Terrelle Pryor says he has no leash

Pryor Getty Images

Earlier this week, we pointed out that Raiders quarterback Terrelle Pryor could be the real deal.  Raiders quarterback Terrelle Pryor apparently feels the same way.

In an interview that will air later today on NBCSN’s Pro Football Talk, Pryor is asked about the length of his leash, given that Matt Flynn was the presumed starter throughout the preseason.

“Leash?” Pryor says.  “I’m just going to make plays.  There doesn’t have to be a leash. I’m here to win games and work harder than anyone in the NFL and there ain’t a leash in that.  But I’m just going to go out and make plays and there will be no leash, I don’t believe there’s going to be a leash.”

Actually, it’s good that Pryor isn’t determining the length of his own leash, because he’s still not happy with how he played on Sunday.

“I grade myself very hard,” Pryor says.  “I critique myself, I’m my worst critic.  It’s unacceptable to have two turnovers.  I pride myself not to do that and anytime you have interceptions and you lose a game, yeah, I give myself a bad grade.”

Still, Pryor sees the overall outcome as positive, despite the loss.

“I think the thing we did well was, we came together as a team and we fought,” Pryor says.  “We were down 14 and not one second went by that we, the offense and the defense, didn’t think that we could have still won the game.  I kept on telling the guys, you know, ‘We’re going to win this game,’ and guys believe so that’s what I’m proud about.”

The Raiders indeed showed tremendous resolve after giving up touchdowns on each of the Colts’ opening drives.  Oakland chipped away and took the lead late before the Colts regained it.  Even then, Pryor and company came within a few feet of stealing the win.

The interview is within a few hours of being televised.  Dial up NBCSN at 5:30 p.m. ET for the show, which also includes an interview with Broncos receiver Eric Decker, and Peter King in studio with Erik Kuselias.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Jacksonville Jaguars, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
46 Responses to “Terrelle Pryor says he has no leash”
  1. drone501 says: Sep 13, 2013 2:53 PM

just let this kids natural talent take hold. he will be a future pro bowler.

2. bmorepositive123 says: Sep 13, 2013 2:54 PM

I really like this guys attitude…

3. blacknole08 says: Sep 13, 2013 2:55 PM

Wow… I’m loving Pryor’s confidence and resolve. And quite honestly I don’t think Matt Flynn could fire up his team like this.

4. swaggyy says: Sep 13, 2013 2:57 PM

If it was the late 1800s he would

5. atleastimnotaraidersfan says: Sep 13, 2013 2:57 PM

As a Broncos fan and Raider hater, this kid kinda worries me. I have to admit I was surprised by his performance against the colts.

6. bombayjon says: Sep 13, 2013 2:58 PM

Lead us to the promise land, TP!!

7. scaredhitless says: Sep 13, 2013 2:58 PM

Matt Flynn turned one game against the hapless Lions into mega millions. Merica!

8. therealraider says: Sep 13, 2013 2:59 PM

blacknole08 says:
    Sep 13, 2013 2:55 PM

———————————————————-

I don’t think Matt Flynn could fire himself up.

9. Captain Chaos says: Sep 13, 2013 2:59 PM

He is giving the Raiders the greatest chance to win given the current state of the team. You cant have a pocket passer when the line can’t hold a pocket. You need a fast, sturdy, QB with a really good attitude and the ability to lead. That is what Pryor is making himself out to be.

10. humb0lt says: Sep 13, 2013 3:00 PM

Pryor will be benched by Week 5 after the Raiders start 1-4.

11. jiveturkeygobbler says: Sep 13, 2013 3:05 PM

As soon as he finds success, everyone will not pick the most mundane things to tear him apart for. Enjoy being an underdog Mr. Pryor, hope you have a great career- I’m a Michigan man.

12. radrntn says: Sep 13, 2013 3:05 PM

one game at a time….and don’t under estimate the jags… GO RAIDERS!

13. jbaxt says: Sep 13, 2013 3:05 PM

I’ll take the Jags over the hapless faidets. Richards a one trick pony, no o-line, and it’s the raiders, they have no chance of being good.

14. jiveturkeygobbler says: Sep 13, 2013 3:05 PM

As soon as he finds success, everyone will pick the most mundane things to tear him apart for. Enjoy being an underdog Mr. Pryor, hope you have a great career- I’m a Michigan man.

15. thestrategyexpert says: Sep 13, 2013 3:06 PM

It is refreshing to see a QB not be in denial about his mistakes. There is hope for him to accomplish what he is setting out to do and if he’s really that kind of hard worker and committed to finding ways to eliminate mistakes, then that’s an exciting proposition to see what he can develop into this year.

16. howiehandles says: Sep 13, 2013 3:15 PM

Obviously my job doesn’t depend on how Pryor does in his role as QB, but if I’m secure in my position with their team I’d let this kid play the entire year. Let him learn through experience. He certainly has much more upside than Flynn, who should thank his lucky stars for that one game vs Detroit setting up his grand kids for life.

17. marinraider says: Sep 13, 2013 3:16 PM

humb0lt says:
    Sep 13, 2013 3:00 PM
    Pryor will be benched by Week 5 after the Raiders start 1-4.

++++
    Humbolt:

(1) Raiders have a very good shot to go 3-2 through first 5 games. RGIII is not the same player and Skins and Bolts both beatable. If they can get by Jags and play hard against Broncos in spotlight game, Raiders could be on path to credibility again.
    (2) Assuming you were right about 1-4 start, if they’re playing hard and losing close games, TP still gives team better shot to score points and move ball and don’t see DA switching to Flynn, particularly with rotational LT situation and Flynn’s lack of mobility. Flynn has no upside. Sky’s the limit for TP and he needs time to play through it.

18. ninerswilldominatelikebefore says: Sep 13, 2013 3:19 PM

TP2?? toilet paper 2 ply! hahaha.

In conclusion..”we now begin the 2014 nfl draft, Los Angeles raiders you’re on the clock…”

19. jaykubs says: Sep 13, 2013 3:23 PM

I’m no Ohio State fan, and I’m certainly not a Raiders fan, so naturally I’m predisposed to hate Pryor. That said, him saying “I’m here to win games and work harder than anyone in the NFL and there ain’t a leash in that.”… is pretty damn gangster.

20. honkeyt says: Sep 13, 2013 3:24 PM

Massive upside. Keep working, Kid.

21. thatstinks says: Sep 13, 2013 3:24 PM

I’m going to stay guardedly optimistic . I’m really glad our opponent is Jacksonville . We really need a win and if we don’t get one this week will know what we have . Like I said I’m guardedly optimistic . Go Raiders !!

22. r8dernation says: Sep 13, 2013 3:33 PM

Since we’re rebuilding, and will be around $70 million under the cap next year, I will be fine only winning 1 game this season. I want them to do well, but i would rather take another year off, get a good draft pick, sign some decent free agents and kick some tail next year. This is the perfect situation for Pryor to cut his teeth and learn to play lights out. It worked out pretty well for P. Manning. I’m not comparing Pryor to him, just saying the kid needs time to grow on the field and develop a bond with his receivers, just like every QB. You don’t get that riding the pine.

23. Dennis Allen's Outgoing Persona says: Sep 13, 2013 3:39 PM

ninerswilldominatelikebefore says:
    Sep 13, 2013 3:19 PM
    TP2?? toilet paper 2 ply! hahaha.

———
    just.. no… stop.

Ladies and Gentleman that don’t live in the bay area, that’s how 49er fans are. Be thankful you’re not one of them.

24. dumbolt says: Sep 13, 2013 3:49 PM

humb0lt says:
    Sep 13, 2013 3:00 PM
    after the Raiders start 1-4.

– – – – – – – – – – – – –

choo choo!!! derailed again after a 21 point lead… a Philip Rivers will lead you exactly where he has led you in the past….right off your train tracks Super bowl express.

25. chapstickmary says: Sep 13, 2013 3:55 PM

I’m surprised no one finds the talk of “leashing”a player to be offensive to the delicate sensibilities that are springing up everywhere.

26. braceyourselffor12 says: Sep 13, 2013 3:59 PM

@ Dennis Allen’s Outgoing Persona

Don’t judge all Niner fans based on one guys lame comment. I know it’s unthinkable for most in our camps to ever root for the other side of the Bay but I do.

I like what I saw from Pryor last Sunday and honestly thought they were going to pull out a win, still he has a lot of potential and that only be encouraging for Oakland after years of abysmal play.

I’d love to see the day return when both the Red & Gold and Silver & Black were elite teams. Hopefully Pryor can ignite that.

P.S Awesome screen name.

27. frankiemontana says: Sep 13, 2013 4:00 PM

humb0lt says: Sep 13, 2013 3:00 PM

Pryor will be benched by Week 5 after the Raiders start 1-4.
    well, well,look who came back and started talking smack again, glad to see that the debacle from Monday night didn’t stop you from smack talking the raiders , at least TP is not as predictable as oh wait we lost another won after we had the lead Rivers..

28. souldogdave says: Sep 13, 2013 4:12 PM

Humdolt still has the old van and ugly girlfriend. Trolls every Raider article/blog to talk trash. Loser just like the Chargers.

29. tombradyswig says: Sep 13, 2013 4:13 PM

I’ll give it to him, he’s fairly good….
    matt flynn must just plain suck!

30. ninerswilldominatelikebefore says: Sep 13, 2013 4:14 PM

dennisallenwillgetcannedthis year

dont be fooled the dump nation is the most ignorant fanbase..I love it when i get in discussions with raider fans most od the time they don’t even know much about their team let alone the rest of the leaugue..#gobacktola

31. donth8thehorns says: Sep 13, 2013 4:17 PM

Best thing that could happen for the Jags, Vikes, browns…. For Pryor and Geno to show they are NFL QBs…. That would eliminate 2 teams from the “get ready for Teddy” sweepstakes…… The kid looks to be legit!

32. johnnyjagfan says: Sep 13, 2013 4:37 PM

I like his answer because it wasn’t a football answer-it was a team answer. “We came together and fought”. It’s buy-in. You can’t win if you don’t work as a team and believe you can win.

33. 4thquartermagic says: Sep 13, 2013 5:28 PM

Terrel Pryor is on a leash… so should most Raiders be.

34. blackbeard43 says: Sep 13, 2013 5:35 PM

please don’t feed the trolls.

35. phelbin says: Sep 13, 2013 5:42 PM

I had TP pegged as a college superstar who didn’t have the mental makeup or work ethic to make the jump to the next level — too talented for his own good. Maybe I was wrong.

36. r8rsfan says: Sep 13, 2013 5:46 PM

To the Chargers trolls let’s look at last weeks games. TP2 was poised, focused and mentally tough to the end. Phyllis was none of those things and it cost them a win at home. And for a Niners fan to spend time posting 3rd grade name calling rather than celebrating a quality win over the Packers is silly.

Just Win TP2.

37. war27 says: Sep 13, 2013 5:50 PM

He’s like Bruce Gradkowski but with real speed, a decent arm and the size to be great.

38. raideralex says: Sep 13, 2013 6:06 PM

Fear not, this is exactly what Pryor did in Ohio State in big games.

Vs Miami, USC, Penn State, Iowa, and Wisconsin…

Pryor threw for more INTs than TDs and hovered a little under to a little over 50% completions.

Vs the Colts? 2 INTs, 1 TD, 1 for 7 on throws beyond 10 yards.

Decision-making has always been his Achilles heel, and despite all the flash from running well last Sunday, he still threw 2 incredible end-zone interceptions where he seemingly didn’t even see the safety.

And I’m a Raider fan :(

39. cospgsmadman says: Sep 13, 2013 6:18 PM

Broncos fan here, I thought they should have put Pryor in last year. Anything is an improvement to those jokers that have been there lately. I will root for this kid except twice a year.

40. u4iadman says: Sep 13, 2013 6:18 PM

Neither does Vick anymore.

41. jchuber says: Sep 13, 2013 6:31 PM

Running and scrambling QB generally don’t last very long in NFL. They generally get hurt. If you doubt this fact, please name one successful QB who usually has more yards than his running back?

Some of your folks are just fooling yourselves, but there is no short cuts to building a successful
    dynasty!

42. stew48 says: Sep 13, 2013 6:31 PM

There is a three way tie for the NFL teams I dislike the most—Raiders, Cowboys and Ravens. Maybe the Raiders get a modest edge due to the length of the dislike. However, count me on board for Pryor to succeed. If so, just think of all the experts, real and self-described, who will not be able to handle all of the crow due them. And, for him to get a plus from a Michigan fan is just unbelievable.

43. immafubared says: Sep 13, 2013 6:38 PM

ANd when does he learn how to pass? He has proved nothing except he can’t find the open man and seems to have to run for it. Cam Newton is the same, its all about them. They want to make the plays. Often a receiver is open and they ignore it in order to take off.

44. slick50ks says: Sep 13, 2013 7:53 PM

Hilarious. If it takes a decent defense more than 10 minutes to figure this guy out I’ll eat my own hat. Just make him throw. Ballgame!

45. doublezero74 says: Sep 13, 2013 8:26 PM

This guy seems like a winner

46. bucs24 says: Sep 13, 2013 11:04 PM