Report: NFL considering $100,000 fine for Suh

Minnesota Vikings v Detroit Lions Getty Images

While the NFL reportedly is unlikely to suspend Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh for diving at the knee of Vikings center John Sullivan well behind the ball after a turnover, the league office plans to get his attention.

Jay Glazer of FOX reports that the NFL is considering a $100,000 fine for Suh.

For Suh, the $100,000 fine hurts more than a two-game suspension would.  An offseason restructuring reduced his salary to $630,000, which dropped his game checks to $37,058.

Still, the only way to get Suh’s attention will be to sideline him.  If the NFL is serious about safety (and the NFL seems to be), deliberate and unnecessary hits can’t be tolerated — especially when delivered to the knee area.

Given the penalties the Saints received in 2012 for merely engaging in huffing and puffing, how does Suh not get suspended for blowing Sullivan’s house down?  Last night on NBCSN’s Pro Football Talk, Rodney Harrison said Suh should receive a four-game suspension.

While the league may be a little gun shy after last year’s failed effort to suspend safety Ed Reed for his latest illegal hit on a defenseless receiver, Suh’s actions should be presumed to carry an intent to injure — especially in light of his history.

Permalink 81 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
81 Responses to “Report: NFL considering $100,000 fine for Suh”
  1. wearethesteelers says: Sep 10, 2013 2:07 PM

2. touchdownroddywhite says: Sep 10, 2013 2:10 PM

But he can’t be fined more than a certain percentage of his salary right? So wouldn’t the $100k fine be reduced via appeal?

3. southernpatriots says: Sep 10, 2013 2:11 PM

$110K fine? Will that get his attention? Previous suspensions and fines did not change his behavior, so will this? I doubt it.

4. skinsfanwill says: Sep 10, 2013 2:11 PM

“Play to the whistle” is what every football player is taught. This guy is a dirtbag, but I don’t think he deserves to punished for this hit. I don’t think his intent was to injure, he just doesn’t know how the hell to block.

5. doe22us says: Sep 10, 2013 2:11 PM

He probably got the bulk of his salary as a signing bonus as part of the restructuring. 100k to him he probably is not worried about that, and that may not be a deterrent.

6. dlions18 says: Sep 10, 2013 2:12 PM

He can afford it. I just want him on the field come Sunday.

7. matt2calvin says: Sep 10, 2013 2:13 PM

Suh’s actions should be presumed to carry an intent to injure..

Seriously?

Now you are a mind reader?

Harrison has no credibility and has become an industry joke. What is $100K to Suh? A 30 second commercial taping. Ho hum.

The man is a BEAST and scares the pants off most men. I think that is very cool.

He is still a kid and will grow up soon enough – I hope…

8. swaggyy says: Sep 10, 2013 2:13 PM

Wow, Roger must want a new car. Pretty hefty for a low block. Let the boys play

9. bucrightoff says: Sep 10, 2013 2:13 PM

Yeah a one game suspension without pay is worth more money than a $100,000 fine. Nice try though.

10. hoops737 says: Sep 10, 2013 2:14 PM

Lesson learned I hope

11. swaggyy says: Sep 10, 2013 2:15 PM

Heywearethestealers….must be nice getting rings handed to you by the refs huh

12. bmoreravens1012013 says: Sep 10, 2013 2:15 PM

This dude could have ended a guy’s career on a move that was deemed unnecessary. He has a history. I said originally he should be suspended at least 2 games and fined 500k. To not suspend him is a joke. To fine him the equivalency of a happy meal(100k) is even more a joke. I’m starting to think the NFL doesn’t mind these career ending dirty moves unless their being sued. Your giving him a license to do this. smdh! #ridiculous#

13. getatmeplease says: Sep 10, 2013 2:16 PM

Let’s see here. A play that was legal until this season and is the first time it has ever been flagged as a personal foul and he gets a fine. I hope the late hits and helmet-to-helmet hits that result in more injuries are scrutinized this much too.

14. rasta028 says: Sep 10, 2013 2:16 PM

Suspend this fool at least 2 weeks to,I don’t want him trying to end RGIII’s career.

15. greg2geez says: Sep 10, 2013 2:17 PM

Presumed intent – there’s a slippery slope the NFLPA will love to take the league down.

16. izlez says: Sep 10, 2013 2:17 PM

So this story is that JAY GLAZER reports that SOURCES tell him the nfl is CONSIDERING fining him.

Cool story. How about you write something up when some news actually happens

17. broncobrewer says: Sep 10, 2013 2:18 PM

Stripe him of being a captain. How is he showing leadership by playing that way? I’m all for playing real football not the pansy league it’s turning into bit this guy is dirty.

18. 80sbroncofan says: Sep 10, 2013 2:19 PM

Why not just suspend him for 4 games? Doesn’t that equal out to about $100,000

19. bjbroderick says: Sep 10, 2013 2:21 PM

@wearethesteelers

Not end of story.

You forgot to mention that the man that came up to you was wearing a Jake Locker jersey. A pimp slap from a ringless finger still hurts, right buddy?

20. captainwisdom8888 says: Sep 10, 2013 2:21 PM

What is going on in this guy’s head on Sundays? He is so pathetically prone to cheap, dirty, violent, impulsive behavior and after being punished as many times as he has already in his very short career…one would think that he would be seeing the error of his ways by now.

I bet his parents are oh so very proud of their boy right now. He’s been labeled a dirty player, and has shown an incredible ability to NOT learn from his mistakes.

21. heyguru1969 says: Sep 10, 2013 2:22 PM

Steeler guy, the only ring you left on Sunday was a bathtub ring around Heinz Field. I don’t remember a pretender claiming to be a contender failing to show up for a home opener the way you guys just did.

22. bringbackkosar says: Sep 10, 2013 2:22 PM

The $ is irrelevant, a multi-gamesuspension would hurt the team and maybe then this turd will get the message

23. burnzy32 says: Sep 10, 2013 2:24 PM

“Play until the whistle blows”
    “Keep your head on a swivel”

Stuff you learn in pee wee football……this is ridiculous, nflpa had better get some control back.

24. 3yardsandacloud says: Sep 10, 2013 2:24 PM

1) This was a completely legal play 1 year ago
    2) No injury occurred
    3) He hit him in the thigh, not the knee. You keep saying the knee, but that isn’t accurate. Watch the video. It’s pretty clear.

You’re like a one-man crusade to show Suh is a bad dude. He did something that is a new ban. I want to see the first guy to lower his head running the ball get chastised by you for violating that new rule. Let’s hope its the convicted Felon Mike Vick. How does that get reported?

I love your site and your overall reporting, but the Suh stuff is really getting out of hand. Why don’t you follow up on the Calvin TD reversal compared to the Cruz TD that stood? I’d love to get your insight on that

25. bennyb82 says: Sep 10, 2013 2:24 PM

Every fine for plays that could injure a player should go into a fund for medical coverage when their careers are over. There has to be a way to write something like that off. Better yet, force a player to pay the fine directly to the other player involved.

26. therealbleedcoltsblue says: Sep 10, 2013 2:25 PM

‘Suh’s actions should be presumed to carry an intent to injure — especially in light of his history.’

Right.. because Suh has INJURED so many people during his playing career….

Whats this? He’s never injured ANYONE?

#don’tletfactsgetintheway

27. therealbleedcoltsblue says: Sep 10, 2013 2:26 PM

Today a man come up to me (in my Roethlisberger jersey) and said, “it must be nice to rape a couple chicks,” and I said, “you’re right it is nice. Maybe you will catch up one day, though I doubt it.” He laughed and nodded in agreement and we went our own ways. That’s it, that’s the end of the story.

#nomeansno

28. pj1983a says: Sep 10, 2013 2:26 PM

“While the league may be a little gun shy after last year’s failed effort to suspend safety Ed Reed for his latest illegal hit on a defenseless receiver…”

Ah yes… the NFLPA. Protecting players from injury by defending those who try to injury them.

29. simplesimon1 says: Sep 10, 2013 2:27 PM

Low block…unnecessary, yes. Over the top, not at all.

People need to settle down about every single little thing Suh does. I said it before and I’ll say it again. This was a guy making an unnecessary play in the heat of the moment. People do things like this every game. It’s only a big deal because it’s Suh.

Give him the fine and lets get on with the Arizona game.

30. macneil4025 says: Sep 10, 2013 2:28 PM

wearethesteelers says: Sep 10, 2013 2:07 PM

Have fun in Last place this year ya tool!

31. officialgame says: Sep 10, 2013 2:28 PM

This guy just won’t stop being a dirty, dirty player. Start suspending him games before he ends someones carreer and go from there.

32. thekiller678 says: Sep 10, 2013 2:29 PM

wearethesteelers says: Sep 10, 2013 2:07 PM

======================================
    This one was actually funny haha

33. weepingjebus says: Sep 10, 2013 2:30 PM

“Today a man come up to me (in my Roethlisberger jersey) and said, “it must be nice to have six rings,” and I said, “you’re right it is nice. Maybe you will catch up one day, though I doubt it.” He laughed and nodded in agreement and we went our own ways. That’s it, that’s the end of the story.”

The guards in your psych ward sure are friendly.

34. FlashPatterson says: Sep 10, 2013 2:31 PM

wearethesteelers says:
    Sep 10, 2013 2:07 PM

——————————————
    At least you have memories to keep you warm.. the future looks bleak for Rapelisburger and the Steelers.

35. larryboodry says: Sep 10, 2013 2:32 PM

Kitty fans can hiss at me all they want, but I’d ban his dirty a$$ for life. That’d get his attention, alright.

36. rkolenda says: Sep 10, 2013 2:33 PM

It was a bad penalty that hurt the Lions but to make a statement like “Suh’s actions should be presumed to carry an intent to injure — especially in light of his history” is wrong. The media is out of control as usual.

37. truths4all says: Sep 10, 2013 2:33 PM

Let’s get serious with this habitual bad boy.

Make the fine $250,000 to get his attentiion.
    Add a three game suspension to get the team’s attention.

If there is another infraction, make it a 8 game suspension and fine him his total contract. No player is bigger than the game, especially one who tries to cripple and end other players’ careers. Besides, if the NFL does not take serious action, then the injured players will file lawsuits against the NFL for not taking action to protect the integrity of the game.

If the NFL was so self-serious about BountyGate, then they should be equally serious about Suh’s CrippleGate.

38. simplesimon1 says: Sep 10, 2013 2:33 PM

rasta028:

“Suspend this fool at least 2 weeks to,I don’t want him trying to end RGIII’s career”

After watching last night, he doesn’t have to do a thing. Just sit back and let RGIII destroy his own career.

39. formyministy says: Sep 10, 2013 2:33 PM

40. thekiy says: Sep 10, 2013 2:34 PM

This block was about three inches too low on a player that was within five yards of the returner.

Any big hoopla about it is just media jerkoff time and an attempt to keep Clay Matthews attempt to injure off the front page.

41. texanfan53 says: Sep 10, 2013 2:34 PM

But…he had a locker room, players only meeting on just this.

PLAYERS ONLY!

42. flipadelphia says: Sep 10, 2013 2:34 PM

rasta028 says:
    Sep 10, 2013 2:16 PM
    ————————————————-

There you have it. Teams are scared to death to play against this d-line. It has nothing to do with Suh trying to hurt someone and more to do with your QB running around fresh off 2 acl tears.

Man up, he’s going to get hit this season.

43. jimmyt says: Sep 10, 2013 2:37 PM

Any Rams fans that were screaming to draft this goon over Bradford still thinking that way? If you are you need your head examined too.

44. larryboodry says: Sep 10, 2013 2:37 PM

@wearethesteelers:

My team has 9 rings. I like my story’s ending better.

45. Nofoolnodrool says: Sep 10, 2013 2:37 PM

swaggyy says:
    Sep 10, 2013 2:15 PM
    Heywearethestealers….must be nice getting rings handed to you by the refs huh

1 0 swaggyy you are wearing your envy Very well today. I am quite sure you would “take what was handed to you”, but you have to get to the game first. Sad that your still butt sore but it will heal just ask joeflaccomontana….right skippy?

46. thestrategyexpert says: Sep 10, 2013 2:38 PM

At $100k, Suh is probably wondering if the NFL would just negotiate a deal in advance for a future baker’s dozen.

47. northernwisc says: Sep 10, 2013 2:39 PM

For Suh, the $100,000 fine hurts more than a two-game suspension would.

——————————————

Which is it???

48. suhnami90 says: Sep 10, 2013 2:40 PM

I’m a lions fan and don’t condone Suh for his actions but this fine should do the trick. Ppl always go at him because of his past but never seen how much he matured this offseason… Contrary to popular belief he’d never have been made captain if he didn’t truly believe he himself was ready for the responsibility. It was one boneheaded play & tell me ppl, since that play was he flagged??? Didn’t think so.

49. wehavebush says: Sep 10, 2013 2:41 PM

Who cares it’s a tax writeoff anyways. As long he is on the field to do some more damage this week that’s all I care about.

50. matt491 says: Sep 10, 2013 2:41 PM

How does this situation compare in any way to the 2012 Saints’ penalties (your comments actually insinuate that Suh’s penalty should be worse)?

The Saints were found guilty (with proof) of offering players cash rewards for intentionally injuring other players. Their penalties were so severe because not only did they offer those rewards, they tried to cover it up when questioned about it.

Suh made a bonehead block that I’ve seen hundreds of times before (and as has been stated several times, the block would not even deemed illegal before this year). Plus, the guy he blocked has come out publically and said he didn’t think Suh was trying to purposely injure him.

It seems like a rather irrelevant comparison in order to try to justify that Suh should receive a stiffer penalty

51. simplesimon1 says: Sep 10, 2013 2:41 PM

@fortyministry

“so, this three hundred pound muscle-bound man has a “history” of “intent to injure”, yet he hasn’t injured anyone. can anyone explain this?”

I can easily enough. Exactly what I’ve been saying for a year now. People seem to forget that Suh hasn’t even been flagged prior to this, aside from an offside last year, for an offense since the stomp incident.

The reputation has been made up by the press. Simple as that. They don’t show him playing well for the last one and a half seasons. They show any hit, and I do mean any hit, and try to make a discussion on if it’s dirty or not. Nobody in the league is anywhere near Suh on being watched. So, everytime they decide he made a play that was unnecessary or crosses the line, they give him the business and it’s front page news. It isn’t with anybody else. Sunday’s block happens every single game. The only difference is that it’s Suh this time.

So, he gets penalties nobody else would get because he has a “history” and therefore is not able to get the benefit of the doubt. Yet, he only has a history because he gets more calls than others when he doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt. You see….. he has a history because he gets in trouble for things others don’t yet he only gets in trouble for things others don’t because he has a history….LOL

I said it before and I’ll say it again. Suh can’t win…he tried playing between the whistles, he’s tried the aggerssive approach…no matter what, even a simple play, a mistake, etc all turn into the pitchforks coming out…. I hope he just starts really going after people…. screw it…he’s in trouble no matter what anyweays.

52. baddegg says: Sep 10, 2013 2:41 PM

Means nothing. Should have been suspended.

This will have no impact on Suh’s behavior.

53. formyministy says: Sep 10, 2013 2:42 PM

@larryboodry says:
    Sep 10, 2013 2:37 PM
    @wearethesteelers:

My team has 9 rings. I like my story’s ending better.

—–

you own a team? sweet! can you hook me up with some tickets?

54. tufram says: Sep 10, 2013 2:43 PM

I don’t hear anyone crying to get Clay Mathews suspended for going after Kapernicks head. Stop with the witch hunts, put on your big boy pants and watch the wonderfully violent sport we call football.

55. Steeley McBeam says: Sep 10, 2013 2:43 PM

“Given Suh’s total compensation as the second pick in the 2010 draft (which is the last draft that happened without a rookie wage scale), losing the money won’t hurt as much as losing the playing time.

For Suh, the $100,000 fine hurts more than a two-game suspension would.”

I’m confused by these two sentences.

56. cliffordc05 says: Sep 10, 2013 2:45 PM

A two game suspenion hurts the team more than the monetary penalty. If Suh’s actions continue to harm the team then his coaches and teammates will become more proactive about getting this guy in line.

57. ghouchens says: Sep 10, 2013 2:45 PM

Suh’s biggest problem is that he doesn’t play for one of the media’s favored teams (Eagles, Redskins, Steelers, Patriots, etc.) If he did, he would be a hero.

58. Stupid Lions Fan says: Sep 10, 2013 2:48 PM

Wow the hypocrisy. Out of all the blatent, flagrant hits this weekend (Mathews, D-hall) Suh will end up with the biggest punishment because he missed on a block? Unreal. He had 1 penalty last year (offsides) but he is still the devil? The NFL is funny.

59. simplesimon1 says: Sep 10, 2013 2:48 PM

Mean Joe Green says keep it up Suh!!!! That’s all I need to hear!!!

60. atkinsandgreenreignsupreme says: Sep 10, 2013 2:49 PM

wearethesteelers says:
    Sep 10, 2013 2:07 PM

How is Pouncey and Foote doing this morning??? 9/16 Monday Night NO EXCUSES! You talk about all of this depth you have…now its time to show us…And riding 6 rings for the past does you what in 2013….Here is a guarantee…>Steelers wont be winning the SB in 2013! Enjoy last place in the AFC North…

61. bdnnbd says: Sep 10, 2013 2:51 PM

A rare case where I believe Florio is 100% correct.

62. seatownballers says: Sep 10, 2013 2:52 PM

He won’t change

63. chi01town says: Sep 10, 2013 2:52 PM

@Larryboodry
    I agree 100% ban this bum for life.
    throw his dirty a%$ out for good.
    then he will get the message and if he dont it wont matter anyway

64. freebird2011 says: Sep 10, 2013 2:55 PM

Defensive linemen having to block is really pretty rare. Fumble recoveries, interceptions, and the occasional blocked FG return. That’s about it.

It seems highly unlikely that Suh will repeat this offense again, whether fined or not.

If Sullivan had been injured, then a $100,000 fine would be justified. However, since Sullivan was not injured and immediately returned to the game 2 plays later after the Minnesota INT of Stafford, then the punishment should fit the ACTUAL crime, not what could have happened and not based upon intent, which is subjective and difficult to discern from that play.

65. hellafiedfc says: Sep 10, 2013 2:58 PM

every NFL player risks a career ending injury on every play. You can’t hit high and you can’t hit low. Goodell and the lawyers have emasculated the game…

66. maverick2560 says: Sep 10, 2013 2:58 PM

That was not a dirty play . It was textbook block as he was taught since he was a kid.. The intent of a fine is to deter future conduct. He should be fined as any player who unknowingly broke a rule and caused no harm. I have agreed that his past infractions deserved high fines especially his stomp. That kind of behavior deserves high fines and suspensions . This does not.

67. chillynuts says: Sep 10, 2013 3:02 PM

You suspension campaign failed, now move on.

68. booker1974 says: Sep 10, 2013 3:02 PM

matt491 says:
    Sep 10, 2013 2:41 PM

——————————-

That was what Goodell alleged, but not at all what was proven. They had a big play pool that rewarded big plays, including big hits, and they had a co-ordinator with a potty mouth that talked tough, but their play on the field was clean.

No proof was ever provided that any player was compensated for injuring another one, not to mention the Saints caused the 2nd least amount of injuries to opposing players of all teams during the three years Gregg Williams ran the defense.

69. topcide says: Sep 10, 2013 3:16 PM

Wheather the block thrown being low is dirty is debateable considering it would be perfectly legal for Sullivan to cut block Suh’s legs if Suh was trying to tackle the ball carrier or the QB on a offensive play.

But as others said, this rule is brand new, last season we wouldn’t be having this discussion. So breaking a new rule makes it a filthy play? so considering a RB going helmet to helmet is illegal now, and AP is well known for dropping and using his head like a weapon to crush through D players, does that make him a filthy player?

Deacon Jones is widely considered one of the best defensive players of all time, and he basically beat the snot of o-linemans heads and literally attemped to kill the QB, is Deacon a dirty player now too?

however, a rule is a rule, and Suh got flagged, the TD got taken back, and a penalty was enforced.

BUT….

For anyone to say that blocking sullivan was unecessary is absurd, a lions player was running a pick back and a vike was chasing him, sorry but you block that guy.

What if sullivan went unblocked and Levy stumbled and sullivan caught him? what then? would people still be saying the same thing? No, people would be calling suh an idiot for letting sullivan run him down and not blocking him.

Everyone keeps referencing that it was a o-lineman so it was not necessary, so what if it was a faster guy like AP or Jennings chasing Levy, is ok to block them, or do just the slow guys get special protection?

How about when a QB gets leveled for trying to make the tackle on a pick, is it ok to say that realtiscly a QB likely can’t bring down a charging OLB even if he hit’s the OLB square on and wrpas him up, so you can’t block him?

Look, I don’t advocate taking a guys knees out, and while I am a lions fan I am the first one to admit that suh makes bad decisions at times, but to bottom line is if you are running behind a player trying to take a pick back to the house you should expect to get blocked. It’s not like sullivan ran to the sideline, stopped and stood still and was blown up 45 yards away from the play.

70. jglion says: Sep 10, 2013 3:25 PM

stop whining about Suh. Most of you who are just wish you had him on your team. He’s an aggressive throwback player, who can’t be left alone in today’s NFL. His play is over scrutinized, and the criticism of him from pundits and fans (from other cities) is over stated.

71. ratsfoiledagain says: Sep 10, 2013 3:40 PM

wearethesteelers says: Sep 10, 2013 2:07 PM

************
    Don’t you mean 5 rings and a gift?

72. cwwgk says: Sep 10, 2013 3:44 PM

“Given the penalties the Saints received in 2012 for merely engaging in huffing and puffing…”

Um, how about the “unprecedented” cover -up the Saints organization attempted? You know, instructing personnel and players to deny everything to league investigators. Actions that later were admitted to by the Saints. The owner forked over a quarter million because of it. That’s a whole lot more than simply huffing and puffing.

73. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Sep 10, 2013 4:01 PM

I guess the NFL disagrees with your assessment considering that he was only fined and not suspended

74. dklyce44 says: Sep 10, 2013 6:07 PM

I would sideline or suspend him without pay.

75. larryboodry says: Sep 10, 2013 6:23 PM

formyministy says: Sep 10, 2013 2:42 PM

“you own a team? sweet! can you hook me up with some tickets?”

I apologize. “My favorite team has 9 rings.” And I am not sorry for how I said it originally, since any intelligent fan knows what I meant, I’m sorry that you have such a pathetic life that you felt the need to correct me. Better you should learn the rules of capitalization.

76. larryboodry says: Sep 10, 2013 6:29 PM

@wearethesteelers:

Why the guy you saw on the street wearing your Poethlisberger jersey?

77. lionsninersfan says: Sep 10, 2013 6:30 PM

at rasta08 RG3s career is over and your own coach did it to him lmao! Dont worry though you have a good backup in cousins

78. larryboodry says: Sep 10, 2013 6:31 PM

“Why was…”

79. lionsninersfan says: Sep 10, 2013 6:43 PM

@larryboodry my team has 9 rings I like my ending better

You must be talking about in madden, cuz even though I hate the steelers and ben “I got away with rape” rothlesberger, the steelers do have the most superbowl wins in nfl history with 6, followed by, and soon to be tied with the steelers, 5 by the great 49ers

80. theytukrjobs says: Sep 10, 2013 9:01 PM

If you watch the replay, he actually looks first to his team mate galloping alone to the goal line. Then he pivots his head, sees Sullivan slowing down giving up his pursuit, and dives directly and deliberately into the side of his knee.

Outside of taking a guy out 5 seconds after a play is over, this is literally the most egregious intent to injure you can possibly see from a player. He was fully aware that the play was effectively over, then made an illegal hit on a guy. Plus Suh is one of the dirtiest players in NFL history given how many incidents he’s had in such a short career already.

So suspend him or fine him. Whatever. But it is hard to imagine the NFL doing less to him for this than they’d do to anyone else. The only saving grace for him is that Sullivan wasn’t injured.

This guy will end more than one career throughout his career. That much is obvious. He tries to injure opponents any time they are unable to defend themselves. But then again, if he keeps it up, he might find his knee caving from the side at some point at the end of a play.

81. pack13queens0 says: Sep 11, 2013 12:54 AM

Suh’s hit was perfectly clean & legal, Roger Goodell just wants to protect his beloved Vikings.