Source: Phil Taylor insists Ray Rice spit on him

Cleveland Browns v Baltimore Ravens Getty Images

Cleveland Browns defensive tackle Phil Taylor picked up a 15-yard penalty in Sunday’s game against the Baltimore Ravens for slapping running back Ray Rice in the helmet. Taylor wouldn’t say what led him to hit Rice but hinted that Rice spit him on. Ravens head coach John Harbaugh said Monday he didn’t see any evidence that Rice spit on Taylor but Taylor is firm in his belief that Rice followed the example of former Baltimore Orioles player Roberto Alomar.

A league source tells PFT’s Mike Florio that Taylor insists that Rice did spit on him and that there is video evidence to prove it that will be sent to the league office for review.

Taylor and Rice came face-to-face after Desmond Bryant stopped Rice for a 3-yard loss on the second play of the game. Browns’ linebacker D’Qwell Jackson told Tom Reed of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer that someone yelled he got spit on after the play.

If there is documented video evidence of the altercation, Rice could face a penalty from the league retroactively for the action.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
52 Responses to “Source: Phil Taylor insists Ray Rice spit on him”
  1. beerinmybelly says: Sep 16, 2013 11:36 PM

And then they were both called in from recess…

2. ivanpavlov0000 says: Sep 16, 2013 11:39 PM

Am I the only one who sees Phil Taylor’s complaint and thinks, so what?

This makes me yearn for the Art Donovan era of football. Back then guys did things to each other much worse than spitting, and nobody cried about it in public.

3. reed20fence says: Sep 16, 2013 11:49 PM

If he spit on him then a penalty is called for says this Ravens fan.

4. rhamrhoddy says: Sep 16, 2013 11:49 PM

Its hard to justify spitting on another man. Hope it was just some smack talk.

5. dannyreneau says: Sep 17, 2013 12:02 AM

spitting is at least a $50 fine, right guys?

6. quint69 says: Sep 17, 2013 12:08 AM

I remember when Willie Scott spat in Dr.Jones face atone of Mola Ram’s Shankara Stone ceremonies.

7. dumbpollack says: Sep 17, 2013 12:10 AM

That’s about as low as it gets. If true, Rice needs to be fined. None of this really matters though. We still don’t have a QB!!

8. cocheese000 says: Sep 17, 2013 12:26 AM

Robbie alomar would be proud of him. I guess the old karma bug bit rice though because he was injured on a non contact play later in the game.

9. tokyosandblaster says: Sep 17, 2013 12:29 AM

Wouldn’t surprise me. The Ravens, like their fans, think they’re better than they really are.

Sorta like the Vikings and their fans. Granted, the Ravens have won some Super Bowls…. but still….

They won’t even make the playoffs.

10. whitdog23 says: Sep 17, 2013 12:32 AM

aren’t all penalties retroactive?? weird wording in that last graph

11. southpaw447 says: Sep 17, 2013 12:32 AM

I believe it. Ray Rice isn’t the cleanest player in the league and he’s done some cheap and after the whistle stuff that’s pretty juvenile

12. stephenolszewski says: Sep 17, 2013 12:36 AM

Browns could use this, I’d like to see a actual rivalry…now we just gotta beat them

13. footballfan84 says: Sep 17, 2013 1:12 AM

If he did do it, who’s the “spiteful” one now? Or should I say spit-full?

14. 87hollywoodhorn says: Sep 17, 2013 2:00 AM

no one cares you play for the browns you’re lower than peasantry! this will not help you stop the saints from winning the superbowl

15. backwardpack says: Sep 17, 2013 2:14 AM

Always thought he was a classy guy but that is lower than low.

16. watermelon1 says: Sep 17, 2013 3:10 AM

Ray rice better watch out because as soon as the ravens realize how much better Bernard Pierce is than number 27, the sooner he gets dealt to a subpar team where he will have a much harder time getting those stats.

17. fluiddarkness says: Sep 17, 2013 4:46 AM

Say it, don’t spray it.

18. rockthered1286 says: Sep 17, 2013 6:27 AM

IF there is evidence? Come on guys do your job and run through the footage before writing the article. Or did you already do so, realize he didn’t spit, but still need to push the article so we ignore that part? And how would Taylor immediately after the game KNOW there was evidence in the video exactly? Also how can a man who was allegedly spat on be slapping the same guys butt not even 30 minutes later like its no big deal? One more point- ever try to spit with a mouthguard in? Yea you really can’t. But hey why take those things into account when you can write a vague article just to see the Steeler trolls focus on something other than 2 embarrassing loses to start 2013?

19. bandzz says: Sep 17, 2013 7:01 AM

But the video doesn’t show rice spitting….in fact Taylor was slapping Rice on the butt later on throughout the game saying “good run” ….not buying it.

20. cardsfann1 says: Sep 17, 2013 7:38 AM

Suspend Rice then. At least I’ll know why he isn’t scoring any points for my fantasy team…

21. ccjcsr says: Sep 17, 2013 7:53 AM

Must be the reason Rice went down with an injury…..Karma!

22. camdenyard says: Sep 17, 2013 8:19 AM

BS. I’ve seen the Youtube video and Ray did no such thing.

23. hanifmiller says: Sep 17, 2013 8:25 AM

I have zero respect for people who spit on others. That is one of the lowest forms of disrespect. We dont have all of the evidence yet but what would Phil Taylor gain from lying?

24. Steeler's Didn't-but-Will-eventually says: Sep 17, 2013 8:32 AM

It’s just spit, not acid. I agree it’s pretty low class on Rice’s part if he did do it, but no reason to get suckered into taking a penalty.

25. DawgPound83 says: Sep 17, 2013 8:38 AM

there is video evidence…..anyone who watched it could see it

26. annapterp says: Sep 17, 2013 9:07 AM

I don’t buy it…but if he did it would have hit Taylor in the jersey so how would he even know.hahaha

27. fortphiladamsterdam says: Sep 17, 2013 9:39 AM

If it’s true, Ray Rice deserves a hefty fine. Sportsmanship is important. It’s not like he only spit on a woman.

28. emoney826 says: Sep 17, 2013 9:40 AM

Doesn’t surprise me. Ray Rice is a punk. Always has been.

29. ohiogator says: Sep 17, 2013 9:47 AM

I thought I saw it too. You can see Taylor react after it happened. Magic loogie definately connected. Should see punishment on this one

30. lovefootball4life says: Sep 17, 2013 10:01 AM

“Browns’ linebacker D’Qwell Jackson told Tom Reed of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer that someone yelled he got spit on after the play.”
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    So the reporter reported something he was told by a guy who never saw it but heard it from another guy during the game.

Doesn’t seem like something Rice would do. If he did, he should be fined.

Time to focus on the Texans.

31. rmb3005 says: Sep 17, 2013 10:01 AM

Phil Taylor is least twice the size of Rice. He should have just stepped on Rice and squashed him like a bug.

32. baltimoresnativeson says: Sep 17, 2013 10:01 AM

If another man spit in my face I don’t think I would be as calm as Taylor was. I call b.s. on this.

33. ravensterps says: Sep 17, 2013 10:08 AM

Only a Browns fan could watch that and think Ray Rice spit on him. Ray’s mouthguard was in literally the whole time. Go watch again. It’s not even possible to spit wearing one of those things.

Did a little spittle get on Phil Taylor? Probably. But that comes from emphatic trash talking, not a conscious effort to spit. Quit whining Browns fans. I’m sure you’ll still be whining after the Ravens beat you for the 12th time in a row later this season.

34. freerayray52 says: Sep 17, 2013 10:42 AM

I can’t see the spit. I would like to see all of Taylor’s reaction. First he slaps him and the video cuts to Ray. I never saw Taylor wipe it off. That would have been my immediate reaction.

35. ridingwithnohandlebars says: Sep 17, 2013 10:44 AM

I think it is most likely that Rice was talking smack with his mouthguard in and some spray came out and ended up on Taylor.

It only would have gotten on his jersey anyway, Rice is not tall enough to be able to spit in his face.

36. brownspower says: Sep 17, 2013 10:51 AM

Watch the YouTube video. It’s clear he spit on on Taylor. And did not have a mouthpiece in.
    What a little girl Rice is!

37. sbchampsagain says: Sep 17, 2013 11:02 AM

Nothing to see here.

The film at NFL.com, certainly doesn’t show any spitting.

But it does show Ray Rice making the kissy face at Taylor and getting slugged for it.

38. dave4nyfg says: Sep 17, 2013 11:16 AM

While can’t definitively say from youtube video whether he spat in his face (intentionally or otherwise), clearly something happened to cause that escalation and jawing afterwards… guessing Rice will get away with this one unless there’s a more compelling video out there.

39. granadafan says: Sep 17, 2013 11:20 AM

Bill Romanowksi is now a big Ray Rice fan.

40. dickjagger says: Sep 17, 2013 11:46 AM

How could he have spit with his mouthpiece in?! Go back and watch the replay! Looks like Rice gave him the puckered lips treatment. Taylor is a sore loser!

41. phreakin says: Sep 17, 2013 11:56 AM

There’s nothing worse a man can do to another man than spit on him. I bounced at a bar one time and a guy spit at me. He missed me but I told him if he spit at me again I would beat the hell out of him. He proceeded to spit again and I followed through. I’d almost rather have a guy sleep with my wife than spit on me. Nothing more disrespectful.

42. thesteelskirt says: Sep 17, 2013 12:01 PM

I saw the video and Rice spit his mouth piece out and saliva cane with it. It looked like they were both jawing at each other before this. Browns still suck just with some extra saliva to keep then glowing.

43. micktanner says: Sep 17, 2013 12:42 PM

All you Brownie fans stop your whining! When Rice’s days are done in Baltiomore…he’ll be wearing those awful uniforms of Cleveland! You guys love picking up the Raven castoffs!!!

44. overratedsteelerhater says: Sep 17, 2013 1:22 PM

the brown who kicked rice while he was down started the whole thing.i couldn’t see the number that kicked him,most likely it was taylor….

45. originalsteelcurtain says: Sep 17, 2013 1:23 PM

Another classless RAven named RAy. My worst fear was confirmed when RAy-RAy the G.O.A.T. was actually paid by ESPN to spout nonsensical drivel on national TV last night.

Phil, you are much too big to be complaining about Ray Rice.

You play him twice a year…just break the little half-pint in half next time you see him.

46. itsfootballbaby says: Sep 17, 2013 1:30 PM

Did Ray spray instead of say.

47. Nofoolnodrool says: Sep 17, 2013 1:44 PM

freerayray52 says:
    Sep 17, 2013 10:42 AM

5 3 With that handle I would have expected a more biased comment….oh wait…ah never mind you wouldn’t understand.

48. sbchampsagain says: Sep 17, 2013 1:56 PM

Ray didn’t spit, but Oher did stick his finger in the earhole of some Brownie LB and give him a wet willie. CBS caught it on tape. Pretty funny if you ask me.

49. canedaddy says: Sep 17, 2013 2:52 PM

It’s obvious from the video that Ray Rice didn’t spit… he has his mouthpiece in. He’s also one of the nicest and classiest guys in the league, unlike this Baby Huey who hit him.

50. Joemontanaflacco says: Sep 17, 2013 3:29 PM

“With that handle I would have expected a more biased comment….oh wait…ah never mind you wouldn’t understand.”

Ah, the weeping little troll has finally come out of the shadows to harass Ravens’ fans today after his team got DALTONED last night. Long night, troll? You should have gone to bed at halftime since your pathetic Steelers got shut out in the 2nd half.

51. crownofthehelmet says: Sep 18, 2013 9:39 AM

Joemontanaflacco says:

——————————————————
    Irony at it’s finest.

52. bostonbias says: Sep 20, 2013 5:19 PM

crownofthehelmet says:
    Sep 18, 2013 9:39 AM
    Joemontanaflacco says:

——————————————————
    Irony at it’s finest.

Ditto Crown…you could not be more right