Andy Reid: My focus is only on the game

Kansas City Chiefs v Jacksonville Jaguars Getty Images

Thursday night’s Chiefs-Eagles game is an interesting matchup between a Chiefs team that’s already matched their win total from last year and an Eagles team running an offense that moves at a breakneck pace.

Compelling as that may be, one of the biggest storylines heading into the game has nothing to do with what will happen on the field. It has to do with Chiefs coach Andy Reid returning to Philadelphia for the first time since leaving the Eagles after 14 years as the team’s head coach. Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles has already said that he wants to win the game for his coach, but Reid said on a Tuesday conference call with Philly reporters that football is the only thing on his mind.

“Once you’re in this thing and you’re grinding and you’re getting ready for a football team, a good football team, you put all of that aside,” Reid said. “I know all of the questions and all of that. … It’s not very fluffy, but that’s what’s real.”

Reid had nothing but positive things to say about Eagles management, quarterback Michael Vick and coach Chip Kelly and said he “loved every minute” of his time in Philadelphia. Reid also said he thought his move from Philly to Kansas City would wind up being a good thing for both teams. Thursday will wind up being a good night for only one of them, however.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Andy Reid: My focus is only on the game”
  1. s0merand0mguy says: Sep 17, 2013 3:53 PM

lol sure it is

2. furnhole says: Sep 17, 2013 3:59 PM

You got get them Jamaal. You too Andy. National TV, you know Reid’s got a little pep in his step.

3. jayhawk6 says: Sep 17, 2013 4:01 PM

The chiefs win this one, primarily because AR has proven himself while CK is still auditioning.

4. phillyrick22 says: Sep 17, 2013 4:04 PM

this game looks like a loss for the birds .. our defense stinks!

5. longcutskolvikes says: Sep 17, 2013 4:13 PM

That, and a cheesesteak or two…

6. forsbergler says: Sep 17, 2013 4:15 PM

As a Bronco fan, this Chiefs team is the only team that scares me inj the AFC West. The Alex Smith and the Andy Reed pick this offseason has been huge for the Chiefs. I could see the 49ers letting go of Smith, but the Eagles getting rid of 1 of the best coaches in the league was a huge mistake. I see the Eagles have a similar performance to last week this thursday. Alot of 3 and outs, Chiefs dominating time of possession, 1st Downs, and will prove to the league that this Chip Kelly Gimmick offense is nothing more than that, A GIMMICK. Being a Broncos fans as I said…..
    GO EAGLES….lol

7. richardmswartz says: Sep 17, 2013 4:21 PM

GO EAGLES….lol

___________________________

You realize the offense wasn’t the problem last week, right?

8. touchdownroddywhite says: Sep 17, 2013 4:43 PM

I love how the Eagles put up 30 and people talk about 3 and outs like they were the only team that had a few of them last weekend…

9. grandpoopah says: Sep 17, 2013 5:21 PM

You Andy Reid fans just have no clue. None.

10. germanstingray says: Sep 17, 2013 5:27 PM

Eagles fans beware. Reid has a different system in KC, and he is not saddled with the burden of having to be the HC and GM. The Chiefs also have a much stouter defense than either team the Eagles have faced this season. It will be a good game. Don’t count your wins too early or diss Reid excessively. Andy did more for your franchise than anyone else.

11. bdawkhit says: Sep 17, 2013 5:39 PM

Except win a Super Bowl with 14 tries at it.

Expect a good and close high scoring game, and having suffered Andy’s well documented issues with clock management, I like the Eagles’ chances.

12. section731 says: Sep 17, 2013 5:40 PM

Reid is a class act and the best coach we ever had. That being said, it was time for him and the birds to move on. I will cheer him at the beginning of the game and then hope the Eagles win. I will root for him to win against other teams

13. s0merand0mguy says: Sep 17, 2013 6:01 PM

grandpoopah says:Sep 17, 2013 5:21 PM

You Andy Reid fans just have no clue. None.

——————

Thats because this is his 1st season and 2nd game with the cheifs. We had 14 years of flip flop coaching from this guy. Cheifs fans have no idea how much dissapointment this man can bring LOL.

14. s0merand0mguy says: Sep 17, 2013 6:06 PM

I like our chances this week. Andy gets easily distracted, were coming off a loss, and the defense needs to prove itself. Cheifs are 2-0 and we are 1-1 and lost at home last week. Momentum is on our side. We will see if the birds capitalize or not!

15. swampfox42 says: Sep 17, 2013 6:14 PM

I wonder of his pressers are the same old crap he doled out in Phily?

16. goldrush36 says: Sep 17, 2013 6:16 PM

As someone that realized Alex Smith’s physical limitations years ago…. I’m taking the Chiefs. Probably the only coach in the NFL even more QB friendly than Harbaugh and that defense is no joke

17. dt58 says: Sep 17, 2013 6:17 PM

I don’t really understand all the hate coming from Philly toward Andy. You wanted him gone and he’s gone. Why are you still dwelling on it? With the way everything played, I think it worked out for the best for everyone involved. Must be tough to go through life being angry and bitter about something in the past that you’ll never be able to change

18. doctorart2013 says: Sep 17, 2013 6:32 PM

I’m a big time Eagles fan and the reason for the distain for Andy Reid is he had terrible drafts the last 3 years, players he picked, that’s one of the big reasons the current defense blows, is that a good enough reason for you?

19. surfinbird1 says: Sep 17, 2013 7:11 PM

That and some Philly cheese steaks.

20. sveltegodzilla says: Sep 17, 2013 7:30 PM

“…he is not saddled with the burden of having to be the HC and GM.”
    _______________

Heard stuff along these lines in both Chiefs games, and while I get the appeal of the “rejuvenated Andy is back to loving coaching” storyline, it’s not like it was a role forced on him in Philly- he wanted that say in personnel.

That said, I’ve got no hate for him, he’s the best coach in team history and it feels like the way things shook out was good for everyone involved (Eagles’ D excepted of course, that dumpster fire will take some time)

21. phillyman2k9 says: Sep 17, 2013 7:42 PM

Andy Reid: My focus is only on the game

I bet it’s cheese steak and cheese fries …..

22. joetoronto says: Sep 18, 2013 4:39 AM

He sure fits right in with that massive gut and red shirt.

He looks exactly like the fans in Kansas friggin City.