Reggie Bush: I could have played Sunday, I will play Week Four

Detroit Lions v Arizona Cardinals Getty Images

The Lions opted to let running back Reggie Bush on Sunday against the Redskins, but it wasn’t because Bush thought his knee couldn’t hold up to the activity.

After the Lions’ 27-20 win in Washington, Bush said that he felt well enough to play on Sunday and mounted an unsuccessful effort to convince coach Jim Schwartz to let him suit up for the game. He also said that his absence will not extend through Week Four’s NFC North showdown with the Bears.

“I could have played today,” Bush said, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “I for sure could have played today, I just don’t know if I could have took a hit today on it. I practiced Friday, did a workout Saturday, ran. Everything was normal. I just wasn’t sure if I could take a hit yet. So that was the risk that we were dealing with. But this week I’ll be fine.”

Things worked out just fine for the Lions without Bush. Joique Bell had 132 yards from scrimmage in a fairly good Bush impersonation and the offense looked far more composed than it did in Week Two when Bush was forced out of the game. That’s a good thing to have under the belt moving on, as is the likelihood that Bush will be at or closer to 100 percent when he returns to the field.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Reggie Bush: I could have played Sunday, I will play Week Four”
  1. thekiy says: Sep 23, 2013 9:13 AM

Surely you could have found some way to insinuate that this was Suh’s fault and he should be suspended.

2. suhisbetterthanu says: Sep 23, 2013 9:23 AM

The lions will take care of business next week for a share of the division lead.

3. jjackwagon says: Sep 23, 2013 9:26 AM

Ever notice how fast players get well when their backup starts playing better than they were?

Lions should release Bush and play Bell.

4. gixrider says: Sep 23, 2013 9:31 AM

I wonder if the reputation of the field where the game was being played factored at all in the decision making.

5. sgtdiver says: Sep 23, 2013 9:53 AM

release bush? Wow that was stupid.

6. bennyb82 says: Sep 23, 2013 9:58 AM

If you are not sure you can take a hit to the injured spot, then you probably should not play. Chances are you will take a hit to the knee as a RB…and there is no point in bouncing in and out of games at less than 100 percent.

7. eaglesnoles05 says: Sep 23, 2013 10:11 AM

You could have played runningback in the nfl, but don’t know if you could’ve taken a hit on it? Is there a difference?

8. suhisbetterthanu says: Sep 23, 2013 10:20 AM

jjackwagon says:
    Sep 23, 2013 9:26 AM

Lions should release Bush and play Bell.
    ____________________________________

For a price of $4 Million a year I think we can afford to keep Bush on the payroll.

Thanks for the concern and insight.

9. PacificNWMark says: Sep 23, 2013 10:45 AM

Thank you Reggie my fantasy team misses you.

10. jjackwagon says: Sep 23, 2013 12:17 PM

Wow, some sensitive Lions fans this morning. Probably ought to drink you coffee and then look at the facts:
    Average productive life-span of an NFL running back – 3 yrs
    Reggie Bush has been in the league 7 yrs.

Going forward Bell will put up more yards and be more productive than Bush, IF given equal playing time. You heard it here first.

11. funktron2x says: Sep 23, 2013 12:58 PM

Bush has breakaway speed and is the best pass-catcher on the roster not named Calvin. Sorry, Jack, the comment was beyond stupid. Yes, Bell is darn good and we appreciate that, but cut Bush? really really dumb idea.

12. thetruthcampaign says: Sep 23, 2013 1:37 PM

Either Bush wears em down with speed and then Bell pounds through them, or the other way around. I don’t care.

13. afcdomination says: Sep 23, 2013 3:14 PM

RGIII should be reading this thinking “wow, maybe I should have sat out my first few games this year”