shot? He was a serviceable receiver for us last year what gives?