Terrelle Pryor: I was awful against Colts

Oakland Raiders v Indianapolis Colts Getty Images

In the aftermath of the Colts’ 21-17 victory over the Raiders on Sunday, it wasn’t hard to find praise for Raiders quarterback Terrelle Pryor.

Pryor, in his second regular season start and fifth regular season game, accounted for 329 yards of total offense and, even with two interceptions and some other errors, was the biggest offensive reason why the Raiders held a lead in the fourth quarter. Colts quarterback Andrew Luck said Pryor was a “stud” after the game, but Pryor was less effusive in his self-assessment.

Pryor said he was “awful” against the Colts and explained why he felt that way.

“I could’ve helped win the game and didn’t,” Pryor said, via Scott Bair of CSNBayArea.com. “We had ‘em on the ropes and we didn’t knock them out. The record is all that matters to me. I don’t care what my numbers are. I just want to do well for the team, and I didn’t do well enough. What happened today was unacceptable, and that’s on me.”

Pryor wasn’t awful on Sunday by any measure, but no one’s going to ding him for responding to a loss on the road by saying that he needs to be better the next time he takes the field. He does and so do his teammates. That doesn’t change the fact that there was more good than bad for Pryor in Week One and that it looks like the Raiders have made the most dynamic choice available to them to lead their offense in the 2013 season.

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
59 Responses to “Terrelle Pryor: I was awful against Colts”
  1. pooflingingmonkey says: Sep 9, 2013 1:26 PM

He’s being too hard on himself. He has a bright future, unlike that of the team he regrettably has to play for.

2. ccjcsr says: Sep 9, 2013 1:28 PM

Awful at telegraphing your pass at the end!

3. ingraven says: Sep 9, 2013 1:29 PM

Hey, you played better than any recent Raiders QBs,and you actually gave this team hope. They’ve got PLENTY of talent, especially on offense. I look forward to seeing him continue to improve.

4. coltzfan166 says: Sep 9, 2013 1:30 PM

This kid is too hard on himself. I thought for a little while they really were going to pull off the win.

5. humb0lt says: Sep 9, 2013 1:31 PM

Pryor displayed some strong legs against the Colts. Unfortunately they can’t overcome his weak arm.

6. edelmanfanclub says: Sep 9, 2013 1:31 PM

Lets spin this into a positive, the Colts were a playoff team last year and making his first start, he held it close at 21-17. He posted 70.6 Rating which isn’t good but who was expecting anything over 60 from him? 65.5 % was higher than anyone thought. and he tacked on over 100 on the ground. This guy is the guy who lead Oakland to their wins this year. They aren’t going 0-16.

7. logicalvoicesays says: Sep 9, 2013 1:33 PM

#RGIIIWannabe

8. thepftpoet says: Sep 9, 2013 1:36 PM

If you were awful, what was Blaine Gabbert?…..

9. rundmc81 says: Sep 9, 2013 1:37 PM

Once the Raiders get the offensive line healthy and Pryor gets a little more experience they will be headed in the right direction. It would be awesome to not have to draft a QB next year. McFadden is going to need to step up if he wants that big contract and to remain with the team next year.

10. mrcosio says: Sep 9, 2013 1:37 PM

I know it’s only week one of the season but I truly believe Pryor has what it takes to get this team out of it’s losing ways, this dude HATES losing and I hope that mentality starts to rub off on the rest of the team.

11. mannyicey says: Sep 9, 2013 1:41 PM

Hey Raider fans:

I would like to introduce you to your quarterback. Terrelle Pryor is who you are going to run with this season.

12. raiderufan says: Sep 9, 2013 1:44 PM

Love his attitude…watch the whole interview and tell me his attitude isn’t exactly what you want from your QB on a team rebuilding. His reply to when he’d watch the tape was “as soon as I get on the plane.”

He want’s to correct his issues…he wants to do whatever it takes to support his teammates…and he wants the pressure and blame on his shoulders.

I’m proud to call Terrelle Pryor the QB of my favorite team.

13. nativeraider says: Sep 9, 2013 1:44 PM

Hes just being hard on himself because he cares, Cant fault ANY player for that. But he showed promise.

I cant believe people are so quick to write him off. Players like Tebow got a fair chance and Alex Smith got 5 years to prove hes average. Give this kid some time to develop, it was only his 2nd career start. QBs like P.Manning and Troy Aikman led their teams to poor records. People don’t develop QBs anymore…

14. motown81 says: Sep 9, 2013 1:45 PM

He kept them in the game for sure as well as their defensive pressure. At the end of the day he has to be able to sit in the pocket, read defenses, go through his progressions, and be accurate. I think the jury is out on that and eventually teams will force him to do that and limit the running all over the field. Time will tell.

15. johnnyjagfan says: Sep 9, 2013 1:45 PM

Glad he hates losing. He’s gonna shred my Jags next week.

16. r8dernation says: Sep 9, 2013 1:45 PM

“logicalvoicesays says:
    Sep 9, 2013 1:33 PM
    #RGIIIWannabe”
    _______________________
    Are you saying Pryor is fraile?

17. BigBeachBall says: Sep 9, 2013 1:46 PM

Chargers wins vs Oakland going back 10 years.

October 31, 2004 Oakland Raiders W 42–14
    September 14, 2009 at Oakland Raiders W 24–20
    November 1, 2009 Oakland Raiders W 24–16
    January 1, 2011 at Oakland Raiders W 38–26
    September 10, 2012 at Oakland Raiders W 22–14
    December 30, 2012 Oakland Raiders W 24–21

18. dt58 says: Sep 9, 2013 1:49 PM

As hard as it is to say for any Raider, I thought he looked pretty good, especially with the lack of game experience. A few bad plays but, all in all, I think his future looks bright. He needs a healthy line an some more talent around him though. As a Chiefs fan, I much rather see Flynn behind centre

19. schmitty2 says: Sep 9, 2013 1:50 PM

Pryor should take pride in knowing he accomplished more in 1 game then the previous qb who wore #2 did in his whole career.

20. maiphatdong says: Sep 9, 2013 1:51 PM

so this is what it has come down to,

21. raiderufan says: Sep 9, 2013 1:54 PM

Raiders V Chargers all time: 57-47-2 Raiders

Looks like you need another 5 or so years to catch up…to bad your team is racing towards the bottom of the barrel and the cream is rising right past your arrogant waste of a team.

22. tinbender2000 says: Sep 9, 2013 2:00 PM

logicalvoicesays says: Sep 9, 2013 1:33 PM

#RGIIIWannabe
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You have that backwards. Pryor only threw two picks.
    Withhout a pre season your little quarterback will be at least RGlll picks.

23. araidersfan says: Sep 9, 2013 2:01 PM

I’m still not sold on Pryor being an answer for us at QB but I have give the kid major kudos for taking responsibility and wanting to improve. It does show maturity and leadership qualities – a complete 360 from JaBustus. It makes me hope that I’m wrong about Pryor’s capabilities as a QB.

I think this is indicative of the change of philosophy in the org. that McKenzie has been looking to implement with the Silver & Black from his days with the Packers. The Raiders under Al were overpaid, lazy prima donas where it looks that with this team of no-names there is a work ethic and personal responsibility. Very refreshing.

24. dumdolt says: Sep 9, 2013 2:03 PM

Chargers Superbowl wins since their existence

25. dt58 says: Sep 9, 2013 2:06 PM

BigBeachBall says:
    Sep 9, 2013 1:46 PM
    Chargers wins vs Oakland going back 10 years.

October 31, 2004 Oakland Raiders W 42–14
    December 4, 2008 Oakland Raiders W 34–7
    September 14, 2009 at Oakland Raiders W 24–20
    November 1, 2009 Oakland Raiders W 24–16
    January 1, 2011 at Oakland Raiders W 38–26
    September 10, 2012 at Oakland Raiders W 22–14
    December 30, 2012 Oakland Raiders W 24–21

Keep living in the past dude…Chargers might be the worst team in the league. Ever since that genius that makes the desisions ran out Marty after going 14-2, that team has been on a steady decline

26. alligatorsnapper says: Sep 9, 2013 2:08 PM

Pryor is being hard on himself. I am glad he is. He can make corrections and become better. However, anyone who follows the Raiders knows these things: Pryor is the best QB to come along for the Raiders in some time. He performed better than certainly the most recent QBs. Opponents will have a very high frustration level trying to contain Pryor. He will learn to disguise his passes, look one direction and pass another, etc. He will learn, and when he learns…whew~!

27. raiderrob21 says: Sep 9, 2013 2:10 PM

My boys looked much better than anticipated. O line did outstanding considering moving 3rd string Kalif Barnes over from RT to start at LT and grabbing Pashos off the street last week to start at RT. Very encouraged by Pryors development in less than a year. Reggie and D Allen have this thing going in the right direction. With $60+ mill to spend next year WATCH OUT!!!

RAIDER NATION!!!!!

28. mc1439 says: Sep 9, 2013 2:11 PM

Sometimes I feel that way after I take a dump, but can still tell I’m not finished. It’s like I could have gone all the way but failed at the end.

29. dumdolt says: Sep 9, 2013 2:22 PM

@Beachball and Humdolt

I’ve never seen a fanbase so PROUD TO BE first place LOSERS.

Newsflash, only ONE team wins the superbowl every year and it WASN’T YOU– NEVER HAS and probably won’t ever be.

30. ctiggs says: Sep 9, 2013 2:25 PM

Go Buckeyes!!

31. drone501 says: Sep 9, 2013 2:25 PM

kids going to be great.

32. radrntn says: Sep 9, 2013 2:28 PM

I admire and respect TP for those comments, and when coach, and TP said there are no moral victories. With that said as Romo said TP shocked the NFL yesterday. Haters are going to hate regardless, but he was exciting to watch. The entire NFL wrote the raiders off before yesterdday. I am now looking forward to going to the game against the Jags…for the raiders, its one game at a time.

Props to the nfl leading rusher….keep your chin up, and keep learning from your mistakes. Props to an o-line that did a good job all thing considering. Props to the d for putting pressure on Luck, and getting 4 sacks. Props to the coaching staff who made halftime adjustments, and out coached the other team… What would of, could of should of, is a hell of a lot better then what i thought was going to be.

33. skinsfolife says: Sep 9, 2013 2:39 PM

Don’t worry Terrell the refs were awful too. Stole that W from you guys. It’s typical Andy luck bias. Luck is not all he is cracked up to be.

34. orivar says: Sep 9, 2013 2:40 PM

“Hey, you played better than any recent Raiders QBs,and you actually gave this team hope.”

Jason Campbell & Carson Palmer say differently.

35. therolandobottom says: Sep 9, 2013 2:42 PM

Chargers…lol. I have feeling tonight that Houston will show everyone that the Dolts and Jags will be fighting for the one they call Clowney.

36. zeddicuszorander says: Sep 9, 2013 2:42 PM

No matter how bad the chargers are…the Raiders are the record holders for pathetic losing seasons in a row.

Child on that dumdolt.

37. dumdolt says: Sep 9, 2013 2:49 PM

@zeddiscuszorander

Easy to forget your FORTY-freakin-SEVEN years of no rings when you can’t count that high.

Talk about pathetic

38. raidersaz20 says: Sep 9, 2013 2:51 PM

First time since Gannon we had any hope at QB!

39. dumdolt says: Sep 9, 2013 2:55 PM

@zeddiscuszorander

Sorry… wikipedia page about teams that haven’t won a superbowl wasn’t up to date…

it’s FIFTY-freakin-FOUR years of no rings for your PATHETIC team!

Lets crown you the losers of the half century! Be proud!!!

40. CKL says: Sep 9, 2013 2:57 PM

I’m a Pats fan but I’ve been rooting for this kid to do well. Love his attitude. He seemed poised too for such an inexperienced QB. I really liked that one play they keep showing on the highlights where he was scrambling all over the place but he kept his eyes downfield and made a nice throw. That’s tough for young QBs to do when they are athletic and inexperienced. They always want to trust their legs first.

41. adurden66 says: Sep 9, 2013 3:02 PM

Hey, I’ve been following TP during his college days and I can say this kid can flat out play. We all know he has fundamentals to work on. What I believe he needs to work on is his accuracy throwing the ball to his receivers. The receivers has to help him as well. The O line has to protect their QB better. Over all, if everyone stick to there assignments, then I’m sure it will be alright. TP has single handily gave the raiders something they haven’t had in a good while and that is hope. With the return of Charles Woodson over seeing the defense, especially the secondary, hope is on the uprising for the raiders.

Silver and Black for life!!

42. thatstinks says: Sep 9, 2013 3:05 PM

It was just so nice to see them competitive and playing with heart the loss didn’t bother me . I think after that TP chest bump was the first time I have ever seen Dennis Allen smile on the sidelines . Hopefully we can continue to gel & improve . Go Raiders !

43. zeddicuszorander says: Sep 9, 2013 3:18 PM

As terrible as the Chargers are….and man they’re awful….they still don’t come close to the ineptitude of the Oakland franchise.

Yeah….you won rings…..back when Reagan was in office…..but who lives that far in the past?

Raider fan…that’s who.

How many seasons of double digit losses?

Sorry….can’t count that high I guess.

Loser.

44. arrruserious says: Sep 9, 2013 3:21 PM

BigBeachBall says:Sep 9, 2013 1:46 PM

Chargers wins vs Oakland going back 10 years.

October 31, 2004 Oakland Raiders W 42–14
    September 14, 2009 at Oakland Raiders W 24–20
    November 1, 2009 Oakland Raiders W 24–16
    January 1, 2011 at Oakland Raiders W 38–26
    September 10, 2012 at Oakland Raiders W 22–14
    December 30, 2012 Oakland Raiders W 24–21
    ———————————————————-

I hope you hang that record up right next to all the Lombardi trophies……oh wait..nevermind

45. bwisnasky says: Sep 9, 2013 3:21 PM

What actually would be nice is if Evan Silva or Michael Silver or any other of the mediots that were laughing at the Raiders decision to start Pryor to admit “Hey, we might be wrong about this kid”, but I don’t expect that… they’ll just move on to some other random guy they can bash and not even mention that they could possibly not know everything about football, but they are very good at parroting what they hear…

46. mikes112291 says: Sep 9, 2013 3:34 PM

He just wants sympathy and praise

47. stoogy says: Sep 9, 2013 3:47 PM

Pryor was better then most expected so I am pumped about that made those too INTs, that did cost the game the first one was worse then the second. What I am extremely excited about is how the Defense played after half time they really got after luck to bad they couldn’t of help them at the end.

48. dumbolt says: Sep 9, 2013 4:05 PM

zeddicuszorander says:
    Sep 9, 2013 3:18 PM
    As terrible as the Chargers are….and man they’re awful….

How many seasons of double digit losses?

Sorry….can’t count that high I guess.
    – – – – – – — – – – – – – — – – – – — – –

Here, we understand, and are willing to help you learn to count -Chargers were

1962- 4-10
    1973 2-11
    1975 2-12
    1983 6-10
    1986 4-12
    1988 6-10
    1989 6-10
    1990 6-10
    1991 4-12
    1997 4-12
    1998 5-11
    2000 1- 15 ouch
    2003 – 4-12

49. johnstone17 says: Sep 9, 2013 4:10 PM

I like how he is taking responsibility. I love what he brings to the table. Leave him to learn on the job & this kid will be very good.

50. nflofficeadmin says: Sep 9, 2013 4:11 PM

I’ve been supporting TP2 being given his chance and I’m glad to see that it’s happening and he is taking advantage of it. The kid is just as gifted as Cam Newton, just faster and more athletic.. If you doubt his arm strength, you haven’t watched him play. Think Cam Newton with Rob Griffin speed. (His 40 time is well documented.)

51. justwinbaby29 says: Sep 9, 2013 4:29 PM

I like Pryor. The kid has the chance to be a solid NFL QB if he can improve on a few things. At least he is exciting and gives the Raiders some hope.

52. titansbro says: Sep 9, 2013 4:32 PM

Looks like VY did his rookie season except he can throw a little better.

53. sonnyjz says: Sep 9, 2013 6:44 PM

Redskins fan here. I’m sorry but that dude is always running for his life. As mentioned by Luck, this dude is a stud. While he has a lot to learn, it is very easy to see that this kid has a really bright future. I was one of those fans that believed he was too immature, didn’t seem to care and really had no makings of an NFL QB when he was drafted. You can tell that Pryor has really worked hard on his game, and I’ve been extremely impressed with him this year. I hope they are able to find consistency with their blocking scheme so that he is able to flourish. Bright days ahead for Raiders fans.

54. raidernation37 says: Sep 9, 2013 7:33 PM

Anyone who questions Pryors arm strength, he has plenty. After watching him play my Michigan Wolverines for four years, trust me, he can make the throws. Glad I can finally root for this kid cuz he’s one heck of an athlete. For the first time in quite a while I’m looking forward to Sunday

55. sidneyz says: Sep 9, 2013 8:13 PM

Once Pryor gels with his receivers and backs out of the backfield the Raiders will have a High Octane offense that will blow slow teams away!

56. raiderapologist says: Sep 9, 2013 9:23 PM

Pryor has happy feet, and didn’t get past his first read very often. His arm isn’t great, but it’s not Andy Dalton bad. His loopy delivery and late throws are his bigger problems.

57. 420fan says: Sep 9, 2013 9:54 PM

to all you charger fans that can’t stay out of Raider Nation, how about this. Even AFTER 10 Horrible years, the Raiders STILL have the 6th highest winning % in the history of the NFL!

6. Oakland Raiders: 424-347-11 (.550)
    13. Denver Broncos: 403-369-10 (.522)
    15. Kansas City Chiefs: 399-371-12 (.518)
    19. San Diego Chargers: 388-383-11 (.503)

And we have a trophy case, Get off our nuts, or go HOME!!!

58. mythaimyke says: Sep 10, 2013 1:21 AM

I agree completely with Pryor, he was AWFUL!!! After how many years on the team and he plays like that! There is no future with a running back playing QB! Go back to college, where you can play that crap! Pryor will never be a NFL QB! Period!!!!! No matter how many years he practices!!

59. thelastpieceofcheese says: Sep 10, 2013 7:01 AM

Terrelle Pryor is another qb that outed Mark Flynn as the greatest qb fraud ever!