49ers officially place Aldon Smith on non-football injury list

Indianapolis Colts v San Francisco 49ers Getty Images

49ers linebacker Aldon Smith is on his way to an inpatient rehab facility and the team made a move to formally strike him off their roster while he goes through the program.

The 49ers have placed Smith on the reserve/non-football injury list and he’ll remain there as long as he remains on a leave of absence from the team. Both Smith and General Manager Trent Baalke issued statements released by the team in their announcement of the move.

“I am taking a leave of absence to address my health,” Smith said. “I am sorry that I have affected my team, my family and the organization. I will do everything in my power to handle this situation the best way possible. I appreciate the support of the 49ers and our fans.”

“Aldon Smith is taking a leave of absence to address a personal matter,” Baalke said. “The 49ers organization both respects and supports Aldon’s decision and commends him for taking responsibility for his actions. The long-term well-being of our players is paramount and we will stand by Aldon as he works toward addressing this issue. Due to the private nature of the matter, we will have no further comment.”

The 49ers have the right not to pay Smith’s salary while he is on the NFI list, although there’s been no indication that they plan to do that.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
10 Responses to “49ers officially place Aldon Smith on non-football injury list”
  1. ott2win says: Sep 23, 2013 4:25 PM

Leadership rolls down hill…like crap! #Harbaughstinks

2. doitbigreggiemckenzie says: Sep 23, 2013 4:30 PM

I root for the Niners to lose every week, but in this case, I root for this particular Niner to win this battle.

Best of luck to him.

3. mikeinsanfran says: Sep 23, 2013 4:36 PM

Kids is a massive talent. Get well soon Aldon.

4. ccjcsr says: Sep 23, 2013 4:39 PM

Dang Bro, No paycheck in your future!

5. justintuckrule says: Sep 23, 2013 5:04 PM

9ers collapsed under the intense pressure of der fuhrer Goodell. Otherwise, he wouldn’t have played Sunday.

6. nickynick04 says: Sep 23, 2013 5:06 PM

I m not a 49er fan
    I m a Packer fan wishing another human being good luck with his demons.

7. packfanaj12 says: Sep 23, 2013 5:16 PM

I m not a 49er fan
    I m a Packer fan wishing another human being good luck with his demons.
    ———–
    Pack fan here as well, I also wish this guy good luck, he is a heck of a athlete.

8. bigdaddy44 says: Sep 23, 2013 6:49 PM

It would be a shame to have another talented young man have his life and career go up in flames in this manner. Too often these type of problems are addressed by looking the other way, eventually causing a snowball effect. The 49ers are doing the right thing by trying to get ahead of this, and Smith has made a good decision by signing on. If more college and pro teams in all sports would take this path, many more lives could be saved from destruction. And on the cold business side, it is just good policy to try to preserve a valuable asset.

9. dedicatedhawkfan says: Sep 23, 2013 7:50 PM

Hawk fan here- and I wish him all the best in the world. It is a difficult decision to make, even more so being in the spotlight.

@bigdaddy44 – I wouldn’t be too quick with praising the team (i.e., owner or coach). From all that has been written in the media, it appears they were all about the team’s needs first.

10. thebigtim2012 says: Sep 23, 2013 9:02 PM

Yes kinda skeptical about if this was done purely to avoid a suspension or if he really wants help. If he does truly wish to get better than nothing but prayers and thoughts for him and his family but the way everything went down it kinda seems like this was done just to avoid a larger punishment. I really hope that’s not the case.