Washington Post again calls for Snyder to change team’s name

Snyder Getty Images

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder has said he’ll never change the name of the team.  And so, as the Washington Post points out in a new editorial, the controversy will never end.

That’s the reality zealous defenders of the name ignore.  As time passes, people won’t become numb to the offensive nature of the name.  Instead, more people will wake up to the reality that a word that would never be used as anything other than the name of a football team shouldn’t be used as the name of a football team, either.

And so the Post once again has called for Snyder to abandon a term that is “so offensive that it should no longer be tolerated.”

In recently explaining that the league must listen to dissenters even if only one person is offended, Commissioner Roger Goodell pointed out that, in the end, the decision lies with Daniel Snyder.  Goodell is right, but there’s nothing stopping the NFL from giving Snyder a firm nudge.

Actually, Goodell’s recent comments could be interpreted as just such a nudge.

The league surely prefers that Snyder will change the name on his own, voluntarily and freely and without kicking and/or screaming.  Any strong-arm tactics by the league will be met with harsh reaction from Redskins fans, who may opt out of following pro football altogether rather than buy in for a name change.  If/when a name change occurs, the team’s owner will have to embrace it and advocate it.

That’s what makes Snyder’s vow to never change the name unfortunate.  He already has locked in to his position, and he won’t be inclined to change it.  Unless, of course, he can leverage giving up the name into getting D.C. in the Super Bowl rotation.

While there’s no indication that any deal-making of that kind could occur, Snyder would surely need some concessions from the league if he’s ever going to surrender to the inevitable push from the league office and/or other owners to get rid of the name.

Permalink 83 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
83 Responses to “Washington Post again calls for Snyder to change team’s name”
  1. floratiotime says: Sep 13, 2013 1:52 PM

Their fight song used to say, “fight for old Dixie” … they were THE last team to allow black players (1962) … what rational person could expect them to change their name just because some minority doesn’t like it ?

2. icanspeel says: Sep 13, 2013 1:52 PM

Why after so many years are people making it a point to get the Redskins to change their name? It’s not like they just became the Redskins.

3. delmonte55 says: Sep 13, 2013 1:53 PM

Thanks for the daily post on this issue.

4. 07myvickinabox07 says: Sep 13, 2013 1:53 PM

What about the Washington Tomahawks or Washington Indians. Problem solved and you wont have to change all the uniforms.

5. delmonte55 says: Sep 13, 2013 1:54 PM

And for being the reason the controversy will never end.

6. honkeyt says: Sep 13, 2013 1:54 PM

Don’t do it, Dan.

7. buccaneerjeremy says: Sep 13, 2013 1:55 PM

To hear you (PFT) this is a Hot Button issue. I hardly ever hear anyone (in print, internet, or television) say anything about this subject. This “cause” has become this sites Syria, IRS, or whatever scandal you can think of where the media decides what’s important to the masses. The more the agenda is pushed upon the population, the more they will just accept it as it becomes a normal daily event.
    Just like everything else in life, you don’t like it walk away, turn off the television, or ignore it. That’s a basic right we have. I hope Snyder never changes the name just because I wouldn’t know what to do with myself without seeing this nine story be a story to the political correctness people out there.

8. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Sep 13, 2013 1:58 PM

I’m a very liberal person and I hope that they never change their name. Enough of this pc garbage. They have been called the Redskins since 1932 and their franchise has a lot of history with that name.
    I honestly don’t think that too many people imagine a bunch of savage Native Americans going around scalping people when the name is brought up. I think that most people just associate it with the name of a football team.

9. charge1 says: Sep 13, 2013 2:00 PM

The Washington

wizards – taken
    Capitals-taken
    Nationals-taken
    United-taken
    How about “the bullets” that has a nice ring to it

10. revskip says: Sep 13, 2013 2:01 PM

icanspeel says: Sep 13, 2013 1:52 PM

—————————————————————

People have been asking for the name to change for a long, long time particularly native groups. The controversy is finally coming to a head after being ignored by the media for a long time. One only needs to think back to the protests outside the Super Bowl in 92 to realize that this isn’t some brand new issue. The fact that the team from Washington was not really competitive the past decade or so pushed the issue to the back page, now that they are somewhat relevant again it is boiling back up.

Just change the name already.

11. thesportgenius says: Sep 13, 2013 2:05 PM

In honor of all the politicians and lawyers they should be re-named the Washington Evil.

12. wvjeepman says: Sep 13, 2013 2:07 PM

Pardon me… Fight for old DC not Hail. #HTTR

13. devildog911 says: Sep 13, 2013 2:08 PM

Washington Irrelevant…

14. acdc84 says: Sep 13, 2013 2:09 PM

The more “controversial” the name gets, the more I hope Snyder digs in his heals and never changes it. If he ever sells the team he should include a clause that the new owner can’t change it either.

If any Washington team needs a name change it’s the NBA franchise. Bring back the Bullets!!

15. josh4519 says: Sep 13, 2013 2:10 PM

It’s funny because the term ‘Redskin’ was t actually found to be offensive until all the white people decided it was.

16. Chase says: Sep 13, 2013 2:12 PM

I’m not necessarily sure how i feel about the name, but what bothers me is all these posts saying that being politically correct is wrong. Uh, this is america, with a lot of “different” people. Shouldn’t everyone feel comfortable in their own country? Obviously the people against being politically correct are white men who have never seen any real discrimination in their life. I’m not sure if this name is necessarily politically incorrect, but enough with blasting those who think it is until you walk a mile in their shoes…

17. sellout1983 says: Sep 13, 2013 2:13 PM

Love how people are just now starting to take a stand and act pyous in opposition to the Redskins name. Yet, used it freely up until now.

18. facetious0ne says: Sep 13, 2013 2:14 PM

If I didn’t know any better, The media is trying to bully them into changing the name. Like anything else in the sports world, its not as big of a deal as you may want your readers to think it is. Keep pushing these articles, I hope Dan Snyder sticks to his guns on this issue.. Not even a Skins fan

19. east96st says: Sep 13, 2013 2:14 PM

The fact that this is happening to an owner who screams “anti-antisemitism” every time the press points out his shady business dealings is beyond delightful.

20. seanb20124 says: Sep 13, 2013 2:14 PM

Why not a referendum on this issue? Put it on the ballot in the DMV.

21. spydey629 says: Sep 13, 2013 2:14 PM

@revskip:

So the moral of the story is that if the Redskins stink, no one cares?

It’s the fact that no one has bothered to realize that the name refers back to the good folks in Boston who literally painted their skin red (to pose as Native Americans) to throw tea into the Boston Harbor in protest of the Tea Tax – with the original team name being the Boston Redskins.

The name has lost its meaning over the years in more ways than one. But hey, if we have to change it, let’s make it the “Washington Tea Partiers” so it keeps the lonstanding tradition of both the Boston Tea Party and liberals hating it whatever the DC NFL Franchise is nicknamed.

22. delmonte55 says: Sep 13, 2013 2:15 PM

___________________________________

Only in your opinion is it unfortunate.

23. mrbigass says: Sep 13, 2013 2:16 PM

Sick and tired of bein’ sick and tired of this PC crap.

If we acquiesce to everyone, or as Roger put it “one person” it will be never ending and borders on the ridiculous.

We need to draw the line and say enough is enough. I doubt seriously any Native Americans are losing any sleep over it…….

24. east96st says: Sep 13, 2013 2:16 PM

Auto correct got me on the “anti-antisemitism”. Should – obviously – just be antisemitism.

25. ttommytom says: Sep 13, 2013 2:16 PM

The name has been offensive since the beginning.

I understand people not wanting to change their beloved team’s name. But it just shouldn’t be.

Snyder will go down in history as a buffoon either way. At least he can get a shot at respect.

26. MyTeamsAllStink says: Sep 13, 2013 2:19 PM

Washington Corruptions
    Washington Taxdollars
    Washington Cracksmokingmayors
    Washington Obamacares

27. jjb0811 says: Sep 13, 2013 2:20 PM

Having a great relationship with my 92 grandmother, mother, wife and daughter; I’m offended by the name Cowboys. Its doesn’t represent women living in American society. Please tell Roger to have them change the name on my behalf. Thanks

28. freebird2011 says: Sep 13, 2013 2:26 PM

Perhaps, they could start the process of change by changing the helmets back to the ones with the arrows or spears on them. Those were cool looking and better than what they have now.

In terms of a name change, the Washington Warriors rolls off the tongue quite nicely and, quite frankly, would give the team a whole new round of marketing opportunities as people buy the old stuff for nostalgic reasons and buy the new stuff to keep up to date.

I’m a little surprised that Snyder doesn’t see the business and financial opportunities inherent in making some changes. As a successful businessman and entrepreneur, one would think he would know better.

29. massappeal12345 says: Sep 13, 2013 2:28 PM

Massachusetts has an elected Indian in the Senate who has remained silent on the issue.

It must not bother her.

30. goodforthegander5 says: Sep 13, 2013 2:28 PM

Washington Hogs baby!
    -tribute to the glory years of the franchise
    -Return of the Hogettes on gameday
    -greedy politicians

31. vbe2 says: Sep 13, 2013 2:30 PM

I call for the Washington Post to go out of business…

32. shlort says: Sep 13, 2013 2:30 PM

The liberal media is sure making a push for Snyder to reconsider the name of his football team. After all, the name and the team belong to Snyder, and it is all up to his discretion if the name should remain, or be changed.

Here is the thing. Not only are those few white folks whining about the name Redskins, it is a small group within the Native community that are raising a stink about it. Of course there are some Natives who are searching for a way to get Snyder into court over this and maybe bank some cash over it. That is the only reason anyone does anything anymore in this country, to get paid off.

How about this. If you don’t like the Redskins name, stop watching the games, stop going to the games, and stop buying the gear. Lets have that be the deciding factor, as it should be. If Snyder notices a decline in his income over the name, he will change it. My money is on the impact of sales of tickets, mechandise and viewership will not amount to much if those offended stop participating.

I guess the only thing that can be done is have a few people whine about it long enough to get a few more people whining about it, until people get sick of hearing the whinig about it and someone changes something to stop the whining about it.

33. honkeyt says: Sep 13, 2013 2:30 PM

I have realized that MOST of the people who are against this name are white people. They are using this as their soap box to say “Hey look at me! I’m not a racist. Now I can go home and look in the mirror and tell myself that I am a good person and feel good about myself”

34. jjb0811 says: Sep 13, 2013 2:33 PM

After just going through the 12th anniversary of 9/11, I’m appalled that a NY based team would have audacity to use the name JETS after close to 3,000 people died on that horrific name. Have them submit for a new name as well.

35. steelerben says: Sep 13, 2013 2:34 PM

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: Keep the name, but change the logo to a potato. No one is offended by redskin potatoes.

36. Stephen Denny says: Sep 13, 2013 2:36 PM

It’s people with no connection to the supposed “racism” of the name that find themselves offended.

If the people that are SUPPOSED to be offended aren’t, then it’s not offensive. Get over yourselves, you sanctimonious jackasses.

And Hail to the Redskins.

37. buccaneerjeremy says: Sep 13, 2013 2:38 PM

Chase says: Sep 13, 2013 2:12 PM

———————————————–
    Yes because clearly “White men” have NEVER felt discrimination. Chase grow up & realize EVERYONE has felt some sort of discrimination in some form. There is such a thing as reverse racism you know? It goes both ways…. & yes it’s a total Political Correctness issue. I forgot only people of color can truly know racism. What a bunch of garbage! Which by the way I was called a cracker yesterday so I assume that’s not racism at all

38. bigjd says: Sep 13, 2013 2:41 PM

Who still reads the Washington Post?

39. asimonetti88 says: Sep 13, 2013 2:43 PM

I was kind of hoping that the return of, you know, real football.. Would put this non-issue to rest until the offseason again. Guess I was wrong.

40. @Cereal_22 says: Sep 13, 2013 2:44 PM

While we’re talking image change in DC, how about RG3 get a haircut as well?

41. kane337 says: Sep 13, 2013 2:52 PM

Washington Warriors would be a nice fit.

42. pancaketaco says: Sep 13, 2013 2:59 PM

If I’m D. Snyder I’d say “no problem I’ll change the name…when I move to LA! Now are we going to move on and play some football or do I need to give you a lesson on how the free market works…”

43. csuvikingengineer says: Sep 13, 2013 2:59 PM

I was at Miami University in 1995 when they ditched the Redskins name, and became the Red Hawks. It upset me at the time, and I thought is was a small group pushing political correctness at it’s worst. Looking back now with nearly 20 years of experience, I honestly believe it was the right thing to do.

44. baily67 says: Sep 13, 2013 3:01 PM

it’s sad what this country has become. it’s okay to take God out of everything yet they’re up in arms over a football team’s name, after all these years. it’s unreal.

45. rjwill says: Sep 13, 2013 3:22 PM

As a businessman I don’t know why he’s resisting this so much- he gets a new name, new logo, and fans have to re-purchase jerseys, hats, shirts, etc. I bet a lot of owners would love to be able to do this.

46. elvis2013 says: Sep 13, 2013 3:25 PM

Stephen Denny says: Sep 13, 2013 2:36 PM

“The very big, very conclusive studies done with large numbers of real live American Indians have shown, time and time again, that 95%+ respondents find the name to be just fine. ”

Is that opposed to studies done with real dead American Indians? LOL

47. aprilwalker2013 says: Sep 13, 2013 3:25 PM

I agree with poster above!! There are so many things people could get behind on the “change” issue. This rally against Redskins football name is crazy! Yes I’m a Redskins fan, but even people who aren’t think this is crazy! My uncle and first cousin are 100% full Indian and they are not offended at all!! So if my family is not offended, why do I care if white men who cover my beloved team are? I’m sure Dan Snyder feels the same! Hope he sticks to his guns and only changes name if he wants to, it’s his team and bought it and loved it when the name was the Washington Redskins!! Hail to Dan Snyder and Hail to the Redskins!! If my family is ever offended, maybe I will think differently but until then.. HTTR

48. skinsfolife says: Sep 13, 2013 3:25 PM

If the league makes the Redskins change their name I am going to boycott the league. This is insane. Whah whah whah.

49. TheWizard says: Sep 13, 2013 3:46 PM

(media-driven) controversy

50. sarcasm says: Sep 13, 2013 3:47 PM

Washington Hogs

It’s a compromise. The fan base can support that name. Keep the same uniforms, colors, alter the helmet logo and it’s end of story.

Some people are going to continue to wear Redskins gear whether it’s named the Redskins, Hogos, or insert name here.

At least the HOGS is a bit of a sub nickname that most of the fans have supported over time anyway.

51. papichulo55 says: Sep 13, 2013 3:49 PM

How about the Washington Coonskins? Ridiculous, right!?
    The political power of that offended group would never allow that name to stand. Well, the Native American political power aint what it could be, and one of history’s most successful ethnic cleansing has a lot to do with it. Change the damn name already, Mr. Synder. And Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee!

52. rcali says: Sep 13, 2013 3:50 PM

Some people just have too much time on our hands. I wish I had that much time to worry about the name of a sports team. Anyway, back to work, the mortgage isn’t being paid for by a magic fairy.

53. Deb says: Sep 13, 2013 4:13 PM

For the first time, I actually feel sympathy for Dan Snyder. Is the name offensive? Yes. But do most people find it offensive? Probably not. Surveys suggest it’s not a big deal to most Native Americans. It is a big deal to most Washington fans, who vehemently do not want the name of their team changed. So arguably the least popular owner in team history is getting hounded to do the least popular thing in team history … for all the right reasons.

Talk about a rock and a hard place.

54. steaderic says: Sep 13, 2013 4:29 PM

If only there was someone who might go sit down and talk with members of the many Native American nations. Someone who might ask them how they feel about the Redskins name. Someone who would allow them to express their opinions about what is or is not offensive to them. This person could then collect all of that information, and maybe find a way to publish it in a public way. Maybe say on the internet or a newspaper or a television newsmagazine show.
    I think they used to call this type of person a journalist. Whatever happened to them?

55. zackattack006 says: Sep 13, 2013 4:41 PM

How about the Washington Natives?
    Washington Warriors?

56. broadstbully says: Sep 13, 2013 5:22 PM

Why not just call them [the]Washington DC? Hell, you could keep the color scheme and Unis, and just get rid of the Indian in the logo. Could even do something cool with a Hog.

And maybe you could even keep the “R”(homage), and have an alternate logo with the “D”, (DC), and both sides are literally satisfied. And of course, there could be an American Alternate Colorway. Nike makes big bucks by splitting an entire team into rival sides, and the NFL takes home the house. And the liberals shut up. I like it.

57. crp63 says: Sep 13, 2013 5:23 PM

If your really concerned about how native americans feel,why don’t you give them their land back….

58. skinsfaninillinois says: Sep 13, 2013 5:29 PM

The name “Giants” offends short people
    The name “Dolphins” offends sharks.
    The name “Jets” offends owners of prop airplanes.
    The name “Bills” offends those who are bankrupt.
    The name “Seahawks” offends Pelicans
    The name “Eagles” offends Owls
    What about the “Fighting Irish,” or the “Browns?”

59. dlr4skins says: Sep 13, 2013 5:41 PM

Why would Snyder give a eagle’s feather about what the league or Dictator Goodell thinks after the job given by the league and Comrade/Commish for the cap penalties given in an uncapped year?

Then again, Mara and Roger seem to have some sort of plutonic relationship……..

As fans, team, and owner………….You can kiss our emblem.

REDSKINS

60. pg99bassist says: Sep 13, 2013 6:27 PM

spydey629…

They weren’t the Boston Redskins. They were the Boston Braves. So if they were named the Braves for the same event, the Boston Tea Party… Braves would still carry a racially insensitive connotation. But no one protests the Atlanta Braves. So… it really is a matter of context.

What I would love to see is all these people who want it changed so badly to pay the Redskins to change it. Because in a multi billion dollar business and with a franchise worth more than most any business in this country it really boils down to people saying “we don’t like your team name for whatever reason so you need to lose millions and millions of dollars in revenue and licensing to appease us.”

61. subliminalsteeler says: Sep 13, 2013 7:04 PM

Redskin! Redskin! Redskin! Redskin! Redskin! Redskin! Redskin! Redskin!

Better yet…Washington Redskins!!

I am so offended!…..NOT!! Stupidest thing I’ve heard of. Keep the name!!!

62. bucsducksipa says: Sep 13, 2013 7:20 PM

aprilwalker2013 says: Sep 13, 2013 3:25 PM

This is a typical comment by the asinine defenders of perpetuating a racial epithet. I guess we have to assume that the uncle is biologically related, providing the first cousin with half of the required DNA to be “100% full Indian” that makes the aunt “100% full Indian” as well, which aprilwalker2013 fails to mention. What’s more is, if in fact aprilwalker2013’s uncle is biologically related, that means either, assuming aprilwalker2013 is a female, that her mother or father are “100% full Indian” making her at least 50% half Indian. Not my logic folks, typical asinine defenders of perpetuating a racial epithet’s logic. A further extension of this same obtuse logic would be, if aprilwalker2013 takes no offense to the racial epithet then she shouldn’t be offended to be called a Squaw, even if she is a he. See y’all in the funny papers.

63. franklinandbashandflorio says: Sep 13, 2013 7:42 PM

So it’s up to the ignorant D.C. fan base.

64. franklinandbashandflorio says: Sep 13, 2013 7:51 PM

Some people forget that genocide was committed here. On u.s. soil. (Formerly inhabited by indigenous people’s). The name is a slap in the face and needs to be changed!

65. jahsc06 says: Sep 13, 2013 8:08 PM

You think Native Americans would be more pissed about being called Native Americans..when they were here it wasn’t called America. On that note, HAIL TO THE REDSKINS. DON’T CHANGE THE NAME DANNY BOY (I guess thats racist towards Irish people). Also, why is everyone all of the sudden offended by a team name that has been around since 1932.

66. larrydavid7000 says: Sep 13, 2013 8:26 PM

I am going to The Redskins game this Sunday and I am gonna get to the bottom. of this issue first hand. There’s gonna be a rally. of protesters there and I. will let them know in a very nice way to cool it and going to challenge. their side as well.

67. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Sep 13, 2013 9:27 PM

Changing the name benefits exactly who? No one that I can see. But it will certainly cost Snyder’s organization a significant amount of money to execute a name change.

Proposal: Keep the name and donate a portion of the proceeds from Redskins merchandise sales to native americans. At least the money could be put to good use for native americans.

68. bpowers82 says: Sep 13, 2013 9:46 PM

I agree with the guy that said the Jets being in New York is offensive to New York citizens. I also think if people are going to call for the Redskins to change there name they should perhaps look at the other teams in the league and how they might be offensive to “one person”. The Vikings, Raiders and Bucs are all offensive in there own way. The name Vikings is offensive to Scandinavian people because I’m pretty sure they aren’t still raiding and raping the rest of the world, could be wrong but pretty sure I’m not. And the Raiders and Bucs are implying that all sea faring people are pirates, coming from a fishing family I know for a fact that is not true. And while I’m on the pirates might as well throw in the Pirates from Pittsburgh and that’s offensive. Now that I’m on baseball, the Cleveland Indians. Should I have to spell this out, last time I checked, Native Americans liked being referred to as, well, Native Americans. Indians is offensive considering they aren’t from India. And personally, when I think of Los Angeles I don’t think they are angels in that city, lot of crime and angels wouldn’t do that. But, it’s the city of angels, that’s the name of the city, well change that too. What about the people out there that don’t believe in angels, you think they are comfortable going to an Angels game in the city of Angels? Change the name and the name of the city. Do you morons understand that this would never end. It’s simple, if you don’t like the name don’t be a fan of the team. I am willing to bet, terrorists aren’t fans of the New England Patriots but do you see articles coming from them asking a name change?

69. mutohasaposse says: Sep 13, 2013 9:47 PM

Whether it be a sports name, the abortion issue, same sex marriage, or any topic in the world I’d have the same response:

Isn’t the Washington Post a NEWSpaper? Shouldn’t it provide news and not an opinion.

I honestly wonder when is the last time this country had a true news source of any kind without bias.

70. lololnpnp says: Sep 13, 2013 9:53 PM

Interesting how they are suddenly all up in arms ONLY after being sold to Amazon. One minute you’re sucking up for access to the team, the next you’re hitting the soapbox. Must everything be driven by greed? Way to stand up for the little man while maintaining increasing irrelevance.

And seriously with all that is going on in the world this is what people are focusing on? I’m not saying it should/shouldn’t be changed but people need to see what’s going on here and overseas and maybe gain a little perspective.

71. mutohasaposse says: Sep 13, 2013 9:55 PM

In regards to the post about the protest outside the SB. They were not solely protesting the word Redskins. Signs read “”We are not Mascots.” So The Indians, Chiefs, Seminoles, Braves, etc. should be mentioned in every single argument posted on here about this topic. Yet, no mention of that.

72. mutohasaposse says: Sep 13, 2013 10:00 PM

Chase says: Sep 13, 2013 2:12 PM

————————————————————–

Hate this attitude! Fact is white people are held to different standards and are shackled more than most when it comes to free speech. If you mention another race and you are white you are automatically a racist. If you are another race you are allowed to have whatever views you want. Every stand-up comic that is not white has a good size portion of their act making fun of whites. How many whites even touch on race?

73. jskzoocrew says: Sep 13, 2013 10:37 PM

Just change the color of the uniforms. Worst in the nfl.

74. beelicker says: Sep 13, 2013 10:51 PM

Just invent a see-through type jersey & call ‘em the ‘Skins

75. musicman495 says: Sep 13, 2013 11:22 PM

That’s what makes Snyder’s vow to never change the name unfortunate. He already has locked in to his position, and he won’t be inclined to change it. Unless, of course, he can leverage giving up the name into getting D.C. in the Super Bowl rotation.
    —————–
    After this year’s “white out” at the Meadowlands, we will once and for all no longer need to worry about cold weather cities without domes getting a Super Bowl.

76. rwindett says: Sep 13, 2013 11:27 PM

funny how this is never brought up anywhere else. Never on ESPN,FOX SPORTS. This webpage is the only place that this is a controversy. Please Dan, do not change the name. This is not an issue ANYWHERE else in the country. By the way GO E A G L E S

77. gzinn18631 says: Sep 13, 2013 11:32 PM

Take a vote. Majority rules. I’m sure they will get several hundred thousand to vote to change the name… Out of seven billion.

78. defscottyb says: Sep 14, 2013 4:00 AM

I’m offended by the Jets – 9/11 deaths caused by 2 Jets in New York City!!! Are you kidding me? Change that name pronto. United Negro College Fund are you kidding me??? Negro??? Both gotta go now, so offensive. Both are 100x’s worse than Redskins (which is not even offensive to begin with).
    #fakeoutrage

79. defscottyb says: Sep 14, 2013 4:47 AM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Seriously man, did your parents drop you on your head as a child?

80. defscottyb says: Sep 14, 2013 5:38 AM

I bet you a million dollars if Dan S got all of the “offended” persons together and struck a deal for a nice cut of Redskins merchandising profits all of this so called “outrage” would vanish instantly ala The Florida Seminoles: It’s all about the money, anything worth doing is worth doing for money believe me and start thinking outside the box people. They want their cut of the money, it’s as simple as that. If the Seminole Tribe in Florida didn’t get paid that team would of most likely lost their name because college sports are slaves to pressure and public funding and so are high schools. Think about it. Pro sports are way different though and that’s why the name will never change as long as Dan S is the owner of the team.
    #fakeoutrageasanangletogetmerchandisingprofits

81. the3taveren says: Sep 14, 2013 6:13 AM

Please later Roger Godahell and the Washington Left Post that there arethree threeNFL NFL teams that have names much more offensive than the Redskins. The fact that the NFL allows Vikings, Bucs, and Raiders to glorify murder, theft, and raping is beyond me. Why should we tolerate such an offensive display of respect for such dispicable groups.
    While the name Redskins may be offensive to some at least the team has a possibly offensive name for a period group of people, while the other three team names might not be as offensive but they represent vile groups.
    Which is worse?

82. gibbsandflair says: Sep 14, 2013 9:14 AM

Im not for a change but it looks like one day it will come. I would just change it to SKINS. Keep all logos. The naysayers will have to make some compromise and those that want to get rid of native american images,well it will never happen. Tell the Indians to never sell a headress to a non native if it offends them SO BAD. Also some like WARRIORS. I would go with WARSKINS. Same logo or the old spear logo. Hate to tell the Indians but the do not have a patent on spears and feathers.

83. jahsc06 says: Sep 14, 2013 10:29 AM

Why don’t they just do a million man march in DC? Oh wait.