DeAndre Hopkins: I feel like I can be better than Andre Johnson

Tennessee Titans v Houston Texans Getty Images

The Texans were trailing the Titans in the fourth quarter and wide receiver Andre Johnson was on the bench being evaluated for a concussion.

In past years, that would have spelled disaster for the Houston offense because there wasn’t another pass catcher dynamic enough to make a game-changing play to put the Texans back in business. That’s why they drafted DeAndre Hopkins this offseason and Hopkins delivered in a major way.

He caught passes on three straight plays to set up Arian Foster’s game-tying touchdown in the fourth just before Johnson was injured and then caught two more in overtime, including the game-winner in the 30-24 victory, after Johnson was out of the game. It was a coming-out party for a player who was drafted to complement Johnson but plans to surpass him in the years to come.

“I feel like I can be better than Andre,” Hopkins said, via the team’s website. “That’s my mindset. And that’s what Andre tells me. [He says] Don’t try to shadow yourself when you know you can be better.”

The Texans don’t need Hopkins to be better than Johnson at the moment. They just need him to be good enough to keep defenses from shutting them down by shutting down Johnson, something he’s proven capable of doing in each of the team’s first two games.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “DeAndre Hopkins: I feel like I can be better than Andre Johnson”
  1. jtumen88 says: Sep 16, 2013 9:09 AM

this kid’s gonna be a game-breaker

2. ccjcsr says: Sep 16, 2013 9:12 AM

Will be the best game of his short NFL career!

3. natijim235 says: Sep 16, 2013 9:16 AM

wow – what kind of a-hole says that about a teamate

4. sirsupersouthern says: Sep 16, 2013 9:24 AM

What refreshing humility…

5. mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says: Sep 16, 2013 9:31 AM

He’s got a long way to go.

6. mrbigass says: Sep 16, 2013 9:39 AM

Read the post. Even AJ encourages him to be better than he is.

Guy is a stud but still learning as he whiffed on a hot read and didn’t come back for the ball that was intercepted. Bet he got a good chewing out for that one and proceeded to make 3 circus catches to win the game……

7. rdawson43 says: Sep 16, 2013 9:52 AM

EASY there youngin’…

This maybe true, but let’s just enjoy the great “GAME” you had before putting yourself in the HOF!!!

I think Hopkins is special, but man kids these days.

8. hanklee1989 says: Sep 16, 2013 9:54 AM

I wanted him in Minnesota, but we didn’t go in that direction…but I can’t complain about Patterson, he’s got the talent to be a super player for us.

9. zzr600guy says: Sep 16, 2013 10:08 AM

Hopkins is good but he will never be better than Andre was/is.

10. classyjacklambert says: Sep 16, 2013 10:13 AM

He is gonna be a beast. He destroyed a stacked lsu defense in the chick-fil-a bowl. And this really didn’t sound like hubris, he’s just saying he has a lot of potential. But everyone will knee jerk.

11. 81toro says: Sep 16, 2013 10:18 AM

Kid is early 20’s.Got a lot to learn.Soakin it up from one of the best.Should be fun to watch if Sunday was only a start.Go Texans!!

12. mc1439 says: Sep 16, 2013 10:34 AM

Yeah Deandre and the skie is bleu.

13. 8to80texansblog says: Sep 16, 2013 10:47 AM

I agree that it’s great that he has outstanding confidence. It seems like Dre is telling him that he’s going to be great.

But to be honest, it’s ok to have huge confidence and still acknowledge that Dre is one of the best to ever play the position and to just have your name in the same sentance as Dre is an honor.

Don’t get me wrong… Nuk will be a star in this league. But Dre is a 1st ballot HOFer.

14. gbrussell says: Sep 16, 2013 10:58 AM

“wow – what kind of a-hole says that about a teamate”

I suspect this is more a case of wording and context than that Hopkins is dissing Andre Johnson.

From other articles, Dre is the one who is repeatedly telling Hopkins not to set limits for himself, that he can be better than AJ if he works for it. I think the kid’s just basically saying his goal is to not just be good, but to be better. He’s following AJ’s mentoring there, not dissing him.

15. dbot1800 says: Sep 16, 2013 11:11 AM

Regarding the interception, both Schuab and Kubiak said after the game that Schuab was the one who misread the defense, and that Hopkins made the correct read.

16. headonaswivel says: Sep 16, 2013 11:33 AM

As long as you play against Jason McCourtey twice a year, you may very well have a chance.

This from a Titans fan by the way.

17. tennesseeoilers says: Sep 16, 2013 11:35 AM

Two games in and that kid’s already a heartbreaker.

-Titans Fan

18. CKL says: Sep 16, 2013 12:08 PM

I wanted my Pats to draft this kid so bad. He has amazing hands and amazing body control. Plus he wants to buy a shark! (That’s for Ross Tucker..:D)
    But seriously, he couldn’t have a better mentor or a guy to emulate than Andre Johnson. He has it all set up for himself to be a success. If he doesn’t get there, it’s his own fault. But I think he will get there.

19. jasonsgotafever says: Sep 16, 2013 9:06 PM

The kid has alot to learn about the NFL, but with a mentor like Dre, he WILL be a success in this league. He’s not there yet, but I like the attitude of wanting to be better than one of the only class acts (for a receiver) in this league.
    Keep doing what you do and listen to one of the best and years from now, we’ll see. Go Texans!