Tom Brady: I’ve never played against anyone as good as Revis

Getty Images

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady saw Darrelle Revis in a Jets uniform several times. As he prepares to face Revis in a Buccaneers uniform for the first time, Brady says Revis is the best cornerback he has ever played against, and he thinks Revis is just as good now, post-knee surgery, as ever.

“He looks like the same,” Brady said. “There’s nothing negative about his playing style, there’s nothing negative about his skill set. He can really do it all. He’s fast, he’s quick, matches up against small guys, matches up against big guys. He’s really long, he’s really strong, he’s patient. Some guys you really guess all the time and sometimes you guess wrong, he never guesses wrong. He’s smart, he sees the whole field. I’ve never played against anyone who is as good as him. He’s as good as there is that I’ve ever played against, so you just have to be careful when you throw his way because you know he’s going to be close.”

Brady named a few other cornerbacks he has played with and against whom he particularly respects, but he said that if he had to pick one who’s at the very top, he’d pick Revis.

“I mean there are some great corners I’ve been able to play against: Champ Bailey, Patrick Surtain, and that goes back a few years, but yeah Charles Woodson, I mean I love the way he plays the game still. But I mean Darrelle is certainly at the top,” Brady said.

One cornerback Brady didn’t mention was Richard Sherman, who may have something to say about that list. But in Brady’s mind, there’s no one like Revis.

85 responses to “Tom Brady: I’ve never played against anyone as good as Revis

1. Tom Brady “As the Most Over Rated Game Manager Ever, I’ve Never Played Good Against Any Good Defenses, Expecially Ones That Feature Good DB’s.

2. “One cornerback Brady didn’t mention was Richard Sherman, who may have something to say about that list.”

Hey Sherman, you mad bro?

3. You gotta respect Brady, at least I do. And thats not easy living in New England where I really do believe some people have a Brady/Belichek shrine somewhere. Anyway dude gives props where they are due, and he puts in work.

4. Brady has only played against Sherman once. Right now I’d rank Sherman ahead of Revis as top CB, but it’s close. Both of them are pure shut down corners that can take half of the field away from opposing offenses. Sherman’s game against SF was flawless, dude is a beast.

5. Just a big mind trip on Revis by Brady, talk him up get him over confident and then bam carve him up and serve him for dinner. Pats 31 Bucs 10

6. After all those years of playing against Vontae Davis and Sean Smith, it’s hard to argue with Brady on this one.

7. Sounds like Brady wants to be the starting quarterback for the Bucs!

I don’t blame him considering how of a crappie team he has right now named the Patriots!

8. As a Patriots fan I’m sick of Brady and the crap he says. Whatever team your playing they have the best CB,SS,DL or whatever it may be. Just stop blowing the other with your BB antics I’m sick of it.

9. Forsbergler-“never played good against good defences”-Best winning percentage BY FAR in the HISTORY of the nfl- get out of your basement, take your meds and get a job!

10. The players Brady mentions have all been league standouts over many seasons. Richard Sherman doesn’t have the time in to belong in that class.

Just as when the Pats played Seattle last year, Tom Brady doesn’t have to say anything at all for Sherman to spout of:

“Every TV timeout, I went up and said it right to (Brady): ‘Please keep trying me. I’m going to take it from you.’ That was when they were winning. He just gave me that look that said, ‘Oh, I’ll see you after game.’

11. I’m not a huge fan of revis, but just 2 seasons ago him and the jets were giving the pats a run for their money. People forget when him and ocho in his prime were goin at it, revis owned him and pretty much ended his career. Revis is probably the best corner of the last decade or two. Props. I wish he would play out a contract but at the sane time its a business

12. Brady’s smart enough to compliment – rather than insult – his weekly competition.

Belichick typically does the same thing.

That’s not news.

The news is that other players and coaches DON’T seem to be smart enough to do that.

13. He obviously didn’t mention Sherman because Sherman publicly humiliated Brady last year. Why would he give him any credit? It would just be acceptance that Sherman owned him.

Also, I can’t wait to see if Sherman takes the high road when the media pesters him endlessly about Brady’s comments, or if he gets all defensive like a whiny baby (Revis).

14. Historically, it seems to be that Champ Bailey has been a bigger problem for Tom Brady than Revis has. I don’t recall Randy Moss catching a one handed touchdown over Bailey, but I do seem to recall a certain AFC Divisional Playoff game where Champ had one of the most amazing interceptions I’ve ever seen off of Brady.

15. There you have it. HOF QB calling Revis the best in the game, and Jets fans still want to claim selling low on him was a great deal for them……I’m telling you watch out for the Bucs defense. After some thought, I’m willing to let Schiano off the hook until he tries to make a run with “his” QB. The Freeman situation is beyond repair IMO but I would like to see us make a run still.

16. Pretty sure Tom says “insert best defensive player on team here” is the best player he’s ever played against on a weekly basis.

He’s the king of talking up opponents.

17. If Revis can stick around in the league a little bit longer, then he can be mentioned with Woodson. Otherwise, Brady, get out of here. Your former Michigan teammate is the best. Sherman is the best, right now, but consistency and longevity is what makes a legend.

18. It would be funny if players started giving over the top props to Sherman. Start calling him the best to ever play. I am just curious as to how he would respond.

19. 1972 was a long time ago but it must have made quite an impact on you since you named yourself after it. All the years V. Davis and S. Smith were in Miami was how many years? Maybe first 3 yrs out of college? Tom hasn’t won the big game in more years than that and I don’t see him winning it this year either.

20. Shout out to Surtain!

Surtain and Madison were shut down corners in Miami for a few years.. Too bad we couldn’t get a QB

21. forsbergler says: Tom Brady “As the Most Over Rated Game Manager Ever”

LOL-

22. Wasn’t so much that Dion was such a good corner(he was though) he could intersept, return kick offs and punts well. What made him special was what he did after getting the ball.

23. ccjcsr says:
    Sep 19, 2013 1:03 PM
    Revis = Overrated

Deion was the best cover corner ever!

#21
    ——————————-

Have you ever noticed how well Revis plays the run? He may not have the pick 6’s (although he’s barely thrown to), but you could almost not be a better defensive football player than Revis.

24. Nickstixx says:
    Sep 19, 2013 1:03 PM
    I wish Denver could play Seattle this year in the regular season, so DT could just OWN Richard Sherman. Broncos would hang 30 on that Seattle D.
    ====================
    Definitely not if they played @ Seattle…. But Denver will come down to earth in the playoffs, Broncos have the easiest freak’n reg season schedule….

25. Nickstixx says:
    Sep 19, 2013 1:03 PM
    ====================
    ———————————-

What exactly makes you think this? Because last year we lost on a hail mary? Or because PM has been to 2 Super Bowls (Won 1) and has played more playoff games than any other starting QB? A defense that leads the league in turnovers currently? And all this without Von and Champ…How come you automatically assume that this will not translate into the post season? And please no ignorant reply.

26. broncogang says: Sep 19, 2013 1:44 PM

Nickstixx says:
    Sep 19, 2013 1:03 PM
    ====================
    ———————————-

_________________________________

Uh I know you werent talking to me but,

Peyton Manning playoffs 9-11
    Tom Brady 17-7

Manning has not played more playoff games than any other QB. Not sure where you got that one. He is a losing QB in the playoffs.

27. broncogang says: Sep 19, 2013 1:44 PM

Nickstixx says:
    Sep 19, 2013 1:03 PM
    ====================
    ———————————-

***************************
    Denver has a qb with a losing playoff record. Can’t stay away from throwing picks in important games. The only way you will find out if “Broncos hang 30” on Seattle’s D is if Sea/Den are in the SB. I’d say worry about the regular season. Because you never know which Manning will show up. The one that can lose you a playoff game. Or the one that can win you one.

28. Bradys played in the weakest division his entire career. Plays each team twice a year. Right now he’s 2 and 0 against so far nobody and barely beat them. As soon as his team has to play somebody tough we will see how good his team is. The Denver game is one game and the Texans is the other. They play weak teams this year. Weak division and weak schedual and still will lose in the playoffs. Superbowl winners? Not gonna happen this year.

29. 1972wasalongtimeago says:
    Sep 19, 2013 11:35 AM
    _______________________________

Also to all you people picking on the NYJ for trading Revis, you are SILLY. The NYJ former GM made a mess of his contract and he was coming off injury. I think it speaks well for the new regime that they did not throw good money after bad. It’s not that Revis isn’t great when healthy, it’s that Revis and the NYJ weren’t going to work long term ever again. And RR’s defense did pretty decently without him (and still is).

30. I just can’t wait to shut you Peyton haters up this year. He will be the 1st QB ever to win a Super Bowl with 2 different teams. And if he chokes I’ll come back here and admit I was wrong. But some of you give the guy no credit and call him a choke artist. I don’t know any choke artist that has been to 2 SBs and won one. And he didn’t have to cheat to win either

31. pastabelly101 says: Sep 19, 2013 11:38 AM

Forsbergler-”never played good against good defences”-Best winning percentage BY FAR in the HISTORY of the nfl- get out of your basement, take your meds and get a job!
    ***********************************************

That’s very easy to do when you know all the opponents signals and calls. Spygate wasn’t called spygate for no reason. Not to mention they just happened to be in the weakest division of all time when Brady got there. Not hard beating up on the Bills, Jets and Phins every year.

32. I’m a Pats fan and your defense has almost always spelled trouble for the Pats offense. Sure there have been some large scores, but until pretty recently, TB had one of his worst career passer ratings against Miami. I blame JT mostly. I love the guy, glad he retired though.

************************
    Now tell me why the Jet’s paid Mark Sanchez. I would take a one-legged Revis over Sanchez all day long.

33. Dick “The Night Train” Lane was by far the best CB ever. Followed by Rod Woodson, Mel Blount, Deion Sanders, Ronnie Lott, Darrell Green, Dick LeBeau.. I’m sure there are many others.

34. skinsfanwill says:
    Sep 19, 2013 3:44 PM
    pastabelly101 says: Sep 19, 2013 11:38 AM

***********************************************

—-

Yeah you know what other team played in a weak division and was very good for a long time? Montana and the 49ers.

What’s your excuse for the Patriots winning record vs every other division in the AFC?

35. I’m sure Pats fans can and should agree he is the best CB in the game. Why not Richard Sherman? Let’s see..does Richard Sherman get referred to as Sherman Island? No. Has Richard Sherman built a resume that signifies as him as the only true shutdown corner in the game? No. You can put Revis on the other team’s best receiver and worry about game planning everything else because Revis takes away one side of the field. QBs do not throw to Revis. Do QBs throw to Sherman? Let’s see Sherman do it game-in, game-out, year-in, year-out, and THEN start chirping. There’s a reason why Revis gets compared to the best CBs in the HISTORY of the game. He is that good.

Most people don’t realize that because he is a shutdown CB, he effectively creates a phantom pass rush, something the Jets never had, because the QB has to account for where is Revis on every play.

Listen, no disrespect, guys like Peterson and Sherman are wonderful players. Great CBs. But they are not shutdown corners. Doesn’t mean it won’t happen. But both are not quite there yet.

36. nyjetsfan08 says: Sep 19, 2013 4:12 PM

——————

Or, as has been proven over the past year, they’re bitter and defensive because Sherman owned Brady last year. See how succinct the point was made without a novel?

37. flash1283 says: Sep 19, 2013 4:10 PM

skinsfanwill says:
    Sep 19, 2013 3:44 PM
    pastabelly101 says: Sep 19, 2013 11:38 AM

***********************************************

—-

——————

Probably the same as yours for how/why the Giants OWN the Patriots.

38. “azarkhan says:
    Sep 19, 2013 1:13 PM
    forsbergler says: Tom Brady “As the Most Over Rated Game Manager Ever”

LOL-

New England has scored 500+ points in four of the last six seasons. 21 NFL franchises have failed to score 500 points even once.”
    ———-
    Azarkhan, thank you very much. I didn’t bother to look for the stats to repudiate such an ignorant comment, but you found the one that says it all!

39. Brady is good but the fact is he has NOT won a Superbowl in 10 years. Wait my bad..9 years. Put a fork in the guy HE IS DONE.

40. @MrWright.

Your silence on my post about Revis is the best CB in the game is dully noted.

Second, if you’re a Seahawks fan, you need to get off your high horse and chill with talking about the Pats. How many championships has Wilson and the Seahawks won? Oh, that’s right, none. They didn’t even get to the NFC Championship game last year. You’re as a egotistical as your team who has won NOTHING.

41. beachsidejames says:
    Sep 19, 2013 5:02 PM

0 0

Yeah because we don’t hear that every season from the haters.
    He passes for almost 5000 yards and had over 30 TD’s last year but now he’s “done”.

42. nyjetsfan08 says: Sep 19, 2013 5:05 PM

@MrWright.

Your silence on my post about Revis is the best CB in the game is dully noted.

—————-

1. I am a fan of the team that owns the Patriots.
    2. I am a fan of the team who can’t wait for you clowns to get your own stadium and get out of OURS.

Beat it.

43. Brady has turned into a big baby who knows he can’t win anymore. Showed way to much respect to the Jets in last weeks interview and now this…. Cry on sideline some more I loved it. Go Jets!!

44. i liked reading this statement form the perspective of a HOF QB. it was very interesting, in a similar manner, to hear tom talk in a similar fashion about ed reed a few years back.

45. Sorry Flash. Fact is that he threw for that many yards and still couldn’t even make to the superbowl.That was with a good offense. Now he has less of an offense with Welker gone and the convict not coming back anytime soon. Its over. Brady’s time is over. DONE. FINISHED.OVER!

46. It’s because Richard Sherman is a disrespectful prick, who continues to yak even after a loss (I shut down Roddy White PLEASE!)

Yes Revis talks trash too, but at least he closes his mouth after losing. Sherman is too egotistical to do that. Love how Joe Haden punked Sherman by calling Revis and himself the two best corners.

47. Can’t wait for Brady to play the Browns this season: “This is the greatest franchise I will ever face”

48. I love the haters. They’re great! And they have no clue. My favorite is the “easiest division” argument. Here we go. In the 4 years before Brady was the starter (97-00), the AFC East placed 9 teams in the playoffs. Do the math. That’s at least 2 teams per year, and NE didn’t make the playoffs in 99 or 00. I mention this because I read someone say that the AFC East stunk when Brady arrived in NE. Not true.

Since 2001, NE has missed the playoffs twice (2002, 2008). In 5 of those 12 years, at least 2 teams have made the playoffs including 3 teams in 2001. (Brady’s first year as the starter). In the 7 other years where only one team from the AFC East made it, NE did it 5x. NY and Miami were the other 2. Didn’t the Jets make it to the AFCCG 2 years in a row? Really, the only team that has truly sucked in the AFC East since 2001 has been Buffalo.

Also, in 2002, Miami, NY, and NE all finished 9-7. Only the Jets made the playoffs with the tie break. In 2003, Miami missed the last playoff spot to Denver on a tie break. In 2005, Buffalo just missed the playoffs. In 08, NE missed the playoffs in a tie break. IMO, the AFC East has been truly weak only the last 2 years NOT the whole Brady era as the haters like to spew.

49. I love the non-haters that can’t except reality. The Patriots can only beat the weak teams now. The wheels are starting to come off it shows. The last big chance they had was when they won every game except the important game against the Giants. They can beat Jets(barely) or the bills( another barely) and probably Tampa. Big deal.

50. Everyone has played against lots of better QBs than Brady

…at least when Brady doesn’t have Spygate or the ref making up a rule on the spot (coughtuckrulecough) to help him….