Fitzgerald “absolutely loves” Tyrann Mathieu

Fitz Getty Images

Cardinals rookie defensive back Tyrann Mathieu made a quick impact in his first NFL game, forcing Rams tight end Jared Cook to fumble when he was otherwise on his way to the end zone.

Mathieu has also made an impact on one of the best receivers in the NFL.

“I absolutely love the kid,” Larry Fitzgerald said of Mathieu on Tuesday’s PFT Live.  “I love him.  I mean he works his tail off every single day in practice, he comes to work, he studies plays so hard.  He’s a tremendous kid in our locker room too.  I mean he’s on time, he’s punctual, taking notes in meetings, just everything that you would expect out of a player of his caliber.  Him and Patick Peterson together it’s just really exciting.  I’m so happy he’s on our team.”

Mathieu slid to round three of the 2013 draft after issues with marijuana resulted in an early exit from LSU.  But Mathieu has been clean since entering the NFL, agreeing to permit the team to drug test him and hinging future money on his ability to choose football over drugs.

For the rest of the interview, including Fitzgerald’s reaction to being reminded that he recently turned 30, click the thing below.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Fitzgerald “absolutely loves” Tyrann Mathieu”
  1. coconutbangersball22 says: Sep 10, 2013 11:24 PM

In the top pic, it looks like they are about to hold hands and take off down field.

2. bennyb82 says: Sep 10, 2013 11:30 PM

If only he had been a heavy drinker in college he would be making more money now…

3. thesmartest1 says: Sep 10, 2013 11:34 PM

Good stuff. The honey badger is pretty good.

4. delusionalcardsfan says: Sep 10, 2013 11:49 PM

I was disappointed by the loss but I’m excited for what is being out together here in the desert! GO CARDS!

5. peopletrains says: Sep 10, 2013 11:58 PM

Since Warner left, we were all robbed of plenty of Larry Fitzgerald moments. I’m glad Arizona has a guy who can get him the ball.

6. aaroncurryisbust says: Sep 11, 2013 12:00 AM

I’m a Seahawks fan but I’m really glad he’s turned his life around and taking his future seriously. Can’t wait to see how he does against Seattle.

7. aaroncurryisbust says: Sep 11, 2013 12:00 AM

8. rjkilla says: Sep 11, 2013 12:09 AM

panthers should have grabbed this guy. our secondary is awful but richardson would rather have choir boys than football players

9. allidoiswin55 says: Sep 11, 2013 12:17 AM

He could be a steal especially after being at safety, his coverage skills are poor but he’s a bawl hawk and baller my. He fits in perfectly in the nfcw with the defensive monsters they possess. I’m certain the seahawks would have drafted this guy if he’s slid to them.

10. mikejonesforum says: Sep 11, 2013 12:22 AM

These two should go out for milkshakes.

11. arrogantnation says: Sep 11, 2013 12:47 AM

Steal. Cards got some playmakers no doubt about that.

12. whiskeydirk says: Sep 11, 2013 12:48 AM

“My name is Chris Kluwe, and I approve this message.”

13. green41563 says: Sep 11, 2013 12:58 AM

Fitzgerald seems like a great guy.

14. skinsfan91 says: Sep 11, 2013 1:11 AM

I really wanted the Redskins to take him. But he’d probably be a knuckle head in DC without Pat Peterson.

15. bonecrushinghits says: Sep 11, 2013 1:14 AM

Cardinals got a steal. Kid is a beast and one of the most exciting rookies in the league.

16. kuranda84 says: Sep 11, 2013 1:52 AM

I hope Tyrann respects him and looks to him for leadership. Fitz is a model citizen on and off the field and a true class act. The Cards have a couple good leaders there in AZ.

17. firerogergoodell says: Sep 11, 2013 2:05 AM

So the Honey Badger and Vontaze Burfict both end up successful, upstanding members of the NFL? I think a lot of people on here have some crow to eat… Butchered the kids before they ever had the chance to grow up. Good for them! Hope they keep their noses clean.

18. MostlyRight says: Sep 11, 2013 2:08 AM

Fitz is loving Carson Palmer too after what he’s dealt with at QB since Warner retired.

19. lofty35 says: Sep 11, 2013 2:11 AM

This should be a big boost of confidence for him. Getting praise from a veteran/team leader/one of the best WR in the league.

20. maxkingpin says: Sep 11, 2013 2:34 AM

LF said: “I mean he works his tail off every single day in practice, he comes to work, he studies plays so hard. He’s a tremendous kid in our locker room too. I mean he’s on time, he’s punctual, taking notes in meetings, just everything that you would expect out of a player of his caliber.”
    Sounds to me like the typical NFL player, not an exceptional one.
    Being “on time” and “punctual” have the same meaning.
    Unless LF is telling the world that most of his other teammates are not punctual, don’t work hard etc, then I find this to be high praise for what amounts to standard behavior, not above & beyond behavior.

21. sportymorty22 says: Sep 11, 2013 3:02 AM

I’m glad Tyrann is comfortable in Arizona, the fact that he was suspended for an entire year in college was ridiculous. He was only hurting himself by his actions. Fortunately he has been able to turn his life around and is still the same great football talent we all remember from his LSU days.

22. jagwires says: Sep 11, 2013 5:58 AM

23. vegaskid21 says: Sep 11, 2013 6:50 AM

It’s nice to hear the kid is doing well, but don’t worry Larry, he’ll get arrested for drugs soon

24. ddogdaddy says: Sep 11, 2013 7:47 AM

Watched his highlites and was very impressed. He absolutely reminds me of Bob Sanders. A guy of smaller stature that plays very big. I hope he stays on the right path as he could be very marketable and make himself a boatload of cash.

25. jimmyt says: Sep 11, 2013 8:01 AM

Must be his pretty hair.

26. stew48 says: Sep 11, 2013 8:14 AM

jagwires: I don’t care how much marijuana you smoke, but stick to facts. It is a drug, no matter your rationalization.

27. ShimSham says: Sep 11, 2013 8:48 AM

jagwires says: “You meant to say choose football over plants. Alcohol is a drug, not weed. No one cares if I smoke a handful of sunflowers. Marijuana shouldn’t be any different.”
    ————————————————————-
    Someone doesn’t know where alcohol comes from.

28. zerodime says: Sep 11, 2013 9:27 AM

As a Browns fan it is almost painful to watch this kid. He was staring us in the face in the draft and we desperately need a CB. What do the Browns do, 1 pick before he goes? Draft a different CB who so far sucks.

Way to go Brownies!

29. tonyugoh says: Sep 11, 2013 10:04 AM

If he loves him so much then why doesn’t he marry him?

30. liltifer says: Sep 11, 2013 10:05 AM

I’m no GM, but if I was, I would have definitely taken a chance on the kid.

An absolute playmaker in college and he comes in and makes a huge play in his first game at the pro level (well, we know college players are pros too, but when we find out they’ve been getting paid, it’s frowned upon).

31. MostlyRight says: Sep 11, 2013 10:54 AM

Before the draft i felt like this guy could have gone to the Cardinals with role models Fitz and most importantly Patrick Peterson and succeeded, or gone to 31 other teams and busted. He landed in the right spot.

32. thirdistheworrd says: Sep 11, 2013 10:57 AM

peopletrains says: Sep 10, 2013 11:58 PM

_____________
    More importantly, you got a guy/badger who can get the ball for the “guy who can get him the ball”. Not a Cards fan by any means, but this team is straight-up exciting. All they need is a running back who doesn’t hate America/doesn’t suck.

Carson’s still got it, but he’s not going to be around very much longer. Luckily he still has enough o the tank to hold down the fort for a while, and enough football experience to tutor a whole boatload of young QB’s. If I’m Arizona, I’m grabbing a rookie from 2014′s pretty well-stocked class and letting him hold the clipboard for a couple years until Carson rides off into the sunset. This has. unfortunately, become something young QB’s have been able to do less and less over the years, but AZ has the perfect situation for it.

This is a team that’s building something, and as long as St. Louis keeps up the pace, this is going to be one heck of a division in a few years.

33. dstep24 says: Sep 11, 2013 11:25 AM

If I were Larry, I’d be like “Nice guy, but needs to continue working hard and not let up. Keep being on time, punctual, prepared, etc.”.

34. richndc says: Sep 11, 2013 11:31 AM

You should have printed the complete statement: ” love the kid…I am so happy he is on our team, because he tosses one mean salad, you know, back there….” ugh, gross!!!

35. vicnocal says: Sep 11, 2013 12:54 PM

I’m more of a Tyrion Lannister guy.

36. uscoach says: Sep 11, 2013 1:52 PM

The only real reason he had a bad rep was because he was puffing herb. What a shame.

37. clebrowns216 says: Sep 11, 2013 1:58 PM

Best pick of the draft IMO. The Cards got a top 10 talent in the 3rd round.

Every team in the NFL will kick themselves for letting this kid pass them by. I was screaming for the Browns to grab him in the 3rd, and of course he got grabbed on the very next pick by the Cards.

This kid could end up being the best overall player of this draft and he went in the 3rd round.

And I bet he doesnt have any trouble with weed, considering what hes been through. What he did in college was idiotic but if you love smoking weed its a lot easier to quit when your not in college, where its everywhere.

Cant wait to watch this kid play