Doug Marrone unnerved by E.J. Manuel’s lack of nerves

Carolina Panthers v Buffalo Bills Getty Images

Rookie quarterback E.J. Manuel led the Bills to a win on Sunday by taking them 80 yards in 96 seconds before throwing a game-winning touchdown pass to Stevie Johnson.

That kind of performance under pressure is usually a sign of a player who knows how to keep an even keel that stops the moment from becoming too much for him. Manuel earned praise from his teammates for his poise on that final drive, but coach Doug Marrone was more taken by the way Manuel kept his composure after throwing an interception earlier in the fourth quarter.

Marrone said after the game that he found himself getting riled up by the fact that Manuel was so placid after the mistake.

“He keeps telling me, and it gets me upset, he keeps telling me ‘I’m all right,’” Marrone said, via Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News. “If he’s all right, then why is he making these decisions? But that’s the type of kid he is. He’s very relaxed, so I’m like, ‘What did you see? Why’d you do that? That’s not the read.’”

That interception was one of several plays Manuel made that jeopardized the Bills’ chances of winning the game, but his ability to shrug off mistakes and keep the offense working well enough to wind up with the win will linger longer.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
34 Responses to “Doug Marrone unnerved by E.J. Manuel’s lack of nerves”
  1. logicalvoicesays says: Sep 16, 2013 12:08 PM

EJ Manuel, Pryor, Wilson, Kaepernick…all RGIIIWannabes. #Theresonly1Superhuman

2. dspyank2k11 says: Sep 16, 2013 12:11 PM

Great stuff and STONES from a Rookie QB.

Way to go EJ!

3. dspyank2k11 says: Sep 16, 2013 12:11 PM

@logicalvoicesays:

Washington 0-2

4. tolan04 says: Sep 16, 2013 12:14 PM

The Ralph was up for grabs yesterday after his scramble and gw td. Buffalo finally has a qb of the future.

5. bucrightoff says: Sep 16, 2013 12:15 PM

Anytime Logical comes around, just drop the two best things you can:

RG3-13
    Rams are picking top-10 next year.

LOLskins.

6. blacknole08 says: Sep 16, 2013 12:15 PM

That’s how E.J. was at FSU. He has a short memory when it comes to mental mistakes. He is cool and collected and his demeanor is always a positive one.

But see what people don’t realize about Manuel and why he will be good for a long time is because he is coachable. There is not a sense of being a diva or prima donna from him.

So for everyone who said he didn’t deserve to be the first qb taken I hope that crow tastes good.

7. scaredhitless says: Sep 16, 2013 12:16 PM

If you want to see a rookie QB, look at Geno Smith. EJ doesn’t look like that at all.

8. dalcow4 says: Sep 16, 2013 12:16 PM

It’s early, but– certainly looks good for Buffalo’s future.

9. harrisonhits2 says: Sep 16, 2013 12:17 PM

dspyank2k11 says:

@logicalvoicesays:

Washington 0-2
    _________________

And 0-2 teams have something like a 12% chance of making the playoffs, much less the Super Bowl.

Manuel on the other hand continues to impress me. He’s very calm under pressure and in some ways that’s half the battle to being successful in the NFL. Bills fans should be optimistic for the long run.

10. redrobots44 says: Sep 16, 2013 12:21 PM

This guy is a great player. Why do teams force QBs in the top 5 who did nothing in college like Gabbert, Stafford, Tannehill, Bradford, Clausen, Geno Smith, Alex Smith, Sanchez when you can get guys like this and Russel Wilson/Kaepernick later on? Did people not watch him play for 3 years? So what he’s not 6’5″ he played a ton of games, but people love the upside of Gabbert or Tannehill in the top 15 picks? I don’t get it.

11. norseyapper says: Sep 16, 2013 12:22 PM

I thought Manuel was a reach in the first round but that was a mistake. The kid has talent, composure, and the kind of personality that will lead a team.
    Good job Buffalo, you picked the prize from the 2013 draft.

It goes without saying but….logicalvoice is such a tiresome idiot.

12. fosteraustralianfortouchdown says: Sep 16, 2013 12:32 PM

logical…Redskins 0-2, lol

13. jr507 says: Sep 16, 2013 12:32 PM

After seeing Manuel crying on the field, Buffalo’s sideline go bananas, and now reading these comments, I’m confused – was there some sort of contest that made this past game the Super Bowl?

I could of sworn a mediocre Bills team squeaked by a terrible Carolina squad on a questionable pass interference call. Apparently this was a Clash of the Titans and I was unaware.

14. steelerdynasty2010 says: Sep 16, 2013 12:36 PM

so the ROOKIE player is more composed than the ROOKIE coach? probably not good.

15. bosshoghussla says: Sep 16, 2013 12:41 PM

redrobots44,

I hate to be this guy, but your post is chalk full of errors. I will start by saying, I too am impressed by Manuel, but dude…that doesn’t give you carte blanche to simply ignore facts.

1. E.J. actually is 6’5”
    2. Gabbert, Tannehill, Clausen and Geno Smith were not taken in the top 5.

16. thegregwitul says: Sep 16, 2013 12:44 PM

I like EJ’s poise and confidence. He doesn’t seem to get rattled and he isn’t looking to run after his first read is covered. He goes through his progressions and is a lot of fun to watch. I’m happy to see the Bills have their first QB since Jim Kelly that looks like a star in the making.

17. longtermbuffalonian says: Sep 16, 2013 1:01 PM

@ jr507

You DO have to realize that this is the Buffalo Bills – the team where last minute heroics happen to OTHER teams…

(and questionable PI call? Really? Tape shows Kuechley pulled his jersey as SJ was turning away from him. Ball went where SJ would’ve been had he not been slowed down. Pretty open and shut.)

Let’s put it this way – that same “terrible” Panthers squad held the team that most people consider to be among the best in the NFC to 12 points.

*shrug* It’s still early – but for the first time in a long time in Buffalo – there is a feeling that for once – we got a quarterback that can handle it when the game is on the line…

18. steelerben says: Sep 16, 2013 1:08 PM

Two games in are a little early to judge what his career is going to be like. Remember when Fitzpatrick was finally the answer the Bills were searching for at quarterback?

Poise under pressure and the ability to shake off a mistake are good things. But, it sort of is important to find out why he made the wrong read. Is it a mental mistake because the play was too complicated? Did he not see the right defense? Was he trying to force a ball on the off side of the play? That’s what is going to be the difference for him. Can they identify why he is making mistakes and then not repeat the same mistake twice?

Give him at least a season before deciding that he’s the next great QB.

19. chase457 says: Sep 16, 2013 1:12 PM

@jr507 This win showed the character of the Buffalo Bills. No, it wasn’t a clash of the titans, but a lot of first’s and an emotional game nevertheless. I am honored to be a Bills fan.

20. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 16, 2013 1:19 PM

As a 26-year Noles fan, he has some Charlie Ward in him (the good), but the problem is, he is too cool WHILE making critical mistakes — i.e. the NC State and UF game last year — and that doesn’t fly, when you are being greedy on a read. That INT yesterday was a lot like the first one he threw against UF last year, and it killed any chance we had to face Bama.

21. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 16, 2013 1:21 PM

However, he is a good dude and comes from good stock. He soaked up Jimbo’s coaching (including his Schottenheimer tendencies which cost FSU in big games while EJ was there) and is focused on winning, not being a TV magnet. Supporting all Noles in the NFL.

22. selbyrj82 says: Sep 16, 2013 1:23 PM

redrobots44 says:
    Sep 16, 2013 12:21 PM

……………………..
    Redrobots44, I’m in agreement Manuel was a nice pick and thus far has been impressive and I think he looks like he might have a promising future. However, this post by you is just so incorrect in so many ways. As aleady pointed out Gabbert, Tannehill, Clausen and Geno werent picked in the top 5. Clausen and Geno weren’t eve first rounders.

Also- I’m guessing you dont watch college football because literally every single one of those 8 guys you named besides Clausen did plenty of good things college to get noticed and get drafted in the position in which they did get drafted in.

Finally, I have to ask if you even watch the NFL? Ryan Tannehill is looking just as good as any QB drafted last year right now. Sam Bradford has done pretty decent considering he’s had a lack of talent around him for the majority of his career. Matthew Stafford threw for over 5,000 yards 2 years ago and well over 4,000 last year and this year’s start indicates more of the same. It’s not his fault the rest of his team makes undisciplined mistakes. Last but not least Alex Smith has his new team already tying its win total from a year ago after two games, nearly led his team to the Superbowl 2 years ago, and was leading his team in the same direction last year before getting hurt mid-season.

Sorry dude, but literally every point you made was an awful one.

23. thebirdofprey says: Sep 16, 2013 1:24 PM

I too thought Bills made a reach like many other teams like Vikings/Jaguars a couple of years back but wow they look to have a QB. Manuel plays with poise and his team is behind him 100 %. Hope it works long term. I am happy because now Tom Brady’s division will actually make him compete for wins. Bills could be 2-o right now and I think this team is on the up and up with that d-line and guys like Stevie Johnson and CJ Spiller.

24. cfeeley52 says: Sep 16, 2013 1:32 PM

logicalvoicesays says:
    Sep 16, 2013 12:08 PM
    EJ Manuel, Pryor, Wilson, Kaepernick…all RGIIIWannabes. #Theresonly1Superhuman
    ———————————–
    Dude, your team is 0-2 shut up until you win something…

25. thegreatgabbert says: Sep 16, 2013 1:52 PM

Damn, I hope E.J. doesn’t have to face Marrone after he LOSES a game…..

26. nickster31 says: Sep 16, 2013 1:54 PM

I am a Steelers fan, and before EJ made his climb up the draft boards, I was hoping we drafted him in the 3rd round.

Saw him play at FSU and knew he was going to be special.

Great job Bills! This guy is going to win you a LOT of games.

27. umrguy42 says: Sep 16, 2013 1:55 PM

After initially misreading the headline, I was left pondering the vast difference in meaning between “lack of nerve” and “lack of nerves”.

Although I’m not sure that “unnerved” really describes Marrone’s situation. To me at least, “unnerved” definitely != “riled up”.

28. thestrategyexpert says: Sep 16, 2013 2:10 PM

Marrone needs to learn how to deal with this without getting so “upset” and flustered. Gee whiz this guy says some bizarre stuff. Another horrible word choice. Why does he have to complain to the media about what he can’t handle with regard to his own player? Weird.

29. lewiscafarella says: Sep 16, 2013 3:07 PM

Marrone simply is a super emotional guy, which can be a good thing. But it also can be a very bad thing. I understand emotion is part of the game, but am I the only one who thinks DM is sort of a ticking time bomb? I’m a Bills fan, for life, born and raised I might add, and I’m EXTREMELY excited for our future now, but he’s gotta calm down a bit before he rattles his players nerves, forget his. With that being said, go Bills! #BillsMafia for life!

30. bfedy says: Sep 16, 2013 3:24 PM

“That interception was one of several plays Manuel made that jeopardized the Bills’ chances of winning the game”

Several Plays? The kid made a bad play on the interception and arguably the fumble. 2=several? Enough already.

First promising young QB in a Bills uniform in years. Let’s Go Buffalo!

31. hornbuckle says: Sep 16, 2013 4:30 PM

Sounds like the coach needs to chill.

32. hatesycophants says: Sep 16, 2013 4:37 PM

I agree with bfedy. This is the first promising young QB the Bills have had since they said Fitzpatrick was the first promising young QB they’ve had in years!

Hilarious Bills!

33. keepyerstickontheice says: Sep 17, 2013 8:40 AM

I don’t think anybody thought Fitzpatrick was the QB of the future, just good enough for right now.
    As Buddy Nix said after his first draft a couple years ago, that if he took a quarterback, he’d just get him killed.

34. kingpel says: Sep 17, 2013 9:50 AM

Hey Bills fans! I thought you screwed up big time drafting EJ, but after watching the kid play a couple games and listening to his interviews it sounds like he is a pretty good kid. Hopefully at the end of the year I will be eating some crow and you guys will knock off New England.