Rob Turner complains about J.J. Watt’s complaints about Turner

Tennessee Titans v Houston Texans Getty Images

Here’s another reason why we wish the Titans and Texans would be resuming their rivalry before Week 17.

Titans center Rob Turner has been fined for an illegal cut block on Texans defensive end J.J. Watt.  But Turner is now complaining about the fact that Watt complained about the low hit from Turner.

“I am a hard-nosed guy and that gets misconstrued sometimes,” Turner said, via Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean.  “I know J.J. was saying all sorts of stuff to the media down there about him [telling me he has] a family to feed and stuff like that, but all that wasn’t true and he’s full of it for saying it.  That was a lie about him talking to me.”

Watt claims that he confronted Turner after the play.

“I said, ‘You were clearly trying to take out my knee,’” Watt said. “And he tried to apologize. But you’re trying to take out my knee — that’s exactly what you’re trying to do.”

Turner acknowledges only that he tried to say something to Watt after the game.

“Whether you call it an apology or whether you call it a professional courtesy, I was trying to say, ‘Hey I wasn’t going after you like that, and you can see that on film,’” Turner said.  “And it bothered me he made a big stink about it.

“For the record, he wouldn’t even look at me, and I don’t have a problem if you put that in print.  In fact, I’d encourage you to put that in print and he’s full of it by saying that.”

Turner acknowledged that he broke the rules, but he explained that he simply forgot that the rules had changed.

“I’ve been taught to cut on screen [passes] ever since I was a kid,” Turner said.  “It was a rule change this year and it was something I didn’t think about, I just reacted.”

The ultimate reaction comes on December 29, when Watt gets a chance to face Turner and Chance Warmack, who has said that Watt is “just another guy.”

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans
11 Responses to “Rob Turner complains about J.J. Watt’s complaints about Turner”
  1. ccjcsr says: Sep 20, 2013 9:30 AM

Another overrated guy playing for the Texans!

2. 8to80texansblog says: Sep 20, 2013 9:33 AM

What is it with Titan O Lineman trying to downplay Watt after he owns them….?

Calling him a JAG or last year saying that “other than those 2 sacks, I held him in check”

2 sacks, two batted balls, two hurries… he was disrupting that offense all day. A big reason they went 4 or 5 straight 3 and outs….

3. tufram says: Sep 20, 2013 9:39 AM

I am sick of hearing these big tough guys whining all the time. They are getting paid millions to play a game. If they are going to be such whiners, go get a normal job like the rest of us where no one is going to hurt you.

4. jameswhite999 says: Sep 20, 2013 9:44 AM

Week 17 the Texans will be resting their starters after losing to the Broncos in week 16.

The Titans might “crush” TJ Yates and the backup crew.

5. davyholly says: Sep 20, 2013 10:32 AM

Nice to see defensive players not backing down on this. You barely touch an offensive player and you get a 15 yard penalty and a >15K fine but an o-lineman can blow out a pass rushers knee without any hesitation and we’re just supposed to accept it.

6. lionshawk says: Sep 20, 2013 10:56 AM

This guy is dirty! It’s been a whole 2 games with this rule and he thinks he can just say he has been cut blocking on screens his whole life and that it’s hard to just change. He needs a $100,000 fine and maybe a lot of media coverage hammering him for being such a dirty player. It’s not like it had been 1 game with the new rule. It was a whole two games!!! I swear Suh has to g……errr sorry move along nothing to see here.

7. htowntexan says: Sep 20, 2013 11:16 AM

I’m a Texans homer, but I think JJ is wrong here. The o-line man made a bonehead play in the heat of battle. He tried to apologize. Accept his apology and move on.

8. thestrategyexpert says: Sep 20, 2013 2:25 PM

Well JJ didn’t say “immediately after the play”, so on the context we can’t be sure he didn’t mean after the game which was after the play. It’s an awkward way to present the info, but JJ’s not required to use perfect grammar to get his point across. The next question needs to just determine did JJ mean on the field right after the play, or afterwards the first time they had a chance to talk after the play. That would make it not a lie, but rather just a less than perfectly detailed description that doesn’t identify the time setting of the conversation very well.

9. bullsonparade1977 says: Sep 20, 2013 3:23 PM

Who’s Rob Turner?

10. bullsonparade1977 says: Sep 20, 2013 3:29 PM

Yet, you take time out of your day to come to this website to read about and “WHINE” about these millionaires playing a game. Who’s laughing now?

11. flipola says: Sep 20, 2013 9:31 PM

Media and fans will side with J.J. Watt, because he’s J.J. Watt. “I’ve never heard of Rob Turner, so he must be in the wrong”.