Clay Matthews says he was pulled out of precaution

AP

The Packers lost 34-30 to the Bengals on Sunday and they lost several key players to injury during the game.

Linebacker Clay Matthews was one of those players, but he said after the game that he was pulled out of an abundance of caution after missing four games last year because of a hamstring injury.

“I’ll be good. I think today was more of a preventive measure than anything,” Matthews said, via the Green Bay Press-Gazette. “I felt like I could go back out there, but we have to be smart, especially going into a bye week. I don’t see myself missing any time. We have Detroit coming back and I’ll be out there.”

The Bengals’ comeback from 30-14 down started in earnest after Matthews left the game, although the loss was hardly directly attributable to any one person or just on the defense. That said, Green Bay badly missed a player who had a sack and two forced fumbles before leaving the game and it would be good news for them if he is fine in two weeks.

Tight end Jermichael Finley, who suffered a concussion, and running back James Starks, who left with a knee injury, will also be using the bye week to get well.

35 responses to “Clay Matthews says he was pulled out of precaution

1. “he could have went back out there” but we have to take precautions because we have the bye next week??WTH?? he wanted to be healthy for the bye week?. I think he just got scared, after seeing his teammates dropping like flies…WHO DEY!!!

2. With starters Brian Bulaga, Derek Sherrod, Morgan Burnett, Casey Heyward, John Kuhn, and Eddie Lacy out of the starting lineup, it really hurt to lose starters Finley, Starks, and Matthews; and even Jonathan Franklin, Packer’s RB3, for a few plays.

3. blackhawks2010 says:
    Sep 22, 2013 7:15 PM
    Welcome to reality Packers fans.

——

I guess I saw this coming. With the vikings losing and their fans inevitably disappearing, a new fanbase’s fans would get super excited about the packers being below .500.

I just didn’t expect it to be Bears fans, who, for the most part, I respect.

It’s just so sad when you see them get all excited, even though you know the bears will just falter in the second half of the year, and watch as the Packers go on to the Playoffs. Again.

4. As a Packer fan… i’m so sick of this. Every year it’s injuries and bad defense. Isn’t it time for a change in coaching in those departments?

5. blackhawks2010 says:
    Sep 22, 2013 7:15 PM
    Welcome to reality Packers fans.

__________________________________

When you say “welcome to reality”, what do you mean? If you’re referring to injuries, realize that Green Bay has been almost comically injury plagued the last few years, including the year they won the Super Bowl. Rodgers is the only player not to have missed significant time.

I would love to see your Bears even compete if you took away your best CB, Safety, every running back except an unexperienced rookie, tight end , best offensive lineman, and best pass rusher. “Reality” is that your almost entirely healthy Bears barely snuck by the Vikings (who just lost to Cleveland).

6. Rick Spielman is a Magician says:
    Sep 22, 2013 8:31 PM
    tokyosandblaster says:Sep 22, 2013 8:25 PM

Packers > Your team.

You know it, too.
    ______

Unless your team is better than 1-2. Or the 49ers, who are 1-2.

—-

Nah. Even then. 13 and counting.

7. hatesycophants says:
    Sep 22, 2013 9:11 PM
    McCarthy is enormous.

—-

But not as big as Suh’s list of dirty plays.

Oh, and McCarthy’s ring is pretty sweet. Much better than any of the Lions’ SB rings.

8. hatesycophants says:
    Sep 22, 2013 9:45 PM
    I didn’t mean to upset anyone. My only point is that McCarthy is an enormously fat man. So is Lacey.

Why stop there? Matt Stafford, too!

9. And here I thought they pulled Matthews so they can use the “We beat ourselves!” excuse!

But seriously, what’s with all the injuries the past few season? I know it’s been overblown a little over the years (like most of the guys on IR when they won the Super Bowl were back-ups) but this can no longer be considered an anomaly. What possibly could be the explanation?

10. @Spielman good to see your still kicking it Spielman, I would have thought after your team lost at home to a Cleveland Browns team with their backup qb in and their starting running back traded to the Colts you would have crawled into a hole for the rest of the year. I would advise you to, it is going to be a longgggg year in Minnesota.

11. As a Vikings fan, I’m not exactly a fan of the Claymaker. I’ll say this though, he’s been looking pretty darn good this year, and the Packer’s defense looks a lot tougher than I expected going into the year. The bye week is coming at a good time for Green and Gold.

12. Tokyosandblaster

The last I checked the bengals won Sunday and have beaten the packers 3 straight, and AR12 has never beaten the bengals 0-2 so you need to do more homework.

13. johnnyb1976 says:
    Sep 23, 2013 12:59 PM
    Tokyosandblaster

—————————————————-

Well Tokyosandblaster is a fan of the meat packers, therefore he is no friend of history or facts.