League told RG3 to cover up his knee brace

Washington Redskins' Griffin III and Morris try to recover a fumble against Philadelphia Eagles during their NFL football game in Landover Reuters

If an unauthorized T-shirt is worth $10,000, it’s hard to know what revealing a little medical equipment might have cost Robert Griffin III last night.

The Redskins quarterback said he was asked to cover up the brace that was supporting his surgically repaired right knee, and that the request came from the league.

Everybody in the league kept calling down to our sideline saying I needed to cover the brace up,” Griffin said, via Mark Maske of the Washington Post. “I don’t understand that one. But that’s why we had to continue to do some stuff to cover the brace up with my sock. It was the same brace. It just looked bigger because they kept putting stuff over it.”

The league has a uniform inspector at each game, the guy who’s responsible for $5,000 sock fines and the like. That’s the same department that hit Griffin with a $10,000 bill for his “Operation Patience” shirt during the preseason, when he was on the field warming up in non-licensed gear.

“Man, I don’t know what the league’s doing,” Griffin said. “I got fined 10 grand for a shirt. I mean, I don’t know.”

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
64 Responses to “League told RG3 to cover up his knee brace”
  1. dexterismyhero says: Sep 10, 2013 8:30 AM

Was it a $5 foot long brace?

2. tannethrill says: Sep 10, 2013 8:35 AM

Simple, if you can wear that shirt then what’s stopping someone from putting a paid advertisement on it.

3. dcee101 says: Sep 10, 2013 8:37 AM

The league should enforce the duct tape dress code rule. Every time the league considers these ridiculous fines and measures they should apply duct tape to their mouths.

4. pg99bassist says: Sep 10, 2013 8:39 AM

Ok… this just doesn’t make sense. It’s like a tinted visor or JJ Watts arm brace. If he had approved medical clearance to wear them… was there a caveat to it? “You can wear it… so long as we can’t see it.” All the fashion police Gestapo crap aside… rules are rules. I get the fines. But to fine a guy wearing medical protection when you don’t fine other guys like Watt… just ridiculous.

5. cojetsfan says: Sep 10, 2013 8:41 AM

That is ridiculous!! Then again, next we will be hearing that the covering limited his mobility!!

6. dlr4skins says: Sep 10, 2013 8:45 AM

The way the offense played, I think they should cover their logo.

7. kane337 says: Sep 10, 2013 8:45 AM

RGIII seemed like a smart guy when he came into the league. As time goes on…not so much.

8. n0hopeleft says: Sep 10, 2013 8:45 AM

He should cover his mouth as well until they win a game. This guy was fraudulent last night.

Missing open receivers, blaming his RB for his terrible toss, throwing to the other team, and being a flat out DIVA when the cameras were on him.

Redskins fans – the league has figured you out.

Welcome back to planet Earth.

9. hines86for6 says: Sep 10, 2013 8:46 AM

the league has hall monitors on the sidelines?

10. logicalvoicesays says: Sep 10, 2013 8:46 AM

We beat ourselves last night with our mental gaps. But it’s a 16 game season. The Superbowl is handed out in February, not September. If anyone knows (or should know) that better, it’s the ringless Philadelphia Eagles. The Burgundy and Gold will be fine as you saw they never gave up at any point. We never say die and press on, fine-tuning our errors. The Packers are in deep, deep trouble next game. #RomewasntbuiltinaDay

11. steelerdynasty2010 says: Sep 10, 2013 8:51 AM

“The league is protective over its image to a manic fault”

so they’d rather be perceived as an over-protective, reactionary, softened league governed by paranoid control freaks?

certainly preferable to being a league full of unlicensed T-shirt, colorful shoe, haphazard sock wearing collection of grown men playing a sport for entertainment.

12. koolaidcircusbeast says: Sep 10, 2013 8:53 AM

Yet, the NFL doesn’t make Rex Ryan were a bra?

13. sf49ers4 says: Sep 10, 2013 8:59 AM

You always see linemen with their braces showing…

14. floratiotime says: Sep 10, 2013 8:59 AM

Weird. Sometimes the NFL makes no sense.

15. bmoreravens1012013 says: Sep 10, 2013 9:01 AM

As manic as it is, its still absolutely ridiculous. They need to lighten up, but we all know that’s not happening but the day will come when football isn’t king , therefore not have the licence to be so damn arrogant.

16. thelaine says: Sep 10, 2013 9:05 AM

Ewww, you said the “R” word. You should go on record opposing the Team Name That Shall Not Be Spoken so future generations will know that you were ahead of your time in fighting this horror.

17. richiebburg says: Sep 10, 2013 9:05 AM

I agree the No Fun League has some right to make sure players wear only Nike stuff on field because Nike has that deal but the sock stuff and this is ridculous. Its a knee brace. Medically necessary. RG3 should sue!

18. igglesrule says: Sep 10, 2013 9:06 AM

Must have been an Adidas brace?

19. skinsfolife says: Sep 10, 2013 9:09 AM

With this guy it is always me me me, look at me. He isn’t going to last long. Teams don’t need me guys. They need WE guys. He had no business being on the field and I blame that loss on the fact that he clearly isn’t 100%. Sit down and shut up Robert.

20. 80sbroncofan says: Sep 10, 2013 9:09 AM

I don’t understand that either. Ray Lewis wasn’t told to cover his arm brace during the playoffs last year. I guess the league thought Robert was promoting knee braces last night. Should have just stuck the nfl logo on it and I bet it would have been ok.

21. koufaxmitzvah says: Sep 10, 2013 9:10 AM

“The league is protective over its image to a manic fault, and they’re not going to make exceptions for anyone.”

And, yet, the league runs with a racial slur as a team name for, oh, 80 some-odd years.

The NFL is run like a joke.

22. ridingwithnohandlebars says: Sep 10, 2013 9:11 AM

I like watching RG3 play because he is an exciting player. I know that the fans in Washington love and adore him, but he needs to understand that in the NFL, the league does not like having players who are big superstars and will make sure that he understand that he is not special and continue to remind him until he gets the message.

23. overratedsteelerhater says: Sep 10, 2013 9:12 AM

they neede to cover up more then the brace,should have put a tent over that 1st half circus.logicalvoice is the ring master…

24. cuda1234 says: Sep 10, 2013 9:13 AM

Is it my imagination or does this guy complain about everything? They already changed the rules for him once (to allow the III on the back of his jersey). Who does he think he is – Tim Tebow?

25. sweetnlow44 says: Sep 10, 2013 9:17 AM

If this is true, why don’t lineman have to cover their braces? Something seems amiss here…

26. southernpatriots says: Sep 10, 2013 9:20 AM

Rookies have to learn the manic obsession the NFL has with image. Especially uniform compliance. The uniform inspector at each game is like a bureaucrat who justifies his position by finding nitpicky little things and hands out fines. The fines should more than pay for the inspector’s salary, so it all works out for the NFL.

No tolerance policy. The veterans all know this and usually do not have a problem, unless they just want one.

27. thefirstsmilergrogan says: Sep 10, 2013 9:22 AM

one of two reasons: either a player safety issue in the uncovered brace, or there was an unauthorized commercial name being shown on the brace.

28. akismet-75b0688a3b26a98b21428bf3bc7f7506 says: Sep 10, 2013 9:22 AM

This is what happens when progressives begin taking over everything.. Pretty soon they will be regulating everyone’s diet to ensure that your fat content is under federal mandated control.

29. 315judman says: Sep 10, 2013 9:23 AM

Was it an “Addidas” knee brace?

Is Tom Brady’s “Under Armour” glove approved? Because that logo is clearly visible, and certainly not a swoosh…

30. vdogg says: Sep 10, 2013 9:29 AM

Guess what Bob Griffin, you’re not bigger than the league.

31. wvuandsteelers says: Sep 10, 2013 9:32 AM

I’m really starting to hate the NFL. Unfortunately, my only other football option is the corrupt NCAA.

32. S.Nevada says: Sep 10, 2013 9:39 AM

So…instead of getting to focus on the game and game plan to get his team back in it, he had to worry about his brace? Seriously? Was John Mara the guy on the other line?

33. hendawg21 says: Sep 10, 2013 9:40 AM

The league has a problem I mean seriously a brace??? I’m surprised they didn’t request Cofield to cover up his cast and change the color…

This uniform thing is getting a little out of hand, I mean I can understand Nike is the official uni’s but to go as far saying cover up a brace???

34. All-American Voltron says: Sep 10, 2013 9:41 AM

He was still wearing a knee brace? Can we stop saying RG3 is the “the same thing” as Adrian Peterson now? Not even close …

35. jimmyt says: Sep 10, 2013 9:43 AM

And cover that ugly mug while you are at it.

36. wbkev24 says: Sep 10, 2013 9:45 AM

i wonder where all the money for fines go….

37. harrisonhits2 says: Sep 10, 2013 9:56 AM

We do. The league is protective over its image to a manic fault
    __________________

No. They’re protective of their marketing revenue to a manic fault.

And that’s funny they were on RGIII like that because I’ve seen several arm braces quite visible so far this season. And I remember leg braces being visible at times in the past.

38. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Sep 10, 2013 9:56 AM

The League just cares soooo much for safety. The Goodell NFL adds another blemish to its already overloaded portfolio of stains.

39. greymares says: Sep 10, 2013 9:58 AM

Braces and artificial devices must be covered and sometimes padded for the safety of the other players on the field. the alternative if you can’t follow the instructions don’t play.

40. dippiscott says: Sep 10, 2013 9:59 AM

So his knee brace had to be covered up, but Barry Cofield was allowed to wear a cast on his right hand that was roughly the size of a bowling pin? Good job, NFL…

41. njgiants says: Sep 10, 2013 10:02 AM

I thought I’ve seen other players wearing visible braces?

42. Jeff Tuttle says: Sep 10, 2013 10:12 AM

That’s a bit ridiculous! I guess I understand the T-Shirt, but what does the knee brace matter??

43. jimr10 says: Sep 10, 2013 10:19 AM

The NFL at times just does not make sense.

44. brutusbigpaws says: Sep 10, 2013 10:31 AM

Does the league have an “endorsed” medical device supplier? I can see covering it for safety reasons, but why single RG3 out?

45. bigbluenationdb says: Sep 10, 2013 10:34 AM

Who cares! RG3 is a fraud. Without the “read option” in the play book he is nothing more then an average NFL QB.

Also, how many NFL QBs in league history drop to their knees, pound the ground then run the length of the field with a team flag and then drop to his knees and pray.

C’mon man! And people outside of Washington wonder why fans dislike this guy. DIVA

46. thefootballgodssay says: Sep 10, 2013 10:47 AM

anyone with FOOTBALL KNOWLEDGE knew the redskins were weak

47. southernpatriots says: Sep 10, 2013 10:52 AM

Fans may have some ideas. I offer:

1. To pay the salary of the uniform inspector
    2. To pay for GODells “libations”
    3. ?

48. stabbymike says: Sep 10, 2013 10:56 AM

It is illegal for him to wear a medically nexessary knee brace?! come on. Griffins a diva, but the nfl is a bigger one.

49. 2jivecrew says: Sep 10, 2013 11:17 AM

“We do. The league is protective over its image to a manic fault, and they’re not going to make exceptions for anyone.”

Yeah because RGIII was really hurting the league’s image because his knee brace was showing. The league won’t stop shouting from the rooftops that they supposedly care about player safety, but doesn’t want us to know that these guys wear equipment to ensure that safety. Reason #563 why the NFL League Office is a complete and utter joke today.

50. albanyjints says: Sep 10, 2013 12:02 PM

Can the League cut down on this egomaniac’s press conferences?

51. granadafan says: Sep 10, 2013 12:21 PM

The NFL and the uniform police are starting to remind of the religious police in Iran and Afghanistan who beat up and fine people for not wearing “appropriate” clothing like burqas/hijab for women.

52. kacapaco says: Sep 10, 2013 12:35 PM

RG III was great as rookie QB and i liked him. But he has to cut this self-centered dramas he creating out of nothing. If your employeer (NFL) has dress code u respect that. I am just grtting tired of him.

53. allthewaylive1 says: Sep 10, 2013 1:32 PM

I don’t want religion mixed up with my football! After last night I could turn on RGIII quick…

54. multiplemiggs says: Sep 10, 2013 2:14 PM

protective over its image? A young man with the biggest heart I seen in years trying his hardest to rehab his injury so he can lead his team to a super bowl, makes a shirt to assure his fans hes trying his hardest and will be ok. Yea NFL, thats a real BAD image let me tell you.

55. stoicpaisano says: Sep 10, 2013 2:49 PM

“The league is protective over its image to a manic fault”

The NFL and Nike have 1.1 billion reasons to be protective over the Swoosh and have the three stripes eradicated ASAP.

With regards to the knee brace, I’m not sure if it was an unauthorized brand or a safety issue. Every locker room has a poster showing the proper way to wear a uniform, so ignorance is no excuse.

Either way, Griffin whinging about it to the media despite already having two incidents makes it hard to give him the benefit of the doubt.

RGIII, adidas is gonna pay you the same even if you grow up and decide to follow the NFL’s dress code rules. You aren’t Michael Jordan with the Air Jordan 1s, so just be a team player.

56. anon5121 says: Sep 10, 2013 3:18 PM

I understand Washington loves RG3 right now, but he’s not a crossover superstar. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning-these guys are superstars. RG3 seems entitled to superstar treatment, but, ironically, those QBs I mentioned never had these issues with the NFL. Kid needs to mature.

57. doe22us says: Sep 10, 2013 3:50 PM

anon5121 says:
    Sep 10, 2013 3:18 PM

And who made you the overseer of what is mature and not. I think he is a good kid, young and dynamic and a good QB. He will get to that great status with time. I doubt if you have ever come back from a torn acl or the like neither have I, so give the kid a chance and come down from your throne.

58. sillec28 says: Sep 10, 2013 3:58 PM

If the NFL didn’t think the brace looked good what did they say about how the Redskins were playing? That was enough to make anyone sick.

59. thefirstsmilergrogan says: Sep 10, 2013 4:32 PM

logicalvoicesays says: Sep 10, 2013 8:46 AM

contrast this with previous posts……

#captbackpedal

60. thefirstsmilergrogan says: Sep 10, 2013 4:36 PM

#captbackpedal: you sound like the nats fans in may or june….

look out packers, the big bad burgundy and gold are coming after you….on a short week after a home loss and a chastening of the hyperbolic fanbase still reveling in the glory of joe gibbs and john riggins.

61. trollaikman8 says: Sep 10, 2013 5:24 PM

He came out waving that Redface flag like it was high school home coming.

Take it easy bob.

62. thirdistheworrd says: Sep 10, 2013 6:26 PM

n0hopeleft says:
    Sep 10, 2013 8:45 AM

______________

Spot on, I mean just look at his remarks after the game–(word for word transcript)

Reporter: “Robert you were a little off in the first three quarters, do you think it could have been rust from not playing in the preseason?”

Griff: “No, I think that’s an excuse, I’m responsible for the way I play, and I played very poorly in the first three quarters, that’s way it is. I’m not going to sit here and say it was rust, I’ve gotta be accountable, and I’m got to hold myself accountable for that.”

Reporter: “Do you think you would have been more comfortable if you had played in any preseason games?”

Griff: “No, I don’t think so. Once again, I think that’s another excuse. I felt comfortable, but I just didn’t play well tonight; the whole team– we just didn’t click, and we know that, there’s no finger pointing going on in the locker room, we just have to work hard and get ready for next week.”

What an unbelievable a$$hole, how can you not hate a guy like that?
    (And just so we’re clear, how can you not hate how hard it is to convey sarcasm on the internet?)

63. rickc402 says: Sep 11, 2013 2:00 AM

@thirdistheworrd, dude what plant are you on man? Heis saying that its his fault for how poorly he played. Every player on that offense, less, Garçon and Hankerson deserve the blame for the worst 30 minutes of Redskins football I’ve ever witnessed. Rg3 through interceptions, Morris fumbled and the Offensive Line got a holding penalty every time a run went over ten yards….did you watch the game?

64. thirdistheworrd says: Sep 11, 2013 11:39 AM

rickc402- Earth/ not opium, depending n your question– because I was making a different point, I was addressing this idea of him being a diva who throws teammates under the bus. He knows the team played poorly, he knows he played atrociously, I’m just pointing out that he’s not a guy who makes excuses or blames teammates for losses.