NFL suspends a pair of veteran free agents

Tommy Zbikowski vs  Richard Bryant Getty Images

A couple of veteran players currently are out of work, and they’re going to be out of work a little longer.

According to USA Today, the league has suspended free-agent safety Tom Zbikowski and free-agent cornerback Brandon McDonald.

Zbikowski (pictured) has been suspended four games for violating the league’s policy against performance-enhancing substances.  McDonald was suspended two games under the personal-conduct policy.

It’s unclear what McDonald did to violate the personal-conduct policy.  Three years ago, a Cleveland woman claimed McDonald assaulted her.  We can find via searching PFT or the web no other incidents or allegations involving McDonald.

The suspensions for both players will run while they are unemployed.

Zbikowski has played for the Ravens, Colts, and Bears; he also has spent time boxing.  McDonald has played for the Browns, Cardinals, Lions, and Buccaneers.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Baltimore Ravens, Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions, Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
13 Responses to “NFL suspends a pair of veteran free agents”
  1. patsbrat says: Sep 10, 2013 9:16 PM

Well, looks like Zbikowski is into the MMA / UFC thing now. I don’t think they care so much about PEDs.

2. fdugrad says: Sep 10, 2013 9:30 PM

How can someone not playing for any team in the NFL be suspended? From WHAT, exactly, are they suspended? Doesn’t one need to be a member of an organization, business, union etc. to actually BE suspended?! This rather defies common sense, doesn’t it? Can someone out in PFT-land explain this?

3. bangbangbilly says: Sep 10, 2013 9:45 PM

Wow outta work a little longer these idiots … How you gunna get fired on your day off?

4. thepftpoet says: Sep 10, 2013 9:48 PM

Well these substances obviously aren’t helping that much if they can’t even make an NFL roster….

5. 87hollywoodhorn says: Sep 10, 2013 10:09 PM

talk about kicking dem while dey down… iono who deez guys be!

6. mackcarrington says: Sep 10, 2013 11:21 PM

Since they aren’t receiving paychecks, this “suspension” doesn’t affect them financially at this point.
    Only if some team was considering putting them on a practice squad, or signing them off the street, would this matter.

7. beerinmybelly says: Sep 10, 2013 11:48 PM

Someone ought to suspend Zbikowski’s tattoo artist as well…

8. jlv3gem says: Sep 10, 2013 11:57 PM

Get real NFL. 65 plus percent of the league is dirty. They want to suspend these low profile scrubs to make it look like they’re fighting against PEDs.

Until I see a big name out there I’m not buying it.

9. playbookofeli says: Sep 11, 2013 6:36 AM

Dats beez crazy yo. Hope deys be able to find sum werk soon. Word

10. thebigtim2012 says: Sep 11, 2013 9:33 AM

I had high hopes for zibby coming out of Norte dame. I don’t think he was a bust but far from what I thought he would be

11. 12444uggg says: Sep 11, 2013 11:23 AM

The PED’s help guys who can barely cut it as much as the superstars.

12. brownspower says: Sep 11, 2013 3:14 PM

How ironic. I retired from my job 10 years ago but I just found out that my company is laying me off for two weeks at the end of this month. Luckily, my layoff will run while I’m retired.

13. dwoofer says: Sep 11, 2013 4:32 PM

They can both easily find employment in Seattle.