Giovani Bernard wasn’t happy to see people leaving on Sunday

Bernard Reuters

Bengals running back Giovani Bernard, the first running back taken in the 2013 draft, has plenty of things to be happy about.  He has three touchdowns in three games, and he’s playing for a team that looks to be destined to return to the playoffs for the third straight year.

But Bernard has one minor gripe.  And it relates to his belief that fans at Paul Brown Stadium were heading for the exits when the home team’s 14-0 lead became a 30-14 deficit.

“Well the fans are doing a great job,” Bernard told PFT Live on Tuesday.  “I mean, just being there and just supporting us, whether we’re losing or not, they’ve done a really good job.  But I was a little bit disappointed this past game where I saw some fans leave.  I was looking into the stands and saw some fans leaving once we kind of got down to the 30-14 range, and it was a little upsetting. Then once we kind of got closer, once Terrence Newman scored that touchdown, you could see those seats started to fill up a little bit.

“So I don’t know if they went to get a drink or had to use the bathroom during that time, or whatever it was, but I started to see those empty seats pile up.  I’m not going to say they left, but we’ll see.”

We likely won’t see many fans leave any Bengals games early for the rest of this year.

To see (and, more accurately, to hear) everything Bernard had to say, click the box below.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Giovani Bernard wasn’t happy to see people leaving on Sunday”
  1. thegreatgabbert says: Sep 24, 2013 6:40 PM

Gio was especially disappointed to see several of his family members and friends leaving early. He had to go to some effort to get the free tickets for them.

2. mark0226 says: Sep 24, 2013 6:42 PM

If the seats filled back up again, then the fans obviously didn’t leave. They were just in the concession stands taking a break, much like the Bengals took a break to allow 30 unanswered points.

3. jgater1981 says: Sep 24, 2013 8:05 PM

Yeah Mark, just like Heat fans didn’t leave during that Championship Finals game.

4. annes22 says: Sep 24, 2013 8:44 PM

For god sake just play the game and stop worrying about the fans. They pay enough to watch, they can do whatever the hell they want. Sometimes it’s not worth watching!!

5. ravenzombie says: Sep 24, 2013 10:00 PM

Maybe he could have jumped in his girlfriends mom’s mini van and gone and rounded them all back up again

6. jjconley says: Sep 24, 2013 10:05 PM

This was definitely worth watching!

7. vottorific says: Sep 24, 2013 10:22 PM

Whoa, Gio, You’ve got some nads dude. I love it. What Ive seen so far in your three pro games is your faster than everyone on the field. Great player. Just don’t turn Chad Johnson on us and you will own this town.

8. bonniebengal says: Sep 25, 2013 7:09 AM

I hope Gio sees this. The stadium stops selling beer in the third quarter. There are always a lot of people going to concessions for last call then. That’s what it was. The stands were very full in the 4th quarter.

9. cincinasty87 says: Sep 25, 2013 10:25 AM

I was there , they didnt leave . People leave at halftime / late in the half always ends up being a crowd at the concession line . no biggie

10. cincinasty87 says: Sep 25, 2013 10:44 AM

O.R.O.Y.

11. burtomatic says: Sep 25, 2013 12:30 PM

He was probably paying attention to the club seats in the middle section of the stadium. They are all inside the “club” level watching on the big screens in there, eating their shrimp and drinking their wine. PBS needs to take about half of those seats to regular seating. Every game the club level is halfway filled up.

12. maximusprime107 says: Sep 25, 2013 2:44 PM

I don’t understand why people would leave either. You spending hundreds of dollars for the game, I’m staying till the very end. Maybe that’s just me