Aldon Smith: I’m sorry and it won’t happen again

San Francisco 49ers outside linebacker Aldon Smith (99) reacts after sacking Chicago Bears quarterback Jason Campbell during the first half of their NFL football game San Francisco Reuters

After news broke that 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith will enter a rehab facility following his drunk driving arrest, Smith has offered an apology for letting things get to this point.

Smith told reporters in the 49ers’ locker room after today’s loss to the Colts that he is committed to turning his life around.

“First off, I wanted to apologize to the team, the organization, my family, everybody I let down,” Smith said. “I also want to let it be known that this is a problem and something I will get fixed. I’ll do everything in my power to make sure this never happens again. I also want everyone to know, once again, I’m sorry and like I said, this won’t happen again.”

Smith has great talent as a pass rusher, but there have been concerns about his off-field issues for as long as he’s been in the NFL. If he can follow through on his promise not to allow those off-field issues to interfere with his career again, he still has a bright future ahead of him.

Permalink 66 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
66 Responses to “Aldon Smith: I’m sorry and it won’t happen again”
  1. beastmode5150 says: Sep 22, 2013 8:51 PM

Awesome response ? Lol

2. dukeearl says: Sep 22, 2013 8:51 PM

Wow… great words Aldon… best of luck to you.

3. wrongsizeglass says: Sep 22, 2013 8:51 PM

He’s already done it twice. If he didn’t learn from the first time then I doubt he’ll learn from this one.

Unfortunately he’ll learn his lesson when he winds up in jail.

4. nfl4days says: Sep 22, 2013 8:52 PM

good luck man.

5. germanstingray says: Sep 22, 2013 8:53 PM

What a nice public statement penned by his defense attorney.

6. junglerat524 says: Sep 22, 2013 8:53 PM

put an interlock in your cars

7. gloryfromheaven says: Sep 22, 2013 8:53 PM

Next up, J.J. Watt

8. wearethesteelers says: Sep 22, 2013 8:54 PM

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

9. green41563 says: Sep 22, 2013 8:55 PM

“First off, I wanted to apologize to the team, the organization, my family, everybody I let down,” Smith said. “I also want to let it be known that this is a problem and something I will get fixed. I’ll do everything in my power to make sure this never happens again. I’m only smoking crack from now on, period.”

10. eaglesnoles05 says: Sep 22, 2013 8:55 PM

Good luck.

“Hey, you sure you can’t just play onnnnnnne more game real quick before you get help? Maybe two?” – ’9ers

11. curtispaintersbackup says: Sep 22, 2013 8:55 PM

Didn’t he say this last time?

12. seatownballers says: Sep 22, 2013 8:56 PM

Superbowl hangover

13. gillespie138 says: Sep 22, 2013 8:58 PM

That came from the heart, not some prepared statement like the majority of athlete’s, celebrities use. If he cleans up his life dudes going to canton. 49ers may be 1-2 right now, but once everything gets worked out watch out.

14. 509seahawks says: Sep 22, 2013 8:58 PM

get the help you need. too much talent to be throwing away.

15. elitekane says: Sep 22, 2013 9:02 PM

A good person doesn’t kick someone when they are already down. I pray for Aldon, hope he’s sincere and i wish him the best.

16. rbell2123 says: Sep 22, 2013 9:02 PM

I don’t think he will get the 25 sacks he said he would get this year.

17. beastmode5150 says: Sep 22, 2013 9:02 PM

Above reproach. He played today, just FYI. Dirtbag organization.

18. floratiotime says: Sep 22, 2013 9:03 PM

You’re not … and it will.

19. fdugrad says: Sep 22, 2013 9:05 PM

I sure hope when he turns it around he’s not driving!

20. ilovefoolsball says: Sep 22, 2013 9:08 PM

Sigh. Why did the coach allow him to play today in that pitiful performance (by the whole team)?

I think Garbaugh sabotaged the team’s unity and spirit by letting the drunk pill pooper play when everyone knew he shouldn’t have.

What a leader of men Garbaugh is!

21. kolbydoerge says: Sep 22, 2013 9:09 PM

What a joke! Shouldn’t all you bandwagon 9er fans be talking even more trash about your team? You sure had a lot to say about Seattle all off season. Your team is coached by a fool. You all whine about everything else that doesn’t go your way. Now he is going to rehab. After your season is pretty much over. Gggo Rams!

22. turtlehut says: Sep 22, 2013 9:09 PM

His coach will back him and let him play if Mr. Harbaugh thinks he needs him (even though Mr. Jim Harbaugh said everybody will be treated the same) Mr. hypocrite says: It’s all about the wins baby!

23. gillespie138 says: Sep 22, 2013 9:11 PM

Most of you are a real pile. Just want some of you to know that.

24. mrlaloosh says: Sep 22, 2013 9:12 PM

What he really mean is that he hopes he doesn’t get caught again.
    Hollow words, moron.

25. calicokiller49 says: Sep 22, 2013 9:12 PM

I know beast mode5150,ain’t talking trash, how many duis beast mode have, all you Seahawks fans are leaving that little tidbit out, the niner hate is getting out of control, are you guys that jealous that you spend that much time on the blogs trolling 49er articles.

26. lurchpapa says: Sep 22, 2013 9:17 PM

Class Act since day one! Wish him the best, and I hope I see him back on the field soon, with his throbbing muscles, pro bowl abilities, powerful throbbing leg muscles, and dedication and passion.

27. beastmode5150 says: Sep 22, 2013 9:19 PM

You know me? What’s my name?

28. shayeezy says: Sep 22, 2013 9:20 PM

eventually, having a scumbag coach catches up to you.

29. taylorgangtrippymane says: Sep 22, 2013 9:27 PM

The 49ers are 1-2 haha

30. sixjak says: Sep 22, 2013 9:30 PM

elitekane says:
    Sep 22, 2013 9:02 PM

_______________

Good point.

Loser. vvvv

_______________

beastmode5150 says:
    Sep 22, 2013 8:51 PM
    Awesome response ? Lol

31. gohawks89 says: Sep 22, 2013 9:31 PM

hate to be that guy….but…..
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

maybe next year whiners

32. machine64red2 says: Sep 22, 2013 9:34 PM

“A 7AM DUI, now that’s impressive” – Donte Stallworth

33. maiphatdong says: Sep 22, 2013 9:36 PM

you can’t fix stupid

34. johnnyprc says: Sep 22, 2013 9:38 PM

Come on fellow Hawk fans – not a time to gloat. Time and unforeseen circumstances befall us all, and this is something beyond football.

In the same spirit we clap when a injured player gets up from an injury – no matter the team – we need to wish him well.

35. acdc84 says: Sep 22, 2013 9:39 PM

In all seriousness I hope he comes back a better person, but it seems very hypocritical of SF to let him play a game before he goes off to his rehab.

36. myhawks1976 says: Sep 22, 2013 9:45 PM

fellow Hawks fans, please don’t clog this up with the classless garbage that Whiner fans are known for. don’t lower yourself.

that seemed like an honest response and statement from Aldon. as a Hawks fan the man scares the hell out of me. I wish hi the best in recovery. As a footbalk fan, theNFL is a better league with a healthy Alson in it.

goodnluck Alson. hopefully we will see you when we rematch in the bay.

37. sirdrinksalot says: Sep 22, 2013 9:48 PM

Nothing wrong with being a stoner, IMO. However, when you are a professional sports player you are setting an example for kids all over the world. You need to hold yourself to a higher standard. It’s his first offense NFL wise and I hope he learns from his mistake. The law may not let him off so easy, and they shouldn’t.

38. gohawks89 says: Sep 22, 2013 9:48 PM

you guys are right …sorry

39. lurchpapa says: Sep 22, 2013 9:49 PM

Hypocritical fans…. A. Smith deserves another chance to get his life in order, and then to come back with his throbbing muscles and dominate all the other football players.

What if her were your teammate? Your neighbor? Your son?

Amazing abilities, throbbing leg muscles, intelligence = perfect combo for the Hall of Fame.

40. htowntexan says: Sep 22, 2013 9:51 PM

Rehab is fine, but he didn’t hurt anyone and made practice. You guys are overreacting.

41. atleastimnotaraidersfan says: Sep 22, 2013 9:54 PM

Seahawks fans are quickly becoming the new raven fan. And that ain’t good.

42. FinFan68 says: Sep 22, 2013 10:07 PM

didn’t he say the same thing last time? And the time before that? Sorry means nothing unless you work to correct the issue. Just saying you will is more worthless than a PR apology.

43. citynative says: Sep 22, 2013 10:10 PM

Funny to see so many opposing fans rushing to Niner articles to post. Its ok; we can take it. It is the first time in 2 years of Harbaugh’s tenure, that our franchise is facing adversity. We are not playing well on and off the field, and have guys dropping left and right. So go ahead and crow in week 3. Don’t get sensitive when it comes back to you though.

For fans posting about Aldon. Go for it. Take the cheap shots. To all the Seahawks fans, just remember your running back has a hit&run, gun charge, and a DUI all on his record. And to the Ram fan, please research Leonard Little before you run your mouth.

44. 12thmanhawks says: Sep 22, 2013 10:17 PM

Whiners this is just the start of your long karma season.

45. saints4life57 says: Sep 22, 2013 10:23 PM

Don’t worry 49ers fans! He promised it will never happen again, so you guys have nothing to worry about! HAHAHA! Man what a harsh punishment that was, having to say sorry! What a joke!

46. bluebongzilla says: Sep 22, 2013 10:33 PM

Same ol’ shameful 49ers. He should have been allowed to play today. The Harbaughs stand for everything that’s wrong with the NFL.

47. ivanpavlov0000 says: Sep 22, 2013 10:34 PM

This is a good move. Typically judges will look favorably during sentencing when someone takes steps like this. The question is, what changes is he making in his life or is he just another Lindsay Lohan?

48. tokyosandblaster says: Sep 22, 2013 10:37 PM

…All Done Smith?

49. mariosydjerome says: Sep 22, 2013 10:39 PM

One day at a time.

50. beastmode5150 says: Sep 22, 2013 10:47 PM

City native, get your facts right. Oh, does the 5 dollar drink come with a free stabbing?

51. jrebar88 says: Sep 22, 2013 10:50 PM

Von Miller > Aldon Smith

52. handsomehawk says: Sep 22, 2013 10:50 PM

Harbaugh is the reason for all the nonsense going on with the Whiners.

I feel bad for stand up guys like Gore..stuck spinning with crap on his shoes.

53. blitz1969 says: Sep 22, 2013 10:51 PM

I’m surprised Florio hasn’t blamed Suh for Smith’s actions!!

54. orivar says: Sep 22, 2013 11:15 PM

“Unfortunately he’ll learn his lesson when he winds up in jail.”

Tell a drug addict that.

55. whatwhat2013 says: Sep 23, 2013 12:26 AM

All part of Aldon’s genius plan to get out of Harbaugh’s Forty-whiner team.

56. zenrooster says: Sep 23, 2013 12:39 AM

I am surprised the 49ers dont blame the seahawks…but I am sure it will come

57. bigbaldpapahawk says: Sep 23, 2013 12:51 AM

I hope that this young man gets the help he needs, gets his life clean and gets back to football.

58. ilovefoolsball says: Sep 23, 2013 1:16 AM

Not to mention he was responsible for contain on that play that Luck scrambled to the end zone. Smith has been victimized two weeks in a row on the same designed QB run play.

They figured him and Kaep out.

Exposed Niners are normally a good thing (for some of the locals )in downtown San Fran but not in this case!

59. joemontanafan says: Sep 23, 2013 1:25 AM

I wish they wouldn’t put the “report comment” option so close to the “like” “dislike” options. Sorry to those who I reported lol

60. jrp01980 says: Sep 23, 2013 1:45 AM

First ill start by stating im a die hard Seahawks fan, with that said, it is horrible all the comments I have read by many fans from many teams about Aldon Smiths DUI issues and seeking of help. I have my opinions about the issur and how it was handled and what id do differently. That being said, we should not use this incident and fan rivalry and banter due to the seriousness of the issue. Someone could have been hurt or killed and thankfully that is not the case. This is a huge issue in America today and I can only hope he gets the help he needs and others will learn from his mistake and the could have beens in the situation. Personal issues of players or serious matters should not be used to make one player, team, or coach look better than the other, this is a real issue and we all should be thankful no one was harmed and that Aldon is going to recieve help. It is in his court now, give him the roon and time to work o himself to get better. Who knows he could become an advocate against drunk driving and help others in the future. We all make mistakes and have to take peraonal responsibility for our actions whether they are positive or negative. I wish you all a great night and great season.
    Go Hawks!

61. joetoronto says: Sep 23, 2013 4:01 AM

atleastimnotaraidersfan says:
    Sep 22, 2013 9:54 PM
    Seahawks fans are quickly becoming the new raven fan. And that ain’t good.
    ***************************************************
    Yes, but the Ravens have actually won the Super Bowl, twice too.

62. gmsingh says: Sep 23, 2013 4:45 AM

“I’m sorry and it won’t happen again”–that’s just the liquor talkin’.

63. seahawks80 says: Sep 23, 2013 6:16 AM

From a Seahawks fan I wish him the best.

64. nananatman says: Sep 23, 2013 8:19 AM

Yes it will liar. The chant of the addict. Next time you’ll probably pin an innocent person between your car and the tree, hopefully it will be another junkie but it could turn out to be a good person.

65. sfsugator says: Sep 23, 2013 1:13 PM

he was still wasted when Luck did that flawless bootleg to score that had been set up all day by the run. his assignment was containment on that play.

66. tryingdaybyday says: Oct 8, 2013 12:22 PM

Aren’t so many of you so good at living your lives while doing no wrong day by day. It is usually the people who have the most problems in their lives that attack everyone else who messes up. All you judgmental haters out there take a look at yourself our family members…see any skeletons in those closets?
    I lived most of my life as an alcoholic and drug addict and each time it hurt my friends and family I would apologize, cry and say that I would learn my lesson. I meant it every time with all of my heart. It usually lasted 6 mos to a year before I messed up again. Once I got help and support from others who understood how hard it is to escape addiction I finally found the way to freedom. I praise God and Jesus, the Christ that they helped me overdone those problems. Now it is time to work on the next area of my life, there will always be work to be done! Why don’t you all take a good look in the mirror and see what moral weakness you need to deal with in your own lives!