Reporter stands by Matt Light-Aaron Hernandez quote

Matt Light AP

The reporter who quoted former Patriot Matt Light as saying he “never believed in anything Aaron Hernandez stood for” is standing by his quote after Light said this week that he never said it.

Light said in a radio interview this week that he was out in the woods working with campers for his foundation at the time those quotes surfaced, and that he hadn’t talked to any reporters. But Tom Archdeacon, the Dayton Daily News reporter who initially published the Light-Hernandez quote, gave me a detailed account via email of the time he spent with Light.

“I spent some 4 1/2 hours with Matt Light that day,” Archdeacon wrote. “He brought the kids from his camp to the Cox Media headquarters for a tour of the Dayton Daily News and the WHIO-TV studios that I set up. He even did an interview live on WHIO that day with Mike Hartsock. I bought he, his counselors and all his kids lunch at our media restaurant. We then took his group to our printing press in Franklin. While he was there, he got word his son broke his arm and I drove him 75 minutes north to the hospital in Greenville where his boy was. That night he returned to Dayton to throw out the first pitch for the Dayton Dragons game in front of 8,000 people.”

There’s no middle ground here. Light is flatly stating that he never talked to any reporters, and Archdeacon has given a thorough description of their conversation. My guess is that Light said what Archdeacon quoted him as saying, never expected it to become a national story, and now wishes he had just kept his mouth shut.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Reporter stands by Matt Light-Aaron Hernandez quote”
  1. jlinatl says: Sep 19, 2013 8:08 AM

Wait, if I say something to a reporter… it might get reported?

2. a49erfan77 says: Sep 19, 2013 8:16 AM

I don’t understand why Light would deny saying that.

3. touchdownroddywhite says: Sep 19, 2013 8:16 AM

Maybe Hernandez had his guys pay light and his kids a visit?

4. ctiggs says: Sep 19, 2013 8:33 AM

Way to represent the Gem City… Tommy Arch, Mike Hartsock, ……… Dayton Dragons are terrible though.

5. selmonfan63 says: Sep 19, 2013 8:39 AM

Matt Light’s next interview: “i didn’t say that I didn’t say that. As a matter of fact, I didn’t even do the radio appearance where I said that I didn’t say that. I was misquoted.”

6. nnagi says: Sep 19, 2013 8:42 AM

stay classy matt light…

7. kelmcc says: Sep 19, 2013 9:05 AM

Wait a second…!! Next thing you are going to tell me is that a member of the NE Patriots was caught lying.

Aaron Hernandez’s victims, Matt Walsh and Bridget Moynahan will not stand for such accusations!!

8. august1969 says: Sep 19, 2013 9:07 AM

he is making it worse….just shut up! it will all go away. hopefully it won’t come back to haunt you, in an SUV

9. giantssb42champs says: Sep 19, 2013 9:19 AM

He broke the ultimate Patriot Code.

10. thebigtim2012 says: Sep 19, 2013 9:32 AM

Or it was supposed to be off the record

11. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Sep 19, 2013 10:49 AM

That’s pretty funny how specific the reporter was about everything that happened that day. Everything he said can be easily checked out. It’s amazing that Light would deny talking to him. That 75-minute car drive must have been pretty awkward with no talking.

12. ampats says: Sep 19, 2013 11:39 AM

What difference does it make? How many people reading this post have worked with someone who may be great at their job but we wouldn’t want to socialize with of outside of work.

Anyone who believes anyone on the Patriots thought/ or knew that Hernandez was capable of such a despicable act is a fool. I’m sure multiple players might have known Hernandez had a dark side but hanging at strip clubs, smoking weed does not translate to murder.

The bottom line is that within 30 minutes of his arrest, the Patriots got rid of the cancer known as AH.

13. spitsfire says: Sep 19, 2013 12:20 PM

This guy helped take his kid when he had a broken arm and now Light is throwing him under the bus.

Stay classy NE.

14. thestrategyexpert says: Sep 19, 2013 2:11 PM

I’m still waiting for Matt Light to come out and say something to earn the respect back. Stop hiding from the truth and spreading deceitful misdirection. If you don’t want to talk then you don’t have to talk, but it seems like you have talked in the past by your own accord and now you are talking in a way that seems like you are trying to twist the truth of what you already talked about.

It’s time to clear things up, and with the truth.

15. fdugrad says: Sep 19, 2013 7:48 PM

I frankly don’t know what is so bad about the reported quote, and I do not understand why he would back-pedal. Who would blame him for not trusting AH?

16. killah81druggie says: Sep 21, 2013 11:26 AM