Ed Reed tried to talk coaches into playing him Sunday

Tennessee Titans v Houston Texans Getty Images

The Texans have been willing to give veteran safety Ed Reed time to recover form his offseason hip surgery, but he told coach Gary Kubiak Sunday he was ready to return.

“I think he was standing there Sunday saying, ‘I can give y’all something,'” Kubiak said, via Tania Ganguli of ESPN.com. “We just, we felt like, . . . the other decision — that was the best decision.”

Of course, everyone in the world is expecting him to play this week against his former team, the Ravens. Kubiak tried to downplay the significance of the opponent, however.

“I don’t sense that this is an earmark,” Kubiak said. “I think he’s been giving us everything he has to come back. . . . I see the same driven guy that I’ve seen the first few weeks.

“It just happens that here, we go to someplace that he’s played.”

The 35-year-old hasn’t played since having arthroscopic surgery in April to repair a torn labrum in his hip, and the Ravens have been careful to try to make the best long-term decisions.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Ed Reed tried to talk coaches into playing him Sunday”
  1. ravensterps says: Sep 19, 2013 9:41 AM

I think “someplace that he’s played” is a bit of an understatement.

2. ccjcsr says: Sep 19, 2013 9:47 AM

So he can be injured for the rest of the season.

3. swaynesworld says: Sep 19, 2013 9:50 AM

“and the Ravens have been careful to try to make the best long-term decisions.”

I think you mean his current team, the Texans, have been careful…

4. johnnyjagfan says: Sep 19, 2013 9:58 AM

If he was really ready he’d be on the field.

5. jjbadd385 says: Sep 19, 2013 10:36 AM

I hate when great players overstay their time in the NFL. He’s 35 and has been overused. He probably won’t play 8 games this year…his final year I predict.

6. ball20hawk says: Sep 19, 2013 11:27 AM

It’s hard to even write sentences about Ed reed now that he is with a team other then the ravens. It just dosent seem right….

7. crownofthehelmet says: Sep 19, 2013 11:53 AM

No doubt driven by the thought of multiple pick-six opportunities served up.