Add possession of marijuana to Aldon Smith’s list

Getty Images

As the news stacks up regarding this morning’s DUI arrest for 49ers outside linebacker, there’s plenty of reason to wonder if he’ll play this week.

According to Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com, Smith was also charged with possession of marijuana in addition to suspicion of DUI. He was arrested at 7 a.m., which means he was ostensibly on his way to work when he crashed his car.

The 49ers have issued the usual boilerplate statement, but they have also provided precedent.

Last season, when defensive tackle DeMarcus Dobbs was arrested on similar charges after a single-car accident, they left him at home while the rest of the team traveled to St. Louis.

Then again, DeMarcus Dobbs doesn’t have 37.0 sacks in 34 career games, and the 49ers don’t have to board a plane this week, as they host the Colts.

45 responses to “Add possession of marijuana to Aldon Smith’s list

1. Watch hypocrisy at work, anyhow 7a.m bruh u got a big big problem, must have taken that beatdown a little too hard. That hairstyle though lol

2. He was still drunk on his way into work. What a clod. Plus you add in the Mary Jane. Is it that hard for these idiots. Its your freaking job. Don’t drink, do drugs, and show up on time while you are being employed. I wonder how many of these guys had real jobs before they got into the NFL.

3. And the district attorney in San Jose is still considering whether to charge him for that house party shooting.

apparently he modified some assault weapons illegally.

If he gets weapons charges, his season could be over.

4. Whiners should release him immediately so that my Hawks can swoop in, snag him with our mighty talons, and put him on the straight and narrow.

This is a job for Father Flanagan!! GO HAWKS!!

5. How does Cali define DUI? Is that for all drugs, or just for alcohol?

I’m wondering if he was blazing in the car, and got pulled over for a minor traffic violation. Sounds a little more plausible to me than being drunk at 7 AM, but then, my college days are long behind me.

6. As a Niner fan I am extremely disappointed. We just got our **** handed to us and this guy goes and parties till morning when the next game is just two days away?

Niners have to send a clear message to him. Suspend him for the game and we can go from there. You know what if they lose the game because of it, then so be it.

You have to draw the line here.

7. trollhammer20 says: Sep 20, 2013 2:55 PM

How does Cali define DUI? Is that for all drugs, or just for alcohol?

==========================
    It was liquor + pot + pills.

He blew a .15

8. I’m sorry…he was in an actual accident (not just pulled over), with controlled substances in his possession, and this is the SECOND time something like this has happenned??? The NFL actually provides a car service to avoid this kind of thing and it’s not like he can’t afford a cab. They should charge him with felony stupid. He could have killed someone.

9. The drug testing in the NFL is a complete joke and its easy to understand why the NFLPA is fighting HGH testing for the players. They have it pretty good deal that they have no fear by lighting up during the season, yet look at the amount of morons who get caught. i believe there is a 1 month window in March to get tested (unless previously failed, then random) then they are home free for the rest of the season.

10. rasalghoul says:Sep 20, 2013 3:10 PM

Million dollar talent, fifty cent brain. Just watching some of these clowns talk makes you cringe at the thought that they have a college education.
    ___________________________________

Yeah in communications, or humanities, or general studies. Of course you assume they went to class as well.

11. lawchick35 says:Sep 20, 2013 3:00 PM

Everyone, let Aldon handle whatever legal woes his enduring at this time. This isn’t a matter for anyone to involve themselves with.

Sure thing.. Let’s not get involved talking about a player that has proven to be dangerous to himself and people around him. Not to mention the little fact that we as fans contribute to his millionaire status. SMH

12. I’m really not surprised. Guys already being sued by folks claiming they got caught in crossfire while trying to leave one of Aldons parties and now this? Guy needs to be benched for his own good, but he will play Sunday, because thats how the NFL works. Like someone else said, if he was a scrub he would already have been let go, but as he’s a starter so the fine and upstanding Niner organization will “look into it”. Even the teams fans are now the gangsta reps of the league (can you say Norteno???). The Niner fans now give Raider & Eagle fans a good name!!! Gotta love it!!!!

13. And this whole time I thought his perm was the non pot smoking type. “It’s hard out here for a pimp…try’n ta get that money for a rent.”

14. bucrightoff says:
    Sep 20, 2013 3:18 PM
    rasalghoul says:Sep 20, 2013 3:10 PM

___________________________________

————————————————————

More likely Black Studies, Jazz Studies, Multicultural studies, Peace Studies, Women’s and Gender Studies or Afro-Romance Literatures in Translation .

All are majors (or minors) offered by the Mizzou.

15. Didn’t Ahmad Brooks bash a dude’s head in with a beer bottle?

So I wouldn’t be surprised to see San Jose/Niners/The League all turn a blind eye to this.

16. I think he should accept all and any consequences, but as a Seahawks fan I do kind of sympathize, he had a horrible , horrible game last Sunday. I wonder if anyone game him a stern talking to in the locker room

17. jrmbadger says:
    Sep 20, 2013 2:58 PM
    trollhammer20 says: Sep 20, 2013 2:55 PM

How does Cali define DUI? Is that for all drugs, or just for alcohol?

==========================
    It was liquor + pot + pills.

He blew a .15

———————-

Well, The DUI(.15 bac) alone wouldn’t have been as bad(alcohol classes for 4 months and a $1,500 fine), but with California laws, the fact that he hit a tree while drunk means it is a felony(any accident that involves damage to another vehicle, property or pedestrian).

As a Niners fan I think the best thing for him is to serve some jail time, maybe that’ll sober him up, say 3 or 4 months…..hopefully his attorneys can postpone the court dates to after the season.