Matt Kalil: I’m not freaked out by one bad game

Matt Kalil AP

Vikings left tackle Matt Kalil didn’t have the best preseason, picking up personal fouls and giving up sacks to the opposition during the team’s exhibition games.

It’s easy to forget those things when a player comes out and plays at a higher level when the games start counting, but it gets viewed a bit differently if the player struggles. Kalil struggled against the Lions in the opener, which led to questions on Thursday about whether he was concerned about his level of play. Kalil admitted that his play “wasn’t a confidence booster” but that he wasn’t going to overreact to one bad outing.

“Playing well last year, people have higher standards, which is fine,” Kalil said, via Brian Murphy of the Pioneer Press. “It’s not something I don’t already know. I’m not freaking out. We’ve still got a long season, and I know I’m going to get better. I always have a [high] bar. No one’s going to say anything in the film room — no coach is going to say anything — I already haven’t told myself. I know what I need to fix. I got my mind straight this week, and I’m ready to get after it.”

Kalil played well enough last year that you’d have to expect him to get things straightened out. He’s got a tough matchup with Bears defensive end Julius Peppers this weekend, so the Vikings offense would prefer he make any needed fixes quickly in order for their offense to find its footing.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
40 Responses to “Matt Kalil: I’m not freaked out by one bad game”
  1. freshnsoclean says: Sep 13, 2013 9:26 AM

We know you don’t want to block for Ponder, it’s ok us Vikings fan want him gone too.

2. adantsa says: Sep 13, 2013 9:30 AM

He and Peppers had some battles last year. That Vikes OL is better than they played last week. They’ll need to step up to avoid 0-2.

3. tokyosandblaster says: Sep 13, 2013 9:41 AM

He added, “now one TERRIBLE game where we got it handed to us in every phase of the game by one of the worst teams in sports…that has me screaming like the little girl everyone thinks I am.”

4. glennsyank13 says: Sep 13, 2013 9:41 AM

Well how could one bad game scare him? He has seen Ponder play a whole season poorly and still has no fear of losing his job.

5. cwhat32 says: Sep 13, 2013 9:43 AM

A lot of teams are going to be having bad games against the Lions D-line

6. gbmickey says: Sep 13, 2013 9:58 AM

And to think you guys were ripping on our line.

7. valhallarising says: Sep 13, 2013 9:59 AM

“I got my mind straight this week, and I’m ready to get after it.”

Why wasn’t your mind straight last week in the season opener? Why weren’t you “ready to get after it” then? I think (hope) he returns to form though.

8. longcutskolvikes says: Sep 13, 2013 10:00 AM

Well, he better play better than he’s shown this season or the Viking’s goose is cooked.

9. Born: 1961 Titles seen: 0 says: Sep 13, 2013 10:04 AM

It’s actully 4 bad games, your preseason was pretty bad, too. But, I’m assuming he’ll figure it out since he was a pro-bowler last year! Nothing to see here, he’ll be fine.

10. sandblastermoron says: Sep 13, 2013 10:06 AM

The green bay defense will fix all problem s. They’re horrible

11. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Sep 13, 2013 10:08 AM

He’s far from the last offensive lineman that Suh and Fairley will embarrass this season.

12. hanklee1989 says: Sep 13, 2013 10:12 AM

Matt Kalil is the least of my worries right now. Our linebackers looked terrible against Detroit, and our DTs couldn’t get any pressure inside.

13. aaronfraudgers says: Sep 13, 2013 10:12 AM

Even last year when Kalil’s pass protection was lights out, he struggled mightily against Julius Peppers. With his struggles so far this year, I don’t see his play turning around this week. I hope I’m wrong, but if I’m Musgrave, I’m gonna be calling plenty of play-action bootlegs to the right.

14. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Sep 13, 2013 10:13 AM

Now, is this the same offensive line that magicalrick said would lead AD to 2500 yards? Because in all honesty, they look pretty bad.

15. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Sep 13, 2013 10:14 AM

Now is this the same offensive line that magicalrick said would lead AD to 2500 yards? Because in all honesty, they look pretty bad…

16. jonnyfootball82 says: Sep 13, 2013 10:17 AM

He’s in it to win it

17. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Sep 13, 2013 10:23 AM

People are ripping Ponder but Ponder would have played a lot better if Kalil would have given him some time to throw and would have opened some holes in the running game. There’s no excuse for that level of play from a supposedly elite player.

18. purpleguy says: Sep 13, 2013 10:38 AM

The only thing he should be freaked out about is our lousy QB and MLB — that and the future girlish slapfights that Clay Mathews likely will start when the Vikes play Green Bay.

19. trollsetter says: Sep 13, 2013 10:42 AM

Ponder is terrible. Whether he has a pocket to throw or not. He doesn’t pass the eye test. 28 starts is more than enough time to evaluate him. He’s reached his ceiling. Sheesh, how much longer are they going to wait on his potential?

20. 52lightsxout52 says: Sep 13, 2013 10:51 AM

21. fwippel says: Sep 13, 2013 11:00 AM

Kalil had better get up to speed fast, otherwise his QB is going to be eating grass this Sunday.

The problem with the Vikings (at least based on last Sunday’s game) starts with the OL and DL. If you can’t run, and you can’t even slow down the opposition’s running game, you’re finished. The Vikings may end up regretting their decision to pass on signing Brian Urlacher.

22. larjones64 says: Sep 13, 2013 11:01 AM

Not quite 52, Kalil was 280 lbs at the end of last season due to pneumonia. He was 311 in training camp this year.

23. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Sep 13, 2013 11:08 AM

Vikes fans should be worried about pretty much every position except running back.
    You guys sure were talking a lot of trash before last Sunday’s game. Hopefully you’ve been humbled a bit since then.

24. chillyball says: Sep 13, 2013 11:18 AM

“I’m not freaked out by one country.”

–Neville Chamberlin, after Germany annexed Austria.

25. Purple Nights says: Sep 13, 2013 11:21 AM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says:Sep 13, 2013 10:23 AM

————

Is that you, Christian?

26. valhallarising says: Sep 13, 2013 11:25 AM

52lightsxout52 says: Sep 13, 2013 10:51 AM

“He looks a bit trimmed-down this year, must be off the PED’s now. Tony Mandarich 2.0″

I think Kalil has already had a better career than Tony Mandarich…

27. longcutskolvikes says: Sep 13, 2013 11:37 AM

And… Kalil actualy has put on more muscle than last year. He’s heavier, and in better shape. Wouldn’t that suggest more PED’s?

28. purpwalk says: Sep 13, 2013 11:49 AM

put in mbt and see how much better the team plays

29. longcutskolvikes says: Sep 13, 2013 12:35 PM

John Balthazaar McLeod Bethel Thompson has a great arm, but be honest. That dude couldn’t start for the Montreal Allouettes. I sincerely hope that somehow, against all odds, Ponder can put things together and be the dude. It’s probably not going to happen, but if this team has to start Cassel behind an under-performing offensive line they’re finished. If it get’s to Balthazaar, forget it, we’ll be talking about Jadaveon Clowney and Teddy Bridgewater.

30. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Sep 13, 2013 12:40 PM

purpwalk says:Sep 13, 2013 11:49 AM

put in mbt and see how much better the team plays
    ________

I’m sure you said the same thing last year about Joe Webb.

31. whatjusthapped says: Sep 13, 2013 1:09 PM

It looks like panic has set in already and the season is only one game old. Ok, Kalil didn’t have one of his better games but it was so hard to tell given the vast majority of players who decided to take last Sunday off.

Ponder is going to catch hell with every Viking loss this season whether he deserves it or not, but you can’t say he played well either. When you spend millions on a FA WR, you’d expect more than a couple of catches. The defense looked confused or Reggie Bush has vastly improved, my bet is its on the Vikings defense.

For all the off season Superbowl talk, it looks like the playoffs are a stretch.

32. Purple Nights says: Sep 13, 2013 1:13 PM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says:Sep 13, 2013 12:40 PM

purpwalk says:Sep 13, 2013 11:49 AM

put in mbt and see how much better the team plays
    ________

I’m sure you said the same thing last year about Joe Webb

——-

I’m sure he did. And why not? Either is a better option than Ponder. Well, maybe not Webb, but still.

33. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Sep 13, 2013 1:19 PM

Week 2, you Vike fans are already talking about who you’ll take in the draft. Love it!

34. jimboinlimbo says: Sep 13, 2013 2:21 PM

The Vikes didn’t look good against a Detroit team that LAST YEAR underachieved a great deal.

However, the Lions D-line is much improved over last season and yes, Reggie Bush is perfect for their offense. Bottom line is the Vikings are no slouch and the Lions are far better than ANY Bear, Viking or Packer fan wants to let themselves believe.

If the Kaepernick/Boldin combo destroyed Green Bay’s defense last week, think of what Megatron and Stafford will do. Say nothing about AJ Hawk trying to get even one hand on Reggie.

35. GenXJay says: Sep 13, 2013 2:22 PM

listen to all the gb trolling going on!
    Try bringing some knuckles to those comments cheeseheads!

36. brewdogg says: Sep 13, 2013 2:23 PM

Yup, that’s right carl, one post saying that if the Vikings are playing the 3rd-string QB we’ll be talking about the draft. I understand that packer fans don’t get excited over the draft, since invariably the first round pick spends the season in street clothes…. Although, since you did bring it up, I guarantee that two of the Packers first three picks will be WRs.

37. 52lightsxout52 says: Sep 13, 2013 4:25 PM

GenXJay says: Sep 13, 2013 2:22 PM

listen to all the gb trolling going on!
    Try bringing some knuckles to those comments cheeseheads!

_______________________________

“Try bringing some knuckles” I thumbed you up for that one. LOL! :-D

38. teamnorsecore says: Sep 13, 2013 5:49 PM

Pack fans……isn’t your squad 0-1 as well? Just curious because you sure are all doomy and gloomy on Vikings news……not that is any different than usual I guess.

39. johnsticle says: Sep 13, 2013 9:45 PM

Even though his play was sub-par, I’d say him looking like he wasn’t even there was a bigger problem IMO. Same thing we went through with his predecessor, McKinnie.

40. 52lightsxout52 says: Sep 14, 2013 10:45 AM

teamnorsecore says: Sep 13, 2013 5:49 PM

___________________________________

Yes norsecore, you are correct. The difference is that your Vikes lost against a mistake prone Lions team that basically stumbled into a win, while Green Bay lost a tight one against a quality opponent. Although at the end of the day, a loss is still a loss, no matter the opponent…