NFL says some Super Bowl ticket prices may go down

Super Bowl XLV Getty Images

Shortly after we posted the news about Super Bowl ticket prices going up this season, the NFL contacted us to say it’s not quite that simple.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told PFT that ticket prices for this year’s Super Bowl haven’t yet been determined, but the premium tickets the Wall Street Journal reported would increase significantly represent only about 9,000 tickets in an 82,500-seat stadium. And the NFL says the plan is to charge $800 or less for about 30 percent of the seats, which is less than the cheapest seats cost at last season’s Super Bowl in New Orleans.

The reality, however, is that the face value of Super Bowl tickets doesn’t necessarily mean much. The Super Bowl isn’t a normal sporting event for which you can just log on to Ticketmaster and order a pair of tickets for you and a friend.

Still, some season ticket holders can buy face-value tickets. The NFL allows all 32 teams to distribute some Super Bowl tickets, with the two teams in the game each getting 17.5 percent of the tickets, the Giants and Jets each getting 3.1 percent as the host teams, and the other 28 teams each getting 1.2 percent. (The NFL retains the remaining 25.2 percent.)

But what often happens is that the fans who are able to buy Super Bowl tickets at face value through a lottery for season-ticket holders don’t actually go to the game. They re-sell the tickets at four or five times the face value.

So whether face value goes up, goes down or stays the same, don’t count on being able to find any tickets at face value. Or even close.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “NFL says some Super Bowl ticket prices may go down”
  1. FinFan68 says: Sep 17, 2013 1:00 PM

Are they planning on reducing the price for seats that don’t yet exist in the stadium?

2. godofwine330 says: Sep 17, 2013 1:10 PM

I have my Samsung 55″ 3DTV, and they can keep their expensive a$$ so-called cheap tickets. It doesn’t matter to 95% of us anyway, because we weren’t planning on going.

3. overratedsteelerhater says: Sep 17, 2013 1:11 PM

what ever the price is if your team is in it it’s worth every penny.it’s a bucket list thing.[the cold weather idea is a bad ]still have to go !!!

4. whatnojets says: Sep 17, 2013 1:26 PM

You mean that the NFL has time to read articles issued by PTF???

Wow…things must be slow at “Fine City USA” these days!!!

5. goodellisruiningtheleague says: Sep 17, 2013 1:32 PM

So glad it’s outside this year. Footballs a game thats supposed to be played in the elements.

6. watermelon1 says: Sep 17, 2013 1:33 PM

Sorry but the Super Bowl tickets should be sold to season ticket holders of both teams that actually play in the game.

The atmosphere at the Super Bowl is crap because most people are just there because they have a ton of money and want to party. It’s a bunch of celebs.

You want to do something for the fans? Let the fans whose teams are playing get first dibs on the tickets.

7. trollhammer20 says: Sep 17, 2013 1:34 PM

Were I Grand Poobah, fifty percent of all SB tickets would be distributed to one participating team, and fifty percent to the other.

Each team is allowed to set aside a certain number for team employees and players (for their families).

All remaining tickets are to be sold to loyal season ticket holders…you know, those who actually attend the games, and don’t see them as some kind of investment. A quick check of reseller websites should provide enough info to decide who is real and who is a scalper.

If the NFL is really serious about “back to football”, maybe they should apply that concept to the biggest game of the year, and fill the stadium to the top with real fans.

8. dan743moore says: Sep 17, 2013 1:45 PM

Real fans are at home in there man cave not at the game

9. twilson962 says: Sep 17, 2013 1:49 PM

Only $800!?!?! Well that’s only a 1/3rd of what I paid for my season tickets. I can totally afford to go now!

C’mon MAN!!!

Does nothing to curb the astronomical hotel prices for the host city…or airline tickets…

10. dirk504 says: Sep 17, 2013 2:00 PM

Game looks good on my Samsung. Screw their overpriced tickets.

11. yanksjetsknicks says: Sep 17, 2013 2:01 PM

The NY/NJ will be a success because only money matters. I read last week that only 2 luxury boxes are left. You can have them for the low prices of $900k and $650k.

12. herkulease says: Sep 17, 2013 2:11 PM

Why is the NFL holding a ridiculous 25% of the total tickets?

I know a majority of those tickets will be handed out to their corporate partners and sponsors. Assuming they don’t lower that cut it’ll be its roughly 18K to 20K tickets for the next 3 Superbowls depending on site. I get they need to sometimes grease the wheels and what not. Its business but they can easily do that with half the # of tickets.

At a minimum 50% of the tickets should be allocated to teams that are playing rather than the current 35%.

If the celebrities who are likely way more loaded than average fans, they can buy the jacked up ticket prices.

13. umrguy42 says: Sep 17, 2013 2:14 PM

So, if the Giants or Jets somehow made the Super Bowl, does that mean they’d get 20.6% of the tickets? (17.5% for being a team in the SB, plus the 3.1% for being the host team)

Also, let’s say the 49ers make it a couple years down the road when it’s at their new stadium – do they get 23.7% – or the 20.6%? Is it normally 6.2% (or so) to the host team, but split here because of the two teams?

14. blackandbluedivision says: Sep 17, 2013 2:25 PM

I would hope so. If player salary is starting to level off, where is all that money going if the ticket prices are rising.

15. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Sep 17, 2013 2:36 PM

Well that’s nice of ya if you are going to ask them to sit in the freezing cold of NJ in Feb.

16. thefox61 says: Sep 17, 2013 2:37 PM

And to think the NFL is a non-profit organization

17. ruthlessburgher says: Sep 17, 2013 3:15 PM

I’ve won the season ticket holder lottery for Super Bowl tickets twice and went to both games. Experience of a lifetime for a true NFL fan. Sure, I could have made a hefty profit if I wanted to sell the tickets, but being able to see my team win two Super Bowls in person is absolutely priceless. Had the opportunity to get face value tickets in 2005 ($600) and 2008 ($800) and the memories that I have of those games are worth way more to me than $1400 (or even five times face value that I could have sold them for). Went with my father to Detroit and with my brother to Tampa. Look forward to going with my son in the future, hopefully.

18. marvsleezy says: Sep 17, 2013 3:19 PM

I buy mine from Mike Tice every year, Ive never had a problem.

19. rcali says: Sep 17, 2013 3:57 PM

Those continuous commercial breaks are going to be awesome for those sitting in the blizzard.

20. bsizemore68 says: Sep 17, 2013 5:19 PM

I still have my ticket stubs from Super Bowl 2 down at the Orange Bowl ( RIP ) and the west end zone tickets were $15 dollars each, I grab 3 tickets, and didn’t stand in line either, there was no line, and I was broke after that until pay day, I guess today you really need some big bucks to go and set in the cold weather in Jersey. Bill