Report: Greg Schiano stays in Boston due to family medical emergency

Greg Schiano AP

The Buccaneers are heading back to Tampa with an 0-3 record after getting handled rather easily by the Patriots on Sunday, but their coach reportedly won’t be traveling back with them.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Schiano will remain in the Boston area because of a family medical emergency. No further details are available and Schiano did his post-game press conference and met with players in the locker room per usual.

During that meeting with the press, Schiano was asked if his team would stay together in the face of the adversity they’ve encountered thus far this season.

“It’s definitely a choice,” Schiano said, via ESPN.com. “It’s their choice. I have great confidence this team will stick together and this team will win. I believe they believe that.”

We hope that all is well in Schiano’s family soon and that he’s back to work at getting the team pointed in the right direction before too much longer.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
17 Responses to “Report: Greg Schiano stays in Boston due to family medical emergency”
  1. fdugrad says: Sep 22, 2013 8:45 PM

He has a family? Man, I’ll bet THAT’S a button-downed home life.

2. bucrightoff says: Sep 22, 2013 8:46 PM

Thoughts and prayers coach. Hopefully its alright.

3. floratiotime says: Sep 22, 2013 8:47 PM

Probably bad knee issues. He dives at all his relatives’ knees when they least expect it.

4. bucforever says: Sep 22, 2013 8:51 PM

Hope it is nothing serious! This team has had more than it’s share of hard luck! About time for a turn around! GO BUCS!

5. jetgreeeen says: Sep 22, 2013 8:53 PM

This is the real Circus in the NFL….he doesn’t make it to mid-season.

6. sepl12 says: Sep 22, 2013 8:57 PM

I hope his family is okay, but after these three weeks the bucs would be crazy not to let him go when their bye week comes up. He’s clearly not getting the job done with a very talented team.

7. sportsfan18 says: Sep 22, 2013 8:59 PM

Regardless of what one thinks of him as a coach, he’s still a person and has family like most all of us do.

His job is just a job. WE are all people and people come before work.

Hope it isn’t anything serious.

8. scratchnsniffnblog says: Sep 22, 2013 9:02 PM

Hope it’s not too serious.

Meanwhile, the Bucs have a family emergency of their own: Crying Uncle.

9. scottheis82 says: Sep 22, 2013 9:36 PM

Folks need to lay off this guy, I’m a Saints fan and despise the Bucs, but if something is going on with his family I’m looking at him as a human being and hoping that everything is alright.

10. jvw1982 says: Sep 22, 2013 9:39 PM

Hope all goes well with the family

After watching his QB in the preseason and now 3 games into the season, he needs to bench him and go with the back up….. Freeman is killing them, they good a good D, good special teams, good running game and WR who can catch…..Make the move and save your season….

11. bubbybrister/shovelpass says: Sep 22, 2013 9:49 PM

Hopefully, it is nothing serious.

Ordinarily, I’d take a knee and pray for him, but I’d be afraid he’d bull-rush me…

12. legeisyaj says: Sep 22, 2013 10:02 PM

I like this guy. I think he’s a good football coach, and these rough times remind me a bit of his buddy Belichick. Same type of discipline. I wouldn’t be surprised if he turns it around and/or gets another chance elsewhere in the nfl.

And, of course, hope the emergency isn’t as bad as emergencies can be.

13. richc111 says: Sep 22, 2013 10:08 PM

Hope all is well but I have a question. Why does the media hate this guy so much? Today during a game I was watching the put up a graphic for the othe teams in the NFC South. N.O. had Brees stats, Car had Newton and his stats and for TB they had a picture of thier coach and how he is now 0-3. Why didn’ they have a picture of Freeman and his stats and that he was 0-3. Why do they do that I ask?

14. paychrisjohnson28 says: Sep 22, 2013 10:09 PM

Sorry to hear about Coach Schiano’s family emergency, I hope and pray everyone in his family is OK whatever it is…

As for being head coach of the Tampa Bay Bucs… I believe this is the last season for coach Schiano as the Bucs coach, and I bet he will be back coaching a college team next season… Honestly, I think that is where he belongs…

15. thehuddleisondeathrow says: Sep 22, 2013 10:12 PM

Schiano is quickly joining the list of “Top 10 Coaches Who Should’ve Stayed in College” but that’s no reason to wrag on em for a family emergency. If its true….. Hope all is well coach. Go BUCS!!

16. thehuddleisondeathrow says: Sep 22, 2013 10:19 PM

@jvw1982- Freeman loss 2 games while sitting on the bench with a lead. Our defense let em down both times, otherwise we would be 2-1 right now.

17. realnflmaster says: Sep 22, 2013 11:03 PM