Brandon Jacobs: 49ers were “scared” to cut him

AP

Prodigal Giants running back Brandon Jacobs said that his year with the 49ers was a “curse,” and that they effectively admitted they didn’t want to have to face him again.

The 49ers suspended him after his social media attack, which complained about playing time, the kind of thing you do when you’re trying to get cut.

“I didn’t think I was done because they didn’t want to release me,” Jacobs said, via Dave Hutchinson of the Newark Star-Ledger. “I was told point-blank, ‘Do I look like a fool? I release you and you’ll be with somebody else and come back and play against us? I felt good about it.

I’m like, ‘I see, y’all are scared of me. It’s cool. I’m all right.’”

Of course, it might have also just been pragmatism, as offering help to someone you might have to face at some point doesn’t seem wise either.

Either way, the veteran back was in a more welcoming mood with reporters upon his return to a familiar setting. Giants coach Tom Coughlin said that Jacobs had become “humble” during his year away.

“That is accurate,” Jacobs said. “It takes people to go through things and learn and be better. I’m happy I went through that.”

There’s also still the small matter of whether he can play or not. The 31-year-old back was in the 295-pound neighborhood this offseason, though he’s dropped around 30 pounds in preparation for his return to New York. Then again, if he can simply hang onto the ball, he’ll be a welcome addition.

89 responses to “Brandon Jacobs: 49ers were “scared” to cut him

1. Never has such a mediocre player had such a high opinion of himself. This guy is huge and falls down at the touch of a feather.

2. “I like Brandon Jacobs but I feel like Brandon Jacobs is a little bit soft.”

“He can’t get away from a defender,” Rice continued. “This guy is 265 and it upsets me when I see him get tackled by a guy that’s like 190 or 200 pounds.”

/end thread

3. Does he still know the playbook and is he still big enough to stand up a blitzing LB/released DE? Can he handle maybe 7-10 total touches per game? Can he teach the talented but clearly volatile first round RB to deal with the highs and lows of the NFL game?

4. I Highly doubt it. Its almost as if he doesn’t remember getting hurt and always complaining. On top of that Frank Gore is way better.
    I’m pretty sure there isn’t a single team scared of your dancing before the line of scrimmage.

5. 2 things:

1. He is the one who said the 49ers were “scared”. The 49ers didn’t say it.

2. I’m guessing if he was good enough to scare them, then he was good enough to get playing time and would have made the team.

6. Haha is he serious?!?! He was cut because he couldn’t keep his mouth shut and accept his role on the team. He was the #5 running back on SF, couldn’t even beat out Anthony Dixon because he has no value on special teams. He had 5 carries for 7 yds last year, real scary Tip-Toeing Brandon. Gotta love a 265 lbs man who runs like he’s a 150.

7. That’s right Brandon…you’re such a ‘scary’ runner, the 9ers were afraid to let you carry the ball.

8. I get the feeling Jacobs would fit right in on Survivor. When he gets voted out because of his incredibly obnoxious personality that no one can stand having around camp anymore, he can just tell himself and anyone else who will listen that the real reason he got voted out was because they saw him as too big a threat.

9. Didn’t the Giants refuses to sing this clown in 2012? Since its already the second week of the NFL season and no one signed him to begin with, he should not be gloating. Only thing he’s got going for himself is that he’s the best worst choice they have.

10. A lot of players should learn that in the NFL you can go from starting on a title contending team to the scrap heap awfully fast. Jacobs should realize he will be out of the league in a season or two and cherish the time any team gives him.

11. Yeah, the 49ers were so “scared” of Jacobs’ talent that he didn’t get any playing time even after Frank Gore’s top backup went down with a season ending injury.

12. Predictable “hate” posts from peanut gallery. To a man, any self-respecting 49er fan will admit that the one opponent who they feared making the playoffs last year were the Giants. It’s obvious that Harbaugh kept Jacobs to prevent him resigning with NY, sparking a late season surge and a hot NY team ending up back in SF in the divisional rd. Cmon 9er fans. Come clean.

13. Louisiana will always love you Brandon Jacobs even though you did talk trash about the saints in 09 before we laid it down.
    If you ever saw any of his highschool tape from his days at napoleonville you know what i mean. this dude at tailback was unstoppable. Run right in to the middle of a stacked front bust out the other side and then beat the dbs in a footrace.
    Even though hes the tiptoe monster nowadays ill always remember him as a true rhino

14. isphet71 says:
    Sep 12, 2013 12:43 PM
    When Jacobs plays the 49ers again, he’s going to exact his revenge in the form of 47 yards on 17 carries and a fumble!
    ———–
    Oh child. You have no idea about Jacobs’ value to a team. If he gets the ball 17 times, that would be a beautiful thing for my Giants. That’s a lot of runs to soften up your defense so that Wilson can run wild and Eli can pick it apart…..kind of like in the NFCCG….recall?

15. I thought gonad fans called him twinkle toes? Giants are desperate to hire this guy. You know TomC. told him to keep his mouth shut and play. Oh well BJ never had any respect for a HOF coach if he is already mouthing off.

16. @justintuckrule says:
    Sep 12, 2013 1:08 PM
    isphet71 says:
    Sep 12, 2013 12:43 PM
    ———–
    ——
    Lol..hanging on to two years ago. If the cowgirls could stop tripping over themselves, last weeks game would have been a rout.

Have fun in the basement.

17. Wait , wait, wait is this the same Brandon Jacobs that didn’t have a job in the NFL last week? Oh ok. CLEARLY the 49ers were “scared” to release him

GO NINERS!

18. If they feared you so much, they would have played you a lot more than they did. Get over yourself, buddy. You’re old, slow, and can’t break a tackle to save your life.

19. pixelito says:
    Sep 12, 2013 10:30 AM

How many other Running Backs in the NFL are 2-time Superbowl Champions?
    ===========================================

I don’t believe there are any active RB’s, but Jacobs wasn’t a very big part of getting them there. In fact, I think he almost cost them a few games with his knack for fumbling the ball.

20. justintuckrule says:
    Sep 12, 2013 1:08 PM
    isphet71 says:
    Sep 12, 2013 12:43 PM
    ———–

It’s strange that the Giants waited until after week 1 to sign him. Very sneaky tactic. I guess they sould have signed him BEFORE losing to the Cowgirls (sorry M.D. Smith i know the dergatory woman commenst bother you).

21. You are totally high and making a joke right? BJ is a joke. As a Giants fan I am sad that our RB situation sucks so bad that we need to consider him… We are f’d. Come on Eli… Save us yet again.

kaeptovernon says:
    Sep 12, 2013 2:01 PM
    justintuckrule says:
    Sep 12, 2013 1:08 PM
    isphet71 says:
    Sep 12, 2013 12:43 PM
    ———–

22. @9er fans – I haven’t seen loudmouth Harbaugh deny Jacobs’ comment, have you? It’s ok to admit that you feared us. Not a big deal to admit fear. Indeed, we thank you for beating the Saints and SAVING us from going to that house of horrors in 2011. See how easy it is? You strategically signed away two key cogs to our offense knowing it didn’t matter at all to you if they played for SF or not as long as they weren’t burning you in Giants’ blue. I get it. It’s not different if we signed Darren Sharper and sat him on the bench as long as he wasn’t tormenting Eli in the Dome. No shame in admitting these things. Try it. You will feel the weight lift right off!

23. @kaeptovernon – They signed Jacobs after week 1 to avoid a 1 yr guaranteed salary. Obviously, it backfired on them royally. I always said they should have signed him before the preseason started for the exact reasons they have signed him now. We probably would have won the Dallas game if we had him simply because Wilson would have been out sooner and Jacobs would have been picking up all the blitzes that Wilson and Scott missed. Oh well. Sets us up for the rest of the season nicely.

24. What he was really disappointed about during his time in SF was that the CHiPs didn’t provide the same 100 mph escorts on the highways that the NJ State Police could provide him……..Welcome back Brandon ….can’t wait to join in one of those with my mustang!

25. Everyone is forgetting how important he was to the Giants superbowl run two years ago. He didn’t have a great regular season but he turned it on when the playoffs rolled around. For everyone saying he is soft, ask Laron Landry and Al harris if they agree with that.

26. moronic gints fans coming out in full force after the whipping at the cowboys hands (it wasn’t as close as the score showed).
    If you were so hot on Jacobs you’d have signed him last season.

27. justintuckrule says:
    Sep 12, 2013 3:04 PM
    “@kaeptovernon – They signed Jacobs after week 1 to avoid a 1 yr guaranteed salary. Obviously, it backfired on them royally. I always said they should have signed him before the preseason started for the exact reasons they have signed him now. We probably would have won the Dallas game if we had him simply because Wilson would have been out sooner and Jacobs would have been picking up all the blitzes that Wilson and Scott missed. Oh well. Sets us up for the rest of the season nicely.”

I assume you are kidding!? It was a plan all along to wait till after week 1 to sign BJ!? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

28. justintuckrule says:
    Sep 12, 2013 3:00 PM
    “@9er fans – I haven’t seen loudmouth Harbaugh deny Jacobs’ comment, have you? It’s ok to admit that you feared us. Not a big deal to admit fear. Indeed, we thank you for beating the Saints and SAVING us from going to that house of horrors in 2011. See how easy it is? You strategically signed away two key cogs to our offense knowing it didn’t matter at all to you if they played for SF or not as long as they weren’t burning you in Giants’ blue. I get it. It’s not different if we signed Darren Sharper and sat him on the bench as long as he wasn’t tormenting Eli in the Dome. No shame in admitting these things. Try it. You will feel the weight lift right off!”

“Loudmouth Harbaugh” was busy with relevant 2013 NFC teams.

29. themanwitthetruth says:
    Sep 12, 2013 3:51 PM
    “Let’s gooooo G-MEN no matter how bad ppl say we are with ELI we will always have a chance#2014 CHAMPS”

LOLZ

30. Um, yeah. Eli had 316 yards and 2 TDs in that game. Cruz had 142 yards receiving. Right. you stopped the Giants cold. And that’s WITH the 9ers stacking Eli 6 times.

If you think that’s a great defensive effort, then I’d hate to see what you think a poor one is.

31. dirtyjersey9er says:
    Sep 12, 2013 3:46 PM
    justintuckrule seems to forget that it took two fumbles by Kyle Williams for the Giants to even come back and win. Eli wasn’t getting past the 50 that often before that.
    —————
    And Smith and his 0-fer 3rd down was?? As I have this game locked on my DVR and it has soothed me to sleep for the last 2 years, trust me when I say this. Kyle Williams may have fumbled twice but he also flipped the field for SF on at least 3 occasions with his solid punt and k/o returns. He doesn’t do that, we start near midfield those times and win going away. Don’t get me started on that joke of an offense you trotted out that day. Aside from two plays to Davis, your team was stopped cold. Cruz, on the other hand, just caught another pass against that overrated secondary of yours. You know…the same one we abused last year when we whipped that tail 26-3. Yeah…that one. Please, we own you. Which brings me back around to the reason why that coward whiny coach of yours kept Jacobs from us.

32. It’s cute to see all the giant fans backing him now that they don’t have a rb for Sht yet he did the same thing when the niners signed him and he felt need to bad mouth the Giants lol go head on with your bad self Jacobs can’t wit to see them 5’9 db’s tackle you one on one lol AGAIN

33. Simply put…..Harbaugh did not want to lose another big playoff game at home….errrr….Giants Stadium West.

34. kaeptovernon says: Sep 12, 2013 2:01 PM

justintuckrule says:
    Sep 12, 2013 1:08 PM
    isphet71 says:
    Sep 12, 2013 12:43 PM
    ———–

————
    Nothing sneaky about it. Post-Week 1 signings are non-guaranteed contracts.

35. See SF fans….we have Giants Stadia all over the country. We have Giants Stadium North (Lambeau), Giants Stadium South (Dallas) and Giants Stadium West (dumpy Candlestick). Granted….half of our problem is making it to January. Though, once we do, we usually leave those places as quiet as a country road graveyard. I don’t blame Harbaugh for keeping Jacobs. It was a smart move.

36. dirtyjersey9er says: Sep 12, 2013 3:46 PM

————–

And it took the lights being intentionally shut out for SF to not get blown out by the widest margin in SUPER BOWL HISTORY.

We can play that game also. And you have now choked back to back years. SF fans have NO ROOM to talk to Giants fans.

37. justintuckrule says: Sep 12, 2013 4:32 PM

——–
    Beautiful.

38. kaeptovernon says: Sep 12, 2013 3:44 PM

justintuckrule says:
    Sep 12, 2013 3:00 PM

“Loudmouth Harbaugh” was busy with relevant 2013 NFC teams.
    ———————

And still came up dry. Talk to us when you have something other than dusty titles to brag about.

39. @Mr. Wright 212

Since you are probably a bandwagoner but I can remind you of the second lucky play…wide right. Hahahahaha…Lily manning.

40. cb5x says:
    Sep 12, 2013 6:16 PM
    If the Giants weren’t so desperate for a running back, fatty would still be unemployed.
    ———–
    “Fatty” has his own Tony Gonzalez inspired protein water company and dropped down 30 lbs back to his 265lb playing weight. Reports say he’s got a 6 pack, bulging arms and looks in better shape than when he was here years ago.