Trent Richardson: “I can’t believe it, I didn’t see it coming”

Trent Richardson AP

Trent Richardson was as surprised as the rest of us on Wednesday when he got traded from the Browns to the Colts.

“I turned on the radio and all of a sudden I heard,” Richardson told 19 News in Cleveland. “I can’t believe it, I didn’t see it coming from anywhere. I had a good relationship with everybody. But I guess it’s the best move for the Browns. At the end of the day it’s the best move for both of us, I guess. I wanted to be a Brown, I didn’t see it coming, but at the same time, I’m a Colt now, so now I’ve got to move on and get ready for Sunday’s game.”

Richardson said he assumed he would have a long career in Cleveland and that he wanted to be a big part of the Browns’ rebuilding effort. Now that he has been traded for a first-round draft pick he is a part of that rebuilding effort, but not the way he expected.

“I was really shocked,” Richardson said. “I bought my house here, I’ve been doing a lot of stuff in the community. I’m really shocked, especially for my family who have got to pick up and move. And also for my fans, I know I have a lot of fans behind me.”

Still, Richardson knows the new brass in Cleveland has to build the franchise in its own fashion, and the decision-makers who drafted him with the third overall pick in 2012 are long gone.

“It’s weird to me, but at the same time it’s a business,” Richardson. “I guess they know what they’re doing. Browns fans, please be behind them 100 percent. Don’t lose the fan base over this. Still root for them. Keep hope, because it’s going to happen. The Browns are going to be good for a while when it does happen.”

As for his new team, Richardson says he’s thrilled to be playing alongside Colts quarterback Andrew Luck.

“Me and Andrew have been good friends for a while,” Richardson said. “We were in the Heisman race together, we did stuff at the draft together. Andrew’s a good dude.”

Now Richardson will experience something he never expected: Taking handoffs from Luck in the NFL.

Permalink 90 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
90 Responses to “Trent Richardson: “I can’t believe it, I didn’t see it coming””
  1. smalltownqb says: Sep 19, 2013 12:01 PM

The kid sounds pretty darn professional to me. It also sounds like he realizes he is going to a better situation for his personal growth/stats. Pulling for him.

2. 12444uggg says: Sep 19, 2013 12:01 PM

That would be difficult for a family to have to make that adjustment, but welcome to the Colts family Trent! I hope this works out for both sides.

3. pooflingingmonkey says: Sep 19, 2013 12:02 PM

He should be delighted to have escaped the cesspool known as Cleveland. At least now he has a reasonable chance at success.

4. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Sep 19, 2013 12:02 PM

Banner and the Browns really blew it.

The Browns gave up a lot more than they got in return. It’s that simple.

5. cutlertomarshall says: Sep 19, 2013 12:03 PM

He’s saying and doing all the right things…glad to see that!

Not a Browns or Colts fan but I’m excited to see what those two can do together…

6. baddegg says: Sep 19, 2013 12:03 PM

Richardson sounds like a pretty classy dude. Even with the dysfunction in Cleveland, and finding out about being traded through the media, he has very gracious things about them and everyone. Kudos..

7. rowdymon says: Sep 19, 2013 12:04 PM

Wow, class act.

8. theallegedone says: Sep 19, 2013 12:04 PM

“I can’t believe it. I didn’t see it coming” = “Yay! I’ve escaped Cleveland! I’m the happiest person in the world!”

9. sd5547 says: Sep 19, 2013 12:07 PM

In terms of cities moving from Cleveland to Indianapolis is like going from a fat chick to a chubby chick.

10. hoops737 says: Sep 19, 2013 12:07 PM

Could you imagine Luck and TRich on the same team in college? Now translate that to the Pros, Colts are going to run that division for years to come

11. sikkcaden says: Sep 19, 2013 12:07 PM

Most interesting part of this trade was the fact Jimmy Haslam proved that he’s still a Steelers fan.

12. detroit2sd says: Sep 19, 2013 12:08 PM

Trent, i feel your pain, but you have much better chances of winning in INDY than in brown land

13. jtumen88 says: Sep 19, 2013 12:08 PM

colts are a top 5 team in the afc now. its gonna be fun to watch Luck and Trent together through the next generation of the nfl

14. filthymcnasty1 says: Sep 19, 2013 12:10 PM

It’s a shame he got traded right before he could tear up that hapless and tasteless Viking defense this weekend.

15. dalcow4 says: Sep 19, 2013 12:10 PM

Seems to me a pretty good trade for the Browns. Richardson is good but not great, and now the Browns have a good chance to get a real QB for the next 12 -14 years.

Patience, Browns fans. You weren’t going to be good with Richardson anyway.

16. thesmartest1 says: Sep 19, 2013 12:10 PM

I’m with you Trent.

17. jamesstinnett says: Sep 19, 2013 12:11 PM

Clevland browns are just making cap space to sign lebron james in 2014 lol. But for real, how does this trade make any sense?? Trading a proven player who is young and talented, for a draft pick that will be somewhere from 20 to 30? I know they are gonna package picks to try and get a qb, but how many draft busts have there been!! I dont see the logic in trading a proven guy for a pick that you have no idea will work out or not.

18. kaeptaincrunch says: Sep 19, 2013 12:11 PM

Cleveland sports fans just can’t catch a break.

19. 80sbroncofan says: Sep 19, 2013 12:11 PM

Trent Richardson and the Colts are the clear winner in this one. You don’t give up on a high draft pick after 1 season.

20. vascopinto123 says: Sep 19, 2013 12:12 PM

Neither Did We!

21. millerhour says: Sep 19, 2013 12:12 PM

Great move for the Colts and Richardson in the in immediate future. Wouldn’t be surprised if they win the AFC South.

22. klumpofbrownsadness says: Sep 19, 2013 12:14 PM

As a lifetime Browns fan, this is one of the most bizarre moves yet. I will attempt to write something slightly more profound when the shock wears off.

I suppose it could have been worse, we could have traded him to one of the AFCN rivals for a 6th round pick & a pack of used bubble gum.

23. t8ertot says: Sep 19, 2013 12:17 PM

Just goes to show how unprofessional and how things operate in the factory of sadness. Just do the fans of Cleveland a favor and move the team to la

24. thegenoatkinsdiet says: Sep 19, 2013 12:18 PM

“I guess they know what they’re doing…”

That’s a lot of faith in the Browns FO, Trent.

25. ctiggs says: Sep 19, 2013 12:20 PM

Your family is safer in INDY, in this is coming from an Southwestern Ohioan.

26. kosarkid says: Sep 19, 2013 12:20 PM

No one saw it coming Trent. In fact my wife texted me the news before I found out. I was thinking “silly wife just fell for an internet hoax”.

We won’t know for another 4 years whether or not this was a good move. We all pretty much liked TRich. So it’s easy to jump to conclusions about how the front office screwed up. But seriously… how many people would have thought that Brandon Weeden would have been a Brown longer than Trent Richardson?

27. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Sep 19, 2013 12:20 PM

This is the trade of the millennium!!! The Colts have now become the best team in the NFL. The FortyWhiners thought they were going to take advantage of no Colts running game and stop the pass. They now have to prepare for both. You thought Seattle rolled them last week, wait to you see what the new beast of the AFC does now. Update record prediction 15-1 !!!!! Take it to the bank. GO COLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. gpry says: Sep 19, 2013 12:21 PM

Classy response especially since he heard it from the radio first. That being said he gets out of Cleveland, probably laughed his butt off behind closed doors

29. theallegedone says: Sep 19, 2013 12:22 PM

Everybody keeps talking about the Browns drafting their qb of the future. And yes, it was the old regime that drafted Weeden. But even they should have known better than to draft a 30 year old rookie and think he was gonna be the answer.

30. salsendardo says: Sep 19, 2013 12:22 PM

How is he proven? Injuries and 3.5 YPC leave a lot to prove he can be anywhere close to being worth a 1st round pick.

31. loubearkane says: Sep 19, 2013 12:24 PM

Cleveland should be looking to move Joe Thomas
    You would think they have already talked to teams
    In Dec he turns 29 so next year 30
    He will be 33-34 before the team turns around and you will be looking for his back up.

32. trollhammer20 says: Sep 19, 2013 12:27 PM

Richardson keeps his contract, and goes to a better, team, so he really can’t be angry.

The only people who should be angry about this are those who bought replica #33 Cleveland jerseys, who are now proud owners of a $99 dust rag.

33. bcwildcat24 says: Sep 19, 2013 12:27 PM

The rest of the league can take a lesson from Richardson about how to react to being traded. He had every reason to be ticked. He gets drafted last year and not only does he already get traded, but he finds out through the media rather than from the Browns themselves. But he has remained classy and professional. He’s right. The NFL is a business. Best of luck to him in Indy.

34. steelcurtainn says: Sep 19, 2013 12:28 PM

Nice Work Haslam!!!!!The Steelers were wondering if you wanted to trade Joe Haden for Willie Gay.

35. jrbdmb says: Sep 19, 2013 12:28 PM

Ignore Colt McCoy! Ignore Brandon Weeden! Next year we’re going to really draft a franchise QB!

Really. We’re really going to next year. Honest.

Signed,
    The Cleveland Browns

36. bennyb82 says: Sep 19, 2013 12:29 PM

He found out via radio???

37. MyTeamsAllStink says: Sep 19, 2013 12:30 PM

Suck for Bridgewater 2014.

consolation prize is Clowney

38. bengalskuta82 says: Sep 19, 2013 12:30 PM

If he stays healthy (which I think he will because he has a very good QB so everyone wont be pilling up on him), the Colts will be a well balanced team like the Packers are.
    Good for you Trent. I know it sucks having to pack up your stuff but Indy will keep you for a long time.

39. swagger52 says: Sep 19, 2013 12:31 PM

Wait a second!!!

If anybody is going to steal something from Cleveland it is gonna be Baltimore: Ravens, Ogden, Lewis, 2 Lombardi’s, Newsome, etc.

Don’t mind me…just fannin flames

40. jiveturkeygobbler says: Sep 19, 2013 12:31 PM

Instead of needing a qb, they now need a qb and a Rb.

41. milkcan44 says: Sep 19, 2013 12:33 PM

He displayed a very classy attitude, and is going to a much better situation, even if he hasn’t realized it yet. He’ll be winning during the most productive years of his career.
    The only thing he’s giving up is free gas at the Pilot stations.

42. @HowdyDoobie says: Sep 19, 2013 12:34 PM

I wonder if the Colts were asked to throw Ahmad Bradshaw or Donald Brown in with the trade? It seems like the Browns pulled the trigger too quickly on this deal.

43. barbeaux says: Sep 19, 2013 12:37 PM

I wouldn’t feel too bad for Trent. I’ve been to Cleveland…it’s not my favorite city.

44. conormacleod says: Sep 19, 2013 12:41 PM

Why would you need to even make this trade to “package” picks for a franchise QB? They were already headed for the #1 pick. Last I checked you can’t draft any higher than that.

45. kelmcc says: Sep 19, 2013 12:43 PM

If Cleveland is counting on drafting the Clemson or Louisville QBs and these guys coming in as their Andrew Luck… they are going to screw this franchise for the next decade. That strategy will without a doubt fail.

46. fryeways says: Sep 19, 2013 12:46 PM

Put the Browns and Jaguars out of their misery. Then go back to 6 divisions of 5 teams each. Liberate the Browns and Jags players to free agency, restock the bottom group of the 30 leftover teams with the top talent from Browns/Jags and the league is more competitive as a result.

Jags fans become Bucs fans. Browns fans become Lions fans.

47. jaykray says: Sep 19, 2013 12:49 PM

I’ll say this, he sounds like a class act!

Take note young guys, this is how you handle business.

48. ccjcsr says: Sep 19, 2013 12:54 PM

Nothing in the NFL draft is guaranteed, Browns think they won the loettery with this trade but it could crippe them for the next 5-10 yrs…..wait they already stink!

#CowboyNation

49. dawgpoundjedi says: Sep 19, 2013 12:56 PM

As a Dawg Pound season ticket holder and a diehard Browns fan, I HATE this trade. We LOVE T-Rich here in Cleveland… what a bummer.

Indy… good for you guys. Amazing pickup… I hope T-Rich goes bonkers for you guys. We will definitely still be rooting for him here in Cleveland, no matter where he plays. He is a REALLY good guy.

50. davicusmaximus says: Sep 19, 2013 12:58 PM

What will they do about his helmet??

51. bandoy767 says: Sep 19, 2013 12:58 PM

From the outside, trading Trent looks mind boggling. But maybe Cleveland knows what they are doing. As a Golden State Warriors fan we’ve experienced something similar when Monte was let go. I think that decision turned out pretty good for both sides.

52. bigbensucks says: Sep 19, 2013 1:00 PM

Good Luck Trent. It’s pretty bad you had to hear it on the radio.

53. clickablecontent says: Sep 19, 2013 1:01 PM

Earnest question: Are there any NFL rules against a team intentionally tanking a season?

54. jamesstinnett says: Sep 19, 2013 1:03 PM

salsendardo says:Sep 19, 2013 12:22 PM

Are you serious?? Sure hes not rushing for 1400 yards a season, but lets remember he plays for the Browns!! Who else is on the team?? Teams stack 9 in the box all day on him.. Its a miracle he got to 950 yards his rookie season, and thats not even counting any receiving yards he had..

The Browns are a joke!! Trading Richardson, also using a first round pick on a qb that is 5 years older than your current starter!! (Pretty sure only team in history to do that) Everyone know he was gonna be garbage, but they still took him lol… I feel sorry for Browns fan, and thats coming from a Bengals fan, so you know its bad.

55. loubearkane says: Sep 19, 2013 1:05 PM

Think CLE is looking at Marquise Lee and Brett Hundley in nest years draft

56. Andre's Johnson says: Sep 19, 2013 1:06 PM

Colts got worked. They aren’t making the playoffs this year, so the pick will be in the 16-18 range. After the draft Cleveland will have a starting QB and another RB who provides essentially what Richardson provides.

Colts should have traded, at the very most, a second round pick with the condition that it become a first round pick if Richardson meets some incredible performance goals.

57. jdfrox says: Sep 19, 2013 1:09 PM

Classy comments.

58. mtygringo says: Sep 19, 2013 1:12 PM

“You stay classy, Cleveland”…

59. howiehandles says: Sep 19, 2013 1:16 PM

Really just an odd move, and a strange time for the Browns. Is this kid that much of an odd fit for their team, or do they know/see something that no one else does?

60. baddegg says: Sep 19, 2013 1:17 PM

ColtsWinColtsWin!! says:
    Sep 19, 2013 12:20 PM

—————

I didn’t know that Jim Irsay posted on this site…cool!

61. emoney826 says: Sep 19, 2013 1:20 PM

Hey Cleveland management,

Can the packers have Joe Thomas? We’ll give you a late first round pick.

62. norwegianwud says: Sep 19, 2013 1:20 PM

Very classy comments. I admire him for being open about being stunned, as well as how it will have an impact on family and fans. No “all about ME” attitude. Pretty cool.

63. baddegg says: Sep 19, 2013 1:21 PM

clickablecontent says:
    Sep 19, 2013 1:01 PM
    ————-
    Problem is, you can’t proove it…and disallowing a trade just because a team is strategically looking at the future would not be fair.

The best solution would be to go with some sort of draft lottery like the NBA does. Actually, I wouldn’t mind such a system…

64. telldatruth says: Sep 19, 2013 1:22 PM

Trenton Richardson, a poor mans Emmitt Smith

65. logicaldawg says: Sep 19, 2013 1:23 PM

@loubearkane, those are the 2 names that jumped out at me as well.

66. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Sep 19, 2013 1:24 PM

Afer reading those quotes, I am now a huge Trent Richardson fan.

67. bertyboz says: Sep 19, 2013 1:26 PM

So because of the trade the Browns made with the Vikings to get Richardson last year, this is in essence what they gave up for a potential 15-25 range 1st round pick in 2014:

2012 – 1st rounder (4th overall)
    2012 – 4th rounder (118th overall)
    2012 – 5th rounder (139th overall)
    2012 – 7th rounder (211th overall)

Yeah, seems like a real good deal for the Browns (insert sarcasm here).

68. jw1991 says: Sep 19, 2013 1:27 PM

Man, I gained a lot of respect for this guy. He is one of the few athletes in sports today that emits class. Wasn’t really a fan of his before but I certainly am now. Good role model and talented player.

69. darkneptune73 says: Sep 19, 2013 1:27 PM

He should be grateful that he’s gone because Cleveland never seems to be a smart place to be at, both at the city level and at the management level.

70. thermanmerman99 says: Sep 19, 2013 1:33 PM

people want the NFL to go to the same draft lottery as the NBA? the same NBA draft lottery that has been blatantly exposed for rigging draft lotteries? you dont think that sleezeball goodell wouldn’t rig lotteries in the same way seriously?

71. rsh1023 says: Sep 19, 2013 1:34 PM

in fairness to the browns (I am not a fan), in this world of social media and instant news….you can’t blame them for Trent hearing this on the radio.

shoot, you had the crackpot Indy owner tweeting about it an hour before the trade went thru

72. osidebrownsfan says: Sep 19, 2013 1:37 PM

davicusmaximus says:Sep 19, 2013 12:58 PM

What will they do about his helmet??
    ————————————————-

LMAO!! Good one Max!

I’ll miss TRich but the prospect of a real franchise QB is very enticing and with more picks who knows what will shake out. Here’s hoping Lombannski know what the hell they’re doing.

73. d10ballfan says: Sep 19, 2013 1:38 PM

As a Browns fan i wish TR well. He’s in a good spot.

In the long run it should be a good move for the Browns assuming Banner doesn’t screw it up like Holmgren did by not getting RG3.

Not to nitpick here but in another interview TR said he heard the news in a phone call from his agent. So, was it the media, his buddy who called him or his agent who told him?

74. purplehaze28 says: Sep 19, 2013 1:45 PM

I have a feeling they were talking to the Vikings about Toby Gerhart.

75. liltifer says: Sep 19, 2013 1:48 PM

It’s not as good as taking his talents to South Beach, but getting them out of Cleveland will only help his career…

On a more serious note, the Browns look to have quite a potent offense shaping up for the next 5+ years.

76. eatitfanboy says: Sep 19, 2013 1:52 PM

ialwayswantedtobeabanker says:
    Sep 19, 2013 12:02 PM
    Banner and the Browns really blew it.

The Browns gave up a lot more than they got in return. It’s that simple.

Nonsense. Outside of the top 5, running backs are the most easily replaced skill position players. A dozen free agent running backs off the street can replace the 3.5 YPA that Richardson was giving them. Only 5 running backs in the last 5 years have fewer runs of 20+ yards than Richardson. He simply has not been a game changing back.

32 out of 32 NFL GMs would take a mid-round 1st round pick over a running back with those kind of numbers.

77. eatitfanboy says: Sep 19, 2013 1:55 PM

bertyboz says:
    Sep 19, 2013 1:26 PM

2012 – 1st rounder (4th overall)
    2012 – 4th rounder (118th overall)
    2012 – 5th rounder (139th overall)
    2012 – 7th rounder (211th overall)

Yeah, seems like a real good deal for the Browns (insert sarcasm here).

=======

So because of what a previous front office gave up to get him, the new GM and President should compound the error by holding on to a running back with mediocre production instead of grabbing an opportunity to package a couple of first round picks next spring and possibly wind up at the top of a deep draft.

Got it.

78. cakesw says: Sep 19, 2013 2:25 PM

The “Mediocre Production” commnets need to stop. Watch film on the kid… He’s amongst the LEADERS in Elusiveness in the NFL, and it’s documented by PFF. He has to generally break a tackle and elude two more just to GET to the line of scrimmage…. Had he been on the Texans Richardson is probably a 1600 Yard 5.5 YPC RB…

He was the only offensive option in Cleveland, and he still was able to produce. I’d expect very good numbers from him in Indanapolis…

All while, the Browns management can thank Cleveland Season ticket holders for this year and telll them… “Just wait ! – We are going to be really good in a few seasons… just keep sending us the checks ! You’ll see !!!”

79. radrntn says: Sep 19, 2013 3:30 PM

bertyboz says:
    Sep 19, 2013 1:26 PM

2012 – 1st rounder (4th overall)
    2012 – 4th rounder (118th overall)
    2012 – 5th rounder (139th overall)
    2012 – 7th rounder (211th overall)

Yeah, seems like a real good deal for the Browns (insert sarcasm here).
    – – – – – – — – – — – — – – – – — – –

well if the browns want a qb they might need to compare it to what the redskins did to get RG3….in all reality 2012 draft class is one of the weakest draft class in recent history, where 2014 looks like one of the deepest in a long time.

80. radrntn says: Sep 19, 2013 3:35 PM

118th overall – jarrius wright
    139th overall – robert blanton
    211th overall – scott solomon

that is all you need to know

2014 – the browns select Terry Bridgewater

no , i think I would rather have wright, blanton, and solomon (and trent) (insert sarcasm here)

81. johnnyprc says: Sep 19, 2013 3:38 PM

At this rate Browns were going to have a franchise QB to draft no. 1 – AND you could have had Richardson.

Dump move, but it appears ownership has money issues.

82. kazkal says: Sep 19, 2013 3:39 PM

Browns are making a mistake,Well a good quarterback is important you can find them outside of the first round.

2011 is prime Example
    Cam Newton? panthers are terrible
    Blaine Gabbert? Fanbase wants tebow
    Jake Locker? What has he done? besides look below avg
    Chris Ponder? See Jake Locker

vs 2nd rounders like Kaepernick & Dalton who are both on Playoff teams because they had players put around them to have success.

83. kazkal says: Sep 19, 2013 3:43 PM

Also seriously if they wanted a QB that bad they should have told Coach just tank the season.Because it’s obvious that they are trying.

84. fahmundamahbalsaq says: Sep 19, 2013 4:18 PM

This one is too easy: (insert Cleveland Browns joke)

85. thefiesty1 says: Sep 19, 2013 5:36 PM

Cleveland didn’t tank this season hoping for next season. They were already guaranteed a poor season anyway. It’s just a typical stupid move by the Brown’s management. NOTHING has changed in Cleveland and it NEVER will.

86. kwjsb says: Sep 19, 2013 6:36 PM

Who didn’t see this coming, Lombardi said he would have never drafted Richardson or Weeden. Before the season started we needed at least 1 guard, a full back and a receiver with the ability to create separation and yes, catch the ball. Aside from Bess, they completely ignored the offense, Vonta Leach was released, no offer, Vickers was released, no offer, there are full backs not on rosters now and we moved a small RB to full back. They purposely sabotaged the offense to insure they would not succeed with these players. When your $30mil. under the cap, you could get a guard instead of converting a marginal tackle, you could get a fullback instead of converting an undrafted RB.
    Jimmy Haslam, you may “OWN” the Browns, but this is “MY”team. My grandfather, My Father, Myself and My sons.. You could have fielded a competitive team, but YOUR front office are to worried about, their guys, thier system instead of WINS. And believe me, we have heard it all before, Savage, Davis, Mangini, H&H, and now these CLOWNS.
    Winning is about today, and all we get is promises for tomorrow. You have an opportunity to be competitive NOW, but like everyone who preceded you, you allow them to blow it all up.

87. dirtdawg54 says: Sep 19, 2013 6:49 PM

So some people are crowing about Cleveland having two first rounders in next year’s draft during which they can pick their QB and RB of the future. But that’s exactly where they were two years ago when they drafted Weedon and Richardson.

Yah, that makes sense.

88. mwanning says: Sep 19, 2013 6:51 PM

“The kid sounds pretty darn professional to me”. He is now. He screwed up as a kid and has 2 daughters from high school. Their mother is long gone. That was the social norm in the low income area where he grew up. By the time he when to Bama, his mother got a new job, moved her and the girls nearby so Trent could be close to a full time dad. His brother moved to Tuscaloosa (home of Alabama) and helped also. He grew up a lot especially under the influence of Nick Saban. It seems his main reason for the NFL is not football but to provide for his girls. I think part of the shock in the trade is his mother and girls are in Cincy and now have to move.

89. ytownjoe says: Sep 19, 2013 9:23 PM

Good luck Trent. We’re going to miss you.
    Good luck Colts. I hope you make it to the Super Bowl.

God luck Browns. I hope you go 0-16 so you can get the QB you want. I also hope he’s good enough to play in the NFL.

90. fdugrad says: Sep 19, 2013 11:28 PM

It is difficult not to root for this young man. He handled his thoughts and comments regarding his situation in a mature and classy fashion. He knows it is a business, and it certainly is, however, hearing it over the radio speaks volumes about the chaos and complete absence of class regarding the front office of The Browns. I hope TR does well in a Colt’s uniform.