Vick Ballard out for the season with knee injury

Vick Ballard, Tracy Porter AP

The Colts brought running back Ahmad Bradshaw in this offseason to add some competition and depth.

Now, he is the Colts running game.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, Colts running back Vick Ballard is out for the season after suffering a knee injury in practice Thursday.

Ballard was listed on the injury report yesterday as being limited, which apparently covers the part of practice before he suffered the season-ending injury.

He had 63 yards on 13 carries last week, and the Colts were hoping to split carries between him and Bradshaw throughout the year. Now, former first-rounder Donald Brown is back in the mix.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Vick Ballard out for the season with knee injury”
  1. s0merand0mguy says: Sep 13, 2013 12:38 PM

I seen “Vick” and it scared the living hell out of me.

2. deidunx says: Sep 13, 2013 12:42 PM

Darn!!! Most durable RB out for the season? Now we are left with Bradshaw and Brown? Looks bleak.

3. cajunaise says: Sep 13, 2013 12:43 PM

Well, this either sets Bradshaw up for becoming one of the great comeback stories of the year, Donald Brown as one of the great surprises of the year…or returns the Colts to their 2012 running game, which was just a little better than Peyton Manning’s entire scrambling career.

4. thegreatgabbert says: Sep 13, 2013 12:45 PM

Doctor says Ballard is dog food.

5. Patskrieg dot com says: Sep 13, 2013 12:51 PM

INB4 the “this will finally be Donald Brown’s breakout year now” comments start coming in.

6. cornellsteelers says: Sep 13, 2013 12:52 PM

Suddenly having Bradshaw on my team doesn’t seem like my worst roster move anymore.

7. mastermind2514 says: Sep 13, 2013 12:52 PM

This is a big blow for the Colts.. Ballard is very underrated.

8. 12444uggg says: Sep 13, 2013 12:52 PM

Man, that stinks. In practice, practice!

9. kepdogg23 says: Sep 13, 2013 12:53 PM

Ouch, hopefully Bradshaw is healthy!!

10. jimmycover says: Sep 13, 2013 12:55 PM

Did his teammate get fined $100,000 for possibly ending his career?

11. dynasonic says: Sep 13, 2013 12:56 PM

Balls…. He looked decent in helping pick up the pass rush in game 1 and we are going to need some serious help in that department against Cameron Wake and the Miami front line on Sunday.

12. sarcasm says: Sep 13, 2013 12:58 PM

Hate it for him. He seemed like a good kid.

It’s a good thing they signed Barry Sanders(or so a lot of their fans want to say).

13. therealbleedcoltsblue says: Sep 13, 2013 12:58 PM

This is just FRICKING GREAT.

Alright Kerwynn Williams.. show us you belong.

14. madmax80 says: Sep 13, 2013 1:09 PM

I’m not buying this until Irsay tweets about it.

Please, Jim, tell us which esoteric Tom Petty lyrics most appropriately capture the moment.

Oh well, I guess we will have to wait until 3PM when he is drunk to find out.

15. jimfix says: Sep 13, 2013 1:09 PM

Man, this sucks a lot. He seemed ready to have a breakout year, plus Bradshaw didn’t look too great last week. I guess Donald Brown gets his tenth opportunity to prove he isn’t an NFL runningback…

16. gettingpwned says: Sep 13, 2013 1:10 PM

Assuming McGahee is healthy, they should kick his tires & see what he’s got left.

17. breakingb says: Sep 13, 2013 1:25 PM

Saints will trade Mark Ingram for a draft pick or a linebacker.

18. bwelshoff says: Sep 13, 2013 1:36 PM

Ballard is probably one of the more underrated players. The Colts haven’t really had a dominant rushing attack since James, and I guess if you want to include Addai for a few games their Superbowl season, but he was more a product of Peyton Manning’s passing attack. I’m not saying Ballard would have been Marshall Faulk, but at least he picked up blitzes and could run between the tackles. He was already slow and relied on technique prior to this injury, and I doubt he’ll be anything special after this. Tough blow for the Colts. Big opportunity for Bradshaw, but his nagging injuries make me question whether or not the Colts should sign a veteran like McGahee, assuming he has anything left in the tank. Donald Brown will be able to prove he is capable, but his track record says otherwise. Look for Luck to attempt the most passes of his career now.

19. zeedoubleyou says: Sep 13, 2013 1:57 PM

thegreatgabbert

The only thing worth discussing about the Jags is whether Gabbert or Ponder is the worst starting QB in the league. Know your role.

20. MyTeamsAllStink says: Sep 13, 2013 2:20 PM

I swear to god I had just added him to my fantasy football team.Holy smokes!!

21. afcdomination says: Sep 13, 2013 3:09 PM

really bummed. not a colts fan or anything, but I liked watching his rise as a back in this league. sucks for him too as a person, its just not fun.

best wishes in rehab

22. richardmswartz says: Sep 13, 2013 4:05 PM

s0merand0mguy says:
    Sep 13, 2013 12:38 PM
    I seen “Vick” and it scared the living hell out of me.

___________________________

I thought the exact same thing.

23. redbearwoodall says: Sep 13, 2013 4:25 PM

They need to let Kerwynn Williams play. I’m from Utah, and last year I got to see him run all over every team USU played. The kid can run, let him show his stuff.

24. 8to80texansblog says: Sep 13, 2013 4:47 PM

Looks like Ridley is going to the bench and Bradshaw moving to Flex.

25. adx321 says: Sep 13, 2013 5:29 PM

ACL’s are childs play now – get well Vick and come back hungry next year

And this just in… nobody needs a running game in todays NFL – the quick bubble screen and slants have become the modern run

26. ddogdaddy says: Sep 13, 2013 6:57 PM

The good news for teams playing the Colts is Ballard is out for the season. It hurts their running game bad.

The bad news for teams playing the Colts is Ballard is out for the season. More Andrew Luck to T.Y. Hilton slants and screens.