Darren Sproles: Dashon Goldson tried to hurt me

AP

Saints running back Darren Sproles says Buccaneers safety Dashon Goldson was clearly intending to injure him when he delivered a helmet-to-helmet blow in Sunday’s game.

He tried to hurt me on the play, but he didn’t,” Sproles said.

Sproles said that when he watched replays of the hit, he could see that Goldson was aiming to drill him in the head. Sproles added that Goldson has a history of delivering “dirty” hits.

Goldson got a 15-yard penalty for the hit on Sproles and was initially suspended for a game, although on appeal his punishment was reduced from a one-game suspension to a $100,000 fine. That’s a hefty fine and it comes on the heels of a $30,000 fine Goldson incurred in Week One, but at some point, if fines and 15-yard penalties aren’t stopping Goldson’s dirty play, a suspension is going to have to be the next step.

85 responses to “Darren Sproles: Dashon Goldson tried to hurt me

1. Artie Lang says: “Waaaaaaaaaaaa”

If Darlene Sproles hadn’t dropped his head and lowered his 5’1 frame cowering, that hit would have been waist high.

Brees and Sproles complaining about dirty hits…..that’s funny.

2. Not only is his comment BS, but so is the one from Brees. Your 5′ 8′ you are low to the ground and the D-Back is in flight to hit you waist high and you duck. Where did you think he was going to hit you. If you don’t want to be hit in the head, stand and meet the D face to face.

I say put girls pants on them and play flag.

3. This is ridiculous, I’m a niner fan I’ve watched Goldson for years. He’s not a dirty player, but he hits hard, really hard and usually clean. Darren Sproles is 5’6 and put his head down. What does anyone expect here!?! This flag happy league is starting to piss me off. I saw way too many flags this last week, a lot of it was BS, it’s ruining the game.

Maybe they should just have two refs on the field so they can’t catch every tic tac questionable call.

I get that they want to portray they re protecting players to keep the youth playing the sport, but they re taking away from the product on the field.

4. daysend564 says: Sep 19, 2013 6:43 PM

Bounties are only good if your team is the ones dishing out the punishments.

—————————————————————-

Show me one clip where the Saints ever did anything like that. I’ll be waiting.

In the meantime try to stop believing every line of bullcrap Roger Goodell feeds you.

5. Opposing offensive players injured during the Saints supposed “bounty” years:

1. Giants right tackle Kareem McKenzie
    2. ….. oh yeah, that’s right, there wasn’t another one.

Try thinking for yourselves, people.

6. Hoops737 is a fool.

Tackling and hitting is football, if it was helmet to helmet so what he’ll get fined (unfortunately) ….. I would take Suh and Goldson on my “D” ANYDAY. too bad football is turning into this PC don’t do this /don’t do that BS……I love the NFL and football but things are getting a little too wussified these days…….

And by the way with the word HOOPS in your name on general principle u should be banned from this site !!!!!

bring back the neckroll safties from the past to remind GOODELL how defense is played

7. Problem is, there are still gullible people who actually believed Goodell’s fabricated accusations and phantom “evidence”. Believe what you see on the field with your own eyes. If the refs throw a flag for personal foul, then that’s worth more than rumors of what the player might be thinking before the game. Saints have had the fewest personal foul penalties over the past 5 years. That’s real evidence.

8. I really getting sick and tired of the wimpy Saints players crying about how hard the Bucs were hitting them on Sunday! Now these are the same players who teammates were involved in ‘Bountygate’! Where were these Saints players when they were intentionally targeting Favre and Warner? They were silent even though they knew what was going on!! Them crying is like the Patriots crying if someone recorded their Practices!!! Get over yourselves already!!!!

9. “The Saints are soft this year, I got 100$ Tampa beats them by 14 next time”

You do know next time is in the Superdome where the Bucs lost 41-0 last year to the “worst defense in NFL history”, right? you really want that bet?

10. Yeah, we shouldn’t listen to Goodell. We should listen to your GM and coaches who admitted it when they accepted the suspensions.

Stop just listening to liars like Brees

11. The bucs won’t even have a head coach the next time these two teams play. They’ll be searching for answers yet again.

It’s amazing to see how weak minded and brainwashed people were with the bounty gate. Considering the saints didn’t injure any players nor get head hunting penalties during games, people must actually believe what Goodell said just because it wasn’t their team.
    It’s sad.
    Hopefully in this age of alternative media people won’t be such sheep to take the company line and run with it in the future.

Although I don’t have much hope for the fans who peruse this site.
    Drink the bounty koolaid.
    I hear Godell has a pretty red flavor for you to try next!

12. Dear Mr Sproles,
    Do you realize this is a mans game? Lil-boys should never play where their afraid of getting hurt. I’m sure Mr. Brees knows that know. And to all you “aint’s fans” please stop hating because your team was afraid to play against that Bucs defense. We men over here!!! And the league finding out that the N.O. has a bunch of cry babies. And lead by a real wimp.

13. translation.

“goldson tried to play football the way its been played for decades”. this is gettin old already. make everyone sign waivers not to sue and lets gets back to football.

14. Saints Haters Unite!!!
    Lets say the pledge:
    We the Saints haters, dedicated to hating the new Saints and even the old. We are forever conscious of Drew Brees passing record. We will never forget all the players the Saints injured in the Bounty scandal even though we can not name a single one. We will continuously hate on the Saints because they have a much better team than ours, we will Never under any circumstance admit this publicly. The Saints Haters…

Sincerely,
    The Falqueen’s, The Fukaqueer’s, The Viqueen’s, The Cowgirl’s

Who Dat!!!

15. If John lynch still played it would be great to see these guys crying about this and that.. I know lynch either would have retired or been on a suspension for a year after a game or two. The game is turning so soft, the hit on brees from Clayborn was awesome and legit and the refs still gave us crap about it

16. Hey Sproles.

Don’t duck your head and change the defenders target while he is in mid tackle. In case you didn’t know defenders don’t have eyeballs on their shoulder pads.

17. I am surprised that so many people who have been hit hard in the head are defending someone who delivers all his hard hits to the head. Goldson should man up and learn to tackle.

18. Maybe YOU should try thinking for yourself instead of being a homer.

————————————————————-

I am not a homer, but I do deal in facts.

And the facts say the Saints not only were one of the least penalized teams in those years when it came to personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conducts, but that they also had one of the lowest opponent injury rates.

But yeah, I’m sure you’re right, they were headhunting all those years and their only successful “hit” was a hamstring pull on an offensive lineman. That sounds reasonable.

19. Dear Mr Sproles,

—————————————————————-

Call the Saints all the names you want, beat your chest all you want. The Saints are 2-0, and your team is 0-2 and already circling the drain.

Have a nice season, guy.

20. I guess the precedent has been set. Play as dirty as you want……$100k fine.

For once I thought the league was on the right track. Money isn’t the issue to these guys, it only forces them to be accountable to their checkbook. Almost all these guys never had money to begin with, easy come easy go. Take them out of the game and you force them to be accountable to the team. Only then will you see a reduction in these types of hits.

21. When Gregg Williams was talking in the Saints locker room about “killing the head,” did Brees stand up and say that’s wrong? Nope.

So both Sproles and Drew need to sit down and shut up.

22. mdd913 says:
    Sep 19, 2013 7:05 PM
    daysend564 says: Sep 19, 2013 6:43 PM

Bounties are only good if your team is the ones dishing out the punishments.

—————————————————————-

Show me one clip where the Saints ever did anything like that. I’ll be waiting.

————————————–

I watched Vikings game with a friend who started 4 years of DI football. We were talking with each other about how crazy the hits on Favre were before bounty gate came out. Then, the NFL films clip of the game also shows a Saints player freaking out (in an excited way) that they knocked Favre out. The Saints 100% had a bounty on Favre in that game.

23. PS, your Saints were the main catalyst in “ruining the fun for everyone” because the NFL had to over react in the opposite direction with the lawsuits as well.

24. packman331 says: Sep 19, 2013 7:29 PM

Stop just listening to liars like Brees

——————————————————————-

LOL! You actually believe this, don’t you??

Look, if you want to be a sheep and believe everything old white men tell you, that’s your business. Those of us who have functioning brains will continue to be skeptical of anything we’re told that isn’t backed by facts and evidence.

25. Sounds like Bree’s and Sproles have hurt feelings. 1 TD against the “lowly” Bucs D, I guess the reason is they were scared.

26. He didn’t try to hurt Sproles, he tried to injure Sproles. Defensive player are supposed to try and hurt guys when they hit them. They aren’t supposed try to injure a guy

If you don’t know the difference, you’ve never played a contact sport

27. First Brees, now Sproles whining like little sissies. That’s rich coming from the Saint’s camp! Now I’m smelling a rat. By their baby talk, I would not be surprised if it was THEM that started all “unconfirmed” rumours about problems in the Tampa clubhouse.

28. There’s going to come a time, not too long from now, when you’ll be able to ask Dashon Goldson about his hard nosed style of play when he was in the NFL… And he won’t know what the hell you’re talking about. #CTE

29. First the coaches are whining and now the players. Players don’t want to practice in pads, don’t want to get hit, but they sure want that pay check. We as fans are becoming more and more scammed by the NFL.

30. It’s pretty comical to hear this from them. If all it took was watching some film to ascertain intent than wouldn’t all of the punishments have stuck on them? They need to watch how loudly they protest, or they might come across as hypocrites. Which they are.

31. Ignorant comments about them being soft isn’t true. The league obviously addresses these rules for a reason. Numerous blows to the brain (one of the most important organs in your body if not the most important) has long term effects. Muhammad Ali is a perfect example. These players don’t want to live there life after football with a messed up brain. Really should know your facts before you post ignorant comments…

32. There’s no way the Saints could have been guilty of inflicting injury on any opposing player. For the past few seasons their defense was never close enough to lay a hand on anybody.

33. mdd913 says:
    Sep 19, 2013 7:05 PM
    daysend564 says: Sep 19, 2013 6:43 PM

Bounties are only good if your team is the ones dishing out the punishments.

—————————————————————-

Show me one clip where the Saints ever did anything like that. I’ll be waiting.

—————————————————-
    2009 nfc champ game. “Favre’s down, give me my money.” It happened, we’ve all heard it. Doesn’t matter that they can’t prove who said it, we know a Saints player did. What now?

34. As kids, we played baseball called home run or nothing.

Maybe we should just change the league to passes only and name it touchdown or nothing.

The NFL is turning the sport into one for wussies.

I now buy Hockey season tickets.

35. Interesting that you manly keyboard operators are calling Sproles and Bree’s sissies. How tough do you have to be to play in the NFL if your Sproles’ size??? I’ll bet none of you even made it to D1 College football. I would like to see you guys ducking your head and crying when you got hit.
    You haters be careful not to injure those typing fingers now.

36. Lots of talk about being soft from out of shape guys sitting on their couches eating pizza.

Hilarious.

Bucs: 0-2 on their way to 0-3. Enjoy the season Bucs fans (all 6 of you).

37. jerry292 says:
    Sep 19, 2013 8:06 PM

So both Sproles and Drew need to sit down and shut up.
    ==================================
    You completely ignore the FACT that the Saints have NEVER came even remotely close to taking any opposing player’s head(s) off so keep on truck’n… Jealousy is not a good trait lol

38. daysend564 says:
    Sep 19, 2013 6:43 PM

“Bounties are only good if your team is the ones dishing out the punishments.”
    ___________________________________

How many helmet to helmet “bounty” hits did the Saints have and how much was assessed in fines? The entire defense had less than this 1 player or James Harrrison…take your pick.

The ex-D coordinator instituting an often used pay for performance program that isn’t executed by the vast majority of the players does not correlate into Karma for players after that cordinator’s departure.

Darren Sproles does not talk smack and many teams used bounties. It is and never was unique to the Saints.

39. Man this sucks because I really like Goldson because I think he is a great player! And everyone talking about the bounty stuff and how the Saints deserved it, I just wanted to say that Goldson has been taking cheap shots for a couple years now, and he is the only player on the team doing it! So please do not compare the two! I guess he is going to learn the hard way because next time the dude is def. getting suspended! I just hope he doesn’t seriously hurt someone in the process! And BTW even if the Saints were trying to hurt people they were going for legs and stuff! They were not trying to take someone’s head off!

40. matt24bucs says:
    Sep 19, 2013 8:46 PM

“First Brees, now Sproles whining like little sissies. That’s rich coming from the Saint’s camp! Now I’m smelling a rat. By their baby talk, I would not be surprised if it was THEM that started all “unconfirmed” rumours about problems in the Tampa clubhouse.”
    ___________________________________

u mad bro?

41. Doesn’t matter now. Saints won the game and the Sucs have been fined a small fortune and still have those jokes of coaches and QBs. Guess the jokes on them.

42. To all the d-bag Saint’s fans who think Bountygate is just some big conspiracy, what about the audio of Gregg Williams telling his players to take out the injured player’s knees? Was that just Goodell sitting on Ebaum’s World and creating that ish? There “may” have not been money involved, but there sure was intent to take players out of games. Favre? Warner? What about former players under Gregg Williams coming out and saying similar systems were in place when he coached them? But, more than the Saints players, I blame the refs for being even bigger d-bags for missing numerous personal fouls because this is more prevalent than just with the 2012 Saints team. If they were throwing flags and penalizing players then, the way they are now……imagine.

Wikipedia the Saints bounty scandal. Seriously. It’s a balanced report.

BTW, if this was another team and not the Saints, you Saints fans would be bashing that team just like the rest of us.

43. Lol dirtyer then Suh??! If Stomping hands, heads and groins of down players is cleaner then an illegal hit that was legal 3 years ago then im done with football. I remember watching football in the 90s and fans would roar for hits like that. Now im not saying its legal or right of goldson!! In my eyes though its a lot cleaner then suh!! I feel goldson was doing his job an both men were at the right place wrong time!!

44. Amazing! One season ago I’m sure that most of you commenting about bounties and flag ball would have been totally ok with the fine with Daints getting the flag. And yes let’s get off subject and bring up bounties. Saints are still and NFL team and are to be treated as such. I’m sure if our defense made that same play you complainers would have a different take on it!!!
    Sproles and Bress are on offense. They have never been accused of a bounty.
    I’m sure most of you last season squealed “it’s all about safety” of course!!! Another team is out if the way.
    Truth is! It is about safety! These teams are aware and if you hit helmet to helmet you draw the penalty!! End of story.
    So instead why not say “yes he got the fine. He did wrong 2 weeks in a row. And maybe playing cleaner we can avoid penalities and win”
    It’s like accusing the victim. See it for what it is and stop making excuses!!! Boy saints heard that all last season. So take you own advice!!

45. I’m amazed at the ignorance of some people. Fact: during the so-called “Bountygate” years, the Saints DID NOT lead the league in personal foul penalties. A clear indication that they were not playing any “dirtier” than other NFL teams. I was also watching some random NFL show the other day & former players were laughing & discussing some of the speeches that were given to them by their head coaches. They were talking about how their HC got the players all riled up by saying things like he was going to “punch the opposing HC in the face” in addition to a bunch of other violent acts. Like GW or not, players love to play for him & words are just words. If everything said in a locker room was taken literally, then guys would be dead on the field. Dashon Goldston has been flagged for personal foul hits like the one on Sproles over 10 times since I believe 2010. When a player is flagged over 10xs in a span of 3-4 seasons for flagrant fouls like this, then he is obviously dirty. Goldston clearly makes it a point to aim for the head. I’ve already watched a game where he knocked out a player from a helmet to helmet hit that wasn’t flagged. No flag was thrown because the player was not considered defenseless. Regardless, he was still unconscious.

46. This clown has been head hunting for a long time now. I’m a fan of big hits but when you are clearly out for someone’s head, that crosses the line. He should have been suspended! I loved Ronnie Lott and Steve Atwater because of their hard hitting style, with textbook takling. This would have been allowed in the present day rules, but this guy is always out to end someone’s career.