Skip to content

Goodell on Redskins name: “If one person is offended, we have to listen”

Goodell AP

At a time when Redskins owner Daniel Snyder has insisted he’ll never change the team’s name, Commissioner Roger Goodell continues to take a somewhat softer stance.

In a Wednesday appearance with LaVar Arrington and Chad Dukes of 106.7 The Fan in Washington, Goodell reiterated his recent willingness to acknowledge that some may be legitimately troubled by the term.

“I think what we have to do though is we have to listen,” Goodell said.  “If one person is offended, we have to listen.”

Goodell comments represent the latest step in a subtle evolution by the league from denial of the existence of a problem to acceptance of the reality that a slowly growing segment of the population finds the name troubling.

At his annual pre-Super Bowl press conference, Goodell sidestepped a question on the subject by saying, “I don’t think anybody wants to offend anybody.”  Since then, he has adopted a posture that acknowledges the possibility that offense will be taken, regardless of intent.

In a response to a letter from 10 members of Congress, Goodell initially defended the name, but he then admitted that the “issues raised with respect to the Washington Redskins name are complex.”  Goodell also pointed out that the NFL “respect[s] that reasonable people may view it differently, particularly over time.”

In August, Goodell addressed the name again, in connection with the controversy that emerged regarding the use of a racial slur by Eagles receiver Riley Cooper.

“We have to continue to be open and continue to listen, but we also want to make sure we’re doing what’s right to encourage that heritage and that pride that we have in the Redskins name.  But we’ll always listen and be open,” Goodell said.

Wednesday’s comments, in our view, come the closest yet to a concession that, at some point in time, the voices that are speaking out against the name will outnumber and overpower the voices that, in many cases, hope to currently shout down the dissenters.

“Ultimately it is Dan’s decision,” Goodell said of a possible name change.  “But it’s something that I want all of us to go out and make sure we’re listening to our fans, listening to people of a different view, and making sure that we continue to do what’s right to make sure that team represents the strong tradition and history that it has for so many years.”

In other words, at some point the name no longer represents a “strong tradition and history.”  At some point the name becomes inherently offensive even if it is intertwined for decades with the name of a football team.  At some point the name will have to be changed, whether because of political, judicial, or economic pressure.

Goodell’s latest remarks leave the door open for action if/when the opposition to the name reaches national critical mass.  He senses that the day is coming; the only question is whether it happens before or after he retires from the job he already has held for seven years.

Permalink 153 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
yo

Lovie Smith says a patchwork offensive line can be fine

Lovie Smith AP

The Buccaneers’ offensive line has been a major question mark all year, and when the season opens next weekend the line will feature a bunch of guys who have never played together as a unit. And coach Lovie Smith says that’s just fine because, according to Smith, chemistry among offensive linemen is overrated.

“It’s been talked an awful lot about “the offensive line, they have to play together’’,’’ Smith said, via ESPN. “I don’t buy that at all. I think you get the best possible guys you can, and you make moves when you have to.’’

Smith said new arrival Logan Mankins can fit right in without having practiced with his teammates

“He knows how to get himself ready,” Smith said of Mankins. “He’ll have to change a little bit of terminology but not as much as you would assume. He’ll fit in right away and I don’t think that will be a big issue. Some of our other offensive linemen haven’t played a lot together. But these three preseason games, they’ve come together. Based on the way they played the last time they were together [in the third preseason game], we like where we’re at.”

At the moment, the offensive line looks like the Bucs’ biggest weakness. If Smith is right, perhaps the offensive line can be a surprise strength of a team going in the right direction.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Texans cut 2011 second-round pick Brandon Harris

brandonharris AP

Another recent Texans draft pick has been sent packing.

Cornerback Brandon Harris, a 2011 second-round draft pick, was cut by the Texans today, according to James Palmer of CSN Houston.

Bad draft picks have plagued the Texans in recent years, and Harris is a prime example: When you draft a player in the second round, you expect him to be a starter. Harris is released having never started a game in Houston.

Harris, who played his college football at the University of Miami, is a talented enough athlete that some team may decide to give him a second chance in the NFL. But his first chance, in Houston, has ended as a major disappointment.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Report: Kyle Orton reaches deal with Bills

Kyle Orton AP

He’s back.

Veteran quarterback Kyle Orton has reached a one-year deal with the Bills, ESPN.com’s James Walker reported Friday night.

In July, the Cowboys released Orton, who was said to be considering retirement. At the time, Dallas owner Jerry Jones indicated the 31-year-old quarterback wasn’t done playing just yet.

Jones was apparently right.

With 70 NFL starts to his credit, Orton is likely to displace Jeff Tuel as the top backup to Bills starter EJ Manuel. The more interesting discussion point, though, is whether Orton could eventually push Manuel, who had an up-and-down summer.

Before joining Dallas in 2012, Orton had stints with Chicago (2005-2008), Denver (2009-2011) and Kansas City (2011). He has completed 1,326-of-2,265 passes for 15,019 yards with 83 TDs and 59 interceptions in his NFL career.

The Bills’ reported addition of Orton is their latest attempt to solidify their depth behind Manuel, who missed six games a season ago as a rookie. Tuel, Dennis Dixon and Thad Lewis were the backups to begin the summer, but only Tuel remains of that trio. The Bills also parted ways with ex-Bears quarterback Jordan Palmer on Friday.

Permalink 106 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Jack Crawford indicates he will be released by Raiders

Oakland Raiders v Seattle Seahawks Getty Images

The Raiders are reportedly set to release one of their 2012 draft picks.

Via Instagram, defensive end Jack Crawford indicated Friday night that the club had parted ways with him.

“Wish the best for all my teammates I went to battle with and will always have a place in my heart for the #RaiderNation for giving two of the best years of my life,” Crawford wrote.

The 25-year-old Crawford was a fifth-round pick out of Penn State. He appeared in 19 games in his first two seasons with Oakland, notching 18 tackles. He recorded one tackle in Oakland’s preseason finale vs. Seattle on Thursday. Crawford was listed as the Raiders’ third-string left defensive end.

Permalink 1 Comment Feed for comments Back to top

Seahawks to release Terrelle Pryor

Pryor AP

The Rams’ patience may have paid off.

Per a league source, the Seahawks will release quarterback Terrelle Pryor.  A 2011 third-round supplemental pick of the Raiders, Pryor will hit the waiver wire, since he doesn’t yet have four years of experience.

The Rams could very well be interested in Pryor, who has shown flashes of potential at the position.  He was unable, however, to beat out Tarvaris Jackson as the backup to Russell Wilson.

Pryor appeared in 11 games with nine starts last year for the Raiders, who traded him to Seattle in the offseason.

If Pryor clears waivers, he will become a free agent.

Whether by waivers or free agency, the Rams could use a veteran presence behind Shaun Hill.  The only other quarterback currently on the active roster, Austin Davis, has no NFL regular-season experience.

Permalink 112 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Packers lose lineman Aaron Adams for the year with ACL/MCL

Green Bay Packers v Tennessee Titans Getty Images

The Packers are going to be in the market for more offensive line help.

According to Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com, the Packers have lost tackle Aaron Adams to a torn ACL and MCL.

Adams, who spent last year on their practice squad, had a chance to make the team as a backup. But he blew out his knee on the second play from scrimmage Thursday night, and will be placed on injured reserve.

They’ll be without projected starting center J.C. Tretter for the first month of the season with a knee injury, so they’re short on depth at the moment.

That makes some degree of move likely, whether it’s a waiver claim, a trade or a signing.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Derek Carr or Matt Schaub? Dennis Allen not ready to say

derekcarr AP

Raiders rookie quarterback Derek Carr played well in the preseason finale on Thursday night. But did he play well enough to unseat Matt Schaub as the starter? Coach Dennis Allen isn’t saying.

Allen said today that Schaub was not at the facility because of “a personal issue,” and Allen doesn’t know whether Schaub’s sore elbow is feeling any better. As a result, Allen isn’t prepared to say whether Schaub will be ready to go for Week One.

“I think the biggest thing is I want to be able to check on Matt and see where Matt is health-wise,” Allen said. “Like I said, he was making some progress last week, threw on the side with the trainers. I feel like he’ll be ready to go, but I think we need to see how he’s doing Monday when he gets in here.”

So before Allen can say whether Schaub will start, Allen needs to see whether Schaub is healthy. And that won’t happen until Monday at the earliest.

But if preseason performance is any indication, Carr should start over Schaub regardless of Schaub’s health: Carr completed 66.7 percent of his passes with four touchdowns and one interception in the preseason, while Schaub completed just 51.1 percent of his passes with no touchdowns and one interception. (For that matter, based on the preseason, third-string quarterback Matt McGloin should move ahead of Schaub on the depth chart, too.) Allen acknowledged that he was happy with the way Carr played in the preseason finale.

“There’s a lot of things that factor into the decision making process, but I will say that I was very pleased with what I saw out of Derek Carr last night,” Allen said.

The quarterback play in Oakland hasn’t been pleasing very often in recent years. Carr has shown promise, and that might be enough to give him the Week One nod.

Permalink 69 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Report: Bills sign long-snapper Sanborn to three-year extension

Carolina Panthers v Buffalo Bills Getty Images

The Bills have signed one of their core special teams players to a new contract.

The club announced Friday it had signed long-snapper Garrison Sanborn to a contract extension. According to Aaron Wilson of National Football Post, Sanborn received a three-year deal averaging $1.1 million per season. Sanborn is now under contract for the next four seasons, Wilson reported.

A Florida State product, the 29-year-old Sanborn has appeared in every game in the last five seasons for Buffalo. According to NFLPA data, Sanborn is slated to make $895,000 in salary in 2014.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Rex Ryan would make the Clemson trip again

Rex Ryan AP

A year ago, Jets coach Rex Ryan took some criticism when he left town on the day of final roster cuts to attend the Clemson-Georgia game and see his son, a walk-on receiver at Clemson. This year, Clemson again plays Georgia on the day that final roster cuts are due, and Ryan won’t be making the trip.

But that’s not because Ryan has any regrets. In fact, Ryan told reporters today that he would make the Clemson trip over again, and the only reason he’s not going to the game this year is that his son isn’t going to the game either. Seth Ryan is nursing a broken collarbone and isn’t traveling with his teammates to Georgia, but if he were playing, his dad would be there.

“I am not going to discuss my situation and things like that,” Rex Ryan said. “But, it’s safe to say if my son was playing in the game I probably would have been there again. But he, unfortunately, is not on the travel team right now. He is still injured, so I am not going to go watch.”

On this call, Ryan is right: A quick trip to see his son isn’t dereliction of duty, it’s the right thing to do.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Eagles trying to trade receiver Damaris Johnson

New York Jets v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

Some guys you know are going to be gone, so you can go ahead and cut them on Friday.

But if a team thinks a guy they don’t need might have value, you can bet they’re going to wait until the last minute.

According to Geoff Mosher of CSNPhilly.com, the Eagles are trying to trade wide receiver Damaris Johnson.

The Eagles are deep enough at receiver they probably wouldn’t be able to/want to keep Johnson.

He’s undersized, but he’s also shown enough as a special teamer and a wideout that he might interest someone. He caught 19 passes for 256 yards for the Eagles last year, and might be worth the obligatory conditional late round pick to someone.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Report: James Harrison not likely to sign with Cardinals

James Harrison AP

A notable ex-Steeler doesn’t appear to be headed to Pittsburgh West.

Free agent outside linebacker James Harrison isn’t likely to sign with the Arizona Cardinals at this time, Harrison’s agent, Bill Parise, told ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

Parise told Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic the two sides couldn’t reach agreement on a deal.

“Couldn’t make the numbers work,” Parise said, according to the Republic.

The 36-year-old Harrison appeared in 15 games (10 starts) for Cincinnati in 2013, notching 30 tackles. His best seasons came with the Steelers, for whom he was a five-time Pro Bowler.

Current Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians was a Pittsburgh assistant for much of Harrison’s tenure with the club, and Arizona has been a landing spot for other ex-Steelers in recent years. But for now, Harrison won’t be added to that list.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Redskins cut eight players

Andre Roberts, Richard Crawford AP

The Redskins began cutting their way to 53 players on Friday by parting ways with eight members of the roster.

That group includes cornerback Richard Crawford, who was a 2012 seventh-round pick of the team. He played 10 games as a rookie, recording 18 tackles and an interception while also returning eight punts for an average of 19.5 yards per return. He missed all of last season with a knee injury and retains practice squad eligibility thanks to this year’s change in the rules.

Washington also waived safety Da’Mon Cromartie-Smith, guard/center Tevita Stevens, tight end Ted Bolser, punter Robert Malone, center Kevin Kowalski, wide receiver Lee Doss and defensive tackle Robert Thomas.

The Redskins roster now stands at 67 players, leaving 14 more moves to make before Saturday’s deadline.

 

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Josh Gordon hasn’t ruled out litigation, yet

Gordon AP

A lawyer who apparently isn’t too busy to check out PFT (and we appreciate that) has floated an intriguing theory about the out-of-the-blue decision by Browns receiver Josh Gordon to seek permission to play in the land of Labatt Blue.

Did Gordon ask to play in Canada knowing that the request would be denied, so that he in turn could bolster an effort to seek an injunction preventing the implementation of his suspension via a lawsuit challenging the suspension?

Those facts would help show what the law calls “irreparable harm,” one of the key factors that must exist for a court tell a party who wants to do something to not do it until the case has ended.  Gordon currently is caught in a vise, unable to play for the Browns and also not permitted while suspended to play for anyone else.  While that may not win the day, it’s one of those real-world facts that could cause a judge to conclude that Josh has gotten jobbed.

Of course, none of that is relevant unless and until Gordon sues.  Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Gordon’s legal team is still exploring the possibility of filing suit.

Time is running out.  Practice in advance of the Week One game at Pittsburgh begins on Wednesday.  Courts will likely be shut down until Tuesday, given the holiday weekend.  If Gordon wants to get an order allowing him to practice and play, he needs to move a lot more quickly than, say, the NFL did in resolving his appeal.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Tyrann Mathieu will tackle in practice this week

Tyrann Mathieu AP

The Cardinals activated safety Tyrann Mathieu from the PUP list on August 19, leaving the date of his regular season debut as the biggest question left to answer in Mathieu’s return from a torn ACL.

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said he wanted to see Mathieu play in the preseason finale if he was going to face the Chargers on the first Monday night of the season. Mathieu didn’t play in that game, but Arians left the door open for Mathieu to play because the second-year man will take part in tackling drills during Arizona’s padded practice next week.

“I wasn’t kidding,” Arians said regarding his earlier comments about Mathieu playing in Week One. “We’ll see how he tackles, though.”

Mathieu is hopeful that Arians, General Manager Steve Keim and the medical staff will feel that he’s ready to hit the field, but Darren Urban of the team’s website marks himself down as “doubtful” that we’ll be seeing Mathieu against Philip Rivers and company. Even if he misses that game, it shouldn’t be too long before Mathieu is back in the Cardinals secondary.

Permalink 4 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Greg Jones released by Saints

Jacksonville Jaguars v Tennessee Titans Getty Images

The Saints brought veteran fullback Greg Jones aboard early in camp after Erik Lorig went down with a leg injury, but he won’t be helping to open holes or protect Drew Brees this season.

Nick Underhill of the Baton Rouge Advocate reports that Jones has been released as the team starts the process of paring the roster down to 53 players.

With Lorig’s status for the regular season still up in the air as he continues to battle his injury, the Saints opted to go with Austin Johnson over Jones at fullback. It’s a somewhat surprising development because Johnson entered the NFL as a linebacker in 2012.

Johnson had played fullback during his first two years at the University of Tennessee, but tried and failed to make the Ravens on defense. The Saints signed him last year, moved him back to offense and he spent the year on the practice squad.

Jones has played 10 seasons in the NFL, nine with the Jaguars and the 2013 campaign with the Texans, so his experience may be appealing to teams looking for a different fullback.

Permalink 3 Comments Feed for comments Back to top