Gronkowski a 50-50 shot to play this week

Rob Gronkowski AP

The lack of reasonable passing targets has led Patriots quarterback Tom Brady to blame himself.

But it appears he’s getting closer to having one of his most trusted guys back.

According to Ed Werder of ESPN, the Patriots think tight end Rob Gronkowski has a 50–50 chance of playing this week against the Buccaneers.

The Patriots have clearly missed him, barely bothering to target a tight end last week (according to the gmaebook, Michael Hoomanawanui was targeted once among Brady’s 39 attempts).

With Gronkowski coming off back surgery, they need to make sure they’re exercising enough patience. As much as they need him now because of other injuries, they need him more later in the season.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Gronkowski a 50-50 shot to play this week”
  1. harrisonhits2 says: Sep 17, 2013 10:07 AM

It would be nice to get the full speed reps before the tougher opponents hit in week 4, but I hope they sit him if he needs the extra week

2. marcuswelby70 says: Sep 17, 2013 10:07 AM

Hold him out one more week Bill!!!

3. ampats says: Sep 17, 2013 10:31 AM

I think Gronk will get some snaps this week as he has not had any contact since he got hurt last year.

I think it is more important to have Gronk, Amendola, Vereen etc healthy for the second half run. Now Slater could be out for several weeks.

4. clarencewhorley says: Sep 17, 2013 10:34 AM

I hope Bill and Tom realize that with this team the only thing that matters is the playoffs. They are 2-0, and should go 4-2 or 5-1 total in the division. That means they only need to will 5-6 more games our of 10 to make the playoffs.

Gronk, Amendola and Vareen will be needed in the playoffs and the young receivers need to get better from now till then. Pats should be happy with any win ugly or not if it helps develop the receivers.

5. jnbnet says: Sep 17, 2013 10:40 AM

It would be nice to see him in for maybe one quarter….get him a little real game time before a full return.

6. scaredhitless says: Sep 17, 2013 10:48 AM

The best thing about the Pats is Gronk.

7. brohamma says: Sep 17, 2013 11:05 AM

Don’t do it!

8. Obama's Ballsack says: Sep 17, 2013 11:21 AM

Slater is more valuable thank Gronk.

9. tsizzlesucks says: Sep 17, 2013 11:34 AM

Hey Obama’s Ballsack…you’re implying that B Hussein has balls. Big mistake…remember his yellow,oops, I mean red line!

10. sisqsage says: Sep 17, 2013 11:34 AM

Some yahoo in my Yahoo Fantasy League wanted to trade me Gronk for Jimmy Graham before the season even started. I still haven’t stopped laughing.

11. fordmandalay says: Sep 17, 2013 12:41 PM

50/50 is his blood to alcohol percentage.

12. forsbergler says: Sep 17, 2013 1:34 PM

clarencewhorley says:

LMAO, do your realize that your not even the 2nd best team in this division this year? You and the jets should be worried about countinig out the games your going to need to get a wild card spot.

Pats are realing right now and pushing the panic button. They’re bring this guy back way to early and some saftey is going to light him up while he is out of shape trying to play football not at 100%

13. CKL says: Sep 17, 2013 2:07 PM

sisqsage says:
    Sep 17, 2013 11:34 AM
    _________________________
    How interesting…whenever I see fantasy football related comments on actual football articles, I never stop cringing!

Usually when a guy has been out awhile, BB works them in for a few plays/ series in one game then more the next until he’s ready for full go. He even did that with Matt Light who was the LT once or twice. After watching how hard hitting that TB defense is, I’m ok with Gronk sitting another week.

14. psousa1 says: Sep 17, 2013 2:42 PM

No way he sees the field this week. No way.

Week 5 or 6

15. Ferdinand says: Sep 17, 2013 8:00 PM

I believe 100% that Gronkowski will be playing against this Buccaneers this week. I also believe 100% that no one but Gronkowski gives a damn about his weekend Madden plans.