Report: Dolphins extend Jeff Ireland’s contract

Tampa Bay Buccaneers v Miami Dolphins Getty Images

The Dolphins are 3-0 for the first time in more than a decade, so they’re apparently confident in the future.

According to Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald, the team has extended General Manager Jeff Ireland’s contract.

His previous contract was set to expire after this year, which might at least subliminally be why Ireland spent a pile of owner Stephen Ross’s money on free agents this offseason.

Ireland took over as G.M. in 2008, and after making the playoffs his first season, he presided over four straight losing seasons.

But he also found what appears to be an answer at quarterback in Ryan Tannehill, and quarterbacks are the ultimate deodorant for coaches and front office types alike.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
34 Responses to “Report: Dolphins extend Jeff Ireland’s contract”
  1. trojanmaaaan says: Sep 23, 2013 1:37 PM

In Jeff we trust!

2. officialmiamidolphinsspokesperson says: Sep 23, 2013 1:40 PM

wow 365 ago we wouldve never saw this coming. Congrats Jeff, you earned it. Alot of people were angry with you and Ross for a while but i will be the first to admit that you put a great team together this year. Kudos.

3. sdisme says: Sep 23, 2013 1:41 PM

Color me skeptical.

4. craniator says: Sep 23, 2013 1:44 PM

I said last Summer that I wouldn’t trade Ireland for any other GM in the league ; he had one of the best offseasons in terms of acquisitions I think I’ve ever seen in nearly 40 years watching NFL football. Nothing I’ve seen thus far this season has changed my mind.

5. alwaysright1981 says: Sep 23, 2013 1:44 PM

And the Dolphin fans will pretend they liked him the whoooooole time…….. Until Mondays thrashing in New Orleans.

6. justsomerandomguy24 says: Sep 23, 2013 1:46 PM

Seems premature to me. He might turn out to be a solid GM, but I don’t know how three wins to start this year makes you confident that the previous 4 years were all flukes…

7. ccjcsr says: Sep 23, 2013 1:46 PM

Should be thanking Parcells everyday from turning a head scout into a GM.

8. pantsfreezone says: Sep 23, 2013 1:52 PM

They actually extended him quietly over the offseason. I hope Jeff is reading the “experts” words while smoking a fat cigar, smiling and stroking a white cat.

9. fins33 says: Sep 23, 2013 1:54 PM

I’m not usually the grammar police but I think you meant unconsciously when you said subliminally. There’s nothing subliminal about Ireland aggressively making the Dolphins a playoff contender.

10. staticphear says: Sep 23, 2013 1:55 PM

OMG! What are we thinking resigning this early? At least wait till the bye week.

11. brenenostler says: Sep 23, 2013 1:55 PM

Fins fans, be glad he wasn’t able to get Matt Flynn.

12. alwaysright1981 says: Sep 23, 2013 1:56 PM

His extension was already done. The report comes out now, due to a 3-0 start…….so Phin fans don’t have another Fireland Demonstration by the stadium. Smart move…this was already done a while ago, but recently released to keep the tears away from the silly fans.

13. 8drinkminimum says: Sep 23, 2013 1:56 PM

The “idiot” wing of the Miami fan base will go postal over this. A super bowl appearance would not alter that opinion.

Good for Ireland. The 2012 and 2013 drafts have paid dividends and it’s nice to feel the team can win it in the 4th Q as opposed to blowing it.

14. noahbird says: Sep 23, 2013 2:00 PM

Ross should’ve let some more of the season play-out. I’m still not sure Ireland’s done much w/ the LB core, OL and DB depth. This could get ugly. I hope I’m wrong being a Fins fan.

15. wheresmyjuice says: Sep 23, 2013 2:01 PM

This contract extension is 100% Philbin. Most underrated coach in the NFL and until Joe came in and turned this whole program around Jeff was just a guy with family ties to the NFL and was dead man walking.

16. craniator says: Sep 23, 2013 2:05 PM

The previous four years were not “all flukes” — the team was severely limited in their ability to sign quality free agents because so much dead money from players no longer with the team still counted against the salary cap — and those players were signed by Bill Parcells , who was still managing the team based on an early 1980′s philosophy.

17. thelastpieceofcheese says: Sep 23, 2013 2:05 PM

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. tedmurph says: Sep 23, 2013 2:14 PM

Stunned Miami fans are happy about this after 3 wins, as if that washes out 8 yrs of absolute ineptitude, where they got blown out in their only playoff appearence during Ireland’s tenure picking the players. Same fans that wanted to run him out of town on a rail previous to this yr. The same fans that don’t even bother going to the games.

Best offseason in 40 yrs after 3 wins? A little over the top. LOL.

19. craniator says: Sep 23, 2013 2:21 PM

But that’s just it — the players on the 2008 team weren’t picked by Jeff Ireland — that’s the part you Fins haters keep conveniently forgetting :-)

20. earpaniac says: Sep 23, 2013 2:24 PM

Other than the Brandon Marshall fleecing, he’s done a pretty damn good job, IMO.

21. finz4eva says: Sep 23, 2013 2:37 PM

I will be the first to admit a couple of years ago I too was calling for Jeffs departure but I think a lot of his failures were Sparanos fault for not letting Ireland know what kind of players he needed, in fact I don’t think Sparano knew what kind of players he needed. With Philbin actually knowing how to coach and develop players along with communicating and working with Ireland it looks like the Phinz might once again be relevant in the NFL. I also wanted Fisher to be coach but he wanted too much power and I think Ross actually made the right decision this time because it looks like this team is headed in the right direction and as for the “thrashing” on Monday night we will see about that. The days of the Phinz getting thrashed are over. So all you haters keep hating cuz this is the most complete team weve had since God Shula was here!

22. jonevans83 says: Sep 23, 2013 2:46 PM

Ireland was never going anywhere… and this proves yet again I was right. Also, How about that article attacking the Dolphins for taking Thursdays off? Sure looks like they are dominating everyone in the second half.

23. ishudbgm says: Sep 23, 2013 2:49 PM

COULD NOT BE HAPPIER AS A FINS FAN….Ireland gets my respect for cleaning up the MESS that Parcells left in Miami. I am a huge football fan and I have watched Ireland for the last few years and I am very impressed from him finding Cam Wake in canada, R Jones late in the draft as well as Solia, Clay, Clemons, Reshard Matthews, and Hartline in addition to upgrading roster spots that HAD to be upgraded. Dansby came into camp 30 pounds over-weight last year and Ireland made sure it did not happen this year. Ireland has done a good job in not chasing certain players that the fan base has asked for like Jake Long, Matt Flynn, VY and releasing players like Kendall Langford, Phillip Merling, Clyde Gates, and big mouth Channing Crowder. Most fans will not recognize this as a great move but man it is a wonderful move. This had to be done now or Ross could have possibly been in a bidding war to bring Ireland back…..Oakland, Clevaland, Jacksonville, Carolina, and Tampa would probably beat down Ireland’s front door. Furthermore if Ross had let this go into the offseason we would have had another big mess like sporano-harbaugh a few years back. Great move by ROSS, keep working hard Ireland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #FINSup

24. jonevans83 says: Sep 23, 2013 2:50 PM

Also, I love how they conveniently ignore the fact that he was extended WAY B4 THE SEASON STARTED. He didn’t just get an extension. Ireland was not and is not going anywhere. You won’t report that because it makes all those “playing for his job in a contract year” incredibly wrong.

25. denverwally says: Sep 23, 2013 2:52 PM

Why extend him now? He’s not going anywhere, and lets just suppose they actually end up… oh, 3-13 or even a more realistic 8-8, would any other team be lining up to sign this clown? Of course not. One 3 game win streak and the owner thinks they won the Super Bowl?
    The south beach circus continues.

26. silverhornet says: Sep 23, 2013 3:05 PM

Well, the season seems to be going well, 3 and 0… time to release some old news. Great PR move. It should be noted that not all Dolfans hate Ireland. And it’s only a 1 year extension.

27. scaredhitless says: Sep 23, 2013 3:18 PM

Joe Philbin saved him. He can flat out coach!

28. fin72 says: Sep 23, 2013 3:28 PM

fins33 says: Sep 23, 2013 1:54 PM

____________________________

I don’t mean to correct your correction, but I think you meant “subconsciously”.

29. scmems07 says: Sep 23, 2013 3:46 PM

dont you talk to me about grammer!

30. vaphinfan says: Sep 23, 2013 3:56 PM

The guy does a great job in drafts eventhough i’m still skeptical on the Dion Jordan pick and not taking Johnson.

31. DonRSD says: Sep 23, 2013 4:35 PM

LOL
    All the contracts are up in 2 years.

32. terrydelhomme2348408 says: Sep 24, 2013 11:37 AM

Bad move should have waited until the end of the season…because what if the dolphins lose 10 straight games? then Ross again looks like a complete fool….which by now he is surely use too!…at-least wait until the dolphins secure a playoff spot…

33. basedrum777 says: Sep 24, 2013 12:33 PM

Should be fired not re-upped. He’s a big reason we were losing for those 4 straight years. I wish the real world worked like sports contracts….

34. dolphincritic says: Sep 27, 2013 8:07 AM

The contract extension was done before the season so I have to assume that Ross was rewarding Ireland for what he had done up to that point; not what might happen in the near future. The 3-0 season has been a nice surprise for everyone. Ireland was rewarded for keeping salaries down. Ireland cut from the top of the roster to pay for the free agents they acquired in the off season.

I don’t care what we spend as long as we win. If we had kept key veterans and cut the lower end of the roster, these injuries wouldn’t be so important. The team looks great but we are starting to get beat up. Depth is our next personnel problem. Can you believe that we have a shot at being AFC East champs! GO DOLPHINS!