Nate Burleson: We aren’t the same old Lions

Detroit Lions v Arizona Cardinals Getty Images

On Football Night in America last Sunday night, Tony Dungy remarked that watching the Lions lose a game thanks in large part to some crippling penalties led him to the conclusion that these were the “same old Lions.”

Members of the Lions disagree with that assessment. Despite being flagged for 19 penalties through two weeks, wide receiver Nate Burleson said that the 2013 Lions are “a much different team” than they’ve been in recent years and that he thought it was too early in the season to make such sweeping proclamations anyway.

“I didn’t hear him say that, but I don’t appreciate those words. I’m very sensitive about my team,” Burleson said, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “I wonder what he said after Week 1. Did he say the same thing after we started the season off on a good note against a good team with a good running back and get a victory? It’s the NFL. I don’t want people to get too caught up in immediate results. Yes, this is the regular season, we’re 1-1, but you can’t say the same old Lions when we lose a tough game against a tough team on the road. We have another chance, hopefully we can turn Tony Dungy into a fan. I’m a fan of his.”

It’s hard to argue with the notion that you can put an indelible label on a team after two games, especially when they won one of them. At the same time, though, it’s pretty natural to feel like nothing much has changed when a team with a history of shooting itself in the foot with penalties shoots itself in the foot with penalties in each of their first two games. The next 14 games will determine how accurate Dungy was about the Lions.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Nate Burleson: We aren’t the same old Lions”
  1. logicalvoicesays says: Sep 18, 2013 8:21 AM

I’ll be so embarrased if we don’t blowout Detroit. We haven’t been trying to win these last two weeks intentionally. Now the season is starting and I expect to winout the rest of 2013. The Lions are an awful team outside of Calvin. Even looking at Calvin, I’d rather have Garçon, Moss and Hankerson, three top 10 WRs. We should win by at least 3 TDs. #BurgundyandGoldStandard

2. nesby2 says: Sep 18, 2013 8:21 AM

When it’s dealing with the Lions… “Aint nothin’ change but the numbers on the range.” LOL

3. jrmbadger says: Sep 18, 2013 8:23 AM

“Did he say the same thing after we started the season off on a good note against a good team with a good running back and get a victory? ”

Ok, he lost me there. The Vikings are not, by anyone’s objective definition, a good team.

4. mn1288 says: Sep 18, 2013 8:24 AM

Same old clown show….Better?

5. hatesycophants says: Sep 18, 2013 8:30 AM

Tony Dungy is terrible on television.

6. maskill6 says: Sep 18, 2013 8:31 AM

I am a die hard Lions fan. Until I am proven otherwise, I agree with Dungy on this one, Mr. Burleson. Same ole Lions.

Now, that being said, go out and prove everyone wrong.

7. thetruthcampaign says: Sep 18, 2013 8:34 AM

We WERE saying SOL throughout the first half of the week 1 game. We were saying it again at key points in the week 2 game. There a lot that looks good and much that looks like SOL right now. Get rid of the SOL moments, and we’re a good team.

8. 49erstim says: Sep 18, 2013 8:40 AM

I think Burleson misunderstood the criticism. This team is talented, but too undisciplined. I don’t understand why Jim Schwartz doesn’t take more heat because of this. If Tony Dungy says something I don’t think (as a football player) you should just dismiss it out of hand. Dungy is an extremely fair critic and he is somebody whos opinion I respect…..as should Nate Burelson.

9. duece5 says: Sep 18, 2013 8:55 AM

Hey Nate…..the Vikings just didn’t oblige!!!!

IF Ponder wouldn’t be so turnover crazy, you would have lost…..yes, you guys had some of the stupidest mistakes in that game……Ponder plays AVERAGE, and they win.

You looked bad in a win.

You looked bad in a loss, hence, SAME OLD LIONS.

You should be sensitive to your team’s lack of discipline.

It is objective, and MANY analysts, just not Dungy, have the same view?

WHY? Because it’s what they see on the field…..prove them wrong, and you won’t get the criticism.

My guess is you’re 8-8 by the end of the year.

10. thetruthcampaign says: Sep 18, 2013 8:57 AM

And, Dungy is from Jackson, MI, so he was a Lion’s fan at one time. SOL is what a Lion’s fan says, because there’s disappointment in there.

11. mvp43 says: Sep 18, 2013 9:02 AM

Umm…….. yes you are Nate.

Plenty of talent but no discipline.

12. bunjy96 says: Sep 18, 2013 9:03 AM

You sure Dungy wasn’t talking about Tampa?

19 penalties in 2 games? Doesn’t Tampa do that in every game?

13. psousa1 says: Sep 18, 2013 9:22 AM

I remember Bill Parcells once saying “Dumb players do dumb things”.

You can always count on that.

14. gibson34 says: Sep 18, 2013 9:29 AM

illogical voice iii is back in the house…..mental hospital released you I guess. LMAO. 0-6 to start the season buddy so I have a new song for you…..

FAIL TO THE REDSKINS……LMAO….

15. thetruthcampaign says: Sep 18, 2013 9:29 AM

Against the Vikes, the Lion’s made a dominating win seem very difficult. Against the Cards, they beat themselves as they did so many times last season. The Lions beat themselves more than other teams beat them.

16. whatjusthapped says: Sep 18, 2013 9:32 AM

Nate’s got a point, the same ole Lions went 0-16.

This year’s version is good for 4, maybe 5 wins.

17. goodellisruiningtheleague says: Sep 18, 2013 9:33 AM

They’ll probably smoke the Redskins this weekend anyways

18. jayesix says: Sep 18, 2013 9:40 AM

logicalvoicesays is hilarious. He/she passed troll-hood eons ago and resides in pure satire. Must watch comments, but never reply to the actual content because it is intended solely for comedic purposes.

19. pointywilliams says: Sep 18, 2013 9:45 AM

ONE playoff win since 1957. Sorry, Nate, but as a stellar local radio guy says over and over.. “Facts are mean”.
    Truth.

20. anthonioustheprettygood says: Sep 18, 2013 9:49 AM

thetruthcampaign says:Sep 18, 2013 9:29 AM

^^^This is the smartest comment I’ve read in quite some time. Its just plain true.

21. hatesycophants says: Sep 18, 2013 1:57 PM

Stop defending the fact that you’re a crappy fan. You epitomize what sucks about Lions fans. Anything that doesn’t go the way you think it should, you’re ready to attack our team. No, real Lions fans don’t say “Same old Lions” during the first games of the season.

22. thestrategyexpert says: Sep 18, 2013 2:10 PM

YES you are the same old Lions! Everything is exactly the same far, nothing has changed even slightly over the last decade. Just different names on the jerseys, but identical product and attitude. It sucks and they have no shot of competing at a high level playing like this. No freakin’ way.