Rex Ryan on Dee Milliner remaining a starter: I don’t know

New York Jets v New England Patriots Getty Images

The Jets installed first-round pick Dee Milliner as a starting cornerback pretty much immediately after he signed his rookie deal even though he missed all of minicamp rehabbing his surgically repaired shoulder.

That missed time may be affecting Milliner in his transition to the NFL because he followed up a mediocre opening game against Tampa with one poor enough to land him on the bench after 37 snaps against the Patriots. Coach Rex Ryan said after the game that he still believes that Milliner will be a “tremendous player,” but on Friday he wouldn’t say whether or not Milliner would reclaim the starting job any time soon.

“I don’t know. We’ll see,” Ryan said, via Seth Walder of the New York Daily News. “The young man, like I said before, it’s unfortunate that he missed so much work. All of minicamp rehabbing the shoulder surgery. He missed a lot of training camp as well, so we kind of just threw him into the fire.”

Darrin Walls and Kyle Wilson filled in for Milliner on Thursday night with Walls breaking up a couple of the passes that didn’t get thrown to Julian Edelman or dropped by other Patriots receivers. Wilson’s best suited for the slot, so Walls could get the call if the Jets decide they want Milliner to do more watching and less playing in the immediate future.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Rex Ryan on Dee Milliner remaining a starter: I don’t know”
  1. thegreatgabbert says: Sep 13, 2013 3:08 PM

“Don’t ask me”, shrugged Rex, “I just work here.”. Then he went back to reading the graphic novel and eating his bagged lunch.

2. ninerswilldominatelikebefore says: Sep 13, 2013 3:10 PM

dont get your hopes up jets fans, 2-14 0r 3-13. With the 2nd pick in the 2014 NFL draft the New York Jets select Johnny “Football” “rich boy” manziel ahahaha

3. thepftpoet says: Sep 13, 2013 3:10 PM

Everyone on Rex Ryan remaining a head coach: No

4. detectivejimmymcnulty says: Sep 13, 2013 3:22 PM

The Jets were in a perfect position to trade back and stockpile picks this year. They need talent everywhere. For some reason they didn’t.

5. thebigtim2012 says: Sep 13, 2013 3:24 PM

If the jets select johnny “look at me” football that will prove they have learned nothing from Rex Ryan’s tenure.

6. cheffyglenn says: Sep 13, 2013 3:30 PM

I’m no Jets fan at all, but they lost to NE by three points with a horrible QB. So either NE is just as bad and should then be mentioned also or the Jets are better than everyone thought if NE is any good. One positive note their was no butt fumble just 3 costly interceptions.

7. jcmeyer10 says: Sep 13, 2013 3:40 PM

Rex Ryan is going to be so checked out in six weeks he be acting like Scruffy the janitor from Futurama.

8. mrbigass says: Sep 13, 2013 3:53 PM

I think DB is harder than QB for a rookie. You see lots of QB’s in their first year do well but how many first year DB’s have had any success?

I think it takes awhile for those guys to make the transition…….

9. zipnyc says: Sep 13, 2013 4:19 PM

cheffyglenn says: Sep 13, 2013 3:30 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not to mention they held them to 13 points, shut them out in the 2nd half – and all on the road in Foxboro! Not too shabby in my opinion.

10. monropoobah says: Sep 18, 2013 4:21 AM

agreed. so they may not suck as bad as we all thought. historically, the jets do best with low expectations