Broncos put Ryan Clady on season-ending injured reserve

AP

Ryan Clady’s season is over.

The Broncos have placed Clady, their starting left tackle, on season-ending injured reserve, according to the Denver Post.

Clady suffered a Lisfranc foot injury in Sunday’s win over the Giants, and after having it checked out, the team’s medical staff has decided that he’s going to need several months to recover. He will be gone throughout the entire regular season and postseason.

The job of protecting Peyton Manning’s blind side now falls to Chris Clark, who has started just six games while bouncing around the NFL for six years. The Broncos will also sign free agent offensive tackle Winston Justice.

The Broncos placed the franchise tag on Clady early in the offseason, and they eventually signed him to a five-year, $57.5 million contract with $33 million guaranteed. Losing him will be a major blow to a team that many consider the favorites to win the Super Bowl.

93 responses to “Broncos put Ryan Clady on season-ending injured reserve

1. NOT GOOD. Luckily for Manning, he knows how to work with a sub-par offensive line. The line was gelling quite nicely too. Not great, not the end of the world, just wish this didn’t happen.

2. It definitely hurts but Peyton is maybe the best ever at getting rid of the football. He once made a Super Bowl with Charlie Johnson as his LT.

3. joetoronto says:
    Sep 18, 2013 11:51 AM
    I can see that neck from here. 🙂
    ___________________________

4. It is a pretty big blow, but the drop off with Clark wasn’t all that steep. He looked a little better in run blocking and blowing his guy off the ball. In pass blocking he should hold up well enough with Manning getting into the right play and getting rid of the ball quickly.

It never helps to lose a starting O-Lineman, but at least the Broncos had a little bit of depth there.

5. Man….I’m not picking the Raiders.

But if one week set up right for them to get the Broncos this year it would be this one.

No Miller against our re-built line. No Clady against our 9 sacks in 2 games. No defined offensive scheme for the Broncos to study.

I don’t know. I’m hopeful but staying realistic. We need to grind em down and get to Manning a few times. It’ll take at least 30 points. Pryor better have his horses fired up!

6. Doesn’t kill their season but wow that’s a huge blow. Peyton may be great at getting rid of the ball but they didn’t pay Clady $58 mil just for kicks.

7. Every time there’s a lisfranc injury media reports and the players themselves seem optimistic at first. But after a short time they realize that this is the worst injury a football player can have and they get put onto injured reserve.

Santonio Holmes, MJD etc. These guys think they can gut it out but this injury is a season ender every time.

Any time you lose one of the best players at his position in the NFL it’s a big blow.

Denver will still win games of course but they are a worse football team in multiple ways today then they were just a few days ago.

8. nickfalzone10 says:
    Sep 18, 2013 11:56 AM
    This guy is really good, he just can’t seem to stay healthy.

Lol he’s never missed a game before this injury

9. Naw the bandwagon didn’t crash. Were riding it all the way to the Superbowl. Anyways our wagon is really a monster truck rolling over teams at will. Yours is next.

10. Bad news for the Broncos, but the rest of the teams in the improving AFC West may sense some vulnerability.

We don’t cheer a major loss due to injury to a rival, but, frankly, 17 years of John Elway was enough to shape our attitudes about chinks in the armor of Peyton Manning’s new team.

Thoughts and prayers to all who were victimized by the recent, mind boggling flooding.

11. Not as big of a deal as some wish it was. Clark will be very good at left tackle, and with peyton getting rid of the ball so quickly this might only amount to a few more sacks this year. Don’t see how this prevents 40+ points per game.

12. joetoronto says: Sep 18, 2013 11:51 AM

I can see that neck from here

Joetoronto = Bitter Raiders fan who’s team perennially SUCKS, and gets beaten down by Denver every.single.year. I’m sure you can take a lot of solice that instead putting up 50 on that pathetic team of yours with crap attendance, Denver will ‘only’ score 35 now. Congrats loser.

Tampa- 48 Oakland – 21. Remember that game? I do too. It was fun.

13. Perfect trimming, sorry about Ryan great young man from Boise State!!! But Raider Nation is licking its chops!!! Manning served up on a plate! Watch your back Peyton I would! Love his Dad and that GM Bucked toothed Donkey Elway Guy!!hehe

14. The comments from Raiders fans is truly precious.

Your guys lost to the Colts (who just lost at home to the Dolphins) and beat the Jags, the worst team in football. Good luck beating the team that many consider the best in the AFC on the road in prime time.

15. 1. Let’s put a little perspective on who the raiders have played so far before we go nuts about their sack numbers
    2. You’re going to see even more of Moreno (best blocking RB on the team) and two TE sets now.

Losing Clady sucks, but I don’t think it will be too big of deal as the season goes on….

16. What Is Going on?!? This Off Season And Season Is Ridiculious! Von… Koppen…Now Clady?! Talk About Snake Bitten…Can Someone Else Please Get Hurt?! We Still Have One Or Two Linemen Left… Lets Get Them Hurt Too!!

17. For most this is a setback, for Peyton “4 eyes” Manning it’s barely a hiccup for him as he doesn’t have any blind sides. I’m not so sure Manning couldn’t succeed without a line all together. The only thing that will effect the Broncos and Manning is extreme cold weather and we won’t see that till………well, the playoffs.

18. I’ve never seen manning get sacked more than once a game. I don’t see this being an issue. He is just too good to the point where I think he wouldn’t even need an offensive line at all.

19. shogunassasin30 says:
    Sep 18, 2013 12:03 PM
    joetoronto says: Sep 18, 2013 11:51 AM

I can see that neck from here

Tampa- 48 Oakland – 21. Remember that game? I do too. It was fun

———————————————–

All time record? 60-45-2 Raiders…it’s gonna take a couple years buddy. And The Raiders are getting better while Manning gets older.

Superbowl titles? Raiders 3 – Broncos 2

Worst loss in a superbowl? San Fran 55 – Denver 10. I remember that and it was a blast.

History lessons are fun.

20. @shogunassassin30

Did you put your maxipad on sticky side up this morning? Why so angry? Peyton has a huge neck, get over it.

21. Smart move. Clady is a long term investment and one of the highest paid linemen in the NFL. Even if the “Peyton Window” is small, you don’t ruin a career of a great player by rushing him back into action.

Next man up.

22. raiderufan says:
    Sep 18, 2013 12:14 PM
    ———————————————–

Superbowl titles? Raiders 3 – Broncos 2

History lessons are fun.

####################

That’s all well and good, I’m happy that you can hold on to those precious memories…but you’re still losing on Monday.

23. Now now, people. The Broncos will still make the playoffs; then when they get knocked out by the eventual world champions, the NFL will let them rematch in Denver to start the next season.

24. Can someone explain to me why Raiders fans are talking trash?

Shouldn’t they be busy beating up one of their fellow fans for no reason?

25. Joe, were you even alive in the 60’s and 70’s back when the raiders were actually dominant? Atleast I wasn’t swimming around in my dad’s sack last time Denver won back2back.

Raiders are getting better? How many years in a row can Raiders fan say this? Funny. Also – I don’t give a damn that Peytons window is small. We have Peyton and you don’t. Tomorrow isn’t promised. I’d rather go for rings now then hypothetically being decent 5 yrs from now. Sweet logic though

26. .

A prime example of why preseason predictions and early season performances are skewed. Tell me who’s on your roster on Dec 1.

And ” next man up ” only works if you’ve got another All Pro LT riding the pine.

27. Raiders lead the league in sacks (after playing 2 garbage teams, yes indy doesn’t look good) and Broncos leading the league in INTs after playing 2 superbowl winning QBs.

I’d rather be the Broncos with the QB that’s awesome against the blitz than the raiders with a young unproven QB.

28. raiderufan says:
    Sep 18, 2013 12:14 PM
    ———————————————–

Superbowl titles? Raiders 3 – Broncos 2

History lessons are fun.

———————————-
    Your last superbowl win was the 1983 season.
    In the last 30 years since, you have gone to the superbowl ONE time (and lost)
    In that same time space, the Broncos have gone to the Superbowl 5 times and won 2 of them.
    Since the raiders moved back to Oakland in 1995, the Broncos have gone 25-11 vs the raiders.
    Its completely understandably why you would want to hold onto the memories of the 70’s and early 80’s…..
    You are right though…History is Fun!!!

29. Right colofan8…like there are no fights among idiotic Donkey fans in Denver. Typical Donkey fan…stupid.

30. joetoronto says:
    Sep 18, 2013 11:51 AM
    I can see that neck from here. 🙂
    ___________________________

_______
    This “person” does not just hate on the broncos. He spreads his hate to the four corners. I imagine he leads a very solitary life. The only happiness this thing achieves is from belittling and attacking others.
    Feel pity, not hate for it.

31. @somethingsmellsrotten, we all know you can’t go to a California sporting event without the fear of getting shot, stabbed, or beaten unconscious.

When’s the last time a fan incident involving violence at a Denver sporting event made national news?

32. Love seeing all the Broncos fans, who this summer were trying to convince us that Clady is one of the best LTs in the game and is worth 52.5M$ now saying that losing him isn’t that big of a deal and they’ll find a way to manage. Can’t have it both ways.

33. I’m cracking up at some of these posts. It’s even going to be more classic when the Raiders get picked apart on prime time monday night football. What’ll be the best, however, is when Davis wises up and moves his team into a real market and leaves the black hole in the rearview mirror along with all of the baggage the franchise, up to now, has been unable to get past. Tiujuana would be an upgrade.

34. There’s no replacing a Tackle the caliber of Ryan Clady. There just isn’t.

I don’t hope the Broncos crash & burn by any means. I’m actually pulling for them in the AFC. But you have to be realistic and say that losing an All-Pro LT in Week 3 is NOT ideal, especially in a pass-happy offense.

35. Yep, joetoronto is a perpetual hater.

I know quite a few Raider fans, and I know that this is certainly not true of all of them, but there are some who have watched as their team went from the fearsome silver and black of the late 70s – early 80s into the pit of setting the record for most consecutive 10+ loss seasons.

Plus, they had to watch as coaches fired by Al Davis went on to Super Bowl glory with other teams….one time, at the expense of the Raiders themselves.

So it’s pretty understandable why some…not all…Raider fans would be bitter and miserable, and try to pass that bitterness and misery on with every post they make.

36. “joetoronto says:
    Sep 18, 2013 11:51 AM
    I can see that neck from here.
    ___________________________

I have never seen anyone with such a hatred for one team/player in my life. Joe needs to get a life and stop trolling PFT looking for Broncos stories to negatively post on.”

Don’t take it personal. He trolls the Bengals too. He’s a disgruntled Faiders fan angry about the Carson Palmer trade

37. broncosaddict says:
    Sep 18, 2013 12:44 PM

Your last superbowl win was the 1983 season.
    In the last 30 years since, you have gone to the superbowl ONE time (and lost)
    Its completely understandably why you would want to hold onto the memories of the 70′s and early 80′s…..
    You are right though…History is Fun!!!
    ———————————————-

I’m not the one who brought up Superbowls my team didn’t play in to make fun of another team. His point was clearly how badly we got beaten. Your team has the worst beating. EVER.

At no point here or in any other have I said the Raiders of recent past are better than the Broncos overall record wise. In fact my first comment said I wouldn’t pick the Raiders.

And since we are so deeply against history that proves your storied franchise can’t hold the Raiders jock and we just know the Raiders will never get better how about the last 6 games against the Broncos? 3-3.

And just in case the last 6 games isn’t enough for you….the last 8? 4-4. the last 10? 5-5 How about the last 12…this couldn’t keep up could it? Yep. It can. 6-6.

Doesn’t really matter what history you look at. You might think you’re dominant against us….and you might think the last 10 years proves we are nothing…but when it’s Raiders Donkeys it doesn’t matter. We will fight and we will win our share. You’re gonna have to get over it.

38. what’s trollonto doing here? Taking a break from trolling Chiefs articles I guess.

Better target the neck in the 1st Qtr. Denver’s 2nd string will be in after that.

Broncos 45-Raiders 3

What will Pryor do now that he has to play against a team with a defense?

39. HAHAHA chokeland fans still think they hope. ooo 9 sacks? against crappy overall olines and QBs who hold the ball way too long. Chris Clark would better than anyone on your o-line, we will still hang 40+ on that sorry excuse of a “football” team. Losing Clady sucks but its next man up. Its a little something called depth, you guys might wanna look into that. Well first you should start on recognizing talent. Instead of worrying bout Peyton, your concern should be pryors health, hes getting smacked up this week. Peyton goes off 400+ 4TDs no sacks. Final 49-10. God I love raider week!

40. That is bad news, but not the end of the world for Manning he is played with much worst offensive lineman in the past and still has manage a couple MVP Awards.

41. I honestly don’t think that Clady’s injury will have a major impact on the Burros’ o-line. The reason is that Alex Gibbs is back with them as a consultant for their o-line and Gibbs as an o-line coach was probably one of the dirtiest SOBs in league history. I remember his M.O. when he was with Denver under Shanarat was to train his o-linemen (Nalen, Schlereth, etc) to dive for the knees of d-linemen and LBs. A sick ‘technique’ which got past the refs but ‘effective’ because no d-linemen wants his season to end with a blown knee which by necessity makes them less aggressive.

Unfortunately I think the Raiders d-linemen and LBs will have to preoccupy themselves with self-protection.

42. Isn’t this great!! A Great AFC West showdown like old times!! I love coming to Denver, they have really made that a beautiful city and props to my boy Mr Elway for helping with that! Love Cherry Creek and the downtown area! Back in the 80’s it was a dump! Denver’s fans are great people and great fans like my Raider fans just wish we had a better stadium for Mr Davis and team. Watching the A’s game the other night they said a sewer break was flooding in front of dugout! It’s time for a New Raider Stadium! Hello Magic bring the boys home to LA to Dodger Stadium for a couple of years and lets build a New Stadium that was in the works in the 80’s before the Coliseum comish screwed that up! Mr O’Malley and Mr Davis had it figured out!!!! Anyway it will be a great game but let’s not act like idiots please! We all can party in parking lot before game and eat and tell stories but let also set good examples for our kids!! Be safe folks!!! Please!!! God Bless All !! Raiders 24-17

43. Well if it simmers down all of the Broncos lovers so we can talk about some other teams for the #1 power ranking spot, then that’s ok with me. I find the Broncos to be making too many mistakes to deserve so much props. This team could have and should have been much better than what they are. Now let’s see how they deal with a tough untimely injury and we can see what they are really made of.

44. Losing Clady is a huge loss. It’s called optimism buddy. Try it sometime. The rest of the team is so good we think we’ll be ok. We have enough to beat the Raiders bad that’s for certain. You can’t really beat the Jags and have bragging rights. They are terrible.

45. broncosaddict says:
    Sep 18, 2013 12:44 PM

Your last superbowl win was the 1983 season.
    In the last 30 years since, you have gone to the superbowl ONE time (and lost)
    You are right though…History is Fun!!!
    ———————————————-

——————–
    Please keep going, its kinda funny where you stopped at 6-6….why is that, because you COULDNT go any further back could you?
    Also, I went back 18 years not 10.

I dont need proof to show the Broncos can’t hold the Raiders jock simply because nobody wants to hold that dirty, crusty thing. Have you seen your stadium lately…

We do agree on one thing, Faider/Bronco games are awesome!!

46. This is a huge Blow to the Line, They dont pay a guy 33 million guaranteed if he isnt one of the best O lineman in the game. Great time for it to happen if your a Raider fan.

Reading the posts above, I thought Its funny how none of the Donkey Fans mention one of the Best Donkey Beat Downs in recent memory–

Oct, 24th 2010-Raiders Destroy Donkeys 59-14

This is obviously a much better Denver Team but, the Raiders weren’t much in 11′ either. Both teams always show up to play in this rivalry regardless of their talent…That Game in 2010 not included…McFadden went into Beast mode that day w 165 yards and 4 Td’s. We will need Both Pryor and McFadden to have an amazing night Monday to pull this out! No Clady. von miller, Bailey and Dumerveil now gone will def help…….

47. thestrategyexpert says: Sep 18, 2013 2:07 PM

– – – – – – – – – – – –

Uh oh. They might now allow one sack and only put up 42 points against the raiders on Monday…

Noooooooooooooo

48. This injury just hurt the quality of our team big time. Hopefully Clark steps up for us but who knows. This is why you put in your back ups when your winning a game 40-20 in the 4 th quarter…big mistake by our coaches late in giants game. I was worried about senseless injuries but I thought we were good when clady walked off on his own power. Hopefully we can learn from this huge coaching mistake because I have a feeling that we will by up by 20 points late a lot this season.

49. colofan8:

Well we shall see just how well that OL holds up! But I’m still concerned about how their Defense fares in the playoffs against some better teams. Do you have any confident zingers for that side of the ball?

50. tonyugoh says:Sep 18, 2013 11:52 AM

It definitely hurts but Peyton is maybe the best ever at getting rid of the football. ……
    ================================

Yea, did you see him get rid of the ball last January against the Ravens in the overtime period?

51. broncosaddict says:

Also, I went back 18 years not 10.

—————————————————-
    Actually the ONLY time in the series history that the Burros completely dominated was when Shanahan was your HC….because like Schottenheimer he had a singular hatred of the Raiders. Well Shanahan is no longer your HC which is why – despite the Raiders being bad – the series has been competitive over the last 5 or 6 years. In fact overall, I think Denver only has a slight edge over the last 35 years or so (Raiders dominated the series in the early 90s which partially counteracted the Shanahan years).

Having said that I think the Raiders are in such bad shape this year (due to a roster depleted from carrying so much dead cap money) that they’ll be hard pressed to beat ANY good team. However it’s not out of the realm of possibility that they are competitive on Monday night. The roster has a lot of no-names but they seem to play very hard.

52. Didn’t the Broncos pick some guy in the draft that was supposed to be a great left tackle? I seem to recall reading about him and that Clady was unhappy with the pick enough that he didn’t want to sign his tender.

Hmm…maybe I’m just getting old and it was another team with a great QB that can’t run…Or maybe I was dreaming…

53. thestrategyexpert says: Sep 18, 2013 2:33 PM

Do you have any confident zingers for that side of the ball?

– – – – – – – – – – –

Safeties – improved
    Corners – improved
    D Line – improved
    LB – same

Haven’t even been playing with Von yet and lead the league in INTs

I think they will be fine. Remember, they were a top 5 defense last year. In that Baltimore game, Bailey and Moore had their worst games of their careers. No way a team goes deep that much on the Broncos this year.

54. donnymacjack says: Sep 18, 2013 2:53 PM

– – – – – – – – –

Only true tackle they have drafted since Clady was Vinston Painter in the 6th round or this years draft. Paiter started 13 games in college and was seen as a project. Was cut in training camp….

55. broncosaddict says:
    Sep 18, 2013 12:44 PM

Also, I went back 18 years not 10.

We do agree on one thing, Faider/Bronco games are awesome!!
    ———

“No, don’t look at that. Not that either! Only the period you were the worst! SEE! We rule!”

I can’t use the Raiders full past and I can’t use the last 6 years.

You can go back to 95, which just happens to include the worst 9 year period of our history, to prove your dominance and ignore the .500 record of the last 6.

Those are funny rules.

56. randyschwimmer7 says:Sep 18, 2013 11:54 AM

joetoronto says:
    Sep 18, 2013 11:51 AM
    I can see that neck from here.
    ___________________________

————————————————

You should see his “work” in Chargers stories

57. Tough break for the Broncos but… it IS Peyton. He has played on far worse lines with Indy… he will not miss a beat.
    That said, as much as I hate the Raiders, i have a feeling that Pryor is going to play out of his mind and give the Raiders a chance.

58. Clark is good enough to pancake run-block. Even pass rushers will get a good enough push-back to keep them off Peyton for a bit. Sure, if Peyton goes receiver shopping, there may be a sack or two. But, overall this isn’t near as bad as losing Von Miller.

59. Clady has been incredibly consistent since the broncos drafted him – his playing record at that position speaks for itself. Hope for him that he can recover fully, it’s a complicated injury and recovery process. A lot of pressure on Clark, everyone in Denver will be watching him. Maybe Broncos will run it a bit more now ?

60. Peyton Manning just said at least were playing the Raiders they have sucked for decades so im not worried at all …I might even want to break my TD passing records..tell you how confident I am i wont even watch film or go to practice…and I will still beat them to a pulp ..”