Janikowski says he likes the A’s, and dirt

Jacksonville Jaguars v Oakland Raiders Getty Images

As it turns out, Raiders kicker Sebastian Janikowski does like his local baseball team.

But he might not like Jaguars kicker Josh Scobee.

In discussing the difficulties of kicking off the dirt of baseball infields, Scobee told Vito Stellino of the Florida Times-Union that Janikowski hated it so much he hoped the Oakland Athletics didn’t make the playoffs, since that would mean sod would go down sooner.

But when word reached Janikowski, he was not pleased.

“I go to A’s games all the time and root for them,” Janikowski said, via Vic Tafur of the San Francisco Chronicle. “I was pissed off when I heard that.”

Janikowski also said he thought kicking off the dirt was an advantage for the Raiders, since so few teams have to worry about it (Scobee went to a nearby baseball field to practice, as many do).

While it’s hard to imagine Scobee’s motivation to lie, it’s just as easy to see why Janikowski wanted to get his side out there — he works in Oakland half the year.

If Janikowski really wants to prove his loyalty to the A’s, he’ll grow a big mustache, a la Rollie Fingers in the 1970s. If nothing else, it would serve as an homage to former Raiders defensive end Ben Davidson.

For a kicker who already has an intimidating look, it would be, in a word, awesome.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Janikowski says he likes the A’s, and dirt”
  1. raji1824 says: Sep 12, 2013 5:56 PM

I m not a raider fan but it ll be nice to see them turn this franchise around.

2. charger383 says: Sep 12, 2013 6:07 PM

Don’t piss Seabass off, if he gets mad he might make one from 70 yards

3. humb0lt says: Sep 12, 2013 6:11 PM

Kudos to Darin Gantt for working in a Rollie Fingers reference. For the young ‘uns who weren’t around when the A’s won three straight World Series, you missed a great time to be a sports fan – when football was football and when the World Series was in Oakland you could walk up to the booth at the Coliseum and buy a ticket on the day of the game.

4. ibreathefootball says: Sep 12, 2013 6:12 PM

That missed field goal lost the game Janikowski!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Overrated kicker, if that’s even possible.

5. thegreatgabbert says: Sep 12, 2013 6:16 PM

…not necessarily in that order.

6. tinbender2000 says: Sep 12, 2013 6:17 PM

I can’t understand why Mark Davis has a problem with being the only team that has to put up with an infield. Boo frickin hoo. Dude, Everyone else comes into Oakland with that dirt infield messing with their head, you’re the only team in the league it doesn’t effect.

7. koufaxmitzvah says: Sep 12, 2013 6:32 PM

Baseball rules, football drools.

Proven yet again.

8. digitalsasquatch says: Sep 12, 2013 6:46 PM

I don’t think there’d be room in an off-the-shelf helmet for C-Bass’ enormous pink noggin and a full Rollie handlebar.

9. Dennis Allen's Outgoing Persona says: Sep 12, 2013 6:49 PM

What I don’t get is, a billion dollar company such as the NFL can’t hire people to put in grass infield a couple of times a year? It doesn’t sound like a complicated process just drape it over the diamond, and remove it.

10. southwood420 says: Sep 12, 2013 6:53 PM

Ibreathefootball
    Sep 12, 2013 6:12 PM

So last time I checked the score was 17-21 that would be a 4 point loss. And last time I checked field goals are only worth 3 points. So how would 3 points be the reason we lost the game when we needed 4 to tie??? I’m very confused. If you breathe football like your name says you should know how they keep score. At least.

11. quizguy66 says: Sep 12, 2013 7:18 PM

Kicker Fight! Scobee better be ready.
    -QG

12. ibreathefootball says: Sep 12, 2013 7:21 PM

southwood420 says:

Add the FG, 21-20. Raiders were scoring, and had to play erratic to try to score a TD. If not they could have depended on the fat polish kicker to win 23-21.

13. stoogy says: Sep 12, 2013 8:20 PM

yes if he makes the fg to end the half they had a very good chance to win that game, how ever I believe that be more on king as a first regular season fg attempt hold. Maybe the best FSU alum ever in the NFL. Well other then MR. Sanders

14. johnflenoil says: Sep 12, 2013 9:21 PM

Janikowski looks OK the way he is.

15. tinbender2000 says: Sep 12, 2013 9:58 PM

humb0lt says: Sep 12, 2013 6:11 PM

Those were good times. My moms boss gave my dad and me first base three rows up tickets for all the world series games in the seventies. True story, her boss was a union negotiator named Les Moore. And my paper route paid for Raider tickets.

16. silvernblak says: Sep 13, 2013 12:33 AM

Seabass is a first ballet hall of famer as soon as Ray Guy makes his mark in Canton! Who the hell cares about the dirt if they win? Look at Dallas? 1.1Bill. Stadium and they still suck!

17. southwood420 says: Sep 13, 2013 10:13 AM

So your telling me that seabass was the reason we lost? I’m still confused. So the two picks Pryor threw had nothing to do with it? I mean they had a 1st and goal took a sack ad threw a pick to End the game. Tell me once again how a field goal lost it ?

18. neraider says: Sep 13, 2013 12:02 PM

southwood420 says: Sep 13, 2013 10:13 AM

Did you even watch the game? Do you really not understand football at all?

If he made the first half field goal, we would only be down by 1. Instead of taking the sack and throwing an interception, we could have just ran the ball and kicked a chip shot to win the game.

Lay off the wacky stuff, there 420.

19. southwood420 says: Sep 14, 2013 9:47 AM

Even with your logic , the field goal isn’t the reason why, cause as you said we would have needed to score again to take the lead. Therefore the field goal isn’t why we lost by 4.