Cook says Favre could play “better than a lot of them out there today”

Favre Getty Images

When Brett Favre retired, I decided that he wouldn’t be regarded as actually gone for good until at least two seasons go by without Favre playing.

Two seasons have now gone by without Favre playing.  So, of course, his agent is now talking about Favre playing.

Today, he could play today,” Bus Cook said Monday night at a speaking event in Mobile, Alabama.  “I saw him the other day.  He’s in the best shape I’ve ever seen him in, physically.

“His arms look like a blacksmith’s arms.  He rides a bike probably 30-50 miles a day.  He runs four or five miles a day.  He’s coaching at the high school and they’re undefeated.  He loves it.  His body fat is 7.5 percent and he weighs 225 pounds.  He could play today, better than a lot of them out there today.”

Cook may be right.  There are plenty of bad quarterbacks in the NFL.  And Favre arguably is better, even right now, than many of them.

But none of this means Favre is inclined to return.  I’d always thought he’d consider a Roger Clemens-style half season with a contending team that needs a quarterback.

This year, there really isn’t.  Even if there were, the chances of a Favre return at age 43 (he’ll turn 44 next month) are slim.

Permalink 57 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Minnesota Vikings, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
57 Responses to “Cook says Favre could play “better than a lot of them out there today””
  1. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Sep 24, 2013 4:24 PM

Sounds like Bus is thinking about making a run at him.

2. nebster21 says: Sep 24, 2013 4:24 PM

Cowboys were recorded as saying they have interest in Farve

3. goawayeverybody says: Sep 24, 2013 4:25 PM

OMG please stop. Not the annual Favre retirement drama! AAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!

4. thegreatgabbert says: Sep 24, 2013 4:26 PM

Oh man, wouldn’t that be sweet.

5. jcmeyer10 says: Sep 24, 2013 4:27 PM

*Stares daggers at Blaine Gabbert* Hell Brett could do it in Levi’s.

6. r8rsfan says: Sep 24, 2013 4:27 PM

If Pryor’s concussion keeps him out I’d feel more comfortable with Favre than Flynn. Heck, would rather have McFadden play there than Flynn.

7. tcostant says: Sep 24, 2013 4:29 PM

Why does Favre stil have an agent?

8. westampa says: Sep 24, 2013 4:30 PM

Tampa would welcome you with open arms! Anything is better than Josh Freeman!

9. reesesteel23 says: Sep 24, 2013 4:30 PM

I agree Completely.

He would have to have the best O-line to ever walk the planet though. O-line couldn’t give up anymore than 1 sack every week…otherwise that old body would be mush

10. jjackwagon says: Sep 24, 2013 4:30 PM

And I bet Jeff George is still available too. They both need to give it up already.

11. allday28mvpmvp says: Sep 24, 2013 4:30 PM

Work him out. Why not?

12. bucrightoff says: Sep 24, 2013 4:31 PM

The Bucs would be 2-1 or even 3-0 if Favre was starting and not Freeman.

13. coltzfan166 says: Sep 24, 2013 4:33 PM

Vinny Testaverde was still playing at 43.

14. moondog7 says: Sep 24, 2013 4:34 PM

The Vikings would take him back in a heartbeat

15. lenbias34pt says: Sep 24, 2013 4:34 PM

Someone please get a picture (not below the waist) of this sub 10 % body fat bert Farve.

I don’t know why Cook is BS’ing the world other than he wants to be listened to, but i’m very confident this is all nonsense.

I’d bet Bert hasn’t run 5 miles in the last 2 years!

16. rpiotr01 says: Sep 24, 2013 4:35 PM

Favre is absolutely not coming back, but Cook is absolutely right. There are ten teams by my count with worse QBs than Favre.

17. scoops1 says: Sep 24, 2013 4:40 PM

noooo….no comeback….

just get in the HOF fame already…..

Favre should have gone in with this 2013 class

18. ccjcsr says: Sep 24, 2013 4:41 PM

Jenn Sterger thinks that would be a good idea!

19. brenenostler says: Sep 24, 2013 4:41 PM

I bet he’d be play better than Ponder

20. purplengold says: Sep 24, 2013 4:43 PM

please come back

21. brentswitzer says: Sep 24, 2013 4:44 PM

Jaguars, Raiders, Vikings, Giants, Bucs, & Cowboys should be looking for QB’s for the remainder of this season.

22. canadiantampa2fan says: Sep 24, 2013 4:45 PM

As a Bucs fan, I’ll take the drama. Would love to have an over-the-hill Favre on our team…

23. sbmcintosh36 says: Sep 24, 2013 4:45 PM

Please update your “Levis” comment to Wrangler or face legal actions.
    Sincerely
    Bus Cook

24. jwcarlson says: Sep 24, 2013 4:46 PM

I doubt he truly wants to play again. But if he did, why the heck not? He would be better than at least eight and probably more like 12 starters in the league right now.

25. broncostevenp says: Sep 24, 2013 4:47 PM

If any playoff caliber team suffers an injury to their QB (Denver comes to mind), then why wouldn’t they sign him?

26. genno334 says: Sep 24, 2013 4:53 PM

Come back to the Vikings as a QB coach and coach Ponder to be a stud! Then you’ll get your vengeance on the Packers!

27. malvaren18 says: Sep 24, 2013 4:56 PM

Favre come back one more time the league misses you.

28. ma5terbla5t3r says: Sep 24, 2013 4:59 PM

My favorite memory of him was watching his head bounce off the frozen ground courtesy of Corey Wootton. Seeing him laying there unconscious was one of the most heartwarming things I will ever see. That being said, I would love for him to come back. Who has the worst O-Line in the league? That’s where I want to see him wash up. Maybe he can ride a bike 30-40 miles to the right sideline and make a cross body throw into the middle of the field with his blacksmith arms.

29. 700iq says: Sep 24, 2013 5:00 PM

come on Vikes fans admit it you would much rather see Favre on the field over Ponder, right??

30. Go-Hawks! says: Sep 24, 2013 5:00 PM

Kaepernick has blown this season. Favre to the 49ers?

31. barneyrumble says: Sep 24, 2013 5:05 PM

No no no no no no no Please do not start this again, it’s been a pretty good year so far.

32. vikestud says: Sep 24, 2013 5:06 PM

Vikings need you!!!! We have great WR’s come back!!!! Pleeeeeeeeeeease!!!

33. carranofa says: Sep 24, 2013 5:14 PM

I have been a fan of Favre ever since he came to the Green Bay Packers. Even though he could never play for the Packers again I would love to see him take the field again.

34. filthymcnasty1 says: Sep 24, 2013 5:32 PM

I seriously doubt that Favre would even entertain the idea of playing for the hapless and tasteless 0-3 Vikings.

35. daroc88 says: Sep 24, 2013 5:33 PM

The old gunslinger! Love him or hate him, he made the NFL a little better, a tad more enjoyable! Just a common man, trying to win something.

36. halbert53 says: Sep 24, 2013 5:33 PM

Such is the sorry state of quarterbacking in the NFL that a decrepit Farve is still better than two-thirds of the starters. But, no thanks.

37. pftstory says: Sep 24, 2013 5:40 PM

Can we get an article about how one person thinks LT2 can play today, but won’t? How Phil Simms looks pretty fit and could play, but won’t.
    Marino is probably better than some QB’s today. He could play, but won’t. Can we get that “story” too?

38. thegreatgabbert says: Sep 24, 2013 5:47 PM

@ma5terbater – Wow, you enjoyed seeing Favre getting hurt more than the look in the cat’s eyes when you hang them from coat hooks? Or the screams from the homeless guy sleeping in the alley when you pour scalding coffee on him? Are you sure that’s your favorite memory? You must really hate Favre.

39. vikescry1 says: Sep 24, 2013 5:47 PM

look at all the viking fans begging on here!!! ppppppppppllllleeeeeeaaaaassssssseeeeee favre!!! come back brett!!! the funny part is the vikings past twice on rodgers in his draft, also passed on colin kapernick, and russell wilson. by the time the vikings get a qb worth a damn peterson will be retired.

40. rdav29 says: Sep 24, 2013 6:01 PM

Brett Favre doesn’t always drink beer…but when he does…

41. bobzilla1001 says: Sep 24, 2013 6:08 PM

As a Steelers fan, I’d love to see a quarterback who’s in “the best shape of his life” wearing the Black & Gold…

42. lrjets says: Sep 24, 2013 6:25 PM

ma5terbla5t3r says:Sep 24, 2013 4:59 PM

___________________________

I hope you see nothing beyond tomorrow.

43. mancave001 says: Sep 24, 2013 7:33 PM

Please please please! I hated BF until he was with the Jets. When he went to the Vikings and started playing the fools in the media every year on retirement, I started liking him more and more. Should have won the SB in 2010 were it not for the cheating Saints.

44. sah0620 says: Sep 24, 2013 7:40 PM

Favre is Bill Brasky?

45. nickynick04 says: Sep 24, 2013 8:02 PM

The only way I see Favre coming back , if Rodgers got hurt and was done for the year.
    And TT called Brett and asked nicely….
    I could see him coming back to play for the Pack under those circumstances.

46. anarchopurplism says: Sep 24, 2013 8:17 PM

Whatever

Nice fish-tale description of Favre’s physique & workout regimen.

47. gb4mn0 says: Sep 24, 2013 8:35 PM

This is hilarious to see all you hate filled desperate lavender Larrys making fools of yourselves.

48. jacksonjames4 says: Sep 24, 2013 8:45 PM

let’s go Buffalo

49. coffeypc says: Sep 24, 2013 8:52 PM

C’mon Man!

50. benniehifive says: Sep 24, 2013 10:19 PM

ok this will never happen but think about it—Favre come back as a backup for the Packers. he gets to retire as a Packer…all the haters will come around because he has humbled himself to the role of backup. all the faithful will be beside theirselves seeing that number 4 on the sideline again. he’s welcomed back to Lambeau. maybe they will make a movie about it.

51. fjd10 says: Sep 24, 2013 10:20 PM

I said it last week and I will say it again, FAVRE Watch!!!!!!!

52. gertrudegoat says: Sep 25, 2013 1:20 AM

Man, if he could still do it, it would be a blast to see Brett out there again. But if he came back & was washed up it would be horrible. If anyone could come back, it would be Brett!

53. chuckforeman44 says: Sep 25, 2013 6:38 AM

I heard the Saints already have a bounty on him.

54. ma5terbla5t3r says: Sep 25, 2013 9:26 AM

To all those who think my post about “my favorite memory of him was watching his head bounce off the frozen ground courtesy of Corey Wootton”, I ask you: isn’t karma rough? The self-aggrandizing nonsense that everyone had to put up with for years, coupled with ESPN willingly being his official network, was stomach churning. I consider that hit a fitting end (with a bullet) to a half-wit QB who wore out both his effectiveness and welcome in 2000. If it makes you feel any better, I also enjoyed seeing him get slaughtered by Arthur Moates as well even though he wasn’t knocked out.

55. filthymcnasty1 says: Sep 25, 2013 9:59 AM

I think ole Bert just wants to be known for more than his questionable cell phone photography.

56. araidersfan says: Sep 25, 2013 10:26 AM

Favre has ALWAYS craved attention. I found it quite funny with the drama he created but in all honesty I laughed much more at those who actually CARED about what he did or said off the field.

Now for those who want REAL comedy which isn’t premeditated then they should keep tabs on old Jerruh in Dallas – Favre can’t hold a candle to him for laughs or entertainment.

57. localoutlaw says: Sep 26, 2013 4:27 PM

Tiki Barber is flabbergasted no one will take a look at him…