Martellus Bennett has done it again, folks

Willy Wonka Wilder Getty Images

It should not be surprising that the man who dubbed himself “The Black Unicorn,” has come up with a nickname for his new coach.

During an appearance on ESPN 1000, Bears tight end Martellus Bennett said that he and coach Marc Trestman were on the same wavelength, wherever that might be.

“I think me and Coach Trestman are probably the only two people who understand each other,” Bennett said (via the Chicago Tribune). “I always say Coach Trestman reminds me of the first Willy Wonka. Not the Johnny Depp one; the Johnny Depp one was really cool. But the first one. Before that. The 1943 version.”

It was 1971 when Gene Wilder portrayed the candy magnate in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, but Bennett was rolling.

“If you really look at Coach, he’s a genius,” Bennett said. “And a lot of times when you’re around really, really smart people, you don’t really understand them. I thought Willy Wonka was brilliant. I mean he had all kinds of candy. Who doesn’t like chocolate and candies? Everybody wanted a Gobstopper. Ya know? I just think he’s brilliant.”

If nothing else, Trestman has convinced Jay Cutler to not make the Veruca Salt face quite as often, and gotten rid of some of the Oompa Loompas who used to pass for offensive linemen around there.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
42 Responses to “Martellus Bennett has done it again, folks”
  1. michiganstillsucks says: Sep 19, 2013 10:32 AM

Da Bears will ROLL the pathetic Steelers.

They will be a pebble in the Bear’s road to the super bowl

2. nfloracle says: Sep 19, 2013 10:32 AM

With his ability to make weird insights that are possibly brilliant in an alternate universe, Martellus obviously has a career as an ESPN sports announcer after he retires from the NFL.

3. jazsrt says: Sep 19, 2013 10:35 AM

Great to see the players taking a liking to Trestman.

I hope it continues.

4. hartleechung says: Sep 19, 2013 10:35 AM

Unfortunately Cutler already did the whole first boy on TV routine. But the taffy stretcher didn’t work.

5. oilcandroid says: Sep 19, 2013 10:41 AM

It’s my kinda team, Charlie. My kinda team.

6. wipackman1265 says: Sep 19, 2013 10:47 AM

Stillers will punch Jay in the mouth… Pitt 20. Bears 13

7. Water-brother says: Sep 19, 2013 10:49 AM

Oh MartyB close your mouth before Willy Wonka shuts it for you!

8. jojopuppyfish says: Sep 19, 2013 10:51 AM

You forgot to mention that when they asked Trestman what he thought of the wonka label, he said he had never seen the movie.

9. DaveKShape says: Sep 19, 2013 10:52 AM

This is freaking great. I love it when dudes are kind of out there in a funny way.

10. richndc says: Sep 19, 2013 10:52 AM

I wondered where Sam Hurd’s stash ended up–now we now….

11. cheeks9441 says: Sep 19, 2013 10:52 AM

That’s fine, Bears fans, but just wait until the playoffs roll around…..

“YOU LOSE! GOOD DAY, SIR!”

12. cheeks9441 says: Sep 19, 2013 10:52 AM

“I SAID GOOD DAY!!!”

13. evansdad1221 says: Sep 19, 2013 11:01 AM

Go pack, go!!!

14. granadafan says: Sep 19, 2013 11:09 AM

Kudos to the Veruca Salt pouty face reference.

15. meatsweat says: Sep 19, 2013 11:15 AM

Awesome. Bennett’s stock just went through the roof in my book.

16. joeknowsnada says: Sep 19, 2013 11:22 AM

Well, at least Mark Trestman is a genius. Martellus is just a big kid who plays football, and does not appear to be all that bright. Yep, it was 1943, all right. Yep, pigs fly, and gobstoppers come in packs of 12 at the local 7-11.

Yep, save all that contract money, Martellus. You’re gonna need it after football is over. Unless you build a candy factory and take over the world.

17. trollhammer20 says: Sep 19, 2013 11:35 AM

It all started on the first day of camp, when Trestman got in front of the team, cleared his throat, and sang:

Come with me
    And you’ll be
    In a world of pure imagination…

18. crownofthehelmet says: Sep 19, 2013 11:47 AM

Nice candy references, fitting since his team will look like a bunch of marshmellows on Sunday.

19. sactogary says: Sep 19, 2013 11:52 AM

Everybody’s happy when you’re 2-0. Check back when they’re 3-5.

20. filthymcnasty1 says: Sep 19, 2013 12:06 PM

Because he lures kids with candy?

21. jc327 says: Sep 19, 2013 12:09 PM

Not really a big fan of Da Bears, but I’m staring to like Bennett…

22. midnite2020 says: Sep 19, 2013 12:10 PM

wow after that all I can say……wow

23. dlw492 says: Sep 19, 2013 12:13 PM

Seems like Martellus is smoking the Kush. He does have that look/screw what society says personality.

24. nananatman says: Sep 19, 2013 12:17 PM

The Black Unicorn is tripping out.

25. ramrene says: Sep 19, 2013 12:49 PM

Da-WONKA’s!

26. saintsfan87 says: Sep 19, 2013 1:08 PM

You will only be able to get into Soldier Field with a Golden Ticket?!?

27. howiehandles says: Sep 19, 2013 1:27 PM

This year has so refreshing vs the Lovie era.

Trestman always gives 100% of the credit to the players, and isn’t afraid to constructively criticize the team. Always answers the media’s questions respectfully. This is in contrast to Lovie’s arrogance and denials, and sticking up for players regardless of their performance and effort.

Bennett is a stitch. This is one of my favorite quotes by him in reference to his lack of touches during the preseason:

“He sees me; I’m 6-foot-7, a big black guy running down the middle of the field. He sees me,” Bennett said. “I wear white gloves, so he can see the white gloves when I wave them like Mickey Mouse. I clap when I’m open. … Even when I’m not open, I tell him I was open.”

28. texansdude says: Sep 19, 2013 1:31 PM

Trestman should have done his best Cleo McDowell and said: “If you want to keep working here, stay off the drugs.”

29. jayniner says: Sep 19, 2013 1:38 PM

So you get nothing! You lose! Good day, sir!

30. clemenza58 says: Sep 19, 2013 1:47 PM

michiganstillsucks says:

Da Bears will ROLL the pathetic Steelers.

They will be a pebble in the Bear’s road to the super bowl

——————–
    This is what I love about the Bears fan base. Give them a two game winning streak and they all think they’re Super Bowl bound. There is a reason Saturday Night Live did that Super Fans parity that will never die. It was a spot on impersonation.

Just as a reminder to the Chicago faithful, the only thing that really matters in the NFL is winning Super Bowls and 1985 was 28 years ago.

31. abomb80 says: Sep 19, 2013 1:49 PM

He may remind you of Willy Wonka. Personally, I think he looks way more like Slugworth.

32. bearshaterseverywhere says: Sep 19, 2013 3:58 PM

clemenza58 says:
    Sep 19, 2013 1:47 PM
    michiganstillsucks says:

Da Bears will ROLL the pathetic Steelers.

They will be a pebble in the Bear’s road to the super bowl

——————–

————————————————

Why do scared Steel heads not think before they post? Oh yea cuz they have brains of steel…

The Bears have 9 Championships and much more meaning to the NFL then the Steeler’s ever will. The SHeelers have 6 Championships and the last 2 you had were flukes…mainly the one in 2008. Read up on NFL history before you try to come on a Bears post and take Bear’s fans positive reaction and excitment the wrong way because your scared of Sunday night. The Sheelers are on a down fall, it’s not your place to make ignorant comments on a Bears post that has nothing to do with your under achieving team! 9 is greater the 6, FTW! Go Bears!

33. northstarnic says: Sep 19, 2013 4:02 PM

Perhaps Bennett doesn’t give himself enough credit. Based on his comments, he very well might be a genius himself. Classic stuff.

34. clemenza58 says: Sep 19, 2013 6:00 PM

bearshaterseverywhere says:

_____

First of all, “Brains of Steel?” That’s all you’ve got? Secondly, I didn’t know you had the power to determine what I can and can’t comment on. Thirdly, it is my place to comment on the Bears because I live in Chicago. All I was saying is that Bears fans always go overboard when they have a fast start. Your response supports my “Super Fans” theory.

I never said anything about number of championships. If you read what I wrote, I said “Super Bowls.” But since you brought the subject of championships up, let’s go there:

Yes, the Bears have won nine championships but eight of them were won prior to the modern day NFL. I’m betting that you weren’t alive for any of them and don’t know what years those championships (other than 1985) were won in without looking them up. Also, it’s much easier to win championships in a 10 team league with a playoff system that included just one post season game. The Steelers won their titles in the modern day NFL where there was an actual playoff system. In my opinion, their titles carry more weight than the Bears because they were won in a much tougher era. And unlike you, each title happened in my lifetime. Your theory that the Bears championships mean more to the NFL is ridiculous because the Steelers Dynasty of 70’s is way more celebrated than any era of Bears football. And there is no getting around the fact that the last Bears championship, Super Bowl or otherwise, was 28 years ago. What a great job they’re doing up there in Lake Forest.

There is no denying the fact that the Steelers are rebuilding but I am more than willing to go through a down season after the success the organization has had since 2001. I have all the faith in the world that the Steelers will turn it around in a year or two because their front office and ownership is amongst the best in sports. I’ll never be scared of the Bears because they are owned by the McCaskeys. Good luck with that.

35. bearshaterseverywhere says: Sep 19, 2013 6:38 PM

CORKmenza ^^^^^^^ Duhhhhhhhhhh!

36. saintsfan87 says: Sep 19, 2013 6:40 PM

They were just one Rex Grossman away from having a recent NFL title…

37. bearshaterseverywhere says: Sep 19, 2013 6:43 PM

Still laughing at CORKmenza….hahahahahaha!

38. larryboodry says: Sep 19, 2013 7:04 PM

Classic stuff by Bennett…And best of all, 3 TDs in the first two games.

39. larryboodry says: Sep 19, 2013 7:11 PM

Maybe filthy would care to enlighten us with what Mark Chmura used to lure the babysitter into the hot tub.

40. ricardocabeza says: Sep 19, 2013 9:11 PM

As a Bears fan all I can say is I am glad he plays good football. He’s like the wayward child of Ochocinco and Willy Wonka ( the creepy Johnny Depp one).

41. twobluegills says: Sep 21, 2013 8:45 AM

@ michiganstillsucks

Super bowl?? LOL!!
    Look it’s only common sense that the Bears will implode, they have been doing it since the Dave Wannstedt era and beyond. It’s comical to watch them throw to Brandon Marshall 80 percent of the time! Wow they beat the Vikings by one point, that ought to inspire fear in the Steelers this week.

42. larryboodry says: Sep 21, 2013 1:07 PM

Two blue gills, one stupid post.

80% to Marshall? ReallyMust be why Forte had 11 catches last week, and M. Bennett and Marshall maybe had 7 apiece. And have you even watched a Bears game since the Wannstedt era, or do you just repeat the trash talk you read on here from other posters?