C.J. Spiller says he’s sore, but expects to play this week

C.J. Spiller AP

The Bills offense couldn’t figure out much against the Jets defense with or without running back C.J. Spiller in the lineup on Sunday, but losing him certainly didn’t help matters in what turned into a 27-20 loss.

Spiller had gained just nine yards on 10 carries before left in the third quarter with what the team called a knee injury. Adam Schefter of ESPN.com reports that it was a thigh injury, but the important thing is that Spiller said he expects whichever part of his body is bothering him to be fine in time for the Week Four date with the Ravens.

“A little sore but shouldn’t be nothing that will keep me out this week,” Spiller said, via Tim Graham of the Buffalo News. “Should be feeling better day-by-day, but just taking it slow. It’s a little sore right now. … As of right now, the plan is to see how it feels doing stuff, doing some treatment and doing everything necessary that I need to do to make sure that I’m ready. But come Wednesday or Thursday, ultimately the decision needs to be made — more Thursday — about if I’ll be able to go. But I think I should be good.”

The inability to get the run game going on Sunday led to a lot of obvious passing situations on third down and the Jets pass rush teed off on quarterback E.J. Manuel whenever that happened. Avoiding the same situations against Baltimore would be a step in the right direction.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “C.J. Spiller says he’s sore, but expects to play this week”
  1. gadzod says: Sep 23, 2013 1:24 PM

As much as I love the guy, I didn’t really notice he was on the field. He was not very good. Maybe the play calling had a lot to do with it, but we cannot have him be a non-factor like that again if they expect to be a competitive team this year.

2. dfields4 says: Sep 23, 2013 1:28 PM

The Bills this season have no imagination when it comes to running plays this season. It is sad to watch them run the same play over and over with Spiller, crashing him into the line, expecting it to work. That is the very definition of insanity.

Spiller is one of the most talented players in the NFL and they are wasting him.

3. arrooo says: Sep 23, 2013 1:29 PM

He is a huge BUST this year

4. twilson962 says: Sep 23, 2013 1:30 PM

This guy is KILLING my fantasy team. ARGH!?!?! Why did I get suckered into picking him? Why?!?!

5. corkspop says: Sep 23, 2013 1:31 PM

If the run isn’t working early, there are ways to open it up……. without making your rookie QB have to pass, pass, pass. End around, draw, screen, etc…

6. kgun80 says: Sep 23, 2013 1:40 PM

dfields4 you hit the nail on the head.
    They didn’t throw screens, they didn’t try a lot of edge runs. They basically handed off first and second down the entire first half. Teams know the Bills want to run as long as they aren’t spreading the field and taking shots down field they will see eight in the box and the running game will go no where.

7. ctiggs says: Sep 23, 2013 1:46 PM

I picked this guy #2 overall in fantasy. Apprently i should have picked the CEO/CFO/GM/COACH of the Buffalo Bills(Fred takes all the damn carries and gets all the damn catches Jackson)

8. shayeezy says: Sep 23, 2013 1:47 PM

shoulda picked jamaal charles

9. ccjcsr says: Sep 23, 2013 1:49 PM

Ryan put a little hot sauce on him!

10. FlashPatterson says: Sep 23, 2013 2:04 PM

So much for riding him early and often. Waste of a draft pick. Took him #2 overall, my team is 3-0 because of him. I’ve lost all 3 games by less than 10 points.

11. FlashPatterson says: Sep 23, 2013 2:04 PM

0-3.. oops

12. goawayeverybody says: Sep 23, 2013 2:07 PM

Please bench CJ Spiller so I don’t feel obligated to have him on my fantasy football team anymore. Sigh.

13. billsfan1 says: Sep 23, 2013 2:38 PM

welcome to loserville…
    people complaining about his performance because of their fantasy football team?

14. followme2boston says: Sep 23, 2013 2:49 PM

The Jets defense yesterday looked like the Zombies in World War Z. Relentless and sloppy, but very tough to beat.

15. blacknyellablacknyella says: Sep 23, 2013 2:55 PM

@billsfan1: I think that should be a sign posted outside Orchard Park city limits